Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 23:58   #91
BHPian

Re: Lending Your Car to Someone You Know...

Its better to be honest in your reply like I do. I have denied lending car to a collegue by saying - 'sorry, I just don't lend my car' ..
I have denied another collegue from smoking in my car and told him to throw away that stick. After that he had a blown up face in office. Who cares?
Another collegue (pretty senior guy) who stays near my house proposed for a car pool to commute to office and I denied that because each of us would have dependency on one another and in emergency cases, it will be difficult for commuting. So on that note I explained my stand politely... but I understood from body language later on that he didn't digest that well. Who cares?

If they cant understand your reasoning, they are not worth to be in your life. Let your lips reflect your mind. Say no when you need to say no.

However, I will be more than happy to lend my car to my dad and brother who takes care of their own cars very well.

Last edited by Accent Martin : 5th November 2014 at 00:03.
Accent Martin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 00:03   #92
BANNED

Double standards?

I know a person who has no issues borrowing cars and bikes of his friends and relatives in India - every year during his vacations. But, he declines requests from the same relatives while they visit the US - claiming he is too worried about insurance and traffic rules, etc. As I know him, he would probably not even lend his bicycle. The double standards played by humans totally drives me mad. The golden rule for humanity should be to treat others the way you like to be treated. When this is followed, relationships will flourish!

In Kannada there is a saying "nimmadadre duddu, namdadre kadalepuri". Rough translation - If its yours its money, if its mine it is puffed rice.
Old 5th November 2014, 01:08   #93
BHPian

Like everyone else here even I am very uncomfortable in giving my car to anyone and there is no way that I would give my car to someone in my absence except for my immediate family.
I have a good understanding with my friends and then never ask me for my car.
I do trust a couple of friends as they drive really well n more importantly they get extra careful when they are driving my car
But even those couple of friends get my car only and only when they ask for it

There is absolutely no point in giving someone your precious belonging, and then worrying for it, it is basically a wastage of your precious time (spent worrying).
Old 5th November 2014, 06:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

I love my cars. And I am not at all comfortable giving it to others for a drive. Heck, I don't even opt for free pickup or drop during service due to this.

And I always make it a point to not ask anyone for their car keys, even for a short spin. And I think that definitely helps. All my dear and near ones don't ask me for the car. You know, its a two way street.

And if you really get an urge to drive any car, call the respective dealer to bring that car home. What are TD cars for? Or the best option, rent one.
Old 5th November 2014, 08:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

I never lend my car to anyone. Hard experience has taught me not to do this. Years ago, I had given my car to a friend for a 'test-drive' while I was in the passenger seat. After observing the cavalier way in which the car was treated, made me vow 'Never Again!!'
Old 5th November 2014, 08:17   #96
Senior - BHPian

Well, I have something similar coming up too.

I am looking for a short term work abroad and have been trying it for sometime.
My brother-in-law doesn't own a car, knows driving (rents Zoom cars frequently) and is a very sane driver. But is a very jolly person by nature and gets adrenaline rush too soon !!
Even though he hasn't taken me driving anywhere, because I grab the driver's seat, but occasionally when he has driven me, he drove sanely.

Now he has been pushing me to upgrade my car and sell the current one to him.
I am not in a selling position because my upgrade plans are not fixed.

So incase I have to travel, I want to retain the car.
The option I have then is to sell the car to him, or give it to him for use till I come back.

In either cases, I don't want to give the car to a relative, whom I cannot scold if he/she abuses my car.
If I sell it to an unknowing person and he/she abuses it outside my knowledge, I can't help it. But if my bro-in-law abuses it whether I sell or keep the car with him, it would really pain me.

I am in such a condition that I am now scared to take the abroad trip even. I am just holding back from letting go of my car.
Old 5th November 2014, 08:33   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Lets just say my relatives are too scared to ask me to lend my car to them. Those whom I trust, have no problem asking.
Let me give some context. When I was young, my mum had an Ambassador and a big house. Relatives would come and go and think it was their right to borrow the car, to the extent of not asking if it was convenient but overriding her on this.

I used to crib about the scratches/ damages - my mother used to say "If you lend it, you cannot complain about the state, it comes back"

Cut a long story short , her cars get abused. One day, she demanded my Tata Sierra and promptly decides to fit 7 people in to go to Ooty. I blow a gasket and refuse to lend my car out if you have that kind of attitude.

Since 2000, she also stopped lending her cars out and believe me, the past three cars were immaculate when I sold them off.

I dont borrow and again I avoid borrowing. If I do borrow, I try and return in a better condition that when I got it. My cousins in the UK lend me their cars but I take good care and they know it comes back after a clean up or some maintenance work completed!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 09:10   #98
Team-BHP Support

I used to be very possessive about my cars when I bought them. When I had to hand over my Ikon to my close friend to drive while we were on a trip, owing to my driving fatigue, I literally sulked in the back seat. My wife says that was horrible behaviour on my part. My wife stayed away from driving the Ikon seeing the tantrums I would throw later. It was just as described by many in the posts above.

When I got the Scorpio, it was easy to say no to people as it was company leased, and full responsibility lay on me. Most people understood. Ofcourse, I still let my close friends drive when on trips. It was apparent my phobias in this regard were diminishing.

A lot changed when I landed in a new country, and in the process of settling down. I realized how foolish I was when my friends here lent me their cars, as long as I had a valid licence. I have been in possession of the following cars which belonged to my friends, before I bought my own:

1) Mitsubishi Lancer for 1 month
2) Jeep Compass for 2 weeks
3) Toyota Yaris for 1 month
4) Subaru XV for almost 3 months
5) Toyota Camry V6 for almost 2 months.

It was needless to say that I returned the cars back after using them mostly much cleaner and better maintained than when I got them. I looked after them like they were my own, and never rash when driving them. Heck, not even a single traffic offence or a speeding ticket!

The essence here is that if you feel the person will look after the vehicle, by all means do share. But you need to make sure the other person is liable for their actions if the situation demands it. I now realize how difficult it would have been for me if I didn’t have these vehicles when I needed them. I am now more comfortable in lending my vehicle, and feel better about it too.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 09:18   #99
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I have a question here, of a non-sentimental or possessive nature -

I was once driving a friend's SUV, and was stopped at a police barricade for normal document checking. All necessary documents were available, and in my friend's name. I was carrying my driving license too.
However, the Traffic ASI (or some similar rank) said that this vehicle might as well be stolen, or misused for a Commercial purpose (renting it out).
I argued it out, that this belonged to my friend, and I had borrowed it.
He said borrowing is only allowed, if within family, or else the owner must be present in the vehicle.
Eventually, I had to pay for a Rs. 300/- Challan, which stated that 'the vehicle was being used for a Commercial purpose without permits'.

Since then, I have tried to scan the MV Act for guidance on this issue, but haven't been able to reach any definitive conclusion. What would be the forum's take on this, please?

P.S. This can also be cited as a reason to deny loaning of a vehicle.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 09:29   #100
Senior - BHPian

The person who is allowed to drives my car is only my dad whom I had observed right from my childhood and learnt to drive. No one else has the right to drive my car except my FNG mechie. It's off limits to everyone else.More or less I detest relatives as its nothing but a formality.
One time my friend was driving my car and he used to switch OFF and ON the engine with the AC ON. Moreover he used to shift gears as if he was driving a race car
As tsk had rightly pointed out a relationship is not worth if it breaks because of such issues.
Old 5th November 2014, 09:33   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Ok, I have a question here, of a non-sentimental or possessive nature -

I was once driving a friend's SUV, and was stopped at a police barricade for normal document checking. All necessary documents were available, and in my friend's name. I was carrying my driving license too.
However, the Traffic ASI (or some similar rank) said that this vehicle might as well be stolen, or misused for a Commercial purpose (renting it out).
I argued it out, that this belonged to my friend, and I had borrowed it.
He said borrowing is only allowed, if within family, or else the owner must be present in the vehicle.
Eventually, I had to pay for a Rs. 300/- Challan, which stated that 'the vehicle was being used for a Commercial purpose without permits'.

Since then, I have tried to scan the MV Act for guidance on this issue, but haven't been able to reach any definitive conclusion. What would be the forum's take on this, please?

P.S. This can also be cited as a reason to deny loaning of a vehicle.
So what happens when a chauffeur drives a white-board car to pick-up the owner from airport? chauffeur isn't family and owner is not present too. Does he get a challan?
ankan.m.blr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 09:41   #102
BHPian

In my case, my car and I are a little famous among my family and friends:

Not even one of them miss out complementing about the car's condition (inside, outside, engine, my care to drive it sanely etc.).

None of them have dared till now to ask me for the keys.
They've always been talking in the background that it's gonna be difficult to even think of borrowing my car.

But, hey, that works for me!
Old 5th November 2014, 09:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
So what happens when a chauffeur drives a white-board car to pick-up the owner from airport? chauffeur isn't family and owner is not present too. Does he get a challan?
I have no clue. We had gone through all these arguments, without any effect. The traffic police guy wasn't even interested in cutting a deal. He insisted on a Challan, and that is exactly what I had to pay. Now, he wouldn't be so sure, about his stand, unless he knows what he is doing?
That's why, my question is to understand, what the law really is, on this subject, rather than debating the variety of legitimate reasons when something like this might occur.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 10:32   #104
BHPian

This is one area I always feel guilty. That my friends and relatives without hesitation, many a times voluntarily give me their car, some times for days on. I some how do not feel comfortable reciprocating the same. But one thing I ensure when I borrow the car, it will be returned with much much more fuel than when I borrowed. Once I borrowed a Honda City from a friend for days on. One day prior to returning, the front bumper suffered damage for no mistake of mine. I made sure that the bumper was renewed and also the car got a good polishing done. When I returned the car it was looking brand new. When I explained to my friend, he said jovially " Dei! Next time take my daughter's or son in law's car. Both need some clean up and polishing done!!"
Old 5th November 2014, 11:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

If someone asks for you are, tell him:

1. There is some manufacturing defect in the tyres. They have developed cracked on inner sidewall. Claim approval is pending from the company. So, I am myself not driving it much. I can risk my life but not yours. Still, if you can't find any other option, I will be more than happy to lend you my car but you will need to get the tyres replaced first (cost around 20k). After all, nothing is more important than your life.

or

2. The engine sump guard is broken and company does not have it in stock, so I am managing with Araldite/M-Seal, etc. Too risky for you to drive like this.

or think of some more excuses like these.

I know they may think that you are lying but they will understand that you don't want to give your car. And it will not create your so bad/negative image in your family/relatives' eyes in comparison with a straight "NO".

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 5th November 2014 at 11:17.
mukeshgoel is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks