Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 16:19   #91
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I know the pain you must be feeling at something like this happening to a brand new car. Am curious to know though - who's fault was it? If it was indeed the other vehicle's fault then I suggest you file an FIR and pursue the case. I know it is a pain but if it was indeed his fault then you shouldn't let him get away scott free. I do hope you get your car back in its original pristine glory soon and enjoy many years of trouble-free motoring.

Which Magnum Honda service center are you going to? The one on kanakapura Road or the one in Yeshwantpur? If it is the latter, please do PM me and I will be able to help out in a small way.
Thanks so much for offering help. Its Magnum @ Kanakapura road.

Here's how it happened. I will try to explain in as much detail as I can.

On 01-Nov, I dropped my wife at Koramangala and I was coming back home. It was drizzling, rather raining mildly. I was coming from Adugodi side towards Dairy circle on Bannerghatta (BG Road). The time was about 0845 hrs.
As you get close to the Dairy circle underpass, on the left hand side, you will find the entrance to the Bangalore Dairy (KMF Central office Entrance). There is a gap in the median on B.G Road through which all the vehicles coming from NIMHANS side enter the KMF. I slowed down for a speed breaker and started accelerating. As I came close to the "gap in the median", I saw a canter approach the gap too. I was going straight. I obviously expected him to stop. To my dismay, he did not even see me and cut across. I rammed the brakes hard, but the car was too close to come to a complete halt. There was impact. The left side of my car hit the front left wheel of the Canter and the bonnet went under the 'carrier' part of the vehicle. The impact on the left side of the bumper near the left fog lamps mostly triggered the airbags. The airbags just braced my nose. Before the airbags deployed, there was cracking noise and an explosion. I had my share of Diwali 2 weeks before

As usual, a country of kids surrounded my car. I switched off the car and pulled it to a side. I was just wondering what to do next. Should I call the police? Should I call Honda Care? Should I call my wife who is in a training? Finally, I called everyone one after another. The Honda Care were more interested in how I would settle my towing charges of INR 1750. "Sir, would you make the payment by credit card or cash. Credit card will draw additional 2.5%". I am like, what's wrong with you.

Finally, I also called 100. The police came after about 1 hour. He saw, and asked me if I wanted to make an FIR. Meanwhile, the owner of the vehicle turned up. All he is saying is "Do an FIR, I don't care. I will not pay you a single rupee. Do what you want". These are his exact words. It was so frustrating to even discuss with these idiotic people. The driver of the canter even went to the extent saying that it was my fault and I hit him and must pay for his damages (and there were none).

I obviously had the "Right of way" but in India, does it even matter. The driver had not even signalled, neither were the indicators ON. Even if the indicators were ON, I was still so close to stop. My speed was about 30KMPH when I hit the brakes. At the contact, it was probably like 10-15kmph.

Meanwhile, I called my sales advisor at Magnum and he suggested that I get the vehicle towed to the service center as the Police case, FIR is a lengthy time/money wasting procedure.

All I now hope is that my Brio comes back in its original glitz and glam. Everyone's advising me to take it easy. I am trying hard.

Meanwhile, I thought, I must share my grief with fellow BHPians and people here are so kind. Feels better every time I check this thread.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
T
As you get close to the Dairy circle underpass, on the left hand side, you will find the entrance to the Bangalore Dairy (KMF Central office Entrance).
I know that crossing very well. It falls on my every day commute from MG Road to Dairy Circle, and almost each and every time, there is a truck from the Dairy Federation crossing into the gap in the divider from the other side of the road. I think the speedbreaker was placed there just for this purpose. Many a times, I have seen those moronic truckers carelessly fling the truck into the gap, mindless of oncoming traffic. ANd being a truck, most passenger cars have to stop and give way.
Old 7th November 2012, 09:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I obviously had the "Right of way" but in India, does it even matter.
============
Feels better every time I check this thread.
Sorry to hear about the incident. But airbags deploying at 10-15 kmph? That is alarming. Isn't there a speed lower-bound when the air-bags deploy? I would have hoped atleast 50 kph.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial

Sorry to hear about the incident. But airbags deploying at 10-15 kmph? That is alarming. Isn't there a speed lower-bound when the air-bags deploy? I would have hoped atleast 50 kph.
Airbags opening is a function of force and not speed. I understand what you are saying, but there was sufficient impact, I thought. I would have been surprised had the airbags not opened.
hellraizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 10:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelestial View Post
That is alarming. Isn't there a speed lower-bound when the air-bags deploy? I would have hoped atleast 50 kph.
In fact, if the airbags do not deploy at less than such a speed (50 kph) that would have been a huge cause for alarm. Recently, I suffered a frontal collision at not more than 30kmph, and I was thrown forward with considerable force, so
much so that my chest almost hit the steering wheel with the sudden inertia.

50 kmph is way too high a threshold, and high impact collisions can happen at much lower speeds, as hell raizer was saying. For starters, the other vehicle may weigh much more, or be travelling at a much higher velocity, thereby creating huge momentum (and consequently force) which it carries into the impact with a smaller vehicle (which might be moving even at snails pace). Airbag deployment would therefore be a function of force, rather than speed.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th November 2012 at 10:55.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 13:40   #96
BHPian

Are Honda spares extremely expensive, going by prices hellraizer has mentioned?
Old 8th November 2012, 14:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
In fact, if the airbags do not deploy at less than such a speed (50 kph) that would have been a huge cause for alarm. Recently, I suffered a frontal collision at not more than 30kmph, and I was thrown forward with considerable force, so
much so that my chest almost hit the steering wheel with the sudden inertia.

50 kmph is way too high a threshold, and high impact collisions can happen at much lower speeds, as hell raizer was saying. For starters, the other vehicle may weigh much more, or be travelling at a much higher velocity, thereby creating huge momentum (and consequently force) which it carries into the impact with a smaller vehicle (which might be moving even at snails pace). Airbag deployment would therefore be a function of force, rather than speed.
Yeah, you are spot on. I guess, 50kmph is too high a value for threshold. I was just going through some of the videos on youtube and also this amazing thread started by torquecurve.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-language.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
Are Honda spares extremely expensive, going by prices hellraizer has mentioned?
I guess, the spares are pretty expensive. The bad part is that the airbags part will have to be shipped from Noida and there is a lead time of 4-6 days. The service advisor now tells me, it will take 10 days

This means, I am not getting it before Diwali.
Old 8th November 2012, 15:33   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I guess, the spares are pretty expensive. The bad part is that the airbags part will have to be shipped from Noida and there is a lead time of 4-6 days. The service advisor now tells me, it will take 10 days

This means, I am not getting it before Diwali.
Not bad when you've dealt with Mitubishi service! I had to replace airbag assembly in Cedia when horn-switch went faulty. Furtunately was just 7 days within warranty. Took forever to get that, drove car without horn for couple of months

Trading in my lovely 10yr old WagonR for BRIO, hence was curious to figure out
Old 9th November 2012, 10:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger View Post
Not bad when you've dealt with Mitubishi service! I had to replace airbag assembly in Cedia when horn-switch went faulty. Furtunately was just 7 days within warranty. Took forever to get that, drove car without horn for couple of months

Trading in my lovely 10yr old WagonR for BRIO, hence was curious to figure out
I am quite certain Honda service is not that bad.
Right now, they are saying, the repair work will take about 15 days. Its at the service center since 01-Nov. That's 8 days already. Due to holidays in the last week, the start of work was delayed. Meanwhile, I have also logged a call with the Honda Care. I have quizzed them on why a part will take 10 days to be shipped from Noida to Bangalore. They promised me that someone will call me today. I will keep this thread updated with more details as I get.

I am really upset that the sales guys are not educating the customers about the Zero depreciation policy. It would have cost me only INR 2500 for my Brio. It would have saved me a min of INR 25000 that I have to now bear from my pocket.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on my service experience. I am more than happy to answer.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:19   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer

I am quite certain Honda service is not that bad.
Right now, they are saying, the repair work will take about 15 days. Its at the service center since 01-Nov. That's 8 days already. Due to holidays in the last week, the start of work was delayed. Meanwhile, I have also logged a call with the Honda Care. I have quizzed them on why a part will take 10 days to be shipped from Noida to Bangalore. They promised me that someone will call me today. I will keep this thread updated with more details as I get.

I am really upset that the sales guys are not educating the customers about the Zero depreciation policy. It would have cost me only INR 2500 for my Brio. It would have saved me a min of INR 25000 that I have to now bear from my pocket.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on my service experience. I am more than happy to answer.
Am quite shocked on learning that to put back airbags onto cars is super expensive that too for a car like Brio. I think it's best not to buy cars with airbags for driving within the city and that seatbelts should be enough to protect in case of minor incidents.

Of course safety is anytime a priority but incidents like this which costs quite high to repair literally burns a hole in our pocket.

Imagine how much a Volkswagen or a Skoda might ask for repairs like these!
Old 9th November 2012, 13:02   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Am quite shocked on learning that to put back airbags onto cars is super expensive that too for a car like Brio. I think it's best not to buy cars with airbags for driving within the city and that seatbelts should be enough to protect in case of minor incidents.

Of course safety is anytime a priority but incidents like this which costs quite high to repair literally burns a hole in our pocket.

Imagine how much a Volkswagen or a Skoda might ask for repairs like these!
Rather than compromise on safety like that, better way would be to go for a zero dep insurance policy. Then insurance will take care of your expensive repairs if any and the equipment (ABS/Airbags) would have taken care of the accident (hopefully). You should never under-estimate accidents - even in city speeds. Imagine a head-on with a truck or a bus.

Remember that is is not at all pre-determined whether an accident would be minor or major! I'd say carmakers should provide more safety technology in cars even at the expense of any other things. Our lives are much more important and should not be taken for granted. Money, one can always make if life gives another chance.

Last edited by joslicx : 9th November 2012 at 13:06.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 14:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

Rather than compromise on safety like that, better way would be to go for a zero dep insurance policy. Then insurance will take care of your expensive repairs if any and the equipment (ABS/Airbags) would have taken care of the accident (hopefully). You should never under-estimate accidents - even in city speeds. Imagine a head-on with a truck or a bus.

Remember that is is not at all pre-determined whether an accident would be minor or major! I'd say carmakers should provide more safety technology in cars even at the expense of any other things. Our lives are much more important and should not be taken for granted. Money, one can always make if life gives another chance.
Yes what you say is very realistic. Our lives are definitely more important than anything else and yes car makers should make airbags compulsory. Power windows, body colored bumpers, handles, fog lamps are least required, in this money saved they can provide an ABS or airbag instead!
Old 10th November 2012, 01:09   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
I think it's best not to buy cars with airbags for driving within the city and that seatbelts should be enough to protect in case of minor incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Rather than compromise on safety like that, better way would be to go for a zero dep insurance policy. Then insurance will take care of your expensive repairs if any and the equipment (ABS/Airbags) would have taken care of the accident (hopefully). You should never under-estimate accidents - even in city speeds.

+1 to joslicx.

I have personally seen such an accident inside the city, where in airbag saved life of the driver (driver was wearing seat belts). The collision was with a city bus inside residential township (Salt Lake, Kolkata).

As the members pointed out, a proper insurance will save you from hassles after such accidents, where in airbag was deployed.
Old 10th November 2012, 13:08   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Also airbags doesnt deploy on all impacts. Deployment of airbags is based on many parameters including mommentum of vehicle. So irrespective of you in city or highway if you travelling above a safe speed during impact guess airbags can be life savers.
Yes, replacing air bags after impact is a financial burden however guess its price for safety.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 10th November 2012 at 13:16.
Old 10th November 2012, 22:40   #105
BHPian

Get a proper insurance with zero depreciation policy. Period. The impact at moderate speeds even within city limits can be devastating. I see most people underestimate the very nature of force. After seeing some videos, I am enlightened. ABS and 2 front airbags have to be made mandatory, like in other countries. These 2 equipments save lives and for sure minimize injuries. No 2 things about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks