Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 13:31   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Small but significant damage to City

SG sir is right. It looks quite fixable by spot welding along with some denting. I think Honda guys should do it. In case they ask you to change the door, you may press them a little for repairing it as the expenses will be higher if you go for a change.

Regarding insurance claim, these new 2K paints are expensive and the whole area/panel will probably be repainted (& not just touched up); so you might have to claim the insurance. But decide about it only after getting an estimate for the repair. Keep an additional haircut of say about 15-20% to be on the safer side.

Rest assured, your car will be restored to former glory!

Last edited by saket77 : 31st January 2013 at 13:33.
Old 31st January 2013, 13:47   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Small but significant damage to City

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Will this electric spot welding process be carried out by Honda? I am a bit skeptical that they might say that we will have to change the sheet on the door.
Spot repairing is the best method for this damage and in my opinion some cold welding products would do the job here.
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:13   #153
Senior - BHPian

After accident advice needed - Ford Figo

Hello guys,

I am having to post this for a friend of mine since his membership hasn't been approved yet here.

Recently, a few weeks back, my friend was driving his Ford Figo to Kanyakumari (his home town) from Bangalore. While he admits that he indeed was going above 100 kmph, he was strapped in and is a careful driver. A goat suddenly jumped onto the road and he slammed the brakes. He says the car skidded though it was equipped with ABS and hit the median. He and his sister were fine since the air-bags deployed and also were wearing seat-belts.

He left the car at the Ford (near Thirruparangundram) ASC and we recently had a look at the car. Pardon my plain english as I might not know most of the technical terms but I will try to explain. His concerns (and mine) are:

* As you can see from the pictures, they have removed the engine and the support for the engine has been completely removed from the chassis. The ASC engineer says that this side was crushed and needed to be changed.

* The ASC says that they have the technical expertise and tools to have this section spot-welded back into position and they will mount the engine after that. Will this really be as strong? Are ASCs really capable of doing such work?

* Anything else that we need to be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-resized_img_20130125_142946.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-resized_img_20130125_142956.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-resized_img_20130125_143007.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2013, 22:33   #154
Senior - BHPian

Re: After accident advice needed - Ford Figo

Very sad to see a car in this state. I struggled hard to find a 'car' in the picture.I won't believe what ASC is saying and would go for a total write off. The entire crumble zone is gone and I am expecting a bill close to the cost of the car.

Last edited by poloman : 3rd February 2013 at 22:47.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:38   #155
Senior - BHPian

A Goat Caused that!! Should i really start thinking of changing to another car!!

What is the quote for the repair? Now that he is getting it done. The only option he has is to get it done through the dealer. No other choice.

But there is every possibility that the next goat might just end up in the cabin.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:41   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
The ASC engineer says that this side was crushed and needed to be changed.
* The ASC says that they have the technical expertise and tools to have this section spot-welded back into position and they will mount the engine after that. Will this really be as strong? Are ASCs really capable of doing such work?
Would be difficult to comment on whether the ASC is really capable of doing the work, unless one knows about the tools and jigs available at the body shop, and their technicians' level of expertise.

Suggestions:
1. Ask the insurer whether they'll cover the cost of a new bodyshell.
2. Send an email to Ford enclosing the photographs, explain the situation and enquire whether Ford engineers will inspect and vouch for the quality of work done in writing, and whether they will guarantee that the quality of work and alignment of the monocoque will be as good as original.

An improperly aligned setup and weld will plague the car with alignment, unusual tyre wear and suspension problems for ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
A Goat Caused that!!
A goat didn't cause that, a casual meeting with a concrete median did!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd February 2013 at 22:45.
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 22:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

As a rule, factory fit is always better than any repair work done afterwards.

However, with the correct equipment and trained staff, the difference will be minimal. Given this, you need to check on the equipment and staff. If they are good, don't really worry about the work that will be done.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 08:08   #158
Senior - BHPian

Very sorry to see the car in this state. Am glad your friend came out safe, thanks to Airbags. As pointed above, its difficult to assess the quality of workmanship of the Service center, unless someone has had experience and posts here.
But in your friend's place, I would contact ford and get an assurance that the repaired car will be as good as a new one, especially with regards to safety.

Else hope the repair workshop quotes an amount higher than 80% of the IDV, so that it can be written off and he can purchase a new one. In any case, even if this is repaired, I would recommend to sell it off and buy a new one, just for peace of mind.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 08:44   #159
Senior - BHPian

OMG, the car has taken quite a beating. Glad to know that the occupants are safe.

SHouldnt this be considered for a total loss even though Ford enginers have accepted that they can repair the chasis. Dont know if the structural integrity of the crumble zone will hold up after spot welding. The weak spot will remain IMO.

One question - are the roads your friend travelled worth for a 100kmph run?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 10:10   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
* As you can see from the pictures, they have removed the engine and the support for the engine has been completely removed from the chassis. The ASC engineer says that this side was crushed and needed to be changed.

Apron damage usually needs very high precision of work. Or else, the vehicle is surely bound to have alignment issues.

IMO, (its possible in Kerala) talk to the insurance guys, and ask for a total loss. They might not agree, but, if you can sell the car in as is condition, the insurance might refund you the remaining cost of the insured value. Considering, the repairs will be higher than that.

However, since the work has already started, not sure if its practical, but still worth a try as I mentioned, if work is not upto the mark, you will have problems in future.
Quote:
If the above mentioned is not possible, then, please send Ford an email, like SST suggested. Make Sure, the work will be done properly.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 10:44   #161
gemi_kk

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2013 at 12:56.
  Received Infraction
Old 4th February 2013, 18:52   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Very sad to see a car in this state. I struggled hard to find a 'car' in the picture.I won't believe what ASC is saying and would go for a total write off. The entire crumble zone is gone and I am expecting a bill close to the cost of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
A Goat Caused that!! Should i really start thinking of changing to another car!!

What is the quote for the repair? Now that he is getting it done. The only option he has is to get it done through the dealer. No other choice.
The quote he has been given is around 1.2L for parts etc and around 40K for labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
1. Ask the insurer whether they'll cover the cost of a new bodyshell.
2. Send an email to Ford enclosing the photographs, explain the situation and enquire whether Ford engineers will inspect and vouch for the quality of work done in writing, and whether they will guarantee that the quality of work and alignment of the monocoque will be as good as original.

An improperly aligned setup and weld will plague the car with alignment, unusual tyre wear and suspension problems for ever.
Yes, this is what I was worried about as soon as I saw the state it was in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Else hope the repair workshop quotes an amount higher than 80% of the IDV, so that it can be written off and he can purchase a new one. In any case, even if this is repaired, I would recommend to sell it off and buy a new one, just for peace of mind.
Yes, glad he made it out alive without any injury to him or anyone else. The safety devices and the crumple zone actually did their jobs. Yes, they have quoted around 1.6L for the whole job. Would that be 80% higher than IDV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
OMG, the car has taken quite a beating. Glad to know that the occupants are safe.

One question - are the roads your friend travelled worth for a 100kmph run?
Well, to be honest - the car looks worse than it was after the accident. There was no actual damage to the front side panel even. It looks a lot more scarier since they have removed the apron and the engine and car looks naked.

And about 100 kmph - it was on the NH7 - and I know how careful a driver he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Apron damage usually needs very high precision of work. Or else, the vehicle is surely bound to have alignment issues.

IMO, (its possible in Kerala) talk to the insurance guys, and ask for a total loss. They might not agree, but, if you can sell the car in as is condition, the insurance might refund you the remaining cost of the insured value. Considering, the repairs will be higher than that.
Yes, but friend tells me that the work has already started - he has paid an amount upfront too. Not sure if we can ask insurance guys to write it off now. Only option left would be to contact Ford and see how they can provide us an assurance that there will be no worries in future due to any shoddy work or even good work.

I appreciate all your inputs and my friend is actually following this thread. Thanks for that and can any of you also provide some details of someone to contact in Ford - someone higher up the ladder. Friend tried calling customer service and they gave the usual "everything will be fine" line. I would really like someone to be able to assure him in words - an email.
Old 5th February 2013, 17:50   #163
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

I had an accident in Krishnagiri last year and today when i reach home i received a letter from civil court of Krishnagiri that a petition is filed is against my name and the injured person is demanding 10 lac of Rupees as compensation. I observed that in the letter my name is at no.1 and the insurance company at no.2 and there is court session regarding this on 12th of Feb.

When i called up the insurance company and they informed that i need not worry about this and they will take care of it as they need to fight this case from their end and i need only come to court on day if they send me "summon" to explain what happened.

During the accident i was booked with a FIR under 279 and 337 and the hearing for it is still pending (already 4 months over) and now i get this. I am confused what to do now as i don't trust the insurance company because if they are not present at that day then i might get in trouble or this is the thing to be taken care by the insurance company only.

Can you guys please throw some light regarding this matter?

Thanks
.sourov
Old 5th February 2013, 18:30   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
..Can you guys please throw some light regarding this matter?
Please engage a experienced lawyer ASAP. Let the lawyer deal with the other parties.
Old 5th February 2013, 18:50   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
I had an accident in Krishnagiri last year and today when i reach home i received a letter from civil court of Krishnagiri that a petition is filed is against my name and the injured person is demanding 10 lac of Rupees as compensation. I observed that in the letter my name is at no.1 and the insurance company at no.2 and there is court session regarding this on 12th of Feb.

When i called up the insurance company and they informed that i need not worry about this and they will take care of it as they need to fight this case from their end and i need only come to court on day if they send me "summon" to explain what happened.

During the accident i was booked with a FIR under 279 and 337 and the hearing for it is still pending (already 4 months over) and now i get this. I am confused what to do now as i don't trust the insurance company because if they are not present at that day then i might get in trouble or this is the thing to be taken care by the insurance company only.

Can you guys please throw some light regarding this matter?

Thanks
.sourov
If you have not reached an agreement with the other party after the accident and the other party has filed a case, then this is standard procedure.

You need not worry much. As suggested by your insurance company, this is a case they will fight. You will only be required to visit the court if they send you a summons.

Your insurance company will take care of the compensation claim and you need not pay a single paisa towards it. The compensation claim case may take more than 5 or 6 years to settle. You will not be required to attend the court for the compensation settlement.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks