Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2019, 09:28   #17746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I love Bangalore* <conditions apply>

*offer closes today.

6 mins. That's what it took me to drive to office. What a peaceful drive, I wished that my office was much farther so I could drive more.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 09:53   #17747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Some of the u-turns/break-in-medians on old madras road have been closed - the one in front of Byappanahalli metro and the one at the Indiranagar BDA complex.
Whether it helps ease traffic needs to be seen.

Attachment 1921048
i stay in sg palya. if i cannot take right from srinivasapura main road to go towards hebbal, what are my options now?
Old 8th October 2019, 20:02   #17748
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
i stay in sg palya. if i cannot take right from srinivasapura main road to go towards hebbal, what are my options now?
Your options as I know:
1. Head out of SG Palya, turn left at HP petrol bunk, go inside DRDO township, take Varthur road (avoid Nagavarapalya main road) and turn right onto old Madras road at the signal.

2. Head out of SG Palya, turn right at HP petrol bunk, get onto Suranjandas road towards old Madras road, turn right at the signal.

*#1 will probably be faster despite slow moving section sometimes inside DRDO township near the Kendriya vidyalaya school.

#2 has more possible bottlenecks at Suranjandas road-old Madras road signal and Byappanahalli metro station.

Last edited by NPV : 8th October 2019 at 20:06.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 20:54   #17749
BHPian

A question for people driving big SUV like Harrier and Hector, how does one make a quick u-turn or 3 point turn in a busy road like the borewell road in whitefield without a heart in mouth situation. I find that in many roads there is no space to stop on the side and ask for directions when google maps messes up.
Old 8th October 2019, 21:04   #17750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
A question for people driving big SUV like Harrier and Hector, how does one make a quick u-turn or 3 point turn in a busy road like the borewell road in whitefield without a heart in mouth situation. I find that in many roads there is no space to stop on the side and ask for directions when google maps messes up.
Hmm.. You learn this on the job. Keep driving and you will be an expert at it in few years. You will even be confident to take turn with a truck on these roads.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 21:17   #17751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Your options as I know:
1. Head out of SG Palya, turn left at HP petrol bunk, go inside DRDO township, take Varthur road (avoid Nagavarapalya main road) and turn right onto old Madras road at the signal.

2. Head out of SG Palya, turn right at HP petrol bunk, get onto Suranjandas road towards old Madras road, turn right at the signal.
Thanks for your response. Before I saw your response, I did not realize about option#1 and hence I was planning to take option#2 on tomorrow morning. But after seeing your message, even I feel that option#1 may be better.
I have been staying in SG Palya since 2006 and I have seen how the traffic has increased on OMR from that time till now. Just 5-6 months back, I used to take 20-25mins to reach my office in Manyata. Since they started Benigenahalli underpass repair work and Manyata flyover, it has increased to 30-40mins. Now, i don't know how much more will be added from tomorrow. The main problem for me is, I don't get the parking space inside the main building of my office if i reach beyond 9.30AM. So, I will have tough time from tomorrow.
Old 8th October 2019, 22:12   #17752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingHuman View Post
I learned to ignore the honks and take the turn calmly ( and slowly if i may add, taking care of the over enthusiastic bikers who try to squeeze in)

Been thick skinned helps in Bangalore.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 08:13   #17753
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Thanks for your response. Before I saw your response, I did not realize about option#1 and hence I was planning to take option#2 on tomorrow morning. But after seeing your message, even I feel that option#1 may be better.
This addresses only the outgoing journey in the mornings, I think your bigger concern will be the return journey in the evenings. You will either:
1. have to take the narrow railway underbridge at Kasturinagar (painful when it rains), get to Old Madras road Pai layout junction, make a U turn and then make a left turn to SG Palya.

2. if you head back via Byappanahalli metro rear entrance and NGEF, then you will have to make a U turn near the Byappanahalli police station to head back to SG Palya (beyond 8pm the DRDO township gates will be closed so you cannot return via Varthur road-DRDO township).

Last edited by NPV : 9th October 2019 at 08:14.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 09:18   #17754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I have used Drivezy (https://m.drivezy.com/) for airport pick and drop. So far the experience has been good. Timely delivery of vehicles both at home and at the airport with fast check-in and check-out. The money saved is the icing on the cake. I paid 350-400 Rs on one side as compared to 800-900 of a usual ola/uber fare.

PS: I am not affiliated with Drivezy or any other car rental company and only sharing my experience using their services.
Thanks for this option. Is it booking allowed only via App ? And this 350-400 where is your home btw.
Old 9th October 2019, 09:40   #17755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This addresses only the outgoing journey in the mornings, I think your bigger concern will be the return journey in the evenings. You will either:
1. have to take the narrow railway underbridge at Kasturinagar (painful when it rains), get to Old Madras road Pai layout junction, make a U turn and then make a left turn to SG Palya.

2. if you head back via Byappanahalli metro rear entrance and NGEF, then you will have to make a U turn near the Byappanahalli police station to head back to SG Palya (beyond 8pm the DRDO township gates will be closed so you cannot return via Varthur road-DRDO township).
For me, return is not at all an issue as I have been taking option#1 since many years. As you mentioned, I avoid that route only when it rains heavily. Otherwise, I am good with this route.
So, unless there is a ripple effect of latest blockage, I don't expect any changes in the traffic on my return route.
Btw, I took 49mins today to reach office. It is more than 15mins added to my commute time. I had to wait for signal 3 times at Varthur junction. I don’t know whether this is common at this time or because of the blockage it is increased? Anyway, one thing I found was, there was almost zero traffic all the way from my home till I reached the Vishwa Vihar. Is this because of blockage on OMR which is forcing the cabbies to avoid Srinivaspura Main road to reach Bagmane Tech park? Otherwise, the traffic would be really bad from Ganesh Temple till HP Petrol Pump on those narrow roads. Need to wait and watch for few more days.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 09:47   #17756
BHPian

The new changes on Old Madras road seems to have ripple effect at all junctions. The traffic buildup at each junction starting from old Big Bazaar signal until Indiranagar BDA signal has increased (this is at around 8am today).
The issue is mainly caused by people forming two or more lanes to take u-turns where its available.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 10:23   #17757
BHPian

Old Madras road story aside, how many of you have now seen the entry to Manyatha tech park?

Apart from the bridge construction, soon after the U-turn to enter Manyatha the service road is reduced to half! It is Namma Metro! Soil testing for the upcoming Metro to the Airport that will be operational from 2034?

And those who think they can take the back gate to enter have to drive on two of the worst roads in the city, that is Thanisandra road and Rachenahalli road.

Anyone outside Bangalore who is planning to relocate to this city for 'growth' prospects, don't even dream of coming to this place for the next 20 years at least unless you have no other option. The city is going to be a dug up pit.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2019, 12:17   #17758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
Thanks for this option. Is it booking allowed only via App ? And this 350-400 where is your home btw.
I guess its only through app. I haven't used the website yet for any of the bookings. The fare is based on your home location. I stay is Whitefield which is pretty far (40-45 Km) from the airport. They have different fare slabs for booking the car based on distance and time. I have always booked for 50 KM and 1.5-hour duration which is enough for me to reach the airport from my place.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:24   #17759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
I guess its only through app. I haven't used the website yet for any of the bookings. The fare is based on your home location. I stay is Whitefield which is pretty far (40-45 Km) from the airport. They have different fare slabs for booking the car based on distance and time. I have always booked for 50 KM and 1.5-hour duration which is enough for me to reach the airport from my place.
Thanks for the info. I too stay within range of 40-45km. Seems we need to upload license as first step via App and then proceed to booking. Never a bad option to save few bucks and also drive some new gen cars that too on the highways leading to airport. Anything after Hebbal should be easy. Worth a try and get know the pros and cons.
Old 9th October 2019, 16:11   #17760
BHPian

There is a new U turn before EGL coming from indiranagar which is poorly planned and is creating a much more intense traffic jam then before. I wonder who plans and executes such changes without too much thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks