Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 08:36   #17686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is an orange Tata Nexon sitting straddling the divider on the Silk Board flyover. At 8am, there was a slight pile-up, mainly of people slowing down and gawking. Until this is cleared, it will be the cause of a jam on Hosur Road both sides of the flyover.

Sorry, did not stop to take pics because I did not want to contribute to the pile-up.
Old 18th September 2019, 09:11   #17687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My experience is a mixed bag. And this post is in relation to one two of such experiences I had talked about in previous posts.

Offences like No Parking are perhaps the most common and easiest ones for them to book.
Searched for fines, looks like most of them are booked. Here a example of two cases booked for same TT He is going to be in trouble with new MVA, he seem to have got Rs 1000 fine already for no-parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture1.jpg  

shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 12:03   #17688
BHPian

Despite the new MV act and high fines, I dont see any reduction in violations in Bangalore, even by the educated lot and there seems to be no inclination to even follow. Here are some examples that I see every morning

1. I live near Phoenix market city and those familiar with that area will be aware of the great Hoodi "Bermuda" triangle, where there are one ways between ABB-Hoodi, Hoodi-Graphite Road Junction (near Family Supermarket) and on Graphite road (from Family to ABB thru Gopalan School). All these 3 one-ways are abused by all categories of vehicles, be it the happy-to-jump-rules Zomato / Swiggy guys, autos/cabs/TTs and all sorts of yellow boards, to luxury sedans driven by the "educated" and parents wanting to drop their kids off at Gopalan school in the morning. On my way back home from the gym every morning, I see hundreds of 2 wheelers/cars owned by "educated" parents taking the wrong way, some all the way from ABB and some from Goshala Road to drop their kids at the Gopalan National School. What an example to set in the morning to kids by driving one way. And this morning, there were cops stopping and fining motorists at the Goshala junction and it was funny seeing all these parents parking in Goshala road and cursing / cribbing, while taking their kids to school.

2. I drive to work on Sarjapur road and same scene every morning once you take the service lane off ORR to get onto SJP Road. Hundreds of 2 wheelers and a dozen autos always on the wrong side towards Bellandur. And one you get onto SJP Road, the mess gets messier. Lot more 2 wheelers and autos on the wrong side as the left side of the road towards ORR is clogged and these maniacs are more than happy to be on the wrong side of the road. Add taxis, TTs to this gang once you cross Motherhood hospital driving on the wrong side of the road (and regulars here will know half of the road is already blocked due to road works which started god knows when and will end perhaps in next generation). And add a few dozen 2 wheelers trying to jump over the median to get to the wrong side every 10 feet as if it is their right and willing to glare at those driving on the right side and not giving them way to cut across

Where are the cops in the midst of all of this to enforce or fine?? Non existent. There used to be a guy outside the fire station but he has disappeared for last few weeks and even when he was there, he was useless. Would see cars, autos, 2 wheelers on the wrong side drive right past him and he would be on the phone ! and you will see 4-5 cops below the SJP/ORR signal chatting and their easiest victims is to catch white board cars who get caught under the signal when the light turns red due to gridlocks created by violators and extract moolah from them, while turning a blind eye to the 2 wheelers, autos, BMTC buses or TTs that caused the gridlock in the 1st place.

Enough of ranting for today !

Last edited by aroonanand : 18th September 2019 at 12:04. Reason: Added a point
aroonanand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:52   #17689
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night while returning from office, my office cab went over a pothole just at the turning towards Old Airport from ORR service road near Marathahalli bridge (GPS). After travelling about one kilometer another cab driver slowed down next to us to inform my driver to check something and we realized that rear left tyre was punctured. There was a sidewall cut and tyre was relatively new. Felt bad for the driver/owner as he will need to buy a new tyre due to poorly maintained road
Old 18th September 2019, 22:33   #17690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Despite the new MV act and high fines, I dont see any reduction in violations in Bangalore, even by the educated lot and there seems to be no inclination to even follow.
My observation shows that two wheeler riders have all started wearing some thing which can be called a "helmet" (most will not meet the quality standards). And that there is a high focus on getting all the documents ready (Pollution Under Control certificate is the latest trend).

My gut feeling is that police would allow some time for the new fines to "sync in" amongst the public. There may be a few weeks when they would also stop and advice the violators. I tell this from what I have observed in Kerala. Drunken driving was a problem, but the police actually used a steady approach to tackle it. Violators were first levied with spot fine (dangerous driving), and then they slowly changed their modus operandi. After creating the awareness they used the full provisions of 185 MV Act (including mandatory detention, bailing out and court appearance). But by then pretty much every one had realised & accepted the fact that drunken driving is a serious problem and the poor drunkards deserved this treatment.

Today I see a "panic mode" every where. People complain, abuse every one out there with GoI and the police being the favourite targets. But they also run around to get into the compliance mode.

Last edited by sachinpk : 18th September 2019 at 22:36.
Old 19th September 2019, 11:53   #17691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
My observation shows that two wheeler riders have all started wearing some thing which can be called a "helmet" (most will not meet the quality standards). And that there is a high focus on getting all the documents ready (Pollution Under Control certificate is the latest trend).

My gut feeling is that police would allow some time for the new fines to "sync in" amongst the public. There may be a few weeks when they would also stop and advice the violators. I tell this from what I have observed in Kerala.
Today I see a "panic mode" every where. People complain, abuse every one out there with GoI and the police being the favourite targets. But they also run around to get into the compliance mode.
What you said is valid in Kerala, where even historically enforcement has been better than Bangalore. I don't see any of what you are saying in Blr. The lacklustre attitude of the cops here is a key driver to the rampant abuse of rules and the traffic jams here. Get rid of all drivers driving on the wrong side, and ensure massive fines for folks that jump signals, and I am pretty confident a sizeable part of traffic woes here will vanish. How else can you explain BMTC buses driving on the wrong side of the road (I am talking of 4 lane roads with dividers, not the 2 lane roads without dividers) to be ahead of traffic, or get over a signal quickly? Never seen a KeSRTC bus or even the devilish private buses do that anywhere ever in Kerala.

Last edited by aroonanand : 19th September 2019 at 11:54. Reason: Added a line
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 12:18   #17692
BHPian

Bad traffic today on Hosur Road from NICE road exit to Kudlu gate junction. Took 1 hour for this stretch for some random reason. The various service roads and diversions due to metro add to the pile up.

The single most painful thing about these pile ups is the absolute lack of lane discipline. This is the worst kind of behaviour that i feel is one of the biggest problems on our roads. On a fairly wide road with 3 lanes people can easily navigate bad traffic. Maybe time taken will be same but it will be a much easier time for everyone if people just kept in three lanes peacefully. But we have people crowding from all sides with 3/4/5 or more vehicles in parallel depending on the size. The whole experience becomes a nightmare.

I was trying very hard to be centre of my lane and leave some space around but it just ends up in people coming in dangerously close to try to crowd out any small space available. As a result you are constantly negotiating around where you could just crawl along peacefully since no one is going anywhere anyway.

I have no hope of people ever learning this as not keeping in lane is not possibly even a traffic offense here and how will they enforce it anyway.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th September 2019 at 15:56. Reason: Removing additional spacing
Old 19th September 2019, 12:24   #17693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
I have no hope of people ever learning this as not keeping in lane is not possibly even a traffic offense here and how will they enforce it anyway.
Each traffic signal on Hosur road right from Bommanahalli till Huskur Gate resembles something like this even when light is green for one direction while red for rest of them all:

I am glad to say, signals on Bellary road from Kodigehalli Gate till Kogilu Cross are also becoming like this.

If someone knows the art of moving or stopping at these signals on Hosur road, I would like to take some training!

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th September 2019 at 12:25.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 12:40   #17694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
What you said is valid in Kerala, where even historically enforcement has been better than Bangalore. I don't see any of what you are saying in Blr. The lacklustre attitude of the cops here is a key driver to the rampant abuse of rules and the traffic jams here...
The BTP is under-staffed to handle the volume of traffic and the number of traffic rule violations. Even if they do want to penalise violators, their hands are tied by their duty to keep the traffic flowing. Then, there's the placebo effect that we see - some of us think that higher fines would result in better compliance and we notice more people abiding the law.

Though not the best idea, sending collection agents to make violators pay their pending fines might work as a deterrent. It's probably unethical, illegal, cumbersome and expensive to do it. That being said, many people, including those driving cabs, ricks and buses wouldn't mind the repeat offenders who break rules with gay abandon and get away, facing the music.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 15:31   #17695
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone advise how to reach Silk Board from Bannerghatta Road (Vega City junction)? The earlier route was through the BTM Lake Road which opens at AXA signal just before Silk Board. Is this road still open and what is the condition of this road?

If it is closed, what is the other route by which to reach Silk Board (given that Jayadeva flyover to Silk Board is closed now)?

Need to travel there urgently and hence need some quick directions, please.
Old 20th September 2019, 15:48   #17696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Can anyone advise how to reach Silk Board from Bannerghatta Road (Vega City junction)? The earlier route was through the BTM Lake Road which opens at AXA signal just before Silk Board. Is this road still open and what is the condition of this road?

If it is closed, what is the other route by which to reach Silk Board (given that Jayadeva flyover to Silk Board is closed now)?

BTM lake road is open and you can take the same route. It narrows near the turn that leads to BTM lake road, but manageable.
Old 20th September 2019, 15:58   #17697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
BTM lake road is open and you can take the same route. It narrows near the turn that leads to BTM lake road, but manageable.
Thanks. You mean the entire stretch starting from the Bannerghatta road entrance right up to AXA signal (and thereafter right turn towards Silk Board) is open for normal traffic? Which part are you referring to when you say the road has narrowed?
Old 20th September 2019, 16:37   #17698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. You mean the entire stretch starting from the Bannerghatta road entrance right up to AXA signal (and thereafter right turn towards Silk Board) is open for normal traffic? Which part are you referring to when you say the road has narrowed?
The Lake Road is open - not sure when it was closed. But there is no cut in the divider to cross over. You will have to take a U Turn near AXA and then head toward Silkboard Signal.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 16:51   #17699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
My wife told me that the lake road was dug up on Wednesday

Quote:

2 options that I see:
1. Straight at Vega City Mall jn. > right at Dairy Circle>Forum>Silk Board.
2. Left at Vega city Mall jn. >right at Delmia jn. >Another Right at Marenahalli road >BTM>Silk board
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 21:11   #17700
BHPian

Quote:

If you go further up Bannerghatta road, just at where the Jayadeva underpass starts, they have a u-turn open which you can take and then immediately get into BTM Layout. You can then reach Udupi Garden signal and take a right there towards Silk Board junction. Be cautious while taking this u-turn; they have opened up the median to create this u-turn and the road is not level there.

Otherwise, if you go a little further at the end of the underpass too there is a u-turn which you can take.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks