Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 12:38   #17926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

If you take the road from Hebbal to Tin Factory, don't you feel the ride is smooth? Of course tarred roads are definitely better but our tarred roads never lasted, of late. So longevity won! Once completed, I hope we have roads that last 5 years at least. By the way, KIAL expressway is tarred, not concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I don't agree to this. White topping makes the ride much more rough and noisy compared to a conventional road.
You can feel the difference when you travel on elevated expressway to KIA airport.

Last edited by Sebring : 4th November 2019 at 12:53.
Old 4th November 2019, 13:32   #17927
BHPian

Sorry folks. Yes I meant to say that KIA airport road is 'TARRED' and hence the level of smoothness is more and difference can be felt easily. I request that we should stop digressing from the main topic before MODs say so.
Thanks for presenting your views and responses.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 4th November 2019 at 13:34.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:19   #17928
Senior - BHPian

What's up with this bus lane on ORR. Is the rule going to get strictly enforced?

It's quite funny to see how things happen around the lane; the cars, autos, bikes are mostly on the bus lane and some buses get on to the other lanes. Not sure whether most people know the purpose of it or simply ignore. It is going to be a herculean task to effectively implement this concept. I tend to not cross the yellow lane, but sometimes cannot resist
Old 5th November 2019, 09:38   #17929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What's up with this bus lane on ORR. Is the rule going to get strictly enforced?

It is going to be a herculean task to effectively implement this concept. I tend to not cross the yellow lane, but sometimes cannot resist
Don't know if it has even started. Whenever it starts, enjoy the comedy while it lasts !.

We are gap fillers and not riders/drivers. Only a wall, drain, pit etc can stop us from filling the next available gap.

Yellow line? What is that?
Old 6th November 2019, 10:30   #17930
Senior - BHPian

BMTC bus has broken down in front of DASH Square, BTM layout. All vehicle traffic towards BTM Water Tank from BTM AXA are blocked for the past one hour. The driver was telling the rear wheel has jammed and the bus cannot be towed. Since metro construction was going on in that stretch, one & half lane was available for vehicles. The bus has blocked that lane. Metro folks were reluctantly removing the barricade to free up one lane to let traffic around the bus.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:14   #17931
BHPian

An observation -

Earlier, in Bangalore, I could gauge ahead the lanes where waterlogging would be expected to be higher and could align my driving accordingly.

These days, the banking and curvature of the roads has become lot more erratic and hotchpotch owing to years of patchwork on roads making it harder to gauge ahead such waterlogging.

Effectively, this too contributes to messy traffic during/after rains where many a times a multi-lane road will be forced to converge to one! Number of vehicle breakdowns also increases with the menace of such strange waterlogging patterns and depths.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:48   #17932
BHPian

Light at the end of a loooooong tunnel.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71914958.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-images.jpg  

srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 13:41   #17933
BHPian

Heads up to users of ORR near ASR Kalyan Mantapa, on service road just before Ram Murthy Nagar underpass, heading toward KRPuram. Footpath grill damaged and protruding into road. I lost 1 No. Goodyear tyre on left front of Ecosport (4000 km run) due to sidewall slashed. Because it is attached to a concrete block, the grill may be in place for some more time. Users beware.
proton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 14:21   #17934
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
... Only a wall, drain, pit etc can stop us from filling the next available gap...
Oh no, no, no!

The Bangalore way is to barge into those, then question their presence, or barge sideways into the next lane and question the existence of the poor sod who just got side-swiped!
Old 6th November 2019, 15:03   #17935
Distinguished - BHPian

I took the details of the 4 corridors, distances and number of stations as mentioned in the news report and listed down the existing stations.
There are 27 existing stations (ignoring the duplicates and cross over stations).

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-annotation-20191106-145553.png

If this suburban network will contain 53 stations when ready, there must be additionally 26 stations that must be made/developed. Airport Trumpet is one among them. Not sure which will be the other 25!

By the way I don't see this as a good news yet as it is planned to be operational in 2026 which is 7 years from now! but being India, I think it'll only be ready in a decade from now!
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 15:28   #17936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Heads up to users of ORR near ASR Kalyan Mantapa, on service road just before Ram Murthy Nagar underpass, heading toward KRPuram. Footpath grill damaged and protruding into road. I lost 1 No. Goodyear tyre on left front of Ecosport (4000 km run) due to sidewall slashed. Because it is attached to a concrete block, the grill may be in place for some more time. Users beware.
Many thanks for this update! Feel bad to hear about your loss.

This is also my regular route. But don't worry, among all people in Bangalore invariably you will find a good Samaritan who will make some jugaad and either ease things or somewhat create a new challenge! .
Old 6th November 2019, 17:36   #17937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
How much does BBMP compensate for tyre damage? And for other damages like Underbody, windshield, etc? I remember reading an article about this in the newspaper but cannot recollect the details.
Old 6th November 2019, 17:48   #17938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

If this suburban network will contain 53 stations when ready, there must be additionally 26 stations that must be made/developed. Airport Trumpet is one among them. Not sure which will be the other 25!

By the way I don't see this as a good news yet as it is planned to be operational in 2026 which is 7 years from now! but being India, I think it'll only be ready in a decade from now!
This will throw some light. This was the initial proposal with 81 stations, then was revised down to 53. But the new stations should be from the ones seen in the initial plan.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-suburbanrailnetworkbefor.jpg

Great news. But a long way away. There are several low hanging fruits that they can enable in near term. Completion of doubling and electrification of BYP-Hosur, Quadrupling BYP-Whitefield line and then introducing more services on these routes are things that can be done in quick time
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 18:11   #17939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't know about how and when this will get completed but fully expect real estate companies to use this to market new projects to unsuspecting public
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:20   #17940
BHPian

ORR alert near Ramamurthynagar Underpass, towards Hebbal
Almost close to the Underpass, Concrete dividers have been placed on the road, causing traffic to pile up till KR Puram. These dividers are death knells for folks who are distracted by phone/music etc - please be aware and drive safe, IMO, they have been put in place for White Topping

Most Viewed