Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 16:46   #17911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

IMHO travel by a 2 wheeler is as uncomfortable as travel by a BMTC. Especially on stretches like ORR. It is incredibly useful in internal areas like yeshwanthpur, majestic, etc though. I feel that majority of people who take their 2-wheelers on the ORR do so only because it is cheaper than BMTC. We Indians are very pennywise, we want to save even if it is only 50np.
BMTC cannot be made cheaper, of course as the profits have to be made and incentives paid. However the ORR can be tolled. We pay a huge amount as LTT, but since it is onetime, no one feels it. Also makes no difference to second/ third owners. But if Rs.2/- has to be paid every time your 2 wheeler crosses Manyata, No one will ride past it. This has to be implemented before congestion tax for maximum earnings.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 09:21   #17912
Senior - BHPian

Those commuting from Nayandahalli to Gorguntepalaya on ORR , brace yourself!!! The Sumanahalli flyover remains closed after a small portion of the road on top crumbled. All traffic diverted through service road and across Magadi road signal, an already busy signal. The service road had traffic pile up for more than a KM today morning.
News article here: http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...g-2056009.html
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:25   #17913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Those commuting from Nayandahalli to Gorguntepalaya on ORR , brace yourself!!! The Sumanahalli flyover remains closed after a small portion of the road on top crumbled. All traffic diverted through service road and across Magadi road signal, an already busy signal. The service road had traffic pile up for more than a KM today morning.
The report says it was not well maintained. But that flyover is not even 5 years old IIRC and such a hole goes to show how well it is built.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:47   #17914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
... But if Rs.2/- has to be paid every time your 2 wheeler crosses Manyata, No one will ride past it. This has to be implemented before congestion tax for maximum earnings.

Please think about the consequences before you recommend such collection.

Once government officials realize they can get away with it, they will extend it to every inch of every road and public facility. You can already see the sanguine effects of increased taxes on fuel. Need I elaborate further?

Coming to two wheeler usage, BMTC services are unreliable, especially in the afternoons and evenings. This is the reason I prefer using my two wheeler over BMTC. I am not implying that BMTC services are good at other times, but my observation is that you will struggle harder to find a bus to anywhere later in the day.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:56   #17915
BHPian

Quote:
Started today morning at 8:00 from BSK 3rd Stage for a drive on Hassan Highway, and breakfast at Swathi Delicacy.

It's 11:52 now, and we are having lunch at New Agarwal Bhavan on Tumkur Road!

We had our breakfast on the signal free corridor between Nayandahalli and Nagarbhavi - bourbon and some peanut butter biscuits - while enduring the traffic jam.

We were in the aforementioned jam for 2 hrs.
Safety is Param is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 13:29   #17916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The report says it was not well maintained. But that flyover is not even 5 years old IIRC and such a hole goes to show how well it is built.
It is unfortunate that our state did not have a stable government after 2004, all previous governments have supported corruption without discrimination. The water drainage is very poor on most of the flyovers, add to that the crawling heavy trucks carrying concrete, sand is putting lot of weight on the structure. If this is closed for any long term repair, situation will be unimaginable.

Safety is Param, as you said it is only signal free corridor not a traffic free road. Bangalore is still holding on due to adventurists and noble souls like you, instead of taking NICE Road, you chose the ORR

Last edited by deehunk : 2nd November 2019 at 13:36.
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:17   #17917
Team-BHP Support

Was debating venturing that way for a breakfast drive today, better half chose Mysore Road. Dodged a bullet, whew!

Lane closure at Nagarbhavi due to white-topping was already a nightmare, now I'm not venturing that way for the foreseeable future. If I have to get out of town, I usually take NICE Road as far out as it'll put me, even if it means extra distance.

Driving through Bangalore is horrendously unpredictable even if you check maps before leaving home, jams pop up like zits.

My sympathies for people who live or commute that way and don't have alternatives.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd November 2019 at 14:18.
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:53   #17918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My sympathies for people who live or commute that way and don't have alternatives.
I am one of them

Almost no other alternative. The only other viable alternative- The old outer ring road is seeing heavy jams from Ambedkar College up to Kottigepalya as many are getting on to this route from Nagarbhavi side to avoid the closed section.
Old 3rd November 2019, 20:04   #17919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am one of them

Almost no other alternative. The only other viable alternative- The old outer ring road is seeing heavy jams from Ambedkar College up to Kottigepalya as many are getting on to this route from Nagarbhavi side to avoid the closed section.
I really don't know how the hordes of commuters and long distance truckers using your route will cope!

I foresee mayhem from tomorrow on the ORR itself, inner roads and NICE too
Old 4th November 2019, 09:02   #17920
BHPian

Hello folks, white topping resumed on ORR near Ramamurthy nagar (the part of the road entering and leaving underpass). Hence the mayhem begins. It took me 1hour to cover 6.5km home to Baiyappanahalli metro station which otherwise takes only 15 minutes.
Worst part is they have closed entry to service lanes at various points making it difficult to even go back to home or switch to a different route.
White topping is one of the dumbest and the most poorly executed projects of all time IMHO. The kind of chaos created is mind numbing.
At times I feel (my opinion as I am frustrated) that having BMTC and metro is useless because BMTC service is inefficient, overcrowded extremely slow and occupy lot of space on road (as they don't follow any lane discipline). Ironically I see this public mode of transportation causing more jams instead. Also the metro work is progressing at snail slow pace and the digging of of roads in the process further worsens the situation.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 09:39   #17921
Senior - BHPian

The process of white topping is cumbersome, but the result is good. Makes for smooth driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Hello folks, white topping resumed on ORR near Ramamurthy nagar (the part of the road entering and leaving underpass). Hence the mayhem begins. It took me 1hour to cover 6.5km home to Baiyappanahalli metro station which otherwise takes only 15 minutes.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:27   #17922
Distinguished - BHPian

After the Kanakapura road (from Banashankari to Sajjan rao circle), now the parallel KR road has been taken up for White topping! The most irritating part is that the roads being chosen for white topping are all good roads. The bad roads remain bad or are getting worse by the day. Additionally this white topping will not be finished properly leaving it dangerous

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 4th November 2019 at 10:32.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 11:06   #17923
Senior - BHPian

KR Road was quite good. Not sure why they're doing this. Maybe the bad roads come at a higher cost. Our fly-overs and few parts of the metro (already) need immediate attention as well. That's far more dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
After the Kanakapura road (from Banashankari to Sajjan rao circle), now the parallel KR road has been taken up for White topping! The most irritating part is that the roads being chosen for white topping are all good roads. The bad roads remain bad or are getting worse by the day. Additionally this white topping will not be finished properly leaving it dangerous
Old 4th November 2019, 11:28   #17924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The process of white topping is cumbersome, but the result is good. Makes for smooth driving.
I don't agree to this. White topping makes the ride much more rough and noisy compared to a conventional road.
You can feel the difference when you travel on elevated expressway to KIA airport.
Old 4th November 2019, 12:19   #17925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
You can feel the difference when you travel on elevated expressway to KIA airport.
You sure the KIAL expressway is concrete and not regular asphalt? I thought it was always the latter.

Having said that, the fact is that concrete roads are noisy and give you a bumpy ride (if not done properly) but for sure they live a longer life. Of course, when these roads develop cracks, it hurts your suspension more than regular roads because of rougher edges.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks