Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2019, 12:17   #18046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Times of India has a news today that 399 people were fined for using the bus lane and 1.16L in fines collected. While this is good, I don't think the enforcement is strong enough. Only way for this to have any shot at success is high levels of policing and penalties for at least a few months. Post that even if the enforcement levels drop, I think it can sustain.

Like the helmet rule for both rider and pillion. Majority of people in Bangalore wear helmets and atleast a good part do it because they know at anytime some traffic cop can pop up somewhere and fine.
Old 30th November 2019, 12:35   #18047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Most buses go under the doddanekundi and mahadevpura flyovers too ( towards kr puram). Only the volvos sometime skip it.

The buses are on the left lane post the stop opposite rainbow hospital and then they crossover to the right lane as they go under the doddanekundi flyover. Then they crossover to the left to stop opposite EMC post which they crossover to the right lane to go under the mahadevpura flyover and then again to the left to stop at narayanapura bus stop.

All of this within a 2.5km stretch.

Can't think of any other bus system that is so horribly designed.
LOL! I can imagine the chaos this causes! Time for the concerned authorities to give this a serious thought and design something rational.

I pity the motorists who use cars and two-wheelers who ply on that stretch!
Old 30th November 2019, 17:00   #18048
BHPian

Thankfully, I don't have to use the ORR on weekdays as I work from home. However, the last couple of weekends, I have used this stretch 4-5 times on all modes of private transport (cycle, scooter, motorcycle and car).

- Cycling is a nightmare and I've given up cycling on ORR. It would be foolish to cycle outside the bus lane and so I stuck to the extreme left. The challenge is that the bus comes behind at fairly high speed, so you always need to watch out. It was so stressful that I switched to the service lane at ecospace
- I took my son in the scooter from hsr to the Kia showroom (Saturday at 11:30 am). When he is with me, I drive quite slowly at around 40-50 kmph max. I really felt unsafe. Vehicles were overtaking me from left and right. Ideally, I would've been on the extreme left minding my own business. If I was alone, I would've gone along at a faster clip and maybe it wouldn't be as scary
- On the motorcycle, it was quite fine. On weekends, I usually stop at the Suncity signal on the green just so that I am first when it turns green again and have a clear road ahead till Bellandur and can enjoy the acceleration. I usually go the extreme left and stop, but I wanted to respect the lane even though it is not marked there. Instead I stopped on the extreme right lane which was already blocked by the crowd that was waiting to go from Sarjapur Road into Suncity! They were looking at me with amusement.
- The bus lane is meant for cars IMHO. They are the most affected if they follow the rules, but when you're inside, you feel a lot secure and in control. I had no problems there at all.
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:03   #18049
Senior - BHPian

Comrades!! Please avoid Madiwala check post, Dairy Circle etc. Massive traffic jam. White topping is given as the reason.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:31   #18050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Comrades!! Please avoid Madiwala check post, Dairy Circle etc. Massive traffic jam. White topping is given as the reason.
Hosur Road also at a standstill!
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20191203103052.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2019, 10:40   #18051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...ng-780136.html
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:20   #18052

I agree with all of OP’s statements. For over a year I suffered on the roads, relying on public transport, it would take me over an hour to cover 7 kms. Earlier this year Ampere launched their latest e-scooter, Zeal their first bike that came with a lithium ion battery. I bought the scooter in early June and although I do get stuck in traffic most days, my journey home now takes me only half an hour or 45 minutes on the worst days. The e-scooter is almost 30 kgs lighter than the average petrol/diesel scooters, which makes it really easy to weave through congested or narrow roads. I’m able to take the bike to up to 55 kmph which is rather commendable for a lightweight vehicle scooter.
There is no escaping Bangalore traffic but we all find ways to survive it.
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:13   #18053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blissfully unaware of this, I left for work today at 9am - my usual route to office is via Dairy Circle. I took one look at the jam, called the office and told them I was going to work from home, made a quick U-turn and came back home.

I was on Bannerghatta Road.

It took me all of 30 minutes to just get to the junction from where I could make a U-turn.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:35   #18054
Senior - BHPian

Now that the FASTag discussions are around, I am wondering if NICE road also will get some kind of FASTag or digital payment mode? Or by the way, does this National Highway FASTag that we are buying can be used for NICE road also? No right?
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:53   #18055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Now that the FASTag discussions are around, I am wondering if NICE road also will get some kind of FASTag or digital payment mode? Or by the way, does this National Highway FASTag that we are buying can be used for NICE road also? No right?
There was an article in ToI a couple of days ago that said NICE road will accept FasTag along with their own RFID and credit/debit cards, apart from the usual cash. The article said it would be functional from Dec 1 but on my daily drive down the road, there was no sign of any FASTag scanner. I chatted with the toll booth operator, he told me that FASTag would be accepted from December 15 as per the new timeline.
shreyascashyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:45   #18056
Senior - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20191203wa0029.jpg

Today, it was utter chaos around this area. Traffic overflowed into BTM layout which is already reeling in the Metro construction crutches.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:24   #18057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Today, it was utter chaos around this area. Traffic overflowed into BTM layout which is already reeling in the Metro construction crutches.
Wow - so this is the reason for he chaos. It took me 2 hours + to reach home from Electronics City to Jayanagar via the Madiwala route. I guess I will stick to NICE Road from tomorrow.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 21:51   #18058
Distinguished - BHPian

Since I have easy access to a railway station off Sarjapur Road, I try to use the skeletal train network whenever there is a possibility to do so. Couple of days back, had a day long engagement at a place which I found was very close to Banaswadi Railway station. Since the morning timing for me to be there matched with a train timing, it was a no brainer to take it. Had casually checked Uber and it was showing Rs 450+ and a 1.5 hour journey. The train was Rs 10 and took me 15 min of journey time.

On the return, there was no train from Banaswadi, but realized that Bangalore East station was less than a kilometer away and I had a train-but it was after one hour. Uber was again showing close to 500 and a 1 hr 30 min journey at 5.45pm. Decided to try the train again. Another Rs 10 and the journey took 20 min. Of course I had to wait for 45 min, but I still reached around the time the cab would have reached.

And while I was at East, several local trains towards Whitefield and towards KSR passed by and all of them had good crowds. The Hosur-Dharmapuri DEMU I took, being the only train at that time towards Hosur, was standing room only.

It is such a low hanging fruit to add a couple of halt stations and increase capacity by doubling and electrification. Even with all the suburban rail focus, the focus seems to be on long term lofty goals.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:22   #18059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It is such a low hanging fruit to add a couple of halt stations and increase capacity by doubling and electrification. Even with all the suburban rail focus, the focus seems to be on long term lofty goals.

Very nice to see you using the rail network. Would be glad to see more and more on this.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 05:13   #18060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hosur Road also at a standstill!
Really feel for daily commuters in this entire area. 2 months!

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...ts-782366.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks