Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 12:04   #18121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
...an accident caused by a truck that rammed into the adjoining shops.
How the heck did he crash into the building?! Looks like the road caved in, looking under the front wheel.

But either way, this is a problem I see in Bangalore, heavy vehicles being driven by untrained drivers. On the highways I've seen that the heavy vehicles are usually driven well, or at least sedately. Must be the more experienced drivers for inter-city journeys. But in Bangalore I've seen tippers, tractors, cement mixers, building site trucks, and worst of all the water tankers being driven rashly and badly by all sorts of people.

Last edited by am1m : 17th December 2019 at 12:06.
Old 17th December 2019, 12:15   #18122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How the heck did he crash into the building?! Looks like the road caved in, looking under the front wheel.

But either way, this is a problem I see in Bangalore, heavy vehicles being driven by untrained drivers. On the highways I've seen that the heavy vehicles are usually driven well, or at least sedately. Must be the more experienced drivers for inter-city journeys. But in Bangalore I've seen tippers, tractors, cement mixers, building site trucks, and worst of all the water tankers being driven rashly and badly by all sorts of people.
The driver seems to have lost control of the vehicle. How it happened, I am not sure because it is a very narrow lane just after the Mrathalli bridge junction and gaining speed isn't easy. I suspect brake failure or a sudden maneuver to save somebody.

The road caved in after the truck rammed the electricity pole, climbed over the footpath and into the shops.
grevvity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 13:35   #18123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevvity View Post
The driver seems to have lost control of the vehicle. How it happened, I am not sure because it is a very narrow lane just after the Mrathalli bridge junction and gaining speed isn't easy. I suspect brake failure or a sudden maneuver to save somebody.

The road caved in after the truck rammed the electricity pole, climbed over the footpath and into the shops.
The truck came from the ring road crashing the barricade, entered the service lane and finally resting in the current position.
Old 17th December 2019, 13:38   #18124
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It is THIS grotesque display of cat catching the mouse that I have a problem with, that and banging on the glass to lower it.
I've tried this a few times and it seems to work much better - soon as I see vehicles slowing down and cops around for the drink drive check, I turn off the music system if it's playing and lower the glass on driver's side. This seems to give them the impression that the person driving isn't drunk and confident of any check (and they don't need to bang/tap on the glass!), so they just walk close to the driver's side, try to begin a conversation and wave you off or just ask you to blow into the alcometer and then wave you off (after recent news reports of fake/manipulated alcometers, I'm wary of them though).
There are also some law and order/crime police constables on the prowl in Bangalore and these guys usually target two wheelers to fleece them. These fellows will simply jump in front of the vehicle and try to grab the keys, so that the two wheeler rider cannot escape.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 22:49   #18125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've tried this a few times and it seems to work much better - soon as I see vehicles slowing down and cops around for the drink drive check, I turn off the music system if it's playing and lower the glass on driver's side. This seems to give them the impression that the person driving isn't drunk and confident of any check (and they don't need to bang/tap on the glass!), (after recent news reports of fake/manipulated alcometers, I'm wary of them though).
I appreciate the practical tips, and you are right about that.. BUT, I never will go out of my way to prove my innocence, they are called public-servants for a reason, there has to be a mutual respect about any societal interaction. I don't know if I'm paranoid after watching a lot of First Amendment audits by American Youtubers, but I do believe that if we bend to the police too much, we will be on course to becoming a police state. We already know how brutally they themselves break traffic rules all over the place.

Again, I know that if the alcometer shows a fake reading, I'll absolutely insist on an immediate blood test and there is no chance I'm failing that since I do not drink, if everyone heard that I was drunk driving they'll either laugh as if its a joke or faint. The cops will dig themselves a deeper hole if that is the angle they want to take.

I understand that more than a few motorists escape these cops by any means necessary and that is anarchy at its most extreme.. but the cops should merely note down numbers in that case and track them down. If I'm to be stopped, I demand that I'm treated as a human & not a neanderthal.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 08:45   #18126
Senior - BHPian

Will a rigged alcometer show the presence of alcohol where there is none? This is shocking indeed and will be challenged by any driver. Can the cops rig? Being a machine these cant be used indefinitely, so even the defunct/malfunctioning ones are pressed into service - is my guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Again, I know that if the alcometer shows a fake reading, I'll absolutely insist on an immediate blood test and there is no chance I'm failing that since I do not drink, if everyone heard that I was drunk driving they'll either laugh as if its a joke or faint. The cops will dig themselves a deeper hole if that is the angle they want to take.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 09:26   #18127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Will a rigged alcometer show the presence of alcohol where there is none? This is shocking indeed and will be challenged by any driver. Can the cops rig?
Shocking, isnt it? Great question and you asked this at the right time just as this thread came up in Team BHP :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...suspended.html (Bangalore: Policemen caught with fake devices to check alcohol level, suspended)

I feel vindicated for taking my stance, I knew these cops had a motive the way they were ambushing people.. you NEVER sneak around if you're a cop, these bait and hook tactics will be the doom of us, and one step closer to a police state.

Also a reminder for everyone that if you're truly innocent, stand your ground, talk to them like the public servants they are, they are on even ground with us, not higher. If they want to take you to their station, gladly oblige and sit there and watch then squirm. Record on phone if necessary (though they may get physical if they see proof being recorded so avoid it).

For people who haven't clicked the link, 4 policemen in Bangalore have been suspended for using tampered alcometers and making tens of thousands of rupees in the process. Even I didn't feel safe that night when I was cornered by THREE cops at once and my stubborn stance perhaps made them back off as they were sure that I was confident that they can't nail me in any way. I felt very uncomfortable and I'm pretty sure these cops are far more in number. December is a windfall when it comes to drunk-drive collections and guess what, they were taking cash as well.. so much for doing their "duties" and cleansing the road of drunk drivers.

I repeat, drunk driving must be a crime that warrants a rigorous imprisonment for upwards of a year, nothing short. You think people who pay 6-8k++ for a night of drinks care about a similar fine?

Constitution of Rights, first one says Right to Equality, 3rd one says Right against Exploitation. Hope people use it just as I did and not bow down to these collection agents in fear.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 12:32   #18128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Will a rigged alcometer show the presence of alcohol where there is none? This is shocking indeed and will be challenged by any driver. Can the cops rig? Being a machine these cant be used indefinitely, so even the defunct/malfunctioning ones are pressed into service - is my guess
These are simple machines which can be fooled easily. In my company the security tests the office cab drivers using an alcometer before the evening drop. One day, they cleaned the machine using isopropyl alcohol and every driver failed the test.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th December 2019 at 14:27. Reason: Removed unsupported emoticon. Please use the ones provided in the forum text editor to maintain user experience on all platforms.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 12:46   #18129
BHPian

To the above post(s) :

Whats preventing a sober person from blowing into the alcometer while allowing another to drive?.

Reminded me of the "proxy" attendance that we used to give in college
Old 18th December 2019, 16:59   #18130
BHPian

Will be travelling from Hebbal to Sarjapur road (near Carmeleram) to work from June 2020 due to my kids school in Hebbal. What are my options to reach. My office timings are from 12 to 9.30 pm. Return i'm getting office cab. Only issue is to reach office by 12.30 pm daily.
Many Thanks,
Ramki
Old 18th December 2019, 17:30   #18131
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Will be travelling from Hebbal to Sarjapur road (near Carmeleram) to work from June 2020 due to my kids school in Hebbal. What are my options to reach.
Driving one way doesn't make sense though the most straightforward route is to take the outer ring road all the way from Hebbal to Sarjapur road, but given the traffic density, it will be nightmarish.

I think you can try the BMTC Volvos from Hebbal, maybe the 500 series (not too sure though).

If (and it's a big one) there is rail connectivity between Hebbal and Carmelaram, that would be great for your commute, not sure about this too. As for metro, you'd have to wait another couple years or so on this route.

*Someone had a recent query similar to yours for a commute between Sarjapur road and Manyata tech park, do look up responses to that one as well, here's one from Rajeev.
Link (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)

Last edited by NPV : 18th December 2019 at 17:34.
Old 18th December 2019, 18:30   #18132
BHPian

Volvo 500 series (i think D is the most feasible) will take you till the new Microsoft office on ORR (where Sarjapur road veers off. After that I have not see any volvo going towards Sarjapur - so you will have to manage that somehow. Unless of course there is service by BMTC operated ORRCA volvos going towards Sarjapur - m two cents.
Old 18th December 2019, 18:49   #18133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Will be travelling from Hebbal to Sarjapur road (near Carmeleram) to work from June 2020 due to my kids school in Hebbal. What are my options to reach. My office timings are from 12 to 9.30 pm. Return i'm getting office cab. Only issue is to reach office by 12.30 pm daily.
Many Thanks,
Ramki
I guess near Carmelaram means either RGA Tech Park or one of the 2 offices of Wipro.

Train would have been perfect for you. Hebbal to Carmelaram takes about 25-30 min by trains on the Yeswantpur-Hosur line. RGA is a 5 min walk and the Wipro's are also close.

Unfortunately for the timing you mentioned, there are no trains. Since the frequency is very poor there is only one train in the morning from Hebbal to Carmelaram (at 6.45am) and couple of other trains from Cantonment/Byappanahalli. Return also the trains are all in the 5.30-7.30 time frame.

So other than driving the only choice is to take a Volvo (500D) from Hebbal and switch to another bus at Iblur on ORR towards Sarjapur Road. Frequency is pretty good, so this should be a doable option. Since it is slightly off peak, I think a 11am start would get you to Iblur by 12pm and another 15-20min on Sarjapur Road. (Volvo Frequency is limited on Sarjapur Road. But plenty of regular buses and at that time will not be crowded)

If this is going to be a long term thing, maybe worth thinking of shifting. Last I counted, there were 25-30 schools on Sarjapur Road and surroundings. Maybe worth looking at if the commute turns out to be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If (and it's a big one) there is rail connectivity between Hebbal and Carmelaram,
Yes, there is direct rail connectivity and it is a super quick commute. Unfortunately just a couple of services.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th December 2019 at 18:50.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 05:59   #18134
Team-BHP Support

Airport toll is a mess this morning, with Fastag apparently not working. Airport lanes were backed up quite a bit. Anyone going that way is better off using the Hyderabad lanes and make a U-turn ahead to join the trumpet interchange towards the airport from the Devanahalli side.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 06:14   #18135
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent experience at KIAL toll both ways yesterday night & very early morning today. FASTag lanes were clearly demarcated on the left side so need to slow down well before. Scanning technology and/or connectivity with FASTag servers have been significantly improved, I must say. Alerts on SMS & email received after a couple of hours from ICICIB.

Surprised to see plenty of private & yellow board vehicles in the relatively crowded cash lanes. Seriously, we don't deserve any carrots; only the stick works. I truly hope they all pay double the charges very soon.

Also, happy to see some real progress on the mythical KIAL Halt! While it may not immediately help passengers, it will definitely help KIAL & airline staff.

Bengaluru: Ride to KIA in 30 min, train station by Feb

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/b...eb-787066.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th December 2019 at 06:18.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks