Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2019, 20:14   #18166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
What seems to be the logic behind shutting flyovers?
Some reasons that I can think of:
  • Prevent Schumachers and Rossis who may take-off.
  • Stop many of those Devdases trying to do somethig fatal in memory of their Paros
  • Control Romeo and Juliets who may bend too much while taking selfies
  • Easy to book more DUI cases if more people are forced to go on ground level
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 20:54   #18167
Team-BHP Support

Add to that
  • Flinging bottles from the top
  • Racers hitting the sides and falling off the flyover
  • Easier to stage a robbery on top
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 11:29   #18168
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Having been in and around the C V Raman Nagar area for ~30 years now, I've observed that the roads have been at their worst condition (rough patches, potholes, generally uneven) for the last 5 years or so especially the stretch between the entrances to the area on Suranjan Das Road and Bagmane Tech Park. Earlier, these roads were maintained by DRDO's Estate Management Unit but I'm not sure now if this part till Bagmane Tech Park is maintained by BBMP ?

During the last 5 years, there have been many attempts at doing some patchwork and the shoddy quality of work ensured that it went bad very soon after each fix!

During the last 3-4 days, a proper, full makeover is in progress and a complete new layer of asphalt is being laid out after filling up the ruts, potholes, etc. Hope this lasts a couple of years at least

*I just hope there is some attention given to the lake at the entrance of Bagmane Tech Park since a portion of it is inundated with sewage and even a complaint to the BBMP's Lake Development Authority didn't help as they responded back saying it is maintained by the DRDO's Estate Management Unit (their contact numbers don't work and the email Id listed on their website also did not respond).

Last edited by NPV : 1st January 2020 at 11:35.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 12:14   #18169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
During the last 3-4 days, a proper, full makeover is in progress and a complete new layer of asphalt is being laid out after filling up the ruts, potholes, etc.
Same case further down in the same area, Malleshpalaya. The main road that had potholes has been done up in the past couple of weeks, the side roads got a new layer of tar too.

It'll last till the next round of digging by the BWSSB/Reliance/Airtel idiots to do whatever it is they never seem to finish doing!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 12:44   #18170
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh man, I needed that in the morning. But to be factual, these BBMP people have been doing all these shenanigans for the past 10 years atleast.. they stand for Broken Bengaluru Mahakallara Palike.

The city is so old and yet here they are laying water pipes, drain pipes, cables, blocking sewers and remaking them, clogging lakes and cleaning them once in a bluemoon, white topping, tarring, patchwork, unnecessary flyovers etc.

If all these unnecessary works were replaced by thorough and regimental tarring of 200-250 kms of roads annually, Bangalore traffic would be much smoother than today at a fraction of the cost. Today travel is the single making or breaking point of a city, even Ambulances are held hostage all over.

Its a wonderful city with very misguided citizens and ex cons for developmental agencies. On a side note, we were held hostage for nearly 20 minutes to make way for a BBMP top brass cavalcade comprising of Endeavours, Scorpios, Innovas etc on MG Road Signal.. apparently we are the pushovers, victims, taxpayers, voters and "obedient" citizens all rolled into one.

I guess bad roads are way more obvious inside the Cooper isnt it?

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2020 at 10:52. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 13:15   #18171
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

While the BBMP's shoddy work + shady deals and don't care attitude are established, this one worries me more since the DRDO Estate Management Unit (headed by ex-servicemen) in the past was very proactive in maintaining the roads and lakes around the place and now they're turning a blind eye to the mess.

*If someone has a contact at DRDO, please help in getting in touch with them so that we can take this forward and have something done to stop the flow of sewage into the lake and restore it.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2020 at 10:52. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 13:21   #18172
Distinguished - BHPian

Blackspot alert entering KIAL:

Entering KIAL, i.e. after the trumpet flyover and ~200 metres before the first roundabout, a new speedbreaker (black & yellow rubberized type) has been installed as there are ongoing roadworks. Please be careful as the cabbies are sailing over it but most owner-drivers will brake hard for it.

The road is anyway pretty narrow and people think that they have already reached KIAL (sphincter relaxing mode!)! Be very careful as it can turn a self-drive personal/business trip or an airport drop into an expensive nightmare.

Last edited by itwasntme : 1st January 2020 at 13:33.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 19:33   #18173
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
During the last 3-4 days, a proper, full makeover is in progress and a complete new layer of asphalt is being laid out after filling up the ruts, potholes, etc. Hope this lasts a couple of years at least
Ok, just found out that the real reason for this hurried makeover of roads around C V Raman Nagar is because our PM is visiting one or more DRDO establishments today!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 20:20   #18174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, just found out that the real reason for this hurried makeover of roads around C V Raman Nagar is because our PM is visiting one or more DRDO establishments today!
Not just CV Raman Nagar. Today they were painting Hebbal flyover walls at 0830 peak traffic . Also around lunchtime a lot of stray patching work was ongoing near Raj Bhavan as PM is staying there overnight.

Tomorrow he is inaugurating the Indian Science Congress at UAS/GKVK at Jakkur (Bellary Road) before flying out from KIAL/HAL (unsure) in the afternoon.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...182-2020-01-02
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 06:55   #18175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was there, while he had passed one side of the road to go to DRDO, the other side was getting road markings painted for his return to Raj Bhavan

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd January 2020 at 08:16. Reason: typo
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 07:58   #18176
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I was there, while he had passed one side of the road to go to DRDO, the other side was getting road markings painted for his return to Raj Bhavan.
Wow, such visits of VIPs does spur a lot of hyperactivity in otherwise hibernating government agencies!

Some new developments on Suranjan Das Road - lane markings, median painted in black and white zebra stripes, new (looks like a temp arrangement) aluminium pipes of 2-3" diameter unlike regular street light poles that are much wider, installed every 20 feet or so for additional lighting on both sides of the road and an electrical wire running along connecting each pole, all this done in under 48 hours on a war footing!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd January 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 08:58   #18177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I knew it had to be something like this! I was pretty happy that at least in the New Year perhaps the BBMP had gotten their act together and were tarring the roads, but when I saw several cops standing in the afternoon on Suranjan Das road a couple of days ago, I realized that all this repair work was because of some political visit.

Doesn't matter which government is in power, they will repair roads only for these guys and their 20-30 minute usage. The thousands of us ordinary citizens who use these roads everyday, and actually pay for it through taxes, well forget it!

Last edited by am1m : 3rd January 2020 at 09:02.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:50   #18178
Team-BHP Support

I have completely reversed my opinion on VIP road travel. I'd go as far as proposing we have monthly visits from assorted VIP worthies, criss-crossing the town. I'll gladly swallow a day or two of clogged roads in exchange for actual roads we can use. It's a given the moonscape won't see repairs for the gen-pop, might as well support a trickle-down from the 'rulers'.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd January 2020 at 14:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:25   #18179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Be very careful as it can turn a self-drive personal/business trip or an airport drop into an expensive nightmare.
They have put one on the other side of the road too (Airport to city side). Last Saturday night, there was a serial accident involving some 4 cars thanks to this.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 20:10   #18180
BHPian

The Benigannahalli underpass was closed for some reason this evening. Anybody has any idea? Is that also going to be white topped?

50% good news- The Hennur underpass white topping is completed.
The bad news is that the other half will be started soon.

The Ramamurthy Nagar underpass work is still not completed !.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks