Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2020, 12:11   #18226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
New Delhi's Airport Metro
I've used the Delhi Airport Metro each time I've gone to Delhi, but haven't been there in a couple of years. How's the patronage these days? Will be going again in May. Remember it being almost empty early in the morning. Hope it's improved and more people are using it. And hope Bangalore gets our very own airport line as soon as possible.

Delhi or Bangalore, I'd opt for a metro or a bus any day over a crooked, sleepy cabbie, even if it means a little extra effort to get to and from the stop.

Last edited by am1m : 21st January 2020 at 12:13.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:51   #18227
Senior - BHPian

The key lies in pricing. If Metro or the Railway to the airport costs even 50 rupees lesser than the bus, people will adopt them.
Right now a cab ride to Hebbal from the airport costs about 600-700 rupees (the bus costs 200).

Only exception is when I'm traveling with elderly folks who will find it difficult to commute via public transport.
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:47   #18228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
If Metro or the Railway to the airport costs even 50 rupees lesser than the bus, people will adopt them.

Only exception is when I'm traveling with elderly folks who will find it difficult to commute via public transport.
Also factor is the crucial difference that the Indian Railway halt is 5 km from the current terminal T1 and even more from T2 coming up towards the end. The Metro will terminate under the existing BMTC bus station, i.e the current empty area between T1 & the bus bays.
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:37   #18229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Also factor is the crucial difference that the Indian Railway halt is 5 km from the current terminal T1 and even more from T2 coming up towards the end. The Metro will terminate under the existing BMTC bus station, i.e the current empty area between T1 & the bus bays.
I guess there should be mono rail from Railway stop, not sure if buses are good solution for this 5 km travel..
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:19   #18230
BHPian

Today witnessed a scary incident while on the drive to work in the morning. I was in the outer ring road and suddenly out of nowhere a helmet landed right on front of my car.

Since the road was unusually empty and the speed was about 60 kmph, I couldn't brake to a complete halt considering the distance between my car and the taxi vehicle behind me. However I slowed down to about 35 kmph and had to go over the helmet. Fortunately there was a mild 'thud' and looks like there was not much damage.

Fortunately it was a half-faced helmet and the damage was nil. Just imaging the same situation with a full-faced helmet gives me creeps.

Any quick check I can carry out on my car underbody to analyze the damage?
Old 23rd January 2020, 13:49   #18231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post

Any quick check I can carry out on my car underbody to analyze the damage?
If it was one of those roadside top-hat sort of things, there shouldn't be any damage unless it directly hit something sensitive like a fluid line.

Check for any obvious drips/leaks in your parking spot, but if you must for peace of mind, get the car up on a lift (or a service pit) and take a look at the underbody.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd January 2020 at 13:51.
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:17   #18232
BHPian

Traffic alert : if you are travelling towards Jayanagar from Silk Board, expect delays as traffic police are diverting cars and TTs from axa signal. Only 2 wheelers and BMTC buses allowed
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 23:25   #18233
BHPian

Bangalore traffic is trending in Twitter right now ! Seems like the jayadeva flyover demolition is causing the huge jams ! Even traveling by 2 wheeler didn't help !
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 07:31   #18234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Bangalore traffic is trending in Twitter right now ! Seems like the jayadeva flyover demolition is causing the huge jams ! Even traveling by 2 wheeler didn't help !
Yes, the traffic had piled up from Bellandur flyover all the way to Silk board. Very frustrating.
The Jayadeva flyover demolition will need ~90 days as per news reports.
Merry days ahead
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 07:47   #18235
BHPian

Truck has broken down (tyre puncture) at the exit of the intel flyover towards the marathalli side, plan your commute accordingly.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:23   #18236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Traffic alert : if you are travelling towards Jayanagar from Silk Board, expect delays as traffic police are diverting cars and TTs from axa signal. Only 2 wheelers and BMTC buses allowed
Police have set up *invisible* (no barricades but plenty of cops on road) checkpoint at AXA signal to divert traffic coming from Silkboard, sending only BMTC & 2-wheelers towards Jayadeva and other traffic on 29th main. This police block has resulted in traffic pile-up in ORR till Belandur, in Koramangala.

On the bus lane - Bus lane fading out within two months ...
The bus lane was promoted by BMTC but Traffic Police seem least interested. Police are blaming commuters for non-adherence. Police are very keen on enforcing helmet rule than any other thing in the rule book.

IMO, the bus lane on ORR is failing since
1) During *non-peak* hours, buses don't stick to the bus lane. They wander all-around even to the fast lane.
2) During *peak* hours, traffic spills over to bus lane and even the marshall manning the bus lanes in their camouflage uniform can't do anything other than waving hand.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 11:28   #18237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Police have set up *invisible* (no barricades but plenty of cops on road) checkpoint at AXA signal to divert traffic coming from Silkboard...
Yes, I saw a cop having a speaker and trying to manage the traffic at the junction. My plan is to get down at silk board, walk across the junction , risk my limbs and walk till Axa signal and get another bus to my stop in Jayanagar
Old 24th January 2020, 12:14   #18238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the bus lane - Bus lane fading out within two months ...
The bus lane was promoted by BMTC but Traffic Police seem least interested.
I wonder if people even know that driving over lane markings is a bad idea. This includes bus drivers too. Unless that is understood, no lane marking will stand strong in our conditions. Such a pity. Lots of money is put into these things and then they go for waste or not last as expected. Only the contractors get richer.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 12:50   #18239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I wonder if people even know that driving over lane markings is a bad idea.
Aiyoo saar, if people in Bangalore understood that driving the wrong way/on the opposite lane and on footpaths is a bad idea, that itself would be a great start! The finer points like not driving over lane markings, not parking on the road and blocking traffic, etc etc are a looong way away!

Last edited by am1m : 24th January 2020 at 12:51.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 14:03   #18240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) During *peak* hours, traffic spills over to bus lane and even the marshall manning the bus lanes in their camouflage uniform can't do anything other than waving hand.
Yes, Marshall with military uniform is given a loudspeaker, and no one listens to him, since he has no authority to fine. Marshall manning the bus lane has become like a mannequin, just standing there.

Instead Marshall should have been given camera, so that he click violators and police uploads the fine. BMTC, BBMP, BTP and even CM had a photo event for launch of Bus lane and everyone forgot to implement and project has become a joke.
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks