Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2020, 17:45   #18361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is a discussion on the same NICE road deviation topic on another thread as well. It may take a while before the whole stretch is completed and we can expect traffic jams and delays during this period.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...galore-81.html (Query: NICE Road - Bangalore)
Old 12th March 2020, 18:08   #18362
BHPian

One RJ mentioned that Bangalore is a city that is perpetually under construction. Things are never finished. Bangalore is a city Work in Progress. I loved it.
gtonsing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 04:49   #18363
Senior - BHPian

I guess every city is 'always under construction'. Look at Mumbai, the Metro is taking forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
One RJ mentioned that Bangalore is a city that is perpetually under construction. Things are never finished. Bangalore is a city Work in Progress. I loved it.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 10:46   #18364
Distinguished - BHPian

Our entire office has been asked to work from home for the whole of next week to test how we'd respond in case there are extended forced shutdowns due to the Covid-19 epidemic.

Expecting more companies to follow suit in the coming weeks. Definitely not meaning to trivialize the seriousness of the situation, but like a senior HR friend of mine said, this may end up changing the face of how we work. Companies might finally see the benefits of making working from home, or at least remote the norm. Hoping traffic eases up and so does stress.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:17   #18365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Look at Mumbai, the Metro is taking forever
Request you to pls stop saying that! (not just about Mumbai metro, but other cities too). Let me elaborate ...

This post is esp for people who complain about slow metro work (Here by *people*, I don't necessarily mean you, but rather the general population):

Most people (who BTW, are quite uninterested in infra construction matters, being quite non-overlapping with their zone of interest) in *all* Indian cities are very unrealistic in their expectation about the present metro rail construction. Nowadays constructing *one* large apartment complex within an enclosed, unchanging premises takes minimum 3 years to construct. And taking 5-6 years has started becoming very common actually. How then can one expect an *entire* metro rail line to get constructed sooner, with its myriad of issues that it encounters along the way *city-wide* (land acquisition, utility shifting, environment, etc)?

Most people simply base their statements about "Oh, this construction is so slow!" on their unfounded frustration upon seeing bad traffic due to the ongoing works. They have 0-sensitivity towards the amount of effort and coordination it takes to get something like this built. Heck, most people wont know what a girder means, what a casting yard is, etc. No wonder many people mistook the Aarey car shed (in Mumbai) as some kind of car parking lot!

Hope people get more realistic and supportive of such large infra projects, and are more patient, rather than expressing frustration about slow metro work when its not the case at all. Mumbai metro, Pune metro, Blore metro, Chennai metro and some others, are working at a never-before-seen fantastic pace, working 24x7 at several places. Its simply a hard problem, and will take its due course.

Last edited by vharihar : 13th March 2020 at 11:18.
vharihar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:35   #18366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Our entire office has been asked to work from home for the whole of next week to test how we'd respond in case there are extended forced shutdowns due to the Covid-19 epidemic.
Same case here. We have been asked to keep 25% of staff at home today to check if the remote access infrastructure can take the load of so many people working at home at the same time.
Old 13th March 2020, 13:26   #18367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Request you to pls stop saying that! (not just about Mumbai metro...

Hope people get more realistic and supportive of such large infra projects, and are more patient, rather than expressing frustration about slow metro work when its not the case at all. Mumbai metro, Pune metro, Blore metro, Chennai metro and some others, are working at a never-before-seen fantastic pace, working 24x7 at several places. Its simply a hard problem, and will take its due course.
Sorry, just don't agree. Prime example to the contrary - China. Please check their record breaking construction times. 30 days to build a 1000 bed hospital. A couple of days ago another record - 1000 bed hospital in 10 days.
I have seen road building and other construction in the USA - it is done in reasonable time - they are nothing great, no records broken. Just average construction.

Should we stay with the bullock cart or strive to do better? I think all of us in this forum are for speed and technology.
My request to those running the country - get the Chinese to build a few railway tracks, roads and public buildings and then copy their methods.Another reason to be thoroughly disappointed with the construction times is the lack of facilities for public wherever disruption occurs - like proper alternative routes and other facilities. Construction takes decades, but the public must make do with bad, narrow slow roads and the residents and businesses must bear with dangerous uncovered pits, construction machinery and general mayhem. Come on, we can do better!

Last edited by mvadg : 13th March 2020 at 13:47.
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:53   #18368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar
This post is esp for people who complain about slow metro work
I tend to agree with you. Yes, Bangalore Metro started late with outdated surveys etc and the initial phases were slow. But the line towards Whitefield and even towards Electronics City I can say that the work is going at a steady pace. Especially the Whitefield line, they are going ahead of schedule. But as you said these are not building toy cities using Lego building blocks and the work involved is more complex. I was commuting to Whitefiled by car for two and a half years, and I did see the changes happening and how methodically they were getting the work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg
Prime example to the contrary - China. Please check their record breaking construction times.
China is a communist dictatorship. They have the wherewithal to bulldoze any form of opposition and throw men and machine in huge capacity. They have an 'internal passport' system which can even restrict a citizen's movement within the country. If Hosur Road was in China, it does NOT make them more than a day to bring a rule that NO person can use that road. The techie crowd wanting to commute to Electronics City etc will have to just keep shut and obey. Or else they can write new programs sitting in "Re-Education camps" (a nice term for a prison). They can use their internal passport system and just say that from the next day no new migrants can come into Bangalore city, unless the metro work is completed. And by then no body will even dare to oppose such measures because Chinese don't have any hesitation in "re-educating people" .

India being a more vibrant democracy have its own draw backs. Many of the people who worship speed and technology (not that it is bad) don't realise that there is also a large part of Indian society who still needs to get their basic needs met. Marie Antoniette like belief (they don't have bread, let them have cakes instead) will not help in the long term, IMHO. Governments in the country will have to take care of every type of citizens they have (poor, middle income, rich etc. etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
We have been asked to keep 25% of staff at home today to check if the remote access infrastructure can take the load of so many people working at home at the same time.
Same here. Various business units in our office also is asked to log in from home to test the 'business continuity'. I did not even venture out from the village where I stay . So I don't know how the traffic in the city limits are during this week.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 15:37   #18369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Same case here. We have been asked to keep 25% of staff at home today to check if the remote access infrastructure can take the load of so many people working at home at the same time.
We also did a India wide stress test yesterday, with minimum of 50% staff working remotely. Yet to get the results.
In my present organization, work from home is quite common unless the role is client facing.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th March 2020 at 18:11. Reason: Typo.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:29   #18370
Senior - BHPian

Is there some white topping or similar road blockage stuff going on around Bannerghatta road towards airport route? Have to go pickup someone tomorrow afternoon and am wondering should I drive or rather get a cab
Old 13th March 2020, 17:55   #18371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Is there some white topping or similar road blockage stuff going on around Bannerghatta road towards airport route? Have to go pickup someone tomorrow afternoon and am wondering should I drive or rather get a cab
There is Metro construction going on and there are diversions/narrow section till Diary Circle.

I went to the airport from Bannerghatta Road (Near Gottigere) to the airport and back using NICE Road & Outer Ring Road. It took me around 1 1/2 hours one way.

In you case, considering that you have to go in the afternoon and your return would mostly be in the evening, you may face heavy traffic on the return journey. So, a cab or the Airport bus may be better suited for you.

Last edited by Aiel : 13th March 2020 at 17:58.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 21:45   #18372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Sorry, just don't agree. Prime example to the contrary - China. Please check their record breaking construction times. 30 days to build a 1000 bed hospital. A couple of days ago another record - 1000 bed hospital in 10 days.
I have seen road building and other construction in the USA - it is done in reasonable time - they are nothing great, no records broken. Just average construction.
China is a wrong comparison, during Metro Phase-1, work on CMH road stretch couldn't start for almost 18 months due to court cases. Ofcourse there are inefficiencies, I'm not debating that but lets be reaslistic, if administration in India start working like China, then we will be the first people to be disappointed with it...

With regard to US, Yes US did lot of work on road construction in 70s-80s when density was much lesser which is great example of vision and future proofing infra capacity. Having said that, in congested cities, the projects have been quite challenging. I have myself observed civil work being done in LA and surrounding areas causing enough chaos, ofcourse there is much lesser dust, and better marking on the road. But the effect on traffic pretty bad.

I remember watching a documentary on construction of airport expressway at Boston. Challenges that were faced, the delay and cost escalations that happened in the project.
Old 14th March 2020, 08:22   #18373
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT - What is the best route to take from North Bangalore to HSR layout as on date? NICE seems to have WIP sections, Jayanagar - metro WIP. Residency Road - Forum Mall - Madiwala the best bet?
Old 14th March 2020, 08:29   #18374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Slightly OT - What is the best route to take from North Bangalore to HSR layout as on date? NICE seems to have WIP sections, Jayanagar - metro WIP. Residency Road - Forum Mall - Madiwala the best bet?
On a weekend I would prefer ORR. It is much better compared to regular days.

I often need to visit Vijaya Bank layout off Bannerghatta road from Yelahanka and I always take ORR and the reach here via Begur road after Silkboard. But this is strictly on weekends.

NICE may be an overkill if on weekends. On weekdays NICE would make much sense.

Also, expect less traffic via City route due to Coronavirus and shut down of many establishments. So city route via Richmond Circle Langford Road Forum Krupanidhi also makes sense.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 08:38   #18375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So city route via Richmond Circle Langford Road Forum Krupanidhi also makes sense.
Thanks for ORR suggestion Parag. Will either take that or city route depending on traffic conditions.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks