Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 00:21   #19726

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
For both of these cases, walking makes better sense, I believe. One can take short cuts to cut down some distance and time.
I have to drop my kid to daycare on the way so that option is ruled out for me. But I do observe people who are on foot - they usually struggle to find space to walk as sometimes even bikes are on the footpath, they occasionally get splashed whenever a bike or car zooms past the pool of accumulated water, the dust that's there you can feel inside you even with a mask on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you are on a two-wheeler and the traffic is gridlocked to this extend - you could try Bellandur-Bellandur Bridge-Sakra Hospital-Patel School-Vaswani Astoria-Prestige Tech Park-Kadubisanahalli. Village roads in the middle of the city but can cut down that time a lot.
I tried this route once but it did not make much of a difference to me as my commute is in a car and the road is still narrow in few places when the vehicles are coming from both sides. I will probably try out this route again by getting a heads up of the traffic situation with the help of google maps in advance.
Old 4th July 2022, 11:04   #19727
Distinguished - BHPian

Hebbal mess inbound to Bangalore City. Both the entry/exits in front of Manipal Hospital & Esteem Mall have been barricaded off. As a result, there is no merging possible.

Traffic is somewhat better on the service road. Main flyover carriageway is badly backed up for quite a distance.

Check Maps carefully before travelling inbound and decide whether to take the flyover or stay below on the service roads.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:14   #19728
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

With white topping in progress on parts of CMH road and 100 feet road in Indiranagar, traffic is a mess trying to get around the work in progress sections. The one side where the work has been completed on CMH road is now a free for all parking lot!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 09:08   #19729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hebbal mess inbound to Bangalore City. Both the entry/exits in front of Manipal Hospital & Esteem Mall have been barricaded off. As a result, there is no merging possible.

Bengaluru’s traffic jam scene gets spicier on Monday morning

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...g-2472779.html
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 10:02   #19730
Distinguished - BHPian

WFH today but I think they have opened at least the barricaded entry/exit points. Traffic congestion seems to be less than yesterday at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20220705094044.jpg  

Old 5th July 2022, 19:57   #19731
BHPian

Service road from HSR to Iblur junction is now closed for drain repair work. It will be like this for couple of weeks atleast (looking at how long the service road next to Agara lake is closed). Do not even think of going by car during peak traffic this side. Today morning traffic was jammed all around agara junction due to this sudden change. I was able to do what any biker do and go through the narrow gaps between cars and buses. Follow my lead and ride a bike if you have to pass this stretch during peak hours.
ambandla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 20:08   #19732
Distinguished - BHPian

While Bangalore traffic is back with a vengeance, I observed something interesting(This is in and around the IT belt of ORR, Sarjapur Road). Pre-pandemic times, out of 10 cars on the road, 7 would be cabs. Today, post pandemic, it seems the opposite. Of 10 cars on the road, only 3 are cabs and the rest are private cars. Two Wheelers also seem to have increased drastically. Earlier you would see cabs parked all over the place anywhere where there is a gap, now you do not see that anymore.

The reasons for this are well know. Less cabs on the road, pandemic impact to the drivers, huge increase in rates, lesser company transportations, people getting used to own transport, lesser car pooling etc.

Also probably explains why even with probably 30% of the IT crowd regularly back to office, the traffic looks and feels like the pre-pandemic levels in the IT corridors.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 05:45   #19733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bengaluru’s traffic jam scene gets spicier on Monday morning

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...g-2472779.html
New traffic plan to ease Hebbal gridlock
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...k-1124474.html

Confused which 'loop' to take once diverted towards KRP. Will any commuter today clarify?
Old 7th July 2022, 10:15   #19734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Confused which 'loop' to take once diverted towards KRP. Will any commuter today clarify?
during peak hours, I generally take the current suggested route almost always, and have found this to be faster provided the traffic under the flyover waiting for signal towards BEL side does not back up too far. But with all the traffic from under the elevated highway waiting at the signal, wonder what will happen there!! There is barely enough space for a free left towards the loop before the signal.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 10:16   #19735
BHPian

Quote:
New traffic plan to ease Hebbal gridlock
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...k-1124474.html

From the press release, the main impact is for the traffic below the airport expressway (yelahanka, kodigehalli traffic). Those going towards the city would have to take the service lane and take left at the hebbal junction signal on to the loop up ramp (marked in the image).
Name:  hebbal.png
Views: 262
Size:  125.5 KB

Airport->KR puram, take the service road
Airport->Tumakur Road, , take the service road

The consequence would probably that the Hebbal Circle would become very busy. But looking at the traffic volumes (received from a whats app fwd), this should make the current bad situation, slightly better.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hebbaltrafficflow.png
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Press Note-1.pdf (223.8 KB, 88 views)
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 10:32   #19736
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

No city-bound path under the floyver, so everyone from the expressway service road now has to take the loop onto the flyover located right after the signal on the KR Puram bound carriageway.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20220707104656.png

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2022 at 10:53.
Old 7th July 2022, 11:06   #19737
Distinguished - BHPian

^^So if I'm heading from airport to (my ) Bangalore Palace, I don't take the straight central lane over the flyover, but instead take the left do the loop and then join the flyover?

Edit: Seems like I just repeated what @Chetan_Rao & @whitewing just illustrated (lol). But I doubt this will improve anything to be honest.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th July 2022 at 11:10.
Old 7th July 2022, 11:33   #19738
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
... I doubt this will improve anything to be honest.
They're just moving around choke-points.

Instead of the mess where service road joined the main carriageway, it'll now happen on the flyover where the on-ramp merges in, a few hundred meters ahead.

Also, the service road towards the signal is barely two lanes, so expect both the service road leading upto the signal and the spillover to ORR towards KR Puram to cause a secondary nightmare for ORR commuters.

Anyone coming that way and working along ORR (Manyata or beyond) will be

Quote:
if I'm heading from airport to Bangalore Palace, I don't take the straight central lane over the flyover, but instead take the left do the loop and then join the flyover?
No, only relevant for those who can't get on the final city-bound elevated section of the expressway (the one after the railway overpass near Kogilu Cross junction). Anyone coming from beyond that point will already be on the main carriageway and can continue straight.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2022 at 11:37.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 11:55   #19739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
only relevant for those who can't get on the final city-bound elevated section of the expressway (the one after the railway overpass near Kogilu Cross junction). Anyone coming from beyond that point will already be on the main carriageway and can continue straight.
I think those coming from Airport / Hyderabad and wanting to go towards KR Pura / Whitefield / Marathahalli need to skip the elevated road immediately after this railway overpass to take the ORR? Or am I reading the directions wrongly?
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 12:10   #19740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think those coming from Airport / Hyderabad and wanting to go towards KR Pura / Whitefield / Marathahalli need to skip the elevated road immediately after this railway overpass to take the ORR? Or am I reading the directions wrongly?
Yes, it appears so, if one wants to join ORR at Hebbal in either direction - left towards KR Puram or right towards BEL/Tumkur Rd. No way to get off the main carriageway to ORR if one stays on expressway until Esteem Mall as earlier.

Fun fact: there's Metro work at that interchange spot (I use it regularly), and it'll get significantly narrower as work progresses. If it now has to act as the defacto expressway-service road interchange for city-bound traffic, welcome to another circle of hell.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2022 at 12:38.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks