Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:03   #19696
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Oh my god, that's beautiful! Which year was this?
Tabibuea Rosea shot is from early this year (March or April). The empty stretch shot is from the lockdown in 2020. In fact, every day the trees looked pretty but the vehicle waiting at the signal drew the attention.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:33   #19697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In fact, every day the trees looked pretty but the vehicle waiting at the signal drew the attention.
True statement! Now that I think about it, most of the trees in the neighborhood I grew up in (and used as stumps during cricket games) are still around, I just don't notice them anymore when I pass through these days because of the parked vehicles! (And of course, I'm a part of that traffic/problem too!)

Someday when we have a fully functional Metro that covers every part of the city and moving walkways that take care of last-mile connectivity, perhaps Bangalore will be the gorgeous city that it can be. It's really a beautiful city without the cars and bikes.
Old 24th June 2022, 09:49   #19698
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday afternoon, around 3 pm, I took the SH-35 from Dommasandra circle towards Varthur. From Gunjur lake till Varthur, a distance of just about 3 km, it took over an hour. Traffic was totally stand-still for minutes together several times, to the extent that I switched off the car.

There was a post on twitter a couple of weeks back mentioning the same situation. I thought it might have been a one-off thing, but it seems like this is a daily situation. It did not rain yesterday, neither did I see any other unusual cause (like an accident or road works) for those traffic conditions.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:49   #19699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Yesterday afternoon, around 3 pm, I took the SH-35 from Dommasandra circle towards Varthur. From Gunjur lake till Varthur, a distance of just about 3 km, it took over an hour. Traffic was totally stand-still for minutes together several times, to the extent that I switched off the car.

There was a post on twitter a couple of weeks back mentioning the same situation. I thought it might have been a one-off thing, but it seems like this is a daily situation. It did not rain yesterday, neither did I see any other unusual cause (like an accident or road works) for those traffic conditions.
This is probably due to school bus and school related car traffic. There are probably around 10-15 schools in the Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur and another 15 odd in the Dommasandra-ORR belt and all the buses and cars hit the road from 3PM onwards.

From 2.30-4, the whole Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur and Dommasandra-Carmelaram-Iblur ORR sees very heavy school bus traffic + the cars due to self pick up and drop.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 11:31   #19700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Yes, about 14 kms of it at a cost of Rs.23C

The Special Commissioner of Projects, BBMP was proud of this achievement;
Quote:
If they can get their act together and mobilize 23cr and manpower to make all this happen in one day,
And now to add injury to insult:

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...t-1120808.html

"Bengaluru road asphalted for Modi's visit peels off in 2 days; PMO seeks answer from Bommai govt"

"A video that shows near-instant deterioration of Bengaluru roads that were newly asphalted to smoothen the travel of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s convoy during his recent visit has gone viral."
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 12:25   #19701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post

I love my daughter, but the one thing I am not brave enough to do is to pick her up from school in the same area.

I did it on the first day (first day of physical school after 2 years so was a bit concerned) and I felt real pity for the residents of that area with the way the school buses of atleast 3 schools ( Chrysalis, Greenwood and Inventure is what I counted) literally occupy the entire "highway". To add to it were more parents of toddlers like me who were concerned with school transport on the first day.

Thankfully she enjoys going by bus, and these drivers know how to deal with the traffic, and hence I havent had to go that side since the first day.

Road widening is happening from Gunjur to Attibele but Varthur to Gunjur doesnt seem to be on the table. I hope they do this before Brigade Utopia is fully constructed since that will definitely multiply the traffic on this road.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 15:58   #19702
Senior - BHPian

When I used to work at Sarjapur, I always used to crib and sometimes fight with the drivers of these school buses. They drive rash, stop in between lanes to drop kids(I partially blame the parents for these too) and generally bully other traffic. There should be some semblance of responsibility on them as they are driving school kids around. I am not sure how much school authorities ensure that they drive responsibly.
Old 24th June 2022, 16:10   #19703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
When I used to work at Sarjapur, I always used to crib and sometimes fight with the drivers of these school buses...
I once suggested to the inspector at the local police station that they go to the school and request them to deduct 5 marks from a student's score in some random subject every time their parents car is found wrongly parked or unnecessarily honking. But I don't expect anything much to happen, these are exactly the kids of the rulers we complain so much about.

The school buses themselves are parked blocking more than half the road causing inconvenience to nearby residents. I expect that these kids who use these buses will take India to new lows.
Old 24th June 2022, 16:20   #19704
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
When I used to work at Sarjapur, I always used to crib and sometimes fight with the drivers of these school buses. They drive rash, stop in between lanes to drop kids(I partially blame the parents for these too) and generally bully other traffic.
It's not worth it, I say this from my own experiences over the years. You're dealing with thugs and henchmen of politically and financially strong people and putting yourself at risk. Just move on. We cannot (forcefully) change the situation on the ground and it needs everyone to do their bit, much like following traffic rules on our roads, no amount of new laws or even enforcement will help.
Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but that is the reality and we have to be pragmatic.

Last edited by NPV : 24th June 2022 at 16:22.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:20   #19705
Senior - BHPian

Elsewhere in the world school buses get treated with deference on the road. It is in India that a bus dropping or picking up kids get such hatred, so much so that the kids themselves - whose lack of agency is otherwise acknowledged - are blamed and instead of being seen as tomorrow's hope, they are thought of as the villains of the piece.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 18:07   #19706
BHPian

Quote:
And now to add injury to insult

"Bengaluru road asphalted for Modi's visit peels off in 2 days; PMO seeks answer from Bommai govt"

"A video that shows near-instant deterioration of Bengaluru roads that were newly asphalted to smoothen the travel of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s convoy during his recent visit has gone viral."
Update: It seems the contractor is fined a mere Rs. 3 Lakhs. What a loot. Paying in crores and fining few lakhs. Even bigger irony is BBMP claiming this incident has tarnished their image and reputation

Source: Today's New Indian Express
thanixravindran is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:31   #19707
Senior - BHPian

DGP Karnataka says this, again!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20220627152626_twitter.jpg

Let us see whether if this gets implemented on ground.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:38   #19708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
DGP Karnataka says this, again!

Attachment 2325824

Let us see whether if this gets implemented on ground.
They have found a way around this.

They are stopping vehicles and checking documents stating there have been many robberies around.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:49   #19709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

The school buses themselves are parked blocking more than half the road causing inconvenience to nearby residents.
This is true too and the cops don't do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's not worth it, I say this from my own experiences over the years. You're dealing with thugs and henchmen of politically and financially strong people and putting yourself at risk. Just move on. We cannot (forcefully) change the situation on the ground and it needs everyone to do their bit, much like following traffic rules on our roads, no amount of new laws or even enforcement will help.
I realized this after a few futile tries from my end. I then started to ignore them by putting on some slow soothing music and moving along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Elsewhere in the world school buses get treated with deference on the road. It is in India that a bus dropping or picking up kids get such hatred, so much so that the kids themselves - whose lack of agency is otherwise acknowledged - are blamed and instead of being seen as tomorrow's hope, they are thought of as the villains of the piece.
I only want to comment on the bolded lines of your quoted post. In other countries (atleast to the countries I have been) , I have not seen even one of the school buses being driven rash or them bully other vehicles to yield (honks, tailgate closely). And I do yield them way whenever there is possibility as the bus has to reach the school on time. But their(bus drivers) entitled behavior on road is what riles me.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 16:01   #19710
BHPian

Quote:
And now to add injury to insult:

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...t-1120808.html

PMO wants to know since PM could have travelled on the caved-in road. What about the everyday Joe who has to use the other un-asphalted and dangerous roads ?

Recently out CM visited RR Nagar and lot of roads in this constituency got asphalted. I never felt happy since it was done for one trip that CM made while everyday, everyone has to travel on pathetic roads. They dont even use their personal cars and they are maintained by tax money
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks