Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 15:36   #21196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A hybrid work model may be the best, IMHO.
I could be wrong, but I think yesterday's extra-large jam was a consequence of the hybrid model? I assume a lot of people decided to complete one of the mandated 'in-office' days yesterday (Wednesday) because today is a holiday, tomorrow is a Karnataka bandh (Friday), and Monday is another holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
We are building massive ROBs/tunnel highways (mostly in North) One such investment along ORR will solve lot of things.
Found an old pic on my phone from when I used to work there. This is almost exactly 5 years ago, at 9PM. Now the number of buildings, companies and cars will have increased, plus some part of the road will be occupied for Metro construction.

I mean, that's already a big road. How much wider can we make it? And we know what happens to existing roads in Bangalore while some big infra upgrade project is being done. The only solution is the Metro, which going by BMRCL's amazing deadline performance, I don't see being completed anytime soon. Till then, what do we do? I only see remote work as a solution. Or bear with days like yesterday more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-orr.jpg  

Last edited by am1m : 28th September 2023 at 15:50.
am1m is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 15:46   #21197
Distinguished - BHPian

Rishivaths, an X user, was stuck in Bengaluru traffic on Wednesday when hunger pangs struck. So, from his car, he placed an order with Dominos and guess what? His order was delivered in the middle of severe Bengaluru traffic.

On X, Rishivaths posted a 30-second video of the moment. The clip was filmed from his car as Rishivaths was stuck on a busy road in Bengaluru. Two Dominos agents arrived on their scooter, parked the vehicle, and delivered the order to Rishivaths in his car.

(From this link below)

Viral video: Stuck in massive Bengaluru traffic, man gets pizza delivered to car

http://dhunt.in/PBQWs?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "India Today" via Dailyhunt
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 20:36   #21198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Makes sense doesn't it?
Absolutely! They need more people to pay congestion tax right?
Old 29th September 2023, 00:29   #21199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I could be wrong, but I think yesterday's extra-large jam was a consequence of the hybrid model? I assume a lot of people decided to complete one of the mandated 'in-office' days yesterday (Wednesday) because today is a holiday, tomorrow is a Karnataka bandh (Friday), and Monday is another holiday.

Found an old pic on my phone from when I used to work there. This is almost exactly 5 years ago, at 9PM. Now the number of buildings, companies and cars will have increased, plus some part of the road will be occupied for Metro construction.

I mean, that's already a big road. How much wider can we make it? And we know what happens to existing roads in Bangalore while some big infra upgrade project is being done. The only solution is the Metro, which going by BMRCL's amazing deadline performance, I don't see being completed anytime soon. Till then, what do we do? I only see remote work as a solution. Or bear with days like yesterday more often.
Metro construction and potholes are having an impact. Metro and Suburban rail completion need to be fast tracked. Plus last mile connectivity to these 2. Need more parallel and sub arterial roads connecting to ORR as well.
achilles101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 09:17   #21200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It should be a slap on every HR and Management who decide to still move into the Ecospace region and feel they can call employees to office for 2-3 days a week. After opening of Embassy Tech Village and some campuses surrounding Ecospace, the situation is bad..
You nailed it. One doesn't need too much common sense to understand most of those buildings are violating regulations and doing encroachments. One can argue that it is natural to do so to grow- then they should be happy to deal with floods and traffic too. The corporates have to take the blame because they are feeding the greedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
There's also the mammoth Prestige tech park coming on the Bellandur Lake road.
Lake road or lake itself? The greed leading to stupidity in this belt is to contain lakes into define boundaries and slowly chip away the buffer zones.

The issue with Whitefield is that people got so greedy that they eliminated possibility of having more roads for connectivity.
WhiteKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 09:45   #21201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Lake road or lake itself? The greed leading to stupidity in this belt is to contain lakes into define boundaries and slowly chip away the buffer zones.
Not just that. They have the storm water drain right beside them on the other end. The one which created havoc a year ago.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 09:59   #21202
BHPian

As a fallout of the extreme gridlock on Wednesday, we do have immediate action below -

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...4.cms?from=mdr

I do not know if these guys are plain stupid, evil or are now just having a few laughs at our expense.
The 2 solutions in addition to a robust public infrastructure that might make the traffic more livable would be 2 wheeler taxis and car pooling. And these are the two that are under the scanner with autos charging away to glory with their minimum now settled at Rs100, and pardon my vernacular, meter gaya bhad mein
Old 29th September 2023, 10:12   #21203
BHPian

Nothing in the city will change unless the government cracks down on the auto rickshaw mafia and improves last mile connectivity. When I worked in Nariman point in Mumbai in 2002, there were shared taxis available from Churchgate station for Rs 6.50 per seat. From VT station it was Rs 9.50 per seat for the same destination. No arguing, no wasting time. Just stand in the queue, which would move very fast, board your taxi and arrive at your destination without fuss.

In 2007 I used to work in Bandra Kurla complex and there were double decker buses plying one after the other from Bandra Station East to BKC. There was literally no waiting time. For the 6 years I worked in Mumbai, I used public transport 80% of the time. Yes, it was tedious, to walk a bit, take the bus, walk a bit again and take the train, and finally walk a bit and reach office. But transport was guaranteed, and it was a huge load off everyone's mind.

Now here in Bangalore try implementing shared autos or fixed pricing from hub spots. It is laughable how much clout the rickshaw drivers have in this city.
Malyaj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:20   #21204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
It is laughable how much clout the rickshaw drivers have in this city.
This is the tragedy of our lovely city. If the auto guys would ply as required, and you could be assured of getting one anytime at a meter rate, there might have never been this many private vehicles or cabs in the first place.

Unlike in Mumbai's weather, walking even 1km is not hard during most months in Bangalore. And given the narrow side-roads, Metro+auto+a bit of walking would be all we really need in Bangalore.

But the auto guys are a law unto themselves, a huge vote bank. Things have improved somewhat and in a few areas with Namma Yaatri, so far. Let's hope the trend continues.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:27   #21205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG
with autos charging away to glory with their minimum now settled at Rs100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj
Now here in Bangalore try implementing shared autos or fixed pricing from hub spots. It is laughable how much clout the rickshaw drivers have in this city.
The auto rickshaw gangs of Bangalore have been a menace even 15-20 years back, and it has been more of a 'tradition'. These people (most of them youth) to put it quite bluntly come from the very lowest strata of the KA society. Mostly from slums in the city or in its vicinity. They also do not have very high hopes on improving their future or any thing like 'career planning' or 'business acumen'. Some money to buy gadgets like cell phones, may be some decent dresses, daily quota of booze is what their ultimate aim is. So they usually take a few trips to meet their daily target. These are also the folks who have the maximum band width for any rowdy activities as they have lot of spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj
In 2007 I used to work in Bandra Kurla complex and there were double decker buses plying one after the other from Bandra Station East to BKC.
I had a short stint in Mumbai in year 2003 (for around 11 months), and actually was surprised to see how the city went on. Movies like Satya released a few years back had over-hyped the Underworld shoot outs, but that was not the reality. I liked the whole 'business like' mentality. We used to travel from Bandra to Lower Parel in a shared taxi (drivers from UP, Bihar side). The rate is fixed, and few also came by the 'meter' (and a card with which they calculate the fares). The bus stands were close to suburban stations, so that hopping from train to bus was quite easy. Mumbai I always felt was an 'evolved' city, where as Bangalore is more of an 'upstart' city. No one in Mumbai seems to have time to argue.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2023 at 08:50. Reason: Political bit deleted
sachinpk is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:32   #21206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnemo View Post
I wonder how bad things are going to get in the next 5 years. For instance, near the Embassy tech park, they are in the process of constructing 2 more huge office buildings. There is one more, what looks like a mall, on the back road. And a huge green patch behind Embassy is going to occupy a large paying-guest complex, a premium Sobha project and yet another large tech park whose foundation has not yet been laid. The connectivity for all of this is a narrow 2 lane road that already caters to Embassy Tech park, Cessna, New horizon college and serves as a shortcut to ORR for Sarjapur residents. Hats off to the urban planning committee.

Never is right. What is more, they aren't stopping with the construction. I think it makes little sense to purchase real estate and cars in this part of the city
Do you by chance stay at Sandeep Square or any of the prestige properties on Bhoghanhalli road. I echo your thoughts. The traffic is a mess owing to uncontrolled construction all the time
Old 29th September 2023, 11:54   #21207
BHPian

Its not just the ORR. Even the Hosur road once you exit the Electronic City flyover was quite choked with trucks and cars leaving town for extended long weekend. I was not aware of the extended long weekend and stepped out to take my car for a highway run (to avoid DPF clogging as its been a while). I swiftly returned back doing a U-turn after seeing all the traffic. I will do the highway run during this weekend as I am expecting almost empty roads this weekend
Old 29th September 2023, 12:01   #21208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Somehow I loved the attitude of that person. You cant do anything in this situation, so just chill on flyover.

My home is 1.1 KM from my office in Bellandur & took me around 40 minutes yesterday. Luckily for me there is no U turn.
Sad part is, this is not my worst timing. Last year it took 2 hours from Agara till my home which is slightly more than 2 KM.
The problem is within us too. You could very very easily just walk to your office at a distance of 1-2kms. But looks like you used a vehicle, I am praying it was not a 4W.

There were thousands of cars with just a single occupant.
TheRandomGuy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 12:19   #21209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
The problem is within us too. You could very very easily just walk to your office at a distance of 1-2kms. But looks like you used a vehicle, I am praying it was not a 4W.

There were thousands of cars with just a single occupant.
I agree with you that 4W should not be preferred for small distance.
In my case it was indeed 4W. Primary reason being, my return time is not fixed. Many times I return at very late from work like post 10 PM. So I personally feel safer in car than to walk in late hours. Suburbs in Bangalore doesn't give confidence to walk alone in late hours from safety point of view. On this particular day, I had to return early for some other personal work and happened to be victim of jam.

Another reason for preferring own vehicle is the shoddy infra. In my locality BBMP had dug up the road and took 10 month to repair. It was just not worth walking or cycling. The road was hardly one KM long. They started digging up sometime before last Navratri and they completed sometime in August this year. There is still some work pending for footpath.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 29th September 2023 at 12:21.
Old 29th September 2023, 12:24   #21210
BHPian

I was one of the early adopters of QuikRide and what a great initiative it was. As a car owner, I always felt guilty about driving alone or with just one other person. With carpooling not only did I save money but it was a great help to other commuters as well. Had an opportunity to meet people from other companies and was lucky to have some interesting discussions during the commute. It's sad to see that the govt wants to ban it. Luckily I have been working from home for the past 3 years and just hope my company does not ask me to come back to Bengaluru anytime soon. If I ever come back, I'll probably get a good pair of shoes and will run/walk to the office as even riding my bike in this traffic will be excruciating.
arjunsatheesh is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks