Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2023, 16:01   #21136
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sheer genius on the part of our Dearly Beloved Traffic Polizei to block an arterial road such as this one near Agara on a mid week morning with a very high density of commuters.
Beautiful Bangalore! Smart City!
This is a terrible idea. The few times I had to go to Iblur-Sarjapur during the first half of the day, I had a nightmarish time trying to get to my destination. I just don't understand how can they simply block the main road when there is absolutely no reason to do so.

I read an article in the newspaper that the traffic police claim they were forced to do it because of congestion. In my opinion this made it worse. They have simply shifted congestion from one point to another.

I fail to understand how the DCP South thinks this is a solution to a problem.

Another thing that I noticed was that there is a bus stop right in the middle of the service road, just outside the IOCL fuel station which is the root cause of the traffic congestion. One bus is enough to clog the traffic. Once the bus moves, the traffic clears up.
Old 7th September 2023, 16:32   #21137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiredd1005 View Post
This is a terrible idea. ....

I read an article in the newspaper that the traffic police claim they were forced to do it because of congestion. In my opinion this made it worse. They have simply shifted congestion from one point to another.

I fail to understand how the DCP South thinks this is a solution to a problem.
Boss, all that traffic management have been doing in Namma Bengaluru all these decades is move the congestion point from A to B. No one has ever looked at a solution - just look at Silk board flyover, Elevated flyover above Hosur road, tumkur road flyover, flyover near townhall - all of them just pushed the choke points a few kms here or there. No solution.
Old 9th September 2023, 19:18   #21138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sheer genius on the part of our Dearly Beloved Traffic Polizei to block an arterial road such as this one near Agara on a mid week morning with a very high density of commuters.
Beautiful Bangalore! Smart City!
Quote:
This is a terrible idea. The few times I had to go to Iblur-Sarjapur during the first half of the day, I had a nightmarish time trying to get to my destination. I just don't understand how can they simply block the main road when there is absolutely no reason to do so.

This is primarily done because of the metro work going on under Agara flyover. Given the fact that there is only one service road which is already choked because of traffic from 27th and 24th main roads, there is no way this additional traffic coming from Jakkasandra can merge into this.

Since the traffic from here merges into ORR, which has crawling traffic during peak hours, I feel the only option left was to redirect as much traffic to above Agara flyover.

For similar reasons even 27th main road exit towards Agara flyover is blocked during peak hours.

The single service road under the flyover simply cannot handle the high volume of traffic coming from different directions.

Only hope is the metro construction to finish on time!! Until then happy ranting
Old 10th September 2023, 18:26   #21139
BHPian

Traffic advisory in view of Bangalore Bandh on 11th September 2023

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20230910_182449.jpg
Old 11th September 2023, 00:33   #21140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
Since a lot of us carry camera cell phones, would it be a good idea to capture pictures/ video of gross traffic voilations and put them all on the net somewhere. I was hoping that some portal would come up with something like this. But may be we could use a thread on this forum dedicated for the same. What say?
There is already an application by Bangalore Traffic Police called Public Eye which is available on play store and will be able to lodge a complaint with a photo and legal action will be taken based on the compaint category.
There are categories like: Fancy Number plates, Wrong way, Riding without helmet, Pillion without helmet, No parking etc

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...city.publiceye
Old 11th September 2023, 09:26   #21141
BHPian

The patience these days for drivers on Bangalore roads are so thin, one incident yesterday at the famous/infamous Gorguntepalya junction. I was going towards Rajajinagar from Jalahalli cross and was among the first row of cars/2 wheelers waiting for the light to turn green. Yesterday I guess the lights were operated manually to clear out the traffic on RingRoad coming from Hebbal side and our red light was there for quite sometime.

There was this dude on my rear right in a jam packed Omni with a lot of kids and people who started honking, I let it go for first few times and then he started of a continuous session of honking irritating everyone on the road to a point that I had to put my windows down and show him by gesture there is a red please wait. So this macho dude started off his tirade and went to a point where he started of using singular tenses(Kannada is usually respectful when talking to strangers), and this got to my nerve since that was not the example he was to set to the kids sitting in the Omni and had to give him a dressing down of sorts(I had to use singular tone albeit stopped short of using expletives which that guy did) and eventually signal became green and I let him have the way to reach wherever he wanted in that hurry but unfortunately that guy was caught near a small jam near Yeshwanthpur junction and I eventually overtook him on the same junction and lost sight of him in the rear mirror.

I usually tend to ignore such incidents, only yesterday from some reason the incessant honking got to me and made me react(Got a nice shouting from my wife later).

But coming to the larger picture, I guess the issue with Gorguntepalya junction especially on weekends might be due to a lot of people not being able to switch quickly from a highway mode of driving to city mode making them frustrated and eventually leading to some situation of the other.
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 20:56   #21142
BHPian

I was coming back after picking up my mom from work, travelling through the infamous Graphite India-Jeevika hospital crossing just a while back. Traffic was as usual, hectic, usually takes around 30 mins to just go across the tracks after the left turn. What happens next, it is just unfathomable and truly a new low for the people of Bangalore and the motorists. Some biker has decided that it was cool for him to stick/throw a piece of chewing gum onto my Civic like it's no big deal. I just found out after I got home and parked the car. This is deeply saddening and disappointing. I still can't believe people are this horrible!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-pxl_20230912_151834136.jpg

Turns out I have to sit and scrub that thing off of my car of all other things.

Last edited by CzechItaliaMoto : 12th September 2023 at 20:57.
CzechItaliaMoto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 21:29   #21143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Koramangala BDA / Maruti Showroom signal. Yes there is a bit of a delay because the lights take time to change and being an arterial road there is always traffic around office timings. By this time ~0830 hrs onwards there usually is a traffic tail back all along the road down into Koramangala 3rd block. But what is really saddening is the way these so-called educated professional workers behave when behind the wheel. Not one of them has basic courtesy and/or patience to wait for the traffic lights. All of them want to be ‘first’ and all of them move into the oncoming lane in the wrong side of the divider so as to overtake all those who have been patiently waiting for the lights on the correct side of the divider. This is the behaviour in spite of the presence of a lady cop at the junction. And then when the lights turn red while the traffic is in mid-movement, all of these inveterate offenders who are already on the wrong side, have the absolute brass face to start honking and trying to squeeze out of the divider line by going past the end of the divider and then trying to barge into the left lane. There is no point telling them anything. Either they start getting all heated up and/ or aggressive OR they just shrug it off like water off a Duck’s back. I cannot but lament what we have become. Slaves to absolute apathy and disrespect for the rule of law.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_5054.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_5056.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_5055.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_5057.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 16:15   #21144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
This is primarily done because of the metro work going on under Agara flyover. Given the fact that there is only one service road which is already choked because of traffic from 27th and 24th main roads, there is no way this additional traffic coming from Jakkasandra can merge into this.

Since the traffic from here merges into ORR, which has crawling traffic during peak hours, I feel the only option left was to redirect as much traffic to above Agara flyover.

Only hope is the metro construction to finish on time!! Until then happy ranting
If you notice closely, the service road gets choked only if a bus stops in front of IOCL bunk. Without buses/lorries in the service lane, and with traffic from Koramangala onto Iblur and from 27th main onto Iblur, the movement of traffic is slow, but at least it moves.

Now, when they block traffic from Koramangala towards Iblur, the entire traffic shifts to 14th main HSR (towards HSR BDA complex). They're simply shifting congestion from one point to another. I feel bad for the businesses on that stretch.

I read an article on Deccan Herald about this issue, the owner of Carsmith Motors, Mr. Vishwas has shared that his business has been severely impacted. I can only imagine the other businesses have been also impacted.

The other terrible thing they have done is, they have blocked the service road on ORR from Silk Board under the flyover at Agara junction. So you can't even go around the lake via the service road.

Besides, in your own words, when they redirect traffic from Koramangala to above Agara flyover, it is still merging on ORR! So what problem are they trying to solve? Only God knows.

The same issue even at Koramangala Sony World Junction. They have blocked the right going from Ejipura to NGV, at the SWJ. It is a nightmare going all the way to Canara Bank signal and then waiting forever to take a U turn back towards NGV.

Somehow I have never seen Bangalore Traffic Police come up with correction solutions. They either block roads, ban U turns, or do something bizarre hoping that it would solve problems. But somehow they don't seem to realise they cause more inconvenience than they intend to solve.

I remember in the early 2000s, they made it mandatory to switch your headlights off Brigade road at night, and use only parking lights!

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...how/198241.cms

And I very clearly remember they went back to switching on headlights during the day! I remember my dad telling me that they have implemented this rule to minimise accidents during foggy days during winter. I mean, come on man. We're not in the Arctic circle.

I mean, BTP, I'm a loss for words!

Last edited by kiredd1005 : 14th September 2023 at 16:25.
kiredd1005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 08:53   #21145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I have never seen Bangalore Traffic Police come up with correction solutions. They either block roads, ban U turns, or do something bizarre hoping that it would solve problems. But somehow they don't seem to realise they cause more inconvenience than they intend to solve.
I'm not defending BTP, too many of the traffic cops I've encountered or seen on the road are not interested in doing anything except extract easy money from soft targets, while letting the blatant rule-breakers go.

But I really think Bangalore traffic is way beyond what the present traffic police force can manage. There are way too many people who can't drive properly/park properly. And I'm talking about several of us as well.

The system needs a complete overhaul, starting with huge pay raises for traffic police, that will attract more and better candidates to fill vacant posts. Shorter shift hours, well-equipped traffic stops where cops can rest and relax between shifts. Better cameras and equipment to capture traffic violations without having to jump into traffic.

Stringent licensing requirements, even if it means a backlog of issuing licenses. Nation-wide advertising and social media campaigns with regional celebrities of stature calling out bad road behavior (wrong-side driving, excessive honking, etc.) and shaming such instances widely. The overall message/spirit should be "Driving/riding is a privilege, not a right. If you abuse that privilege, you lose it."

Stiff penalties for road-work contractors if potholes develop within a year or two of the road being re-laid.

Then zero-tolerance (real zero-tolerance) for a year. That includes penalizing all of us who park on the roads blocking traffic, instead of planning for proper parking at home. Cracking down on 'valet' parking in so many of our favourite restaurants (which is nothing but a restaurant employee taking our cars and parking them on the road in front of someone else's house). Change the laws to allow for immediate vehicle seizure for serious violations like jumping a red-light, wrong-side driving, etc. Penalize even BMTC bus drivers and auto drivers who right now break rules knowing they can get away with anything because of the unions.

I really don't see any of this happening, or even becoming possible though. And most of us will not support such stringent measures, especially when it affects us personally, like not being able to park on the roads as and when we want. ("Just for 5 minutes" while my spouse buys something/waiting to pick up my kids (in that "5 minutes" we impede so many vehicles that need to slow down or swerve! And that has a cascading effect on traffic.))

Last edited by am1m : 15th September 2023 at 09:18.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 10:28   #21146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
I'm not defending BTP, too many of the traffic cops I've encountered or seen on the road are not interested in doing anything except extract easy money from soft targets
Agree. I am often surprized that how these police officials remain sane and be in the force for nearly 25-30 years. The job off course is a 'thankless' one. There is no motivating factor other than a regular salary which gets supplimented by bribes. The salary is not that great (for the time and effort put in). It is very natural that apathy sets in and the traffic police men just be there.

Quote:
The system needs a complete overhaul, starting with huge pay raises for traffic police, that will attract more and better candidates to fill vacant posts. Shorter shift hours, well-equipped traffic stops where cops can rest and relax between shifts.
AFAIK, Karnataka Police has the lowest payscale in South India. Around 5 years back there was a very strong rumour that Karnataka Police men (the HCs and PCs) were planning to take mass sick leave as a sign of protest. They cannot legally go on strike. This really caused jitters among the IPS folks. Orders were issued that no sick leaves should be granted without a medical certificate, and that it has to be given by a government hospital doctor. SPs personally came on the wireless network and adviced the constabulary not to go on sick leaves etc. BTP has two shifts, but generally it is not strictly made. There could be additional man power requirements so people have to work on both the shifts. Inspectors and below start their day at around 8:30AM every day, including Sunday. And when can they wind up for the day, depends upon lot many things. And for sure, it cannot be 6PM.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 13:41   #21147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
BTP has two shifts, but generally it is not strictly made. There could be additional man power requirements so people have to work on both the shifts. Inspectors and below start their day at around 8:30AM every day, including Sunday. And when can they wind up for the day, depends upon lot many things. And for sure, it cannot be 6PM.
Agree, and this is the situation on 'normal' days. Imagine when the VIPs and VVIPs visit; frankly I pity their working conditions.

Of course there are plenty of bad apples as in every basket in India.
Old 17th September 2023, 18:17   #21148
BHPian

I rarely check the Fastag dedicated SMS from the bank. Yesterday I drove to Mysore, taking NICE road from Hosur road to Mysore road exit. The deduction was Rs 145. Is this the correct rate? I vaguely remember the rate being Rs. 105.
Old 17th September 2023, 19:53   #21149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I rarely check the Fastag dedicated SMS from the bank. Yesterday I drove to Mysore, taking NICE road from Hosur road to Mysore road exit. The deduction was Rs 145. Is this the correct rate? I vaguely remember the rate being Rs. 105.
That's correct. It's Rs:145 after the last revision (July 2023).
Here are the complete details
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5576447 (Query: NICE Road - Bangalore)
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 23:14   #21150
UMe
BHPian

For a change, what a stress-free day for city commute.
Took less than an hour's time from ITPL to Bel circle

Meanwhile, don't know how buffaloes made way onto the manyata tech park flyover. Expect the unexpected on bangaluru roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks