Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2023, 09:32   #21061
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Although it's a rant thread, I am going to write something contraire-

Off late, I realized I am driving 40 km, three days a week in omni-crazy B'luru traffic. Still, coming out fairly happy after these drives. Yes, there are idiotic folks on all sort of vehicles Two wheeler, Auto, Yulu, Cars, SUVs, Wanna be Suvs, Sleek cars, Not so sleek cars and what not.

Few changes that have come along to make drive blissful -
1. Soothing music, instead of high paced, high decible, rocky numbers (avoid badshah & kakkar clan like plague)
2. Giving ways to aggressive drivers. With sufficient driving behind you, one could easily identify certain folks who are in hurry, for genuine or habitual reasons. Always ensure they get what they want on roads.
3. Expect certain set of folks to misbehaves e.g. Autos, two wheelers, Tempo travelers, stay clear of them
4. Don't lose patience when unexpected set of folks end up misbehaving e.g. lux barge cutting you off or the lady on phone occupying & blocking fast lane. In time, they would end up get the taste of their own medicine.
5. Closely observe regular traffic pattern to find fast moving lanes in typical Block points (e.g. KR Puram | Marathahalli), certain lanes always move relatively faster
6. Never forget - Ignoring is Bliss
Last but not least, Get Old (for extra patience & forbearance)

Last edited by Acharya : 3rd July 2023 at 09:37.
Acharya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 09:56   #21062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Closely observe regular traffic pattern to find fast moving lanes in typical Block points (e.g. KR Puram | Marathahalli), certain lanes always move relatively faster
Don't have a problem with the other points you mention, but this one - if I'm not mistaken you are advising frequent lane switches. I find this tendency, instead of sticking to one lane, abhorrent. I see this on ORR every single day - all sorts of drivers weaving through traffic seeking that elusive "fast moving lane". This disrupts the flow behind (in both lanes, more so in the target lane) and creates unnecessary braking situations for the drivers in them.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:22   #21063
BHPian

Well a fast lane isn't a fast lane, if you need to move away from it

Just to be clear- I am certainly not advising lane jumping, instead observe, identify & stick to the one that moves better.

Last edited by Acharya : 3rd July 2023 at 10:26.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:25   #21064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
...I see this on ORR every single day - all sorts of drivers weaving through traffic seeking that elusive "fast moving lane". This disrupts the flow behind (in both lanes, more so in the target lane) and creates unnecessary braking situations for the drivers in them.
ORR has many such spots now where this is happening. Especially the points were the road again becomes narrow after a brief spell of broad road where the barricades have been removed. People zip ahead in the broad section, only to to find themselves trying hard to nudge back in when the next barricade comes up. This has become a real pain. It was better when all the lanes were blocked.
Old 3rd July 2023, 10:53   #21065
Senior - BHPian

Contactless fines? Traffic cops back on Bengaluru roads
Looks like the manual/physical detection of MV petty cases would be starting again. The earlier practise was to detect petty cases during off-peak hours (after 11PM till around 3PM).
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:54   #21066
Senior - BHPian

Elevated Highway users, looks like there is a vehicle which has got damaged on top of the fly over. Vehicles have started piling up. Please check Google Maps if you plan to use the elevated highway.
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:18   #21067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
but this one - if I'm not mistaken you are advising frequent lane switches. I find this tendency, instead of sticking to one lane, abhorrent. I see this on ORR every single day - all sorts of drivers weaving through traffic seeking that elusive "fast moving lane".
While I completely agree with you that switching lanes incessantly is a vain attempt, what Acharya is talking about is valid as well - I believe they are not recommending blind lane-switches (which most do) instead observe the lanes that move faster and stick with them.

Let me share an example. If you are at KR Puram headed to Whitefield or carry-on in the ORR, you'll invariably cross the bottleneck in front of the KR Puram railway station.

The road, which is 3-4 lanes wide (no lane markings of course, who am I kidding) converges to a puny double lane width but the left side occupied by buses.

Most vehicles try to stick to the "fast lane", i.e. the right-most 'area' (since technically there is no lane) and end-up eating getting delayed at the bottle-neck. This is because, the bottleneck is made worse but vehicles taking a U-turn under the bridge to head towards the city on the OMR.

If one sticks to the left-side of the road, at the bottle-neck, this lane moves much faster as most vehicles exit straight ahead and most buses only halt there for a few seconds.

This kind of reconnaissance work is not something you can do while you're on a drive. I have noticed this countless times while on office cab, keep a mental note of it and whenever I'm driving I stick to that (until the layout is again changed scrapping my back to zero )

Last edited by krishnakumar : 3rd July 2023 at 18:19.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:01   #21068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Contactless fines? Traffic cops back on Bengaluru roads
Looks like the manual/physical detection of MV petty cases would be starting again. The earlier practise was to detect petty cases during off-peak hours (after 11PM till around 3PM).
May be due to the fact that the traffic police portal is not working

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot-20230703-10.58.53-pm.png
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:23   #21069
Senior - BHPian

Not a traffic rant, but something along the way.

Could you recognize which building is this?

Never knew it would have this fate. No wonder why this mall never flourished. Looks like it got into the encroachment tussle and the authorities are on the job, surprising though and a bigger shocker.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_8974.jpeg

This is the erstwhile Total Mall at Mahadevpura, infront of Akme, getting demolished.

A popular landmark down the drain, literally.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd July 2023 at 23:33.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 23:39   #21070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Attachment 2471265
Just a problem with some link. If you go to Karnataka One home page you can navigate directly to that page. Just checked.
Old 4th July 2023, 00:24   #21071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Looks like it got into the encroachment tussle and the authorities are on the job
I thought a hospital is coming up there hence the demolishment? the one thats stuck in a tussle is the Mall opposite to this ( adjacent to the portico hotel) and hence was never completed. Was supposed to be bigger than Phoenix Market city.
Old 4th July 2023, 17:49   #21072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I thought a hospital is coming up there hence the demolishment? the one thats stuck in a tussle is the Mall opposite to this ( adjacent to the portico hotel) and hence was never completed. Was supposed to be bigger than Phoenix Market city.
Yes that is right. A hospital is going to come up at this spot. Doesn’t seem to be an encroachment issue.

Also, wasn’t the mall names as Soul Space Arena? Or was Total mall the name before that?

In any case, this mall has been closed since a long time now if I’m not wrong.
Old 13th July 2023, 07:51   #21073
BHPian

One +ve update : STTR from Nandi Upachar Devanhalli to Hoskote is finished (till 7-8 km before hoskote) . Could be a good option for all the whitefield guys who want to go to Nandi Hill and Hyderabad by avoiding Budigere, Devanhalli etc. The old road is to be taken for 7-8 km before this new road starts.
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 08:31   #21074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Also, wasn’t the mall names as Soul Space Arena? Or was Total mall the name before that?
It used to be a Total Mall when I came to Bangalore (circa 2011). Within a couple of years it changed hands and became Soul Space Arena.

Soul Space has another mall at Bellandur ("Soul Space Spirit"), which is now rebranded as a Reliance Centro.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 20:09   #21075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Attachment 2471265
The same portal would work on your mobile. There seems to be some issue using it on a desktop browser.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks