Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 12:12   #20956
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If you miss the right on lalbagh road, the next option would be to go to lalbagh main gate-right turn at the island- Minerva circle and take right to proceed to JC road.
Well, I missed the slip road beside the Richmond road flyover (old habits of taking the up ramp towards KH Road/Double road never die!), so ended up going via Minerva circle. Somehow, never realised all these years that this building is bang opposite Ravindra Kalakshetra
Since there are some commercial establishments in the front, it's actually quite easy to miss.

Thanks again @sandsun.
Old 14th June 2023, 10:43   #20957
Distinguished - BHPian

Slowly getting used to Bangalore traffic again after more than a few months away. Traffic seems normal (by Bangalore standards!) but man the roads!

Seriously, we don't complain enough! Or don't know how/where to complain. There's not a single road I've been on so far that doesn't have a pothole, or some road digging going on. Really sad state of affairs. Seen much better roads in districts outside the state that certainly don't contribute even a fraction of the tax/revenue that Bangalore does! We're being ripped off badly by every government/BBMP.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:59   #20958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Slowly getting used to Bangalore traffic again after more than a few months away. Traffic seems normal (by Bangalore standards!) but man the roads!

Seriously, we don't complain enough! Or don't know how/where to complain. There's not a single road I've been on so far that doesn't have a pothole, or some road digging going on. Really sad state of affairs. Seen much better roads in districts outside the state that certainly don't contribute even a fraction of the tax/revenue that Bangalore does! We're being ripped off badly by every government/BBMP.
Roads that were freshly laid just before the election, are also back to their older state. Shows how shoddy a job it was, that the roads could not last even a month. That too with only moderate rains (lesser than normally what Bangalore sees at this time of the year).
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:39   #20959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Roads that were freshly laid just before the election, are also back to their older state. Shows how shoddy a job it was, that the roads could not last even a month. That too with only moderate rains (lesser than normally what Bangalore sees at this time of the year).
True. Roads that were re-laid about 3-4 months before the election were dug up probably a week after the election results. And these were roads that were perennially dug up for one reason or the other. All complaints and grievances fall on deaf ears with lies in the form of promises. Let alone the interior roads, bridges from from Marathalli to Silk Board (both ways) have probably the worst expansion joints / potholes I have seen. And I don't mean in Bangalore, India etc. I mean overall. It won't be long before we see some sort of a dangerous mishap because of them provided that the traffic actually moves on this stretch.
Roads seem to be the lowest of the low priority for the government as they are busy setting up rules and regulations for the promised freebies

Last edited by ShreyG : 14th June 2023 at 12:47.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:32   #20960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Roads that were freshly laid just before the election, are also back to their older state. Shows how shoddy a job it was
This is an understatement, road in front of my house.. the freshly laid top layer just peels off with a bus doing a 3 point turn! It is that bad No digging is needed, just few rains and vehicle movement will get the road back to moon surface.
Old 14th June 2023, 16:00   #20961
Senior - BHPian

The traffic was bearable since COVID until this month. Traffic is back to good old days or probably even worse. For BBMP/other planning authorities, seem business as usual, dig roads on Sunday night and let it stay for rest of the week or setup illogical barriers and create bottle necks. Good to see good old(Well I did not mean that Old!) Bangalore in full glory!
Old 14th June 2023, 16:28   #20962
BHPian

Metro work has started at ORR, after Manyata tech Park Flyover towards Hebbala junction, in front of Courtyard by Marriot Hebbal. One lane has been closed off on both directions for metro work causing bottleneck with at least 10 mins delay during peak hrs., towards Habbala.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 16:45   #20963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
Metro work has started at ORR, after Manyata tech Park Flyover towards Hebbala junction, in front of Courtyard by Marriot Hebbal. One lane has been closed off on both directions for metro work causing bottleneck with at least 10 mins delay during peak hrs., towards Habbala.
Thanks for this. I have few airport runs coming up this month and I will factor this into my journey time.

One query to BHPians: A week ago, I was on ORR traveling from Tin factory to Airport. At Hebbal junction, isn't there a green signal for turning right towards Airport road anymore?
I waited for quite some time at the red signal, but only green for straight came up (for going towards BEL circle side). Nothing came up for right turn. I was getting harassed by buses taking a U-turn at Hebbal (500 series buses). So, I reluctantly crawled ahead towards the pillar of the flyover and went around the pillar for a right turn and slowly went towards Airport (thankfully vehicles coming from BEL circle side were waiting/stationary to go towards Tin factory). Now, I'm not sure if I broke any traffic signal or jumped a red light.

Can anyone who has done route in the recent past confirm which is the correct way to make this turn? (I haven't been on this route for several years now and I vaguely remember seeing a signal for turning right at Hebbal several years ago)

Thanks in advance.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:01   #20964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
One query to BHPians: A week ago, I was on ORR traveling from Tin factory to Airport. At Hebbal junction, isn't there a green signal for turning right towards Airport road anymore?
Correct, as far as I know. No more right turn signal at the original location; you have to go forward and turn right after the pillar(s). But be careful, there is a signal to proceed there located on the opposite side (i.e. next to the lake footpath) which is partly hidden by trees etc.

Needless to say, our dear BTP is usually stationed around the corner waiting to pounce should you miss the green and proceed.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:24   #20965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveMiles View Post
I thought they were going to use the service road for Metro columns. There are service roads on both sides and the one next to the lake was wider too.
Old 14th June 2023, 17:25   #20966
BHPian

Quote:

Can anyone who has done route in the recent past confirm which is the correct way to make this turn? (I haven't been on this route for several years now and I vaguely remember seeing a signal for turning right at Hebbal several years ago)

Thanks in advance.
+1 to this. Thanks for asking.

I am not a regular on this route. Was completely bewildered at this right turn on my last airport run. Absolutely no indication on when to proceed. And you have to cut across traffic turning right from airport side to BEL, merge into traffic turning left from BEL to airport.

Pass one signal which never turns green for you and pass another hidden behind the pillar and trees.

May be, this is the manifestation of much famed "signal free corridor"
MSAneesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:25   #20967
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this. I have few airport runs coming up this month and I will factor this into my journey time.

Yes, you need to go ahead and take right after the pillar. I have seen some vehicles taking right sometime back before pillar. But, now it is not seen frequently. Always, better to take right after the pillar to avoid any fine, untoward incident from oncoming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I thought they were going to use the service road for Metro columns. There are service roads on both sides and the one next to the lake was wider too.
no, Pillar is being build right in the middle. Also, the service road on the left(from Nagawara to Hebbala), is not very good, has rough patches. Service road coming from Hebbala toward Nagawara is good. Congestion is mainly seen when going from Nagawara to Hebbala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Absolutely no indication on when to proceed. And you have to cut across traffic turning right from airport side to BEL, merge into traffic turning left from BEL to airport.
Pass one signal which never turns green for you and pass another hidden behind the pillar and trees.

May be, this is the manifestation of much famed "signal free corridor"
Yes, this causes, lot of irritation especially two wheelers going from Airport side to BEL, and Vehicles taking right to airport road, both aren't ready to yield. I have seen this first hand as the green light is ON for both, at same time.

Last edited by DetectiveMiles : 14th June 2023 at 17:32.
DetectiveMiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 18:07   #20968
Team-BHP Support

Try turning right from airport side towards BEL/Tumkur Rd under Hebbal flyover. Proper chaos nowadays!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 21:17   #20969

I had a close to terrible experience today on Old Madras road coming towards Ulsoor Lake. I usually take the right near the swimming pool towards MEG, but the road which was all fine in the morning had been dug up in the evening by the BESSB. The jam was all the way from the Bharat Petroleum Intersection going upto Gurudwara. Took me 1:45 Hrs to cover just a little over 10Km which would otherwise have been a little shy of 45 Mins.

Just last week this stretch was opened after the rapid road project, and now this work.

So it's better to avoid taking this route from OMR to Ulsoor, and probably take the one through SMVT or Kalpalli Crematorium.

Also recently parked my car on St. Marks/Vittal Malya Road and guess what, the Namma Bengaluru Smart Parking app asked me to pay 1.42Lakh Rupees
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20230611221214.png  

Last edited by vishal21 : 14th June 2023 at 21:39. Reason: Adding something new
vishal21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 10:22   #20970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal21 View Post

Also recently parked my car on St. Marks/Vittal Malya Road and guess what, the Namma Bengaluru Smart Parking app asked me to pay 1.42Lakh Rupees
You seem to have requested parking for 294 days, which comes to around Rs.20 per hour. Thats the standard rate right?
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks