Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2023, 10:32   #20971

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
You seem to have requested parking for 294 days, which comes to around Rs.20 per hour. Thats the standard rate right?
Hi GeneralJazz, that would not be the case. I have seen this on a lot of these Smart Parking Slots across MG Road and around. They have some kind of a software glitch or maybe the proximity sensor itself is faulty which is preventing it from resetting after it gets vacated. Even in this case if you look closer the start date is 21/08/22 which as you say is around 294 days behind. This is the case with quite a few sensors.
Probably cause could be that someone would have driven on them and they've gone faulty. No way to say, but the issue exists.
Old 15th June 2023, 10:46   #20972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Correct, as far as I know. No more right turn signal at the original location; you have to go forward and turn right after the pillar(s). But be careful, there is a signal to proceed there located on the opposite side (i.e. next to the lake footpath) which is partly hidden by trees etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post

And you have to cut across traffic turning right from airport side to BEL, merge into traffic turning left from BEL to airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Try turning right from airport side towards BEL/Tumkur Rd under Hebbal flyover. Proper chaos nowadays!
I do this turn often - from Airport side to BEL side. Since a couple of weeks was wondering why so many motorists are cutting across me to take right towards airport when my signal towards BEL is green! have been cursing them until now! Did not know the right turn signal before the pillar is no longer working for them!
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 17:45   #20973
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a underpass? Looks like a sewage culvert!

Waterlogged underpass slows down traffic on Panathur, Balagere roads

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...s-1228194.html
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 18:04   #20974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I do this turn often - from Airport side to BEL side. Since a couple of weeks was wondering why so many motorists are cutting across me to take right towards airport when my signal towards BEL is green! have been cursing them until now! Did not know the right turn signal before the pillar is no longer working for them!
This is a very very dangerous turn. Please be extremely watchful here as it is criss-cross traffic and you need a 360 degree vision!. As soon as the signal turns green to proceed towards BEL from KR puram side, about 200 people will start crossing the road with bag and baggage as if waiting for the green so that it is exciting. Can be boring otherwise, just walking across the road . Once crossing the first milestone, next one is more dangerous as all of us merge into one lane from 3 sides with our BTP waiting ahead ensuring everyone is safe!.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 07:29   #20975
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Behaviour of people, anger, jealousy, envy and downright bad nature.
Early morning 0645 driving my little red car towards the golf course. Two people who looked reasonably educated, on a bike suddenly drew up next to me at Sony World signal saying my car touched their handle bar at the Maharaja Signal in Koramangala.
This is patently untrue. Sadly I have only a forward looking dash cam. But I told them that all was recorded and they could basically buzz off.
Of course they immediately started their blustering in the local language. And they used some bad language at me too. And they had the gall to make a reference to the likely cost of my car. (Obviously they dont know it is ‘second hand’ and all.) No matter. Even though I am not fluent I gave it back. This linguistic chauvinism led attitude is truly a reflection of an increasingly parochial mindset here in Bangalore especially when it comes to road disputes.
Also today I took my Cooper being a Sunday with empty roads. There is so much jealousy and rage that is palpable from these people just because this is nit a normal commuter car in India. I cannot understand this mentality. After all, these things are bought with hard earned money!
Anyway when the light turned I trundled off and stopped at the next light which is the Eejipura signal. And these two guys came up and stood close but after a moment, seeing that I was indicating to turn away to the golf course they went to the signal line. (They must have thought I had a ‘Forces’ connection.) Here is a photo of the Dirty Duo!
Whatever it is, this type of behaviour reduces the joy of living, working and paying taxes in this city.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_2807.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 10:00   #20976
Distinguished - BHPian

From flyovers to tunnels now!

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng.../101075974.cms
Old 19th June 2023, 07:09   #20977
BHPian

This has been tweeted by the official handle of Yeshwantpura BTP last night at 11:15 PM, this does not make sense one bit.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20230619_070908_twitter.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20230619_070657.jpg
FURY_44 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 07:34   #20978
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Don't know the area that well, but in general, replacing one right turn with a left, right and then a U turn sounds like a bad idea especially in Bangalore. Probably will push the bottleneck to one of these points.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 07:36   #20979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
This has been tweeted by the official handle of Yeshwantpura BTP last night at 11:15 PM, this does not make sense one bit.

Attachment 2465691

Attachment 2465690
Is this even possible? How will that huge tsunami of traffic do these tight 90 degree left-right-left turns followed by a 180 degree u-turn at that crowded SRS junction?

Will be interesting to observe no doubt! Is this a BTP experiment or is the that closed section of the ORR undergoing repairs etc.?

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th June 2023 at 07:42.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 07:44   #20980
Senior - BHPian

Hasn't BTP yet learned the lesson that having U-turns in major arterial roads is recipe for disaster?

Or is this an example of the regression of BTP now that MA Saleem is gone?
Old 19th June 2023, 07:59   #20981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
^ Don't know the area that well, but in general, replacing one right turn with a left, right and then a U turn sounds like a bad idea especially in Bangalore. Probably will push the bottleneck to one of these points.
Had the same thought. Not sure how this would help ease the traffic. This may have the potential to create more chaos!
Old 19th June 2023, 09:35   #20982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Hasn't BTP yet learned the lesson that having U-turns in major arterial roads is recipe for disaster?

Or is this an example of the regression of BTP now that MA Saleem is gone?
Am not familiar with that part of Blore.

But in general, IF the road is wide enough, then signal-free UTurns are very much doable especially if the relevant traffic islands are thoughtfully designed. Delhi NCR area (incl Noida) has several successful examples of these. A fairly good (though not-perfect) example in Blore is on Sarjapur Rd at Fire Stn.

Last edited by vharihar : 19th June 2023 at 09:40.
Old 19th June 2023, 09:47   #20983
Senior - BHPian

Massive block on Elevated Highway towards City side. Seems to be due to RTA.
Old 19th June 2023, 10:14   #20984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
A fairly good (though not-perfect) example in Blore is on Sarjapur Rd at Fire Stn.
That U-turn's pileup extends sometimes till Hosa Road junction (exacerbated by another U-turn there, admittedly) eastwards and Akme Harmony turn-off westwards. That extra width only facilitates wrong-side driving at least till Motherhood hospital.

An extreme example the other way is on OA Road in front of Brand Factory.
Old 19th June 2023, 10:23   #20985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That U-turn's pileup extends sometimes till Hosa Road junction (exacerbated by another U-turn there, admittedly) eastwards and Akme Harmony turn-off westwards. That extra width only facilitates wrong-side driving at least till Motherhood hospital.
Yes, but it is still better than the erstwhile situation that used to exist before this UTurn was facilitated (with right turns at Harlur Rd & Total Mall, it'd have been a mess, especially with today's traffic)

I've lived in the area for a decade upto very recently, and am even now here for a few weeks , so I see it almost everyday.

Also, as I said, if Sarjapur Road had been even wider, the UTurn could have been even better designed with islanding, as in NCR area.

I have no idea how it is on Tumkur Rd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks