Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2022, 11:59   #20206
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I know the NGT is not a favorite on this forum, but the only hope lies with them. Only they have the overreaching powers to teach the nexus a proper lesson.

Issue a bunch of NBWs (with a demand for personal appearance in DEL, not BLR) to BDA / BBMP / KIADB / Lake Authority honchos and ex-honchos and throw in a few builder CEOs too. There is enough historical data / surveys / NGO PILs recording all that has gone wrong over many years of corruption and mismanagement. Ask them all for a ATR to be filed immediately on the many judgements on rajakaluves etc.

ORRCA's 'demands' should also include a self-assessment on what they have encroached on, plans and sanctions not withstanding. In a way, I am happy that the tech parks were badly affected. Nothing hurts like it does at home, and there is no way they can point to 'external' matters this time.

No one is a babe in the woods!
itwasntme is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:20   #20207
BHPian

For anyone who is still optimistic about BBMP/NGT or any other body doing anything to avoid all the rain-related havoc seen on the ORR last couple weeks, here's the dampener

BBMP officials sitting on an order passed 4 years ago to demolish an apartment (SJR Watermark) that has violated building and buffer zone norms, without doing anything.
Now, it's anyone's guess why they are sitting idle on SC order in clear contempt of court.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...e-1143138.html

Last edited by redCherry : 13th September 2022 at 12:33.
redCherry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:42   #20208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
An incident last week ended rather unexpectedly.
Hats off to you, Handled the situation so proficiently and made a friend out of foe (sorry if i may say so)

On the other hand we folks at Pune are not far behind. An incessant rain two days back got the pune infrastructure into its knees. Stuck in thick traffic, flooded road, low visibility and thus covered 15 odd Kms in 3.5 hours to reach home.
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 14:29   #20209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Hats off to you, Handled the situation so proficiently and made a friend out of foe (sorry if i may say so)

On the other hand we folks at Pune are not far behind. An incessant rain two days back got the pune infrastructure into its knees. Stuck in thick traffic, flooded road, low visibility and thus covered 15 odd Kms in 3.5 hours to reach home.
15 odd kms in 3.5 hrs is slightly above average for non-rain, non-flooding bangalore traffic
gtonsing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:15   #20210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Hats off to you, Handled the situation so proficiently and made a friend
Takes two to tango, and doesn't always end well. Wouldn't engage with an angry commuter unless I absolutely have to (cornered so no choice in this instance).

Was fortunate it was a decent chap just needing a little vent, not a miscreant looking for trouble.

Quote:
...Stuck in thick traffic, flooded road, low visibility and thus covered 15 odd Kms in 3.5 hours to reach home.
Those are rookie numbers. Call us when you can park on the active carriageway, take a nap and wake up hours later not because traffic moved but you had to pee.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:23   #20211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
For anyone who is still optimistic about BBMP/NGT or any other body doing anything to avoid all the rain-related havoc seen on the ORR last couple weeks, here's the dampener

BBMP officials sitting on an order passed 4 years ago to demolish an apartment (SJR Watermark) that has violated building and buffer zone norms, without doing anything.
Now, it's anyone's guess why they are sitting idle on SC order in clear contempt of court.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...e-1143138.html
Quoting
"Asked about the issue, BBMP Chief Commissioner Tushar Girinath said: "The chief minister has given clear instructions to remove unauthorised structures on the SWD unless there is a stay "

So they are needling them to get a stay They have done this to keep BBMP elections suspended for 2 years
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 17:42   #20212
BHPian

From today's Deccan Herald - https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...u-1144572.html

According to BBMP, the list of encroachers include -
Bagmane Tech Park, Purva Paradise, Rainbow Drive, Wipro, RMZ Ecospace, Gopalan Enterprises, Divya School, Columbia Asia Hospital, New Horizon College, Adarsh Developers, Epsilon, DivyaSree 77, Prestige Group, Salarpuria Group and Nalapad

Will the BBMP dare take action again these people, that's a Million $ question, answer to which we all know
So, we can expect all these flooding on ORR to repeat every time there's a moderate or heavy rain
redCherry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 18:21   #20213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
On 30th August 2022, Dr. Govinda Nandakumar was on his way to the hospital when he was stuck in a jam on the Sarjapura-Marathahalli road. Although the distance could normally be covered in 10 minutes, the ETA on that day was being shown as 40 minutes. Since a patient was waiting to be operated, the doctor got off the car and ran for 3km, reached the hospital and did the needful.

Attachment 2357894
(Kannadaprabha, 13/09/2022)

The doctor’s car arrived a good two hours later!

Me: What's the big deal ? I have walked similar distances or more to be there on time for work so that critical things at work don't get delayed.

Also Me: That's not the same criticality as a "human being" waiting to be operated.

Also Me Again: Then I deserve more credit that even though it was not that important, I chose to be on time at work by making that extra effort. Yet I didn't make it to the newspapers.

Last edited by airguitar : 13th September 2022 at 18:26.
airguitar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 18:22   #20214
Senior - BHPian

The list of encroachers is not a cause of concern, but their connection goes to states from where the political parties get funding, so can they clear the encroachments? The day is not far when the plots in Bangalore will become an investment for graveyards.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th September 2022 at 18:25.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 20:55   #20215
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Here is a little food for the brain, in reference to our various discussions on the recent frightful flooding in Bangalore. Looks like we are not alone in our misery.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...hicago/1245574
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 21:02   #20216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Me: What's the big deal ? I have walked similar distances or more to be there on time for work so that critical things at work don't get delayed.
The odd thing there is - why would he want to record the entire run and share it ?

Though it's nice to see he seems to be fit enough to run that distance.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 23:22   #20217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Me: What's the big deal ? .
I simply don’t understand why the media has made this such a big deal, with the union health minister tweeting about this too. My observations (being a doctor):

1. This was an elective surgery (a lap cholecystectomy). Pretty sure there is a team managing the patient. Elective surgeries get rescheduled ALL the time!

2. If he really was in a hurry, why record it?

3. The media seems to have missed the sky for the trees here. The focus should be on our city’s pathetic road and traffic management.

4. Super-humanising doctors never works out for good in the long run. Doctors are people too! My next patient will now expect me to run 3 or more kms even when not in an emergency to cater to their needs.

Rant ends here
vandemanw is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 07:15   #20218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The odd thing there is - why would he want to record the entire run and share it ?

Though it's nice to see he seems to be fit enough to run that distance.
My guess is that he recorded it for fun as it was probably the first time he did something like this. May have shared it around and then was picked up by the media as a nice representation of the chaos of the day.

I personally know several people who walked various distances to get to office that day, but bunch of 'techies' walking to office to write code and do whatever they do on the laptops- For the media-nah, nothing interesting there.

This incident had a nice human interest element to it.A doctor who went the extra mile to ensure his patient was not impacted. Which is why it went viral and we are still discussing it.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 07:44   #20219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Those are rookie numbers. Call us when you can park on the active carriageway, take a nap and wake up hours later not because traffic moved but you had to pee.
Solution = Peeschute

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th September 2022 at 07:49.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 08:40   #20220
BHPian

I live in one of these properties in Bangalore that the BBMP claims has encroached on a storm water drain. In fact, almost all the buildings that line this storm water drain from the Sheelavantakere lake to Varthur Kodi have been told that that they have encroached on the storm water drain.

Encroachment doesn't mean that we have built ON the drain. It means that our boundary wall is closer by a few feet to the drain than it should be. Further, the BBMP is claiming that the storm water drain should actually be wider than it actually is.

Given that we had our residential society flooded in the recent rains, I would want the BBMP to do whatever it should in order to reduce the risk of floods in the future. However, I do take issue with this one-sided blame game. Here are the reasons why:

1. If the storm-water drains were encroached and should have been wider, how did practically everyone along this drain get plan approvals from government bodies?

2. There are a couple of places where the drain goes under a road and a walking path. The concrete bridge over the drain was built as recently as 2-4 years back. Why is the opening for the water flow under these bridges less than half the width of the current storm water drain? BTW... this is one of the reasons why these drains overflowed near my house; the opening was too narrow to handle the flow and the water level just kept going up. If the government knew that these drains were supposed to be wider, shouldn't they have built a much larger opening?

3. There was some extensive work done at Varthur kodi where the storm water drain was connected to the Varthur lake. The drain was diverted a few years back to flow alongside the lake downstream to one of the outflow channels of the lake. Instances of flooding have gone up since then. My society is one of the older communities in this area (15+ years) and this is easily the scariest flood we saw.

The point is not to point the finger at the government. It is simply to point out that these issues are far more complex than greed from builders, homebuyers and IT companies - these are pretty much a slice of society. A purely political response i.e. blame everyone and the previous government, and bulldozing for show, does all of us a disservice. Acknowledge that the current state is not sustainable no matter whose fault it is. Work out a comprehensive plan to ensure rain water has means to evacuate even if the rains are higher than 300% of long-term average. And then engage people and agencies to implement the solution. Finally, update survey maps showing water bodies and drains, digitize them and display them on government websites. Make it easy for people to verify whether their builder is doing something dodgy.

In my community, we have told the BBMP that we will give back that land, but we need a little time because our water mains and electricity lines run close to that boundary. We already working on redirecting them. Some of my neighbours lose their garden, but they understand that this is essential to preventing future flooding.
kovilkalai is offline   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks