Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 10:45   #20176
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Yeah, lots of complaints about Bengaluru and reasons why we have such bad... everything!

I have the solution to everything - double the fuel prices and taxes on Bengaluru. Charge flooding surcharge, boating cess, development surcharge, drainage cess, rainfall cess...

/S

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2022 at 11:20. Reason: Let's not make this an insider vs outsider discussion
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:29   #20177

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Having three strong but effectively leaderless parties (bjp, cong, jd-s) has been the curse of Bangalore city. It has become very expensive to win elections and even more expensive to stay in power - this makes corruption very rampant and deeply entrenched. Rapid growth of Bangalore happened in the backdrop of this sorry political environment. Old areas of Bangalore that have not been touched by IT do not give the same vibes. In general, the city inside ORR and the city outside ORR look very different.
Route cause for the problem in simple words.

I stayed in Basavanagudi from 2010 to 2017 and then moved to AECS layout(Kundalahalli gate) for 5 years. Now back to Basavanagudi recently. It is a different Bengaluru all together.
s_kuppalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:29   #20178
BHPian

Crossed the EcoSpace river yesterday around 11 am, water was still at wheel level. Here's my dashcam footage.
Was in my Scorpio 4x4, had engaged 4H just in case as i did not want to engage the electricals with water all around.

gypsyFreak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:32   #20179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Its the politicians who are saying "if you have a problem move out" It's easy for them right!
In fact the industry has told they will not move out. A master plan is also being prepared to ensure that flooding will not recur. So All Iz Well...till next year

Quote:
They urged the government to expedite infrastructural improvements and ensure that their productivity is not affected, according to sources quoted by ToI. Further, the industry told the minister that they do not plan to move out of Bengaluru in the backdrop of the misery unleashed by the recent rains.
Link
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:35   #20180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I have a Passport appointment at Sai Arcade near Eco Space on Friday. Can someone let me know the current situation? I will be traveling from Indiranagar. Google shows the route via Marathahalli to Ecospace service road. Is there any issue if I come via Jakkasandra, Sarjapur road entrance, take the service road and enter left onto the passport office parking road?
At either end, you can probably park and take a bus? The service should be very frequent on ORR, and buses are probably second only to tractors in water wading capabilities . If buses are not able to make it, neither can you in a car.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 12:21   #20181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I have a Passport appointment at Sai Arcade near Eco Space on Friday. Can someone let me know the current situation? I will be traveling from Indiranagar. Google shows the route via Marathahalli to Ecospace service road. Is there any issue if I come via Jakkasandra, Sarjapur road entrance, take the service road and enter left onto the passport office parking road?
Best option is start early. Park car in Domlur Terminus. Take 335/333 to Marathahalli Bridge use foot over bridge and Get into 500d towards silk board, Get down at Intel and walk to Passport office. No water logging in this entire route. If you take car use doddanekkundi road(left after yemlur signal) and reach Isro gate, take U turn in ORR towards Silk board, Service lane and Wells Fargo and reach Passport office by right turn opposite to INTEL. Again no waterlogging but the detour to get into ORR would be long. Yemalur route seems to be fine as per Google Map but the Bellandur lake videos are scary and hence better to avoid it.
aadya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:54   #20182

That Sunday, as soon as our basement had started flooding, I had taken my car out and parked it in in an elevated area. But in the course of taking my car out, it had to wade through a foot or two of water that had collected near the bottom of the basement ramp. It was in a safe area from then on.

Today, I started my car for the first time since that Sunday. After I slotted the car into 1st gear the first time, the car seemed to struggle to move. It felt like it was trying to overcome some resistance on the surface, but there was nothing blocking the tyres. Eventually it did start moving and then later on everything seemed normal, but the initial resistance was a strange phenomenon. No funny sounds.

What could be the reason behind the car not moving initially ? Is there something that I should specifically check ? The nearby Hyundai service centre seems to like ripping me off even during regular service.
Old 9th September 2022, 14:51   #20183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnemo View Post
What could be the reason behind the car not moving initially ? Is there something that I should specifically check ? The nearby Hyundai service centre seems to like ripping me off even during regular service.
Maybe the brakes were binding due to rust formation? If you have waded through a foot or two of water, open the air filter housing and check if there is water accumulated. If the air filter is even a bit moist then replace it before you start your vehicle again.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:55   #20184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That Sunday, as soon as our basement had started flooding, I had taken my car out and parked it in in an elevated area. But in the course of taking my car out, it had to wade through a foot or two of water that had collected near the bottom of the basement ramp. It was in a safe area from then on.

Today, I started my car for the first time since that Sunday. After I slotted the car into 1st gear the first time, the car seemed to struggle to move. It felt like it was trying to overcome some resistance on the surface, but there was nothing blocking the tyres. Eventually it did start moving and then later on everything seemed normal, but the initial resistance was a strange phenomenon. No funny sounds.

Must be the handbrake or brake pads getting jammed due to water/moisture. Once you start driving, the heat from the brakes evaporates the water and it becomes normal. As a preventive, you can get the rear brakes cleaned.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 15:11   #20185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What could be the reason behind the car not moving initially ? Is there something that I should specifically check ?.
Sticky brake drums or calipers, or even easier explanation, moist rubber sticking onto a smooth surface (if you park on tiles or smoothened concrete, it happens often).

Drive it around a bit (carefully at first just be safe), and unless you feel something wrong with the brakes or the car's movement in general, don't worry. If the air filter is easily accessible, a DIY check plus a look at the engine bay for any tell-tale anomalies would give you peace of mind.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th September 2022 at 15:13.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 16:29   #20186
BHPian

Old Bangalore or CBD is on a Ridge or we can say at a higher altitude, surrounded by valleys. But the incline is gradual and not steep to notice. If they improve drainage, that should suffice to take care of flooding the roads and layouts.

Every year, there would be a meeting between Citizen representatives and govt. before monsoon. But this year there was no meeting, for the reason, you can take a wild guess.

Now, with 40% commission + 30% profit + up to 28% gst, you are left with only 2% to spend on infrastructure. The results are visible. Roads laid before monsoon are non existent. A road laid in the month of June 2022 in Jayanagar is wiped out. Time, more citizens take up the reins of maintenance and upkeep of the City.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 18:21   #20187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
A road laid in the month of June 2022 in Jayanagar is wiped out
Nothing can beat the Jakkasandra-Agara road in this regard. If one wants to be a crorepati quick, taking up a contract of this road is recommended. Repairs just need to last a few weeks at most, after which you'll be given another contract.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 10th September 2022 at 18:22.
Old 11th September 2022, 06:51   #20188
Distinguished - BHPian

So what's the condition on Bellandur / ORR / Ecospace area? Wondering if I should dare to head to office tomorrow?
Old 11th September 2022, 07:32   #20189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So what's the condition on Bellandur / ORR / Ecospace area? Wondering if I should dare to head to office tomorrow?
I went both ways on this road on Friday and there is almost zero water now. All is well and back to normal as of now. On Friday, if was a pleasant drive as there was hardly any traffic also. However, Monday May present a different picture with the whole city back in action.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 12:34   #20190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I drove from Bellandur Central to Panathur road yesterday night(on 10th September night). It has dried up now and there is no water logging in front of ecospace.
Even the railway underpass at Panathur road was dry.
The roads are a bit damaged due to the water stagnation, especially the service road, but nothing challenging as compared to our usual Bangalore roads.

Last edited by the.dogfather : 11th September 2022 at 12:36.
the.dogfather is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed