Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 18:45   #20296
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Thanks, any idea if Yeshwantpur to Mekhri Circle via CV Raman Road is open?
Traffic from CNR Rao Underpass->Yeshwathpur is stopped and that lane is used for the Yeshwanthpur->Mekhri traffic.

traffic from Yeshwanthpur->CNR Rao underpass is open.
CNR Rao -> Sadashivnagar Police Station-> Mekhri is open.

In addition, the Circle Maramma also is undergoing white topping and the traffic from Circle Maramma->BHEL/CNR Rao is blocked.

This was on 29th Sept.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:04   #20297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
In the age of current inflation pressure the general public is surviving I don’t know how many can afford to cough up additional 3k + taxes for this service
For some people, inflation isnt in their dictionary. One dinner + drinks for even the couple would cost that much, or more. So what's the damage to the picket in taking a chopper to the airport? Travel cost - 3k. Bragging rights ? .. priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The normal Airport Taxi costs about 1800.
So frankly if the helicopter is going to cost around 5000/- its not bad!
Shankar, you missed the cost of the cab to the old airport . Even if one were to take the metro when it is ready, the metro ride wouldnt be easy - space, luggage restrictions, travel time ..

This service would help the head/senior honchos of corporates, me thinks. Not the common man.
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:43   #20298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This service would help the head/senior honchos of corporates, me thinks. Not the common man.
A couple of years ago, a similar service was launched by IIRC, thumby aviation.They had planned the pilot phase from E-City to BIAL with a similar price point.
Their plan was to send the luggage via road, while the passenger would fly into BIAL, not sure how the check-in logistics would have worked out.

That seems to have met a quite burial. But, if VIPs take up this mode, with a helipad in the vicinity of Raj Bhavan, this would spare some pain of VIP visits to normal folks.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 08:58   #20299
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
A was launched by IIRC, thumby aviation..
As an aside, Thumby Aviation has a connection to the Embassy Group - Lord K J G. OBE (Order of the Bangalore Empire)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd October 2022 at 09:02.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 10:27   #20300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
But, if VIPs take up this mode, with a helipad in the vicinity of Raj Bhavan, this would spare some pain of VIP visits to normal folks.
They could do it that way anyway - there would be a few helicopters at their disposal - they don't need to wait for a flying shuttle service.

Last edited by airguitar : 3rd October 2022 at 10:28.
Old 3rd October 2022, 23:33   #20301
BHPian

Rant 1 - why Palace Ground is still open for events? The line of cars wanting to enter from Bellary road caused a kilometre long (possibly more) traffic jam, causing a 20 to 30 minute delay. At about 10:30 PM. Happened on 1st October.

Rant 2 - why don't I get a super power to shoot down (only for righteous cases) idiots called car drivers? I was on the right most lane with indicators on to take a U Turn. And, these idiots coming from left lane kept pushing me and cutting into my lane. Or am I the only idiot? Possibly. One should be an idiot of the top order to try and have civic sense in India. Again, happened on 1st October.

The drive from Uttarahalli to Airport took 2 hour 40 minutes Rain, ill planned junctions, a disaster of a ring road from Goragunte Palya to Nagashettihalli cross and a U Turn at this spot, all adding to the misery. The return journey took about half hour less. Thankfully, I planned for dinner on the way before hitting traffic.

Seriously, namma ooru missed such a good opportunity to be planned well. Had metro lines been planned and built instead of ORRs, or along with ORRs, and to the airport, our city would have been heaven.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 09:48   #20302
BHPian

I am sure this is a regular rant but - What is wrong with the Attibele toll?. I just completed a round trip to Rameshwaram. Left at 6am in the morning and spent nearly 40 mins at the toll. Lines were atleast 2 kms long and upon reaching closer to the gates, I saw a lot of manual intervention by the operators.
For all the other tolls on the highway, I never had to stop, just slow down and get moving again. But at the Attibele toll, I had to be stationary for about 15 seconds before the gates opened up. Is it because they are making sure that the money is in their bank account before opening up the gates?
Even while coming back, there were about 10 cars in the line and still took about 10 mins to go through. We could clearly see the operators regularly getting up and simply leaving to be replaced by another one for almost every car.
This really rubs salts on the wounds of the already battered Bangalore commuters. The one somewhat decent piece of the road in the city is totally ruined by the ineffencies of the toll gates.
ShreyG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 10:36   #20303
Senior - BHPian

Ditto - What's with the Attibele toll? I am always convinced that there is a very deliberate attempt to do something, but what is that 'something' and what's in it for whom? But, something surely fishy with that toll.

Again, not a Bangalore traffic rant, but I wonder why the RTO guys still have those dviations/stones/ etc..they put during Covid times still in existence? Its such a pain at the border. Why can't they just get rid of that check post? Or atleast, keep those roads clear.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:01   #20304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG
What is wrong with the Attibele toll?. I just completed a round trip to Rameshwaram. Left at 6am in the morning and spent nearly 40 mins at the toll. Lines were atleast 2 kms long and upon reaching closer to the gates, I saw a lot of manual intervention by the operators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj
I am always convinced that there is a very deliberate attempt to do something, but what is that 'something' and what's in it for whom? But, something surely fishy with that toll.
On 1st October I started my drive to Kodaikanal. Started late, at around 11AM. Luckily I noticed the thick red lines near Attibele on Google Maps when I reached Chandapura. Google Maps predicted a +25 mins delay here. So took a detour via Anekal, TVS check post and then joined the high way at Hosur. Returned on 5th evening, and again did a check on the maps when I crossed the Krishnagiri Toll plaza. The thick red line was seen till the arch-gate which marks the Karnataka state border. Skipped the toll booth via Hosur Ring Road, TVS check post.

The most mis-managed toll booths which I have seen so far; 1) Attibele Toll booth 2) Elevated Highway toll booth. Both seems to be managed by the same company. My observation is that there are lots of freeloaders who cross these points who are waiting to pick a fight and dodge the toll. Now with FasTag etc incidents may have reduced, but there are still local freeloaders who try to use an invalid/black listed tag. The toll operators nor the local police seems to be interested in fixing these freeloaders for good. So the more the number of local freeloaders/toll lodgers in the queues, more the delay for the rest of the traffic as well. Their strategy seems to block the vehicle flow and start fighting hoping that the toll operators would relent and allow them a free pass. When coming from TN side the vehicles form up umpteen lines, and often two lines trying to merge into a single line just before the toll booth. This leads to chaos as well.

The road on Karnataka side on the TVS check post route is also in a big mess. Perhaps this too is done deliberately to 'encourage' drivers to go via Attibele Toll booth suffering the mismanaged toll booth and pay the toll as well.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:39   #20305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Google Maps predicted a +25 mins delay here.
Super decision. I saw an 8 minutes delay on Google maps which translated to some 40 minutes.
What kind of silly entitlement is it for freeloaders? I think the toll is Rs 35 for 4 wheelers. (used to be Rs 20 about a year back ). All that delay and chaos just to save Rs 35.
Thanks for the TVS check point tip. Will definitely it next time. It is totally hopeless at Attibele right now.
ShreyG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 16:46   #20306
BHPian

Quote:
So took a detour via Anekal, TVS check post and then joined the high way at Hosur. Returned on 5th evening, and again did a check on the maps when I crossed the Krishnagiri Toll plaza. The thick red line was seen till the arch-gate which marks the Karnataka state border. Skipped the toll booth via Hosur Ring Road, TVS check post.
Can you please show both these route in Google Maps? Will be very helpful during my next trip.
car_addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 17:20   #20307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
Can you please show both these route in Google Maps? Will be very helpful during my next trip.
Here you go

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20221006_171943_maps.jpg
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 18:03   #20308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
What is wrong with the Attibele toll?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Ditto - What's with the Attibele toll?
Quote:
On 1st October I started my drive to Kodaikanal. Started late, at around 11AM. Luckily I noticed the thick red lines near Attibele on Google Maps when I reached Chandapura.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Super decision. I saw an 8 minutes delay on Google maps which translated to some 40 minutes.

It is totally hopeless at Attibele right now.
I had the honor of getting stuck at Attibele on 1st October too. Could not leave early due to my infant daughter and then fate took control. It took me more than an hour to cross Attibele toll, a distance of mere 10 kms. However, the ordeal wasn't over. The long queues continued till Hosur. Once I had crossed all the dark maroon lines, I realised the cause of these jams after Attibele was the result of two brilliant ideas.
One - have traffic signals on a fully functional. multi lane, busy highway.
Two - switch them off

What ensued was chaos with long trucks and trailers leaving and joining the highway and cars and others trying to snake around them. It lasted till here: https://goo.gl/maps/AAJyjnZBgz7WRBcEA

So, a journey of about 60kms from my home till this point costed my 2 hours 30mins! It was crazy and a delay which hurt my plans for the day ahead pretty badly. Post this, it was a smooth drive.

While returning on 4th Oct about 6pm, surprisingly Attibele toll wasnt clogged. What was clogged was the Hosur road just after the E-city toll. (Below flyover)

Last edited by drive2eternity : 6th October 2022 at 18:25.
Old 6th October 2022, 19:35   #20309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most mis-managed toll booths which I have seen so far; 1) Attibele Toll booth 2) Elevated Highway toll booth.
Attibele is indeed the worst tollbooth among all the ones on the roads leading into Bangalore. But the top spot for most mismanaged toll booth in my opinion is reserved for Paliyekkara in Kerala.

Quote:

The road on Karnataka side on the TVS check post route is also in a big mess. Perhaps this too is done deliberately to 'encourage' drivers to go via Attibele Toll booth
As much as possible, I avoid Attibele toll booth by going via Sarjapur-Nallur-Hosur (or Berigai-Soolagiri). It might take a few minutes extra, but those are peaceful minutes.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 23:55   #20310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu
Here you go
Minor correction. The road taken by @sridhu is slightly longer. From TVS check post there is a pathetic road which goes all the way to Attibele circle and meet the highway under the fly over. That is enough to evade the Toll Plaza. There is no need to go via Anekal etc. I chose the Anekal town route (when going towards Krishnagiri on Oct 1st, 2022) mainly because I am very familiar with that route. And I also felt that the traffic jam at Attibele would not allow me to take a detour at Attibele circle. Please check the image attached along with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity
I had the honor of getting stuck at Attibele on 1st October too. Could not leave early due to my infant daughter and then fate took control. It took me more than an hour to cross Attibele toll, a distance of mere 10 kms.
Okay. I am generally a very 'lucky' (!?) person who manage to land up at roads with heavy traffic blocks, but on 1st Oct I escaped. There was a minor block at Hosur side, where I had to join the highway. But things were more under control there and could get out of the place within 10-12 minutes. There is a plan to have traffic signals at Chandapura circle as well. The equipment is in place, but not charged. If carefully planned there can be mega blocks in Chandapura circle as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
As much as possible, I avoid Attibele toll booth by going via Sarjapur-Nallur-Hosur (or Berigai-Soolagiri). It might take a few minutes extra, but those are peaceful minutes.
I generally watch for traffic at Thoppur Toll Plaza as well. If trouble starts from there, then I used to switch to Palacode-Rayacottai-Hosur route. It is a state highway which used to have okay roads and lesser traffic. But now TN Govt seems to be making a green field highway which goes all the way to Thally area where a new airport is coming up. So this route too have lots of deviations and half-baked roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kgiri_attibele.jpg  

sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks