Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 07:59   #5296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
I don't know who awarded manyata tech park " best it park in the country".
It's NDTV Profit. The process apparently involves a jury looking at documents submitted by the promoter (site plan, photos etc.) and then declaring a winner.

Nowhere do I see that the jury actually visits the projects in question (which they can't, given that there would be several hundred projects shortlisted across all categories).
Old 10th December 2013, 08:26   #5297
Distinguished - BHPian

Everyone who drives siddapura-borewell road-nallurahalli please be mentally prepared for a loooooong wait. Road digging in progress
Best part is its right at the bottle neck!
Old 10th December 2013, 14:28   #5298
BHPian

Today saw the funniest casualty of pothole.
On the ORR, at the junction where vehicles take U turn to get to marathalli/ITPl there was a motorcycle rider struggling to get his bike ahead.
I assumed his bike was dead and thus the pushing.

Lo behold, the front tyre of the bike was a perfect fit in a rather square shaped pothole. lol, and the vehicle would not climb out. In short, pothole was custom designed to fit a bike's wheel like a glove.

He eventually started to get out sideways and walls were not sharp and had a decent gradient.

Perfect example of, how govt apathy can make life miserable for some motorcyclists.
Old 10th December 2013, 15:58   #5299
BHPian

Are you talking about the pothole exactly where the median ends to facilitate the U turn? This is on ORR near ISRO right?
Old 10th December 2013, 16:56   #5300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Are you talking about the pothole exactly where the median ends to facilitate the U turn? This is on ORR near ISRO right?
Yes, I think so that's the place.
Old 11th December 2013, 13:18   #5301
BHPian

Heard about a small accident (rear-ending) between a honda city and a toyota etios on ORR near Intel resulting in slow moving traffic towards MArathalli around 10 AM. Anybody has the details ?
Old 11th December 2013, 13:26   #5302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Heard about a small accident (rear-ending) between a honda city and a toyota etios on ORR near Intel resulting in slow moving traffic towards MArathalli around 10 AM. Anybody has the details ?
I was passing the spot around that time.

Sequence of cars parked just after the Intel flyover:

Indica Cab > Honda City > Etios

Didn't see any rear damage on the City or the Etios. So don't know who banged whom ? Or was it a side sweep or something.

As usual the Cab drivers in white uniform were creating a scene. The three cars were parked on the extreme left shoulder and were not blocking traffic. The cabbies were creating some ruckus and had come onto the road, unknowingly. Add to that, curious passers by. All these created some unwanted jam.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 09:29   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Kundanahalli junction today.

I just heard from a colleague that a child passed away in an accident near the junction. The case seems to be similar to the Hoodi accident a few days ago. If so, government's apathy towards the road conditions has taken another innocent life.

We can expect protests around the area.

With SAP Tech Ed also going on, I guess Whitefield area is going to be chaotic today.
Old 12th December 2013, 12:04   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Avoid Kundanahalli junction today.

I just heard from a colleague that a child passed away in an accident near the junction. The case seems to be similar to the Hoodi accident a few days ago. If so, government's apathy towards the road conditions has taken another innocent life.

We can expect protests around the area.

With SAP Tech Ed also going on, I guess Whitefield area is going to be chaotic today.
Whoa !! I passed Kundanahalli (Marathalli - Siddapura stretch) at around 10:15 - 10:30 AM. Traffic was at its usual. Didn't find anything unusual.

In other news I invited the wrath of a Activa guy with his friend as pillion.

I was doing a good 50kmph between HSR Layout > Agara.
On the Agara flyover, this Activa guy was bang in the center lane riding at "his" 50kmph, which was obviously slow for me (compare speeds of car vs scooter).
4 wheelers were zooming past me on the right most speed lane, so I couldn't overtake him from the right. I didn't want to go to the left lane, because bikers surprise me in the left lane. So I honked and he gave a rat's ass to me. I did short honk twice or thrice, after which I had to slow down, owing to his speed. Changed to 3rd gear and gave a long horn, to which this guy and his friend look back at me and move to the left lane. In the process both of them showed me hand gestures, telling me to fly. I choose to ignore and moved ahead.

Then comes the fun. I come down the Agara flyover and as usual get stuck in the jam leading to Sarjapur junction. I was slowly inching forward in 2nd gear. This Activa fellow sneaks in between vehicles and comes parallel to me and revs up his activa and brakes and shows me some hand gestures. I could see these things from the corner of my eye. But I didn't want any argument, so I looked straight to the road. After some 10 seconds of trying to grab my attention, he gets frustrated. So he zooms ahead and cuts in front of me and starts his revving and braking routine. I ignore. Then he starts showing me the "fly over me" hand gesture. I smiled and he showed his in-appropriate finger. I continued my smiling and he along with his pillion zoomed and sneaked into the gaps and went away.

The guys were IT guys. I forgot to note the name of the company from their bagpacks.
I guess they mis-understood me as an aggressive and rash driver, who bullied them out of their lane.

All I wanted to tell them, if they had stopped and chatted with me, was that, "What if it was a Truck or a Bus, or a Cabbie" ? Would they have stopped or braked to save him in the middle lane ? Or was there a risk of them being run over or rear-ended by a heavy vehicle or a faster vehicle with an actual rash driver ? They should have thanked me for asking (by honking) to move to the left (slow) lane.

When I ride my 2 wheeler, I make sure to stick to the left lane. Why compete was faster vehicles in the other 2 lanes ? Why block their speeds ? Its called "Respect fellow motorists". I wish those two IT blokes knew a little bit of it.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 12:13   #5305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Well, who can better feel the pain, than me.

HSR Layout - BTM 2nd Stage Lake Road - 1.5 Hrs - Priceless
I just hope that you did not time this correctly. If you are sure about this, seriously you need to think of alternatives. This is beyond me. Is this really happening on a continuous basis? You are talking about 2 or 3 kms here..I am speechless.
Old 12th December 2013, 12:23   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I just hope that you did not time this correctly. If you are sure about this, seriously you need to think of alternatives. This is beyond me. Is this really happening on a continuous basis? You are talking about 2 or 3 kms here..I am speechless.
Definitely north of 45 - 50 mins on a regular basis.
Goes upto 80 - 90 mins too. Not regularly, but twice or thrice a month.
The jam starts from HSR Layout flyover.
I am talking about time starting from 5:45 pm onwards.

And yes, from HSR Layout Flyover to my house on BTM Lake Road (near CCD), its about 5 kms.

I can never forget that one evening in my life, around March this year, when it took me more than 1.5 hrs to just cross silk board. And my bladder was bursting and I was going dizzy. I called up wifey and other friends and relatives and was taking to them for 1 hr continuously to keep myself distracted from the bladder burst. From that day onwards, I have promised myself never ever to drink a drop of water 30 minutes before leaving office at Whitefield.
This would sound funny, but when someone is stuck in a long jam like this, and there is no jungle area nearby to stop and pee, its unbearably painful.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 14:35   #5307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can never forget that one evening in my life, around March this year, when it took me more than 1.5 hrs to just cross silk board. And my bladder was bursting and I was going dizzy.
Phew. I suppose now adult diapers are going to be one of the things I absolutely need to keep in my car.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:59   #5308

^ha ha.. no not to be kept in the car but in one's undies. Guess driving in bangalore traffic has become like long range fighter aircraft missions wherein the crew is equipped with either an adult diapers or some form of inflight relieving facility. Believe you me some of them are quite interesting, one might like to Google it. A step further, how about keeping some inflight ration as well.
Old 12th December 2013, 15:44   #5309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
The worst I've faced on this stretch is 45 minutes to cross the half km(?) from Silk Board signal to the left turn before Kuvempu Nagara bus stand that leads to Lake Road. I'm not accounting for the time it took to cross Silk Board junction itself.

I swore off this route that day. Now I refuse to be clubbed in the office cab with anyone from BTM or J.P. Nagar, and confirm before-hand if the cabbie has a particular love for ORR going to South Bangalore,in which case I avoid the said gentleman's cab and ask for another.
Old 12th December 2013, 16:30   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely north of 45 - 50 mins on a regular basis.
Goes upto 80 - 90 mins too. Not regularly, but twice or thrice a month.
The jam starts from HSR Layout flyover.
I am talking about time starting from 5:45 pm onwards.

And yes, from HSR Layout Flyover to my house on BTM Lake Road (near CCD), its about 5 kms.
I continue to be speechless. Just imagine, we struggle all the way through back home, and wife and kids ask: Why are you late? (and the reverse, boss asks). This is pure mental and physical agony, not to speak of car wear and tear. I never thought of bio-break issues. Seriously, this is a different dimension altogether.

I am inspired by you. Remembering someone's signature in Team BHP...'Someone is happier with less than what you have'. I will never complain about my commute again.

Why dont you go inside Koramangala and get out at Madiwala, and attack Adiga's from South? You can bypass this silk board altogether.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed