Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 11:47   #4546
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Well we need two things here, a height barrier and also a taller divider because these guys will otherwise cross the height barrier on the main road and then jump the divider onto the service lane
I fail to understand what they gain by deviating into the service lane and coming back to the ORR again, on what is a pretty broad and straight stretch of road from Agara to the Sarjapur road fork. There is no bus stop there either along the Army camp territory. Can't they just stay on the ORR and go straight normally? Crazy fellas . I've seen them doing it even when the ORR is clear.

The traffic otherwise is quite smooth-flowing there, but when this bus deviation thing starts by 8.30ish and traffic piles up, all following buses repeat that trick to avoid the main jam, further compounding the issue.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th June 2013 at 11:52.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:01   #4547
BHPian

There is a huge traffic jam on the flyover opposite RMZ EcoSpace towards Marathahalli. A 2 wheeler riding a black Pulsar went under the wheels of a truck carrying Concrete slabs. It was a horrific sight to see first thing in the morning
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:10   #4548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
A 2 wheeler riding a black Pulsar went under the wheels of a truck carrying Concrete slabs.
There is news about this incident in todays Hindu paper. As per the article incident happened around 07:30 AM or so, the bike rider was on way to Marathahalli when the truck hit the bike from behind and ran over the rider. The truck diver was drunk and as per the article his blood alcohol level was 10 times the permissible level (That too in early morning)
Old 2nd July 2013, 12:43   #4549
Senior - BHPian

Curious Case of Psycho Spitting Drivers:-

I was on my way to office today. I came down the Bellandur flyover to take a left into the service lane, so that I could take a U-Turn under the Intel flyover and reach Ecospace.

I was following 3 cars and 1 auto to take a left into the service lane.
2 cars were waiting in the service lane, to join back onto the main road.
Suddenly a Temp Traveller (TT) breaks their queue and barges into our queue which was entering the service lane. He accelerates and stops, accelerates and stops - like a wild bull ready to ravage everyone else. This goes on till I came in front. He accelerates and I braked hard. I indicated him to please either move or reverse so that I could cross. By default, he chose to move ahead.

Those who know this area, there are drains under construction, garbage, mud, etc etc near this intersection. So he moves ahead and stops seeing that he would fall into the drain. He inches and stops - boom boom revving the engine. Finally he realises that I had to move ahead in order for him to move. So the only option left for him was to reverse and let me go.

He starts shouting at me, making gestures. My windows were all rolled up since the area is dusty. Music was also on. So I least bothered or reacted to whatever he was shouting.

Finally he made his character call. He clears his throat and spits on my car windshield !!
For a second I was literally shocked and the next second, I felt like coming out and pushing him in his home - in the drains with gutter water flowing - that's where he belonged to.
I was fuming and I gripped the steering wheel hard and decided that I would go first no matter what comes or how much jam this guy creates. Controlled my anger and kept quite.
But, I still did't have a way to get out of the situation, unless he backs up his TT. I keep on smiling at him. He gets super enraged and backs up and in the process, almost knocks down a biker behind him.

I smoothly shift gear and move into the service lane and the cars behind me follow me. I look into the ORVM and see that he is still stuck at that position, while all the vehicles from main road move into the service lane.

All I couldn't understand as to why did he spit on my car !! Thankfully he didn't have any Gutkha stuff, just plain spit. Ewwww... I washed my windshield with wiper wash, but still feels gross at this attitude. Ohh and yes, he had employees in the TT while performing all his stunts. The employees were literally enjoying the crazy act of their driver.

P.S: I wish more smileys were permitted in this post. 2 smileys are too less for defining the act of the spitting driver.
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:39   #4550
Oxy
BHPian

^^.

The best thing you did there was to keep smiling at him.

Hope he was stuck there for a long time. So much for breaking the queue to save a few seconds.
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:51   #4551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
^^.
The best thing you did there was to keep smiling at him.
Seriously on any other given day, I would have probably got down from the car and got into an argument. But today I was feeling low (dropped my wife and newborn at home-town last week). So I was driving slowly, super sedately, looking around people and the jams. I was in no mood of any argument. Just kept smiling at him.
The only moment I felt worried, was while I was crossing him - What if he bangs my car intentionally and I fall into the drain. :-(

But, to be short, I was in a Forgiving mood today.

Even forgave two fellow employees who were bullying their way into the office elevators. I let them go and took the next elevator.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:16   #4552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The only moment I felt worried, was while I was crossing him - What if he bangs my car intentionally and I fall into the drain. :-(
I travel from JP Nagar to Whitefield everyday and i see these TT & cabbies driving as if their bu** is on fire.
But these guys only shout and scream. They do not have courage to bang. Even i faced such situations and never allowed them to win.
Best choice is to stay calm and let their BP increase .
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:38   #4553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Best choice is to stay calm and let their BP increase .
True, the best thing is to let their BP increase.

As soumyajit pointed - in a lot of instances, IT guys seem to be enjoying the way their cabbies drive. Little do they realise they could be victims of such driving.

Cab drivers cannot be blamed completely; i think the guys travelling in the cab are to be blamed too. They have the rights to tell the drivers to drive safe.

Last edited by deadguy25 : 3rd July 2013 at 16:39. Reason: updated
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:51   #4554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Cab drivers cannot be blamed completely; i think the guys travelling in the cab are to be blamed too. They have the rights to tell the drivers to drive safe.
Very true. But they choose to be silent as they want to reach destination faster.
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:00   #4555
Senior - BHPian

Diary circle flyover is completely choked towards the silk board side, now.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:13   #4556
Senior - BHPian

I wonder many times why are people in Bangalore in such a mad rush to go from one red light to another. All this jostling to get ahead, not allowing a vehicle to cross even though you cannot move forward, honking in a traffic jam, must be reflecting on the physical health of the drivers. After all no matter what you do, one cannot wish away the huge increase in traffic. So I follow a principle of starting early, avoiding rush hours and not being in a hurry. This works wonders on my nerves, blood pressure and my FE :-)
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 19:55   #4557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, the best thing is to let their BP increase.

As soumyajit pointed - in a lot of instances, IT guys seem to be enjoying the way their cabbies drive. Little do they realise they could be victims of such driving.

Yes, I don't know why the employees in the cabs do not speak up when their driver drives irrationally. Last night, I didn't take the BETL when going towards Silkboard and I see this cab driver driving a Sumo, full of employees and not giving a hoot to the signals. He would weave in and out of other traffic and finally inspite of driving like that, I finally caught up with him at Silkboard. Thought of giving a few words of advise to the driver or to the employee sitting next to him but thought better of it. God knows what could have happened. People kill these days on road. Road rage!
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:52   #4558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The employees were literally enjoying the crazy act of their driver.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, I don't know why the employees in the cabs do not speak up when their driver drives irrationally.
Now-a-days I stopped taking my office cab. Earlier when I used to, I always made a point of telling the driver nicely (with a smile) on their wrong doings. Like, jumping traffic signal / driving on high beam / unnecessarily honking / rash driving / seat belt. I used to get that anger look and drive properly for a short duration, but again they were back to their style.

Brought this issue with our Transport department, they did conduct some exercise and educate drivers on road manners. However once the drivers are out on road, they are back to their style of driving.

Also another problem with IT companies is, the drivers keep changing quite frequently and they will have to keep educating new drivers.
Atleast in my company, drivers are monitored closely and I have seen them being caught by our Transport team at many parts of Bangalore.

Last and the scary problem is, drivers sleeping while driving. Few of our cabs have met with accident due to this. Drivers do OT (over time duty) continuously for days, so that they can take leaves later. There were some measures taken around this, however not sure what the status now.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 3rd July 2013 at 20:57.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:54   #4559
BHPian

Team-BHPians who regularly drive from Marathalli to Silk Board via ORR, please beware that there are 2 huge potholes just before entering the Kadubisenahalli underpass. keep to the right side of the road and you can avoid them.
Also, Prestige Tech Park cabs have made a small gap in the divider before the underpass (from Marathalli towards Silk Board) and they take a U-turn here.Sadly I have seen some T-BHP sticker-ed cars too following the same. This U-turn is very accident prone. The correct way to take the U-turn here is , to get to the service lane, go above the underpass and take a U-turn to the opposite side service lane and later merge with main road.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:31   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Brought this issue with our Transport department, they did conduct some exercise and educate drivers on road manners. However once the drivers are out on road, they are back to their style of driving.
Also another problem with IT companies is, the drivers keep changing quite frequently and they will have to keep educating new drivers.
Atleast in my company, drivers are monitored closely and I have seen them being caught by our Transport team at many parts of Bangalore.
You nailed it. The biggest problem is there is no shortage of drivers, neither cabs. So even if one driver is caught and fired, he promptly joins another cab company. Apparently, there is no background checks done to see why he was fired or whatsoever. So it hardly matters if a cabbie breaks rules, misbehaves, etc. Getting a new job at a new cab company is easier than getting a job for us, IT employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Team-BHPians who regularly drive from Marathalli to Silk Board via ORR, please beware that there are 2 huge potholes just before entering the Kadubisenahalli underpass. keep to the right side of the road and you can avoid them.
IIRC, these potholes are there ever since the underpass was built. Seems, the depth has magnified with the rains. Very dangerous I must say. Plus, the leveling to the ramp of the underpass is uneven and irregular. So adding to your advice, even I request motorists to be careful here.

Quote:
Also, Prestige Tech Park cabs have made a small gap in the divider before the underpass (from Marathalli towards Silk Board) and they take a U-turn here.Sadly I have seen some T-BHP sticker-ed cars too following the same. This U-turn is very accident prone. The correct way to take the U-turn here is , to get to the service lane, go above the underpass and take a U-turn to the opposite side service lane and later merge with main road.
The problem lies with the temporary stone blocks placed to make up for the divider. This was a major jam spot during peak hours and queues extended upto 700mts atleast, on either sides. Unless the divider is made of concrete, someone or the other will remove the stone blocks and make gaps there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks