Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 20:49   #4501
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hi Petrol Rider, it is very kind on your part to consider these subzywalas as poor, the problem you have faced is regular issue, there are lot of hotels which have come up on the footpath, foot path itself is an extension to a neighbouring parking lot, then there are 356CW buses blocking the left lane when stationary and blocking the mid lane and right lane when on the move, bikers and autorickshaws also play their part by coming in opposite direction, 'n' number of complaints have been made to the authorities but intensity of the problem has only increased.
Old 10th June 2013, 22:11   #4502
BHPian

Anyone know the reason for vehicle pile up in the evenings near ecospace /Accenture office on ORR these days? Been noticing a build up for past 2 weeks.It reminds me of pre flyover days!
Old 10th June 2013, 23:22   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Anyone know the reason for vehicle pile up in the evenings near ecospace /Accenture office on ORR these days? Been noticing a build up for past 2 weeks.It reminds me of pre flyover days!
Yes. There was a road there back then. It isn't there now.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:29   #4504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
The service road from Ecospace to Intel is made one way due to some drainage construction. The drainage seems to be an afterthought, since the whole stretch was freshly laid a few months ago. So those who need to go towards Marthahalli from Ecospace need to cross the main road, turn into the middle lane between the bellandur flyovers and go towards Central to take U-turn. A big mess.
bejoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 22:24   #4505
BHPian

Today's traffic situation near Garuda mall:

Hope this helps the rain water drain better when they're done with all this!
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 10:54   #4506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The service road from Ecospace to Intel is made one way due to some drainage construction. The drainage seems to be an afterthought, since the whole stretch was freshly laid a few months ago. So those who need to go towards Marthahalli from Ecospace need to cross the main road, turn into the middle lane between the bellandur flyovers and go towards Central to take U-turn. A big mess.
Absolute mess there. I spent a cool 25mins from Passport Office U-Turn (near Intel) to enter Ecospace.
Next time, I'm gonna take that U-Turn near passport office (Intel flyover) and take the main road (middle one), instead of service road. There is an opening to enter Ecospace from the main road.
Old 14th June 2013, 11:31   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Absolute mess there. I spent a cool 25mins from Passport Office U-Turn (near Intel) to enter Ecospace.
Next time, I'm gonna take that U-Turn near passport office (Intel flyover) and take the main road (middle one), instead of service road. There is an opening to enter Ecospace from the main road.
I assume you mean the bus lane. How will you merge from the bus lane onto the main lane? Some days the divider blocks are not in the 'disturbed' state.
Old 14th June 2013, 11:37   #4508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
I assume you mean the bus lane. How will you merge from the bus lane onto the main lane? Some days the divider blocks are not in the 'disturbed' state.
You are correct, that Bus Lane doesn't have any opening because everyday I see a pile up there due to bus stop. Today, I saw some cars taking a U-Turn to the Bus lane. When I was entering Ecospace, I saw those vehicles merging from the bus lane. Then I saw an opening and was wondering if I could use that.

Its' kinda taking a chance. If its' closed on the day I use it, I'll have to go all the way till Bellandur flyover and come back again.
Old 14th June 2013, 12:39   #4509
BHPian

Today morning I saw a cool dude in HD bike driving on the footpath near Kundalahalli signal after Shriram Samrrudhi apartment. God has given him a lot of money but no brains !!!
Old 14th June 2013, 14:24   #4510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Today morning I saw a cool dude in HD bike driving on the footpath near Kundalahalli signal after Shriram Samrrudhi apartment. God has given him a lot of money but no brains !!!
He actually ran short of money to buy common sense. Atleast he should have bargained with HD as addon package
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 16:38   #4511
Oxy
BHPian

Ok this might be a noob question. Apologies in advance.

If I am at a signal, how do I determine if the left turn at the signal is a free left? Is it assumed to be a free left if there's no "No Free Left" signboard present?

Take for example the Kundalahalli Gate signal (when coming from CMR IT college). I am at the left lane (the signal is red for me) and I want to turn left towards Forum Value Mall. Should I be just taking the left turn whether the signal is red for me or not? I am asking this because I have experienced unnecessary honkings and flashings when I stay put, this is when the signal is red for me.

Another example. When you cross the Brand Factory at Marathahalli (coming from Kundalahalli), half a KM further down is an IOC petrol bunk on the left hand side. There's a signal right there, from where you can either go straight towards HAL, or take a left towards Logica (Yemlur). I am pretty sure when that signal goes green, it shows arrows for both taking left and heading straight. Here too, I experience people honking like mad when the signal is red. I have been told that I am blocking the free left when I am on the left lane waiting to turn left and the signal is red for me.
Old 14th June 2013, 18:25   #4512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Take for example the Kundalahalli Gate signal (when coming from CMR IT college). I am at the left lane (the signal is red for me) and I want to turn left towards Forum Value Mall. Should I be just taking the left turn whether the signal is red for me or not? I am asking this because I have experienced unnecessary honkings and flashings when I stay put, this is when the signal is red for me.
No. The signal does not have a free left here. If there's traffic flowing in that direction when your signal is RED, it cannot be a free left. In this case, when it is RED for you, it will be green for people going towards Varthur or people coming from Varthur. This means a free left will result in joining a incoming flow of traffic.

Quote:
Another example. When you cross the Brand Factory at Marathahalli (coming from Kundalahalli), half a KM further down is an IOC petrol bunk on the left hand side. There's a signal right there, from where you can either go straight towards HAL, or take a left towards Logica (Yemlur). I am pretty sure when that signal goes green, it shows arrows for both taking left and heading straight. Here too, I experience people honking like mad when the signal is red. I have been told that I am blocking the free left when I am on the left lane waiting to turn left and the signal is red for me.
Same as above. People coming from Domlur/Indiranagar have the signal to turn right into Yemlur. So, there cannot be a free left merging into flowing traffic.

So, next time someone honks like crazy, turn back, fold your hands and request him to activate his VTOL feature and jump over you
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 19:20   #4513
Senior - BHPian

^^ I face the same situation almost everyday at Cottonpet road signal, near Majestic in the morning. When coming from Upparpet police station/KG road and going towards cottonpet main road, most drivers especially bikers and autos assume that there is free left towards cottonpet main road even when there would be free flowing traffic coming from Khoday's circle. If I am waiting on the left lane to turn left, they honk the hell out of me, literally throwing arms, indicating to get out of way!
Of late, there has been even more confusion with the countdown timers installed at many signals, especially this particular one. The counter would turn to zero, but the signal would remain red for another 10-15 seconds, resulting in utter confusion. Most of the motorists start moving when the counter reaches zero, resulting in obstructing traffic from the other end .
Old 14th June 2013, 20:00   #4514
BHPian

Quote:
Ok this might be a noob question. Apologies in advance.

If I am at a signal, how do I determine if the left turn at the signal is a free left? Is it assumed to be a free left if there's no "No Free Left" signboard present?

I have seen in most signals there are sign posts for "No Free Left turn" (which is kind of weird sign where the letters are inside the crossed red line, and it looks like a "no left" sign from a distance) where it is prohibited. This is placed where a free left will cause a hindrance to the traffic. So in the absence of such a sign board, I would assume that free left is allowed. So in the Yemalur example, if there is no sign board prohibiting free left, i would assume one can 'yield' to the ongoing traffic towards Logica, from main road.
Old 15th June 2013, 11:15   #4515
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Clear violations at 0945-10 am this morning by some filthy MLA or MLC's driver. The vehicle is a Hyundai Santa Fe. Registration Number. KA 01 MH 6222. One can clearly see that it has the Karnataka Government Green and Yellow Sticker on the number plate.
I got my wife to photograph this today.

1. Cutting the pedestrian crossing at Vellara Junction when waiting for the traffic light to turn green.
2. Speaking on the mobile while driving. And he was driving fast!
3. Clearly breaking the speed limit near Baldwin Boys High School while overtaking me and several other vehicles. i caught up with him at the Hosur Road Cemetery turn off which leads to Wilson Garden. I am sure of this because I was going at the 60kmph limit and this bloke must have been at 80kmph!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image706540136.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image2175063006.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-image4234491668.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th June 2013 at 11:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks