Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:39   #4441
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Yesterday when I was on my way to pick up my wife on Hosapalya Main Road around 7 pm, I saw a white Swift, KL registered with number 7760. This guy was driving while talking on phone and holding the phone in one hand!

The sad part was when I saw the rear bumper which was sporting the Team BHP sticker! If the member/ follower is reading this, please do NOT repeat the same in future. Not only because you are an admirer of this forum but also for your own and others' safety! I hope it was an one off incident.

The reason why it can be dangerous especially on that road is due to the BIG potholes, open manhole, unfinished work by BWSSB and of course the cris - crossing bikers/ cyclists and people. The traffic during the evenings is usually bumper to bumper with even Volvos and other company buses plying on this route. Such negligence can cause serious consequences if you lose your balance due to any of the above reasons.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:06   #4442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
The barricades indeed should go. I mean, instead of slowing vehicles down, they could be the cause of accidents themselves! Imagine a bike ramming into one of those at even slow speeds. Insane

FOB - Foot Over Bridge I assume. Much needed. But who will do it?
Now imagine ( = reality in and around Bangalore) such barricades, dividers and speedhumps without any reflectors or basic signage!
A very unnerving experience when you come across an unfamiliar one during nights.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:43   #4443
BHPian

Two days back I was driving on Whitefield road behind a bus, with a biker with his daughter as his pillion driving on my left. Ahead a bus stop approached, and the bus moved to the left lane. I was still on the right, and waiting to pass.
Now the biker did a classic biker move, and tried to squeeze between the bus which was changing lanes, and me as I was trying to pass.
I gave a persistent honk and honked further as he didnt move and was determined to pass the bus before me. I slowed down, and let him pass. Then i let him pass and showed an action to scold him. Mind you, I didn't use words, my windows were closed, and I did not use any certain finger to show my displeasure. I scolded him only because he put his daughter's life at risk with this stunt.
So I go along, he comes faster than me, and holds the speed next to my car and try to get my attention. When I didnt look at him he goes faster than me, and blocks my lane and makes me stop.
I am determined to avoid conflict for a reason which is his fault totally, and for just a scolding action which i gave him. The worst part is, the daughter is also scolding me. She's hardly 10 years old. He parks the bike in front of my car, and gets down and comes towards my car. I see a space between the bike and the median, and I take it and drive off. As I drive off he hits my car twice with his helmet. I didn't stop. Call me cowardly, but after my previous incidents, I am not talking to anyone getting down from my car. Needless to say, it was irritating, and it was mindless. Of me to scold him, and of him to put his daughter's life at risk, and try to confront me. Hope I never see him ever again.
Old 7th May 2013, 09:42   #4444
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Alert: Massive traffic jam on Agara Flyover leading to Sarjapur !! Not sure what's wrong.
Luckily I am in my company bus today. What a relief sitting and relaxing while TBhping and trying to do some Spotting ;-)

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 7th May 2013 at 09:46.
Old 7th May 2013, 09:53   #4445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Traffic Alert: Massive traffic jam on Agara Flyover leading to Sarjapur !! Not sure what's wrong.
Luckily I am in my company bus today. What a relief sitting and relaxing while TBhping and trying to do some Spotting ;-)
Its the same story everyday at that point after 9-9.30 AM. The reason is those big company buses and even BMTC Volvos which use the service road until that Enfield service centre (is it Teknik or something?). There they all try to join the main ORR again, occupying the entire width while turning in and blocking the rest of the traffic. A height barrier is badly needed outside that 2-wheeler showroom where the service road begins after the flyover.

This Agara flyover jam is part of the reason I've started going to office at around 7.30 nowadays.
Old 7th May 2013, 10:01   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Its the same story everyday at that point after 9-9.30 AM. The reason is those big company buses and even BMTC Volvos which use the service road until that Enfield service centre (is it Teknik or something?). There they all try to join the main ORR again, occupying the entire width while turning in and blocking the rest of the traffic. A height barrier is badly needed outside that 2-wheeler showroom where the service road begins after the flyover.

This Agara flyover jam is part of the reason I've started going to office at around 7.30 nowadays.
Just crossed Sarjapur. The reason for jam was that the BMTC buses were picking people at the Sarjapur junction. 2-3 parallel lines of buses picking passengers with just one lane left to passby !!

And now I see massive jam leading from Sarjapur to Bellandur. No points for guessing. ORRCA cops must be facilitating crossing of pedestrians in front of Ecospace.

Yesterday I took the bus at the same time but roads were relatively free.

OTOH, even I have been starting@ 7:20 - 7:30 on the days I drive to office.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 7th May 2013 at 10:04.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 10:47   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just crossed Sarjapur. The reason for jam was that the BMTC buses were picking people at the Sarjapur junction. 2-3 parallel lines of buses picking passengers with just one lane left to passby !!
I think that was an after effect. The main reason was a loaded trailer that broke down just before the Bellandur flyover on the right most lane.
Old 7th May 2013, 11:54   #4448
Senior - BHPian

Problem from Agara to Sarjapur to Bellandur flyovers is that a small traffic situation slows down the traffic all through. The number of vehicles is big and that adds to it. Even vehicles slowing down on the speed bump before Bellandur can cause slow moving traffic.

BMTC and other buses should not be allowed on the main road and they should take the service roads or the center ones. They park before and after the flyover causing mess. I dont know why the service roads are not being completed properly.

They are not thinking of widening the service roads also (at most places there are no buildings yet). I guess that is limited to roads where poor or common people live (not owned by big developers with members from influential strata sit)
Old 8th May 2013, 16:04   #4449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
They are not thinking of widening the service roads also (at most places there are no buildings yet). I guess that is limited to roads where poor or common people live (not owned by big developers with members from influential strata sit)
And in some places in which they have widened the service roads, these roads are used as a parking lot for company cabs/TTs. Have a look at the stretch between Sarjapur signal and Balandur, the service road after IOC bunk is occupied by the the cabs/TTs. This should be avoided.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:18   #4450
BHPian

There is a traffic block almost daily morning on ITPL road . This happens just because two or more buses are parked just after ITPL, blocking the entire lane. All the vehicles then have to merge to the inner lane and this causes chaos. There is a road which turns left just after ITPL and majority of the cars and two wheelers take this road to avoid the signal at Big Bazaar junction. However, with these buses blocking most of the space, it really becomes a pain. I wonder why we don't see any police manning this area or whether they just turn a blind eye. Anyway, I don't think this will be resolved. The Red Volvos just have right of way.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:06   #4451
BHPian

The short cut from ORR to whitefield, through Alpine Eco, degrades into complete lawlessness in the mornings and evenings everyday. You can see cabbies breaking every law possible. I think it's better to use Kundhalahalli jn where traffic is more regulated.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:18   #4452
BHPian

Saw this guy driving very close to divider near Trinity cricle. What if someone hit his car and how will he get out?

There was enough space on his left.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_20130509_001.jpg  

Old 10th May 2013, 18:46   #4453
BHPian

Obviously, the cabbie went left and the TT turned right right. I was on the right lane, turning right.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_20130510_001.jpg  

aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 19:07   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Saw this guy driving very close to divider near Trinity cricle. What if someone hit his car and how will he get out?

There was enough space on his left.
That thing is called " I won't let bikers scrape my car" driving.

I do it at times to block bikers on one of my sides. I keep one side blocked and let them pass on the other side.
If I don't do that, I become Bermuda Triangle. Bikers from both sides overtake and merge in front of me and I becomes lost behind them.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 22:42   #4455
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, avoid ulsoor area right from trinity circle to I think swami vivekananda station due to a religious gathering in a temple in that area. Saw a post on FB by the Bangalore traffic police so wished to share the same.

Regarding keeping to the right, I do it at traffic signals. I go as close as possible to avoid bikers from getting inside the gap and trying to make way, in turn risking my ORVMs and the doors from getting scratched. While on the move, I do not let the heroes on two wheelers pass my car. The way those people cut into the lane makes me feel they might get under my car. Hence if I spot a racer in the making in my ORVM, I make sure he does not have any gap to pass me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks