Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 16:30   #19441
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

These crooks need to be taught a lesson. Stealing private property for no reason!
Is it your Video?

It's a Nexus among different sections of the people in power, which gives them freedom to penalize common man. Hard core get away and small fish are tortured.
Old 7th February 2022, 20:36   #19442
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru Traffic Police in a press release stated that spot fines can be collected by officers of the rank of ASI and above - News.

Quote:
In a press release, the traffic police reiterated that constables do not have the authority to collect fines on roads. Only officers with one star on their shoulder strap (assistant sub-inspectors) or wearing more stars are allowed to collect fines.
. . .

“We would like to let the public know that the officers of the ranks of ASI and above are only allowed to levy spot fines and head constables and police constables do not have this authority.”
Old 7th February 2022, 20:49   #19443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Crossed South End circle today and noticed that there are so many lines drawn at the crossing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
On a serious note, they refer to what is known as a 'zero tolerance junction'
At Lalbagh West gate junction, the police are tolerant enough to allow a paani puri and a juice cart to be stationed right on the zero tolerance lines
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 21:10   #19444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
At Lalbagh West gate junction, the police are tolerant enough to allow a paani puri and a juice cart to be stationed right on the zero tolerance lines
I think Zero tolerance is to indicate to road users to show some tolerance the countdown timer till it turns zero and then make a move from standstill .

Most of these signages including "Heavy vehicles Keep left" actually are pleads by the cops and yet we see Tata Aces and Ashok Leyland Dosts hogging the fast lane climbing a flyover .

I mean, after three implementations (painting competition) in the last 2 decades (that I know of), I haven't come across anything that has changed at these junctions.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 17:16   #19445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
------
Most of these signages including "Heavy vehicles Keep left" actually are pleads by the cops and yet we see Tata Aces and Ashok Leyland Dosts hogging the fast lane climbing a flyover .------.
I also do not know what is pulling these "heavy vehicles" to the high speed lane. It is observed everywhere there are more than one lane roads all over the city. Smaller vehicles like cars have to overtake from the left, which in itself is a risky business. Not just heavy but even two wheelers and three wheelers hog the right lane like they have their names on it. Maybe the BTP should make the left most lane the fast lane and then everyone will switch to that lane
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:25   #19446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I also do not know what is pulling these "heavy vehicles" to the high speed lane. It is observed everywhere there are more than one lane roads all over the city. Smaller vehicles like cars have to overtake from the left, which in itself is a risky business. Not just heavy but even two wheelers and three wheelers hog the right lane like they have their names on it. Maybe the BTP should make the left most lane the fast lane and then everyone will switch to that lane
What pulls these slow moving heavy vehicles to the fast lane? Because the slow lane is occupied for different purposes...
1. Vehicles parked on the left most lane.
2. BMTC bus stops and BMTC Bus Lanes.
3. Wherever vehicles are not parked, our supremely efficient BTP get their speed interceptors and an Athletic & fearless constable to catch and drag the vehicles who break speed limits
4. BBMP will have some digging work with barricades for one or the other thing

Heavy vehicles find it extremely difficult to switch lanes when lanes meant for them is used for different purposes and hence they hog the fast lane
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 07:42   #19447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Heavy vehicles find it extremely difficult to switch lanes
This is nonsense being bandied around by those who have probably never driven a HCV, and are just quoting word of mouth stuff from other similar people.

For over a decade now, our HCVs in India are equipped with power steering, and it is not at all difficult to steer.

As regards length of vehicle, well, they're trained for that, they ought to be able to handle it.

There is simply no excuse for slow moving vehicles to stick to the fast lane especially in a 6 or 6+ lanes road (3+3). Sticking to the middle lane I can understand, but not the fast lane.

The rest of the driving community cannot be held hostage for a shortcoming on truckers part in driving underpowered trucks for today's era.

It's a culture thing, as in: "I'll do whatever is easiest for me, never mind if its wrong per the rules and never mind if it inconveniences everyone else".

Heck, even slow moving 3-wheelers and tractors move in the fast lane, very common in Blore and seems to be spreading nationwide.

Unfortunately, our cops are not sensitized to deal with this sternly and often their sympathy lies with those truckers, which is very wrong.

Last edited by vharihar : 10th February 2022 at 07:43.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:23   #19448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
For over a decade now, our HCVs in India are equipped with power steering, and it is not at all difficult to steer.
This is interesting, I always thought all those older Ashok Leylands and other lorries and trucks I see on the road were really much older and wouldn't have power steering. But good to know that is not necessarily true.

And I'm guessing you've driven the newer HCVs for some time? Are those the newer Ashok Leyland models? Or something like Bharat-Benz? (Since you seem to know about these and are quite dismissive of other people quoting word-of-mouth.)

Last edited by am1m : 10th February 2022 at 09:26.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:37   #19449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
This is interesting, I always thought all those older Ashok Leylands and other lorries and trucks I see on the road were really much older and wouldn't have power steering. But good to know that is not necessarily true.

And I'm guessing you've driven the newer HCVs for some time? Are those the newer Ashok Leyland models? Or something like Bharat-Benz? (Since you seem to know about these and are quite dismissive of other people quoting word-of-mouth.)
For over a decade, all the Tata and Ashok Leyland lineup of trucks and buses have had power steering.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 09:46   #19450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For over a decade, all the Tata and Ashok Leyland lineup of trucks and buses have had power steering.
Yes, you mentioned that in the previous post itself. And you also mentioned it's not that difficult to steer them. So, since I've never been inside a heavy vehicle, was wondering if even if it is really easy to steer, wouldn't it still be a hassle to keep weaving in and out between lanes each time there is a vehicle occupying the left lane? All the time on the highways I keep seeing random vehicles stopping on the left lane for any and every reason. Popular restaurants like the ones on the Bangalore-Hassan route also see idiots parking on the highway just because the restaurant parking is full. So as a trucker I think I too would be inclined to move out of that left lane. Again, asking since you seem to have some experience driving heavy vehicles. (Do you, btw?)

I agree cops should be strict with HCVs occupying the fast lane. But they should probably start by being strict with those obstructing the left lane first, might solve the problem.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:10   #19451
BHPian

Quote:
This is nonsense being bandied around by those who have probably never driven a HCV, and are just quoting word of mouth stuff from other similar people...
I see this attitude in myself when I drive my car and want to "kill all the two-wheeler and 3-wheeler rascals" who somehow come in front of my car and slow down and "deliberately" make my driving hell! And guess what, when I am riding my scooter, I have similar thoughts about those "privileged..." who think they own the road !

This is really due to the inadequate roads, bad traffic sense deliberately drummed into all road users by our system and many other such related factors in our country. It is unfair to point to one group of drivers. I have seen BMTC drivers patiently struggling (reversing multiple times) to negotiate around cars parked on corners on narrow roads without so much as honking or even cursing!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 10:12   #19452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Yes, you mentioned that in the previous post itself. And you also mentioned it's not that difficult to steer them. So, since I've never been inside a heavy vehicle, was wondering if even if it is really easy to steer, wouldn't it still be a hassle to keep weaving in and out between lanes each time there is a vehicle occupying the left lane? All the time on the highways I keep seeing random vehicles stopping on the left lane for any and every reason. Popular restaurants like the ones on the Bangalore-Hassan route also see idiots parking on the highway just because the restaurant parking is full. So as a trucker I think I too would be inclined to move out of that left lane. Again, asking since you seem to have some experience driving heavy vehicles. (Do you, btw?)

I agree cops should be strict with HCVs occupying the fast lane. But they should probably start by being strict with those obstructing the left lane first, might solve the problem.
You seemed to be especially wondering about Tata/AL trucks, hence I clarified, at the risk of sounding repetitious.

Have you ever been on NICE Road? It is rated for driving at 80+ kmph easily and there are no stopped vehicles in the slow lane, and yet you'll see trucks crawling at 15-20 kmph in the fast lane going uphill or at 45 kmph going downhill. What justification does one have for that?

Ditto situation with NHAI highways, especially in southern India south of the Vindhyas. I'm telling you, it is a culture/training thing as I pointed out, and that culture/training needs to change, period.

Oh and yes, I have driven a heavy vehicle. And I can tell you, it is not as big a deal as is being made out by this "word-of-mouth-experts" to weave in and out.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 11:19   #19453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is nonsense being bandied around by those who have probably never driven a HCV, and are just quoting word of mouth stuff from other similar people.
I accept I've never driven an HCV. I only have a LCV + MCWG Driving License. That doesn't mean I'm just quoting some word of mouth stuff; I have written what I've observed on the roads in my city. I'm in no way telling "slow" heavy vehicles should be on the fast lane. But I've written why they do so.

Forget Trucks, just drive a relatively bigger SUV with all power steering and all the assists at not more than 30kmph from Jedi Mara Signal to Nayandalli on the Outer Ring road and try to keep to the left lane only.

Quote:
Driving a vehicle is not just about steering. As a matter of fact even vehicles without power steering is not that difficult to steer. This is not word of mouth...I drive vehicles without power steering even today!

Quote:
As regards length of vehicle, well, they're trained for that, they ought to be able to handle it.
They definitely know how to deal with the length of the vehicle and they do it wonderfully well especially inside the city.

Quote:
There is simply no excuse for slow moving vehicles to stick to the fast lane especially in a 6 or 6+ lanes road (3+3). Sticking to the middle lane I can understand, but not the fast lane.
Since we are talking about slow and heavy vehicles in the "city" 6lane roads are very less and more of 4lane (2+2). So there is no luxury of a Middle lane for these vehicles. In most of the places you'll find that you only have one lane in each direction for vehicle movement.

Quote:
The rest of the driving community cannot be held hostage for a shortcoming on truckers part in driving underpowered trucks for today's era.
Trust me, if these heavy vehicles start alternating between lanes every 10 metres, we'll be held hostage on the roads for a longer time. As it is BMTC buses switch lanes often without any choice but to stop at designated stops. If Other vehicles also start doing this, this thread will grow longer

Quote:
It's a culture thing, as in: "I'll do whatever is easiest for me, never mind if its wrong per the rules and never mind if it inconveniences everyone else".
completely agree. That's what the people who block the slow lanes do.

Quote:
Unfortunately, our cops are not sensitized to deal with this sternly and often their sympathy lies with those truckers, which is very wrong.
Don't even get me talking about these guys.

It is easy to target one set of drivers/vehicles, but as long as all of us start learning good driving habits, this won't change.

PS: Refrain from giving titles to other members even if you don't like their posts.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:29   #19454
BHPian

An interceptor is to be stationed between the Kanakapura & Bannerghatta road exits on NICE road for catching speeding vehicles.

Full article here.
Aiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:38   #19455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
An interceptor is to be stationed between the Kanakapura & Bannerghatta road exits on NICE road for catching speeding vehicles.

Full article here.
Heights of double standards. Earlier, during reports of crime and accidents or other support needed, traffic police would wash off hands saying that NICE road is a private road and does not come under their jurisdiction. Now that there is an opportunity to collect fines, they forgot that its private property and such enforcement is at the hands of Nandi.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks