Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 16:27   #19576
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Digital fix for Bengaluru potholes (Bangalore Mirror report)
In the 1980's (when Pune's bus service was bad), they somehow focused on beautifying bus shelters, never mind if all their buses looked like rabid dogs. The going joke then was: "Commuters know they have a long wait at any busstop, so might as well make that wait somewhat pleasant".

Similarly, BBMP revises app after app for filing civic complaints, but the civic issue itself is never resolved! Its like, "To give the users a pleasant experience when filing the complaint".

Its a different thing that that objective isn't met either. I've seen 2 revisions of the app/website in the past 5-6 years, and both revisions are bad. Now a 3rd one is coming up it seems
vharihar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 16:27   #19577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
2. BMTC and KSRTC buses stopping at the entrance of the bridge and blocking half the lanes and sometimes both the lanes
This, can never be stressed enough. Flyover/Bridge get-on/get-off ramps are NOT bus stops. Why can't buses just halt at designated stops!

Any bus that is going to climb KR puram bridge should have its previous stop at Kasturi Nagar, NOT at Tin Factory. Anyone wanting to go to KR Puram can take a bus to Kasturi Nagar and board there. Similarly buses coming in from KR Puram should halt directly at Kasturi Nagar/Benniganahalli, and not block all lanes going to extreme left at Tin Factory. Tin Factory halt should be used only by the ORR buses.
black_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 17:29   #19578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Digital fix for Bengaluru potholes (Bangalore Mirror report)
Sorry for sounding cynical. Im skeptical of how much this would work. In the below KSRTC accident case where 29 ppl were injured, I read in todays TOI that BBMP is passing on the blame to KRDCL (Karnataka Road Devt Corporation Ltd). KRDCL is blaming back BBMP saying KRDCL was responsible for State roads, BBMP for internal roads. Meanwhile BMRCL whose metro pillar the driver crashed into was temporarily filling the pothole and blaming the KSRTC driver that he was not careful. . What kind of world are we living in.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/91434376.cms
hrman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 18:40   #19579
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Sorry for sounding cynical. Im skeptical of how much this would work. In the below KSRTC accident case where 29 ppl were injured, I read in todays TOI that BBMP is passing on the blame to KRDCL (Karnataka Road Devt Corporation Ltd). KRDCL is blaming back BBMP saying KRDCL was responsible for State roads, BBMP for internal roads. Meanwhile BMRCL whose metro pillar the driver crashed into was temporarily filling the pothole and blaming the KSRTC driver that he was not careful. . What kind of world are we living in.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/91434376.cms
Various Sarkari offices and sarkari corporations that form the nuts and bolts of govt machinery, are the elements that form the "moebius ring of responsibility" - they have mastered the infinite loop/vicious circle/there-are-two-but-there-is-only-one art of passing the buck in a merry-go-round. It's inescapable.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:28   #19580
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic is back to 'normal' now. There's long traffic pile up on the Bellandur lake road - Yemalur road junction (in all 3 directions).
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:42   #19581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Traffic is back to 'normal' now. There's long traffic pile up on the Bellandur lake road - Yemalur road junction (in all 3 directions).
Even during the pandemic that road was prone to jams, for these reasons:

1. The public borewell off that road to access which water tankers have to take a complicated turn blocking traffic off in all directions.
2. The new construction activity in Yemalur village, raw material for which has been dumped on the (already narrow) road.
3. The JCB-happy agencies that dug up the Yemalur-Kempapura road multiple times.
4. The grant of OC, and subsequent occupancy of a major apartment project in Yemalur (~1000 apartments).
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 11:59   #19582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Add me to the list. After a long gap of many years my morning commute today took 1:20hr. Even though Google asked me to take Old airport road, I thought the ORR mess would lighten up after 9AM and was proven wrong. It just got worse. Major choke point I saw was the gap in the median between the carriage way and service road after Sarjapur road junction near the Toyota Showroom. People tried to take service road till there and wanted to switch to main carriageway whereas the ones on the other side wanted to exit to the service road towards Bellandur. This had created a huge mess.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 12:37   #19583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
People tried to take service road till there and wanted to switch to main carriageway whereas the ones on the other side wanted to exit to the service road towards Bellandur. This had created a huge mess.
This was causing long jams even when traffic was comparatively. On top of this, the bus lane/ service road on right side - below the flyover is blocked for metro work. This is causing pileup below the flyover near Bellandur main road, leading to jam all way till ORR.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 17:06   #19584
BHPian

Worked from home for a week to escape the madness that was ensuing due to the work on the Marathahalli flyover causing traffic jams.

Last Monday, on crossing the overpass on top of the ORR towards Whitefield - I see the road open up and the traffic suddenly vanished - the flyover was open and there was 0 traffic as far as I could see. For a brief moment, I got the feeling that Moses would have probably got when the red sea parted. That feeling didn't last long though...

As soon as I crested the flyover, I could see traffic extending as far as my eyes could see. Crossing the ~700m or so from the end of the flyover past the Kundalahalli gate signal and towards Whitefield where the carriageway narrows and you can "Social Dhaba" took 15 minutes or so. The traffic situation improved from thereon but on the other side, the line of cars extended more than 1.5km towards Varthur.

I thought this was an aberration so didn't really think about it much then. Next day - just to be on the safer side, I left earlier than usual and crossed over the Marathahalli flyover around 9.15 AM only to find myself in the same snarl. The only silver lining was that it was not as bad as it was for the folks who were driving from the Varthur side towards Marathahalli - that line of cars was never ending!

It has been the same for most of the days in the last week. Not sure what is causing this but this was not so bad before the bridge opening - it used to be manageable
curiousElf is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 20:28   #19585
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The new choke point on old Madras road is the Byappanahalli road junction since the flyover is open now. Lot of vehicles now take this to get to old Madras road from the Cox town and Lingarajapuram side. For traffic going straight from Indiranagar towards K R Puram, the moment one goes past the signal at 100 feet road junction, they will invariably get stuck at Byappanahalli junction. Next up, the signal at 80 feet road near Swami Vivekananda metro station has started allowing right turns so almost all lanes have vehicles waiting to turn right and block those going straight. Traffic is now worse than pre Covid times

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th May 2022 at 08:48. Reason: As requested
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 20:55   #19586
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore is back to its glorious past. Took 1hr 20mins for a commute from Bellandur to Marathahalli, a 6kms drive. Phew! I could have walked faster than that.

Rains, dividers dug up for metro and one lane completely gone, closed service roads between flyovers, utter disregard of lane disciplines (hardly any lanes now).. ORR is a nightmare for the next few months.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 21:16   #19587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
ORR is a nightmare for the next few months.
For the past few months I've been pretending as though ORR does not exist. I take alternative roads for most of my trips.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 23:38   #19588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Bangalore is back to its glorious past. -------.. ORR is a nightmare for the next few months.
Months? YEARS!!!!!
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 00:12   #19589
BHPian

Nagawara (Veeranapalya junction) was nightmare to cross. Entire left side is water logged till Karle gate. Took 30 minutes just to cross the road.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  64.0 KB
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2022, 01:08   #19590
Senior - BHPian

Massive traffic jam on airport road after the Yelahanka airforce station. Huge pile up of traffic due to water logging and cars getting stuck.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20220518003534_maps.jpg
arun1100 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks