Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 14:51   #20326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
KR Puram to Kadubeesanahalli is fully choked. Don't bother going to office today if you are driving in that direction.
Kadubeesanahalli under bridge is once again flooded. Came to know of this at around 0900Hrs. Missed to update it here .

Mean while Not again! Days after flood, Bengaluru braces for heavy rain again on October 12
Old 11th October 2022, 18:34   #20327
BHPian

My wife flew to Bangalore today morning to visit her office for some important meetings to be held this week, had a bad start of the day.

Took her 4:30hrs to travel from airport to electronic city, unfortunately the bus (8c i guess) goes thru KR puram-- Kadubeesanahalli which took most of the time to cross, after Eco space it was much better.

For reference Flight from Mumbai to Bangalore is hardly 2hrs.
Old 11th October 2022, 18:49   #20328
BHPian

I was quite pleasantly surprised at how quickly the Kadubeesanalli underpass waterlogging was cleared and the traffic became smooth. Of course there is no reason for an underpass to get water logged in barely 5 hrs of rain.

Around 12:30 when I checked google maps it said 1hr 10 mins to go from Mahadevpura to Prestige tech park. Was in 2 minds whether to take WFH, but when I checked again around 2:30 PM it said only 27 minutes and then it actually only took me 20 mins to reach work.

I guess the word spread fast this time and everyone who could, took WFH and hence traffic eased much faster.
Old 11th October 2022, 20:27   #20329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I guess the word spread fast this time and everyone who could, took WFH and hence traffic eased much faster.
Lowering expectations does seem to be helping
Old 11th October 2022, 20:59   #20330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I was quite pleasantly surprised at how quickly the Kadubeesanalli underpass waterlogging was cleared and the traffic became smooth.
Cleared quickly? Really? I traveled at 8 am and was stuck for good 30mins to cross the underpass (in bike).

And then again had to travel at 2pm and seeing the pile up from multiplex onwards, I decided to take service lane and go over the Panathur underpass. There was water logging still.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-276b3ca8e476475da0de55c8cdab0218.jpeg

In Bangalore, nothing gets smooth so easily.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 11th October 2022 at 21:01.
Old 11th October 2022, 21:47   #20331
BHPian

I was stuck in Hoodi-Graphite India road for nearly an hour today thanks to slow moving traffic in ring road

I am surprised to see that the Outer Ring Road areas getting flooded so easily even with relatively little rainfall or was it always like this? Found this interesting piece of statement in Deccan Herald:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20221011214504_chrome.jpg

Is this project got something to do with this situation? Does anyone know about this?
Old 12th October 2022, 00:14   #20332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post

Is this project got something to do with this situation? Does anyone know about this?
The water needs to go, somewhere.

If we make it increasingly difficult for rainwater to percolate underground, to traverse storm-water drains, to accumulate in natural basins, well, it'll still go somewhere. Widening drains without vacating the area(s) they drain into? It doesn't take a genius to know the consequences, but our municipal authorities don't seem to have many worthies with two grey cells to rub together, forget any with significant grey matter.

Any real 'solutions' will unfortunately involve causing human and economic hardship on a significant scale, which nobody with any authority would likely want to do in a democracy. They care about power & their pockets a lot more than they care for their constituents (I'd actually like to see a citation for the latter).

Until the tipping point between the cost of doing something vs. nothing is reached, expect status quo.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2022 at 00:19.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 04:56   #20333
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The water needs to go, somewhere.

If we make it increasingly difficult for rainwater to percolate underground, to traverse storm-water drains, to accumulate in natural basins, well, it'll still go somewhere. something vs. nothing is reached, expect status quo.
When they make all these concrete roads without proper provision for drainage, the water will simply flow along. There is nowhere for it to drain.

And when they allow rampant encroachment along what used to be low lying swampy areas and natural basins, what else can one expect?

This is evident along the inner ring road which has patches of relatively minor water logging on a recently concreted stretch because of dysfunctional drainage.

Then if we view the heavily encroached Agara lake side road. The road is banked towards the outer edge which abuts what used to be a large swamp. And all the water collects along the periphery which used to be the edge of a large swampy area. The leading edge of that swampy area which abuts the road, has now got some buildings and nurseries and granite and marble shops etc on it.

The pavement structure is actually supposed to have drainage holes leading to some kind of channel to allow excess water to go away. These are inevitably non- functional because they are absolutely clogged.

So we now have to wait for all the water logged roads to dry in the sunshine.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 08:13   #20334
Senior - BHPian

Brigade road footpath revamped in 2021 caves in
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/94798347.cms
Another report says cobblestone laid church street inaugurated 3 years back has huge potholes. Is there a more incompetent and corrupt agency than BBMP? The cobblestone laid during Roman period still stands tall. These morons can't even make footpath with only people walking over.

The city is now filled with ugly concrete flyovers and metro structures. Going by the quality all these structures will have severe structural issues in less than 20 years. The city may look like a concrete junkyard soon. Already multiple flyovers and metro pillars are crumpling.
poloman is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 10:32   #20335
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem is with lack of rodent proofing the sub surface. This is what a contractor told me when I asked why such newly laid footpaths start sinking. Rodent proofing is a time intense activity, and most contractors are not willing to do the due diligence required for this. Since this does not happen immediately no one is bothered. And they get the opportunity to raise new tenders to repair the footpaths and swindle more taxpayers money.

According to him, 99% of such cave in happens because the rodents will dig tunnels under the paver blocks and cause the surface to cave in due to rains and load on the surface.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 10:50   #20336
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The problem is with lack of rodent proofing the sub surface. This is what a contractor told me when I asked why such newly laid footpaths start sinking. Rodent proofing is a time intense activity, and most contractors are not willing to do the due diligence required for this. Since this does not happen immediately no one is bothered. And they get the opportunity to raise new tenders to repair the footpaths and swindle more taxpayers money.

According to him, 99% of such cave in happens because the rodents will dig tunnels under the paver blocks and cause the surface to cave in due to rains and load on the surface.
This is interesting. We know the reason and the solution, but will not do it .

Shouldn't this proofing then be part of the tender specifications?
Old 12th October 2022, 10:54   #20337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Never occurred to me...even though the exact same thing is happening in my backyard at home! The amount of soil these bandicoots can move over months has to be seen to be believed! They've left a gaping hole in the area around a tree we have in our compound and from there they have burrowed in under the cemented portion of the backyard. The rains have further washed away more soil and some sections are hollow under that cement and will surely cave in. Started feeding some stray cats a few months ago, hopefully they will start hanging around the house and take care of the rodents. And I also need to do some repairs this year. Hopefully BBMP will too!

Last edited by am1m : 12th October 2022 at 10:56.
Old 12th October 2022, 16:27   #20338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Is there a more incompetent and corrupt agency than BBMP? The cobblestone laid during Roman period still stands tall. These morons can't even make footpath with only people walking over.
Compaction of Soil is not done in most of the roads in India, for obvious reasons. Earlier corruption was done with shame and under the table, but now it has been nationalized. Do vote, not for the party, but a good person who can contribute to the local community and who's Not for Sale.

I've seen 2 feet of soil compaction before the top layer of tar is put up. 2 feet of compaction is not done in one shot, but layer by layer. Tests are done after laying each layer of 1 to 1.5 inch of yellow soil. Water can seep inside without affecting the top layer of tar, but not the rodents.

The top layer of bitumen and concrete will be hardly 2 inches, but the roads will be in good condition for the next 20 years.

Last edited by jaaz : 12th October 2022 at 16:31.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 10:28   #20339
BHPian

It appears that a drain pipe was damaged during BMRCL constuction and is attributed to the recent flooding at Kadubesanahalli underpass. Tweets from Mahadevapura task force:
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_2022101310210596_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_2022101310223944_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

satnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 05:13   #20340
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely torrential rain in the Yelahanka area late yesterday night. Had flash flooding too in our immediate area, which was a very rare occurrence.

Drive safe, everyone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks