Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 11:25   #20416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Saw a mega block on the elevated highway towards Electronics City at around 09:15Hrs. Looks like another road accident had happened yesterday night. There was a badly hit (from back) Maruti Omni goods carrier, and I saw also people looking downwards to Hosur Road (another vehicle or deadbody may have been there).

Today's surprise for me was the huge traffic jam in front of the service road at D-Mart in Electronics City. Usually the service road is like a one way, but today saw many vehicles coming from the other side as well.
Old 9th November 2022, 15:04   #20417
BHPian

Traffic was unusually high today on ITPL Main road especially going from ITPL-> Phoenix Market City side around 9.30. Normally it takes 40-45 mins in Car to travel to office but today I somehow picked up my motorbike and realised that it took me exactly same time today. Everywhere some of our BTP guys have created many jams and when I reached office my Smartwatch asked me - " Hey it seems you are working out " .
Old 9th November 2022, 15:15   #20418
BHPian

Yesterday we travelled in an auto from KR Puram to Mahadevapura. Reached till Bagmane world technology park from where there was a HUGE traffic jam on the service road. It took almost 20-30 mins to move just a couple of hundred meters till Bagmane constellation business park entrance. I'm not sure if this is the norm or was there an incident which led to this.

Also observed this weird arrangement where vehicles travelling from Mahadevapura to KR puram side have to go through a ridiculous zig zag path to get on to the KR puram road. I'm wondering if a simpler arrangement is not possible.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-gmaps-screenshot.png

Last edited by Everlearner : 9th November 2022 at 15:21. Reason: Adding more info
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 15:29   #20419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post

Also observed this weird arrangement where vehicles travelling from Mahadevapura to KR puram side have to go through a ridiculous zig zag path to get on to the KR puram road. I'm wondering if a simpler arrangement is not possible.

Attachment 2377261
This is due to the KR puram railway station. The hanging bridge and the newly built railway underpass are the only 2 ways to cross over to the other side.

Before this underpass was built a few years back, had to go all the way till Tin factory to take an u turn and climb the hanging bridge.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 15:30   #20420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course, a straightforward option is available, but you need to travel a km extra towards the tin factory, take a u-turn, and go over the hanging bridge. This zig-zag is the google AI at work looking at the shortcut taken by people. Whether this is better or not is a completely new debate.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-mahadevpuratokrpuram.jpg

Last edited by Jaguar : 9th November 2022 at 15:31.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:02   #20421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also observed this weird arrangement where vehicles travelling from Mahadevapura to KR puram side have to go through a ridiculous zig zag path to get on to the KR puram road.
Similar is the route to go from ORR (Kasturi Nagar) to OMR (Indira Nagar) through that junction. If you are not confident your vehicle can clear the Beniganahalli railway underpass then it becomes just as complicated.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:49   #20422
BHPian

Today I faced what was probably the worst bit of traffic sense in my 9 years of living in Bangalore.
I travel from Kudlu Gate to Whitefield a couple of times a week. Generally take the 19th Main road through HSR to connect to ORR to avoid the red light on 27th Main. I was on my 2 wheeler today so decided to follow 27th main road to turn right towards Sarjapur signal on ORR.
Reaching close to the police station on 27th main, I saw about 6 lanes of cars completely blocking the fairly wide road and causing a total choke at the junction since vehicles from the other direction were unable to come through.
I being on my 2 wheeler was able to give up and come back home.
What I failed to fathom was what exactly was the thought process of the morons who blocked oncoming traffic. I repeat, there were 6 lanes of TTs, autos, cabs and private cars towards the red light. I am not sure if there was a spill over effect of the same on the ORR towards from Sarjapur signal to Silk Board. But the me first approach and blatant lawlessness / rowdiness (specially of the TTs. 2 wheelers and autos) really sets back the quality of traffic on the road.
ShreyG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 16:59   #20423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Saw this nice video that explains the upcoming metro lines and the proposed suburban corridors.
Looks very promising indeed. But then I look at Bannerghata road metro construction. In 2010/11 Builders were selling flats mentioning 'Close to Upcoming Metro' and now in 2022 as well builders are selling flats marketing the same line 'Close to upcoming Metro'
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 17:39   #20424
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2377261
This is so typical 'Bangalore planning'.

All major junctions with the ORR have such idiotic arrangements which lead to jams. U-turns on major roads are such a choke point and yet, ORR has numerous U-turns specifically planned and implemented.

Exhibit A
If someone from Ecospace wants to go towards Suncity, this is the route:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-iblur1.jpg

Exhibit B
Similarly, if someone wants to go from Gandhi Nagar, Marathahalli towards Chinnapanhalli, this is the route:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-marathahalli2.jpg

Basically, making traffic free flowing is the last priority of the planners, architects, developers.

Old 10th November 2022, 09:53   #20425
BHPian

From Indiranagar to Varthur Kodi took 1 hour today even though I left around 8.30 AM.

The HAL Old airport and Suranjandas road junction is a mess (has been for some time now). Even the road from behind the HAL vegetable market was jammed.

Hopefully some relief is on the way

Quote:
The much-awaited underpass to ease traffic on HAL, Marathahalli and Suranjan Das Road at HAL Junction will be completed by December. According to BBMP officials, the project was delayed by one-and-a-half months after silt and clay got deposited at the underpass following heavy rain. Now the process of erecting boxes and stitching is going on one side, and it is likely to be completed in the next 10 days.
Link to article

There is a line in this article that I think doesn't make sense:

Quote:
Vehicles coming from Marathalli side and entering Suranjan Das Road will get a free left turn.
How does one get a free left without meeting cross traffic that is coming from Suranjan Das road and taking a right turn towards MurugeshPallya/Koramangala etc.?
Old 10th November 2022, 09:54   #20426
Senior - BHPian

There are VIP visits planned tomorrow, and there could be rehearsal convoys on the road today as well (mainly on Old Airport & CBD sides). Given a choice, opt for work from home tomorrow.
Old 10th November 2022, 13:42   #20427
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There are VIP visits planned tomorrow, and there could be rehearsal convoys on the road today as well (mainly on Old Airport & CBD sides). Given a choice, opt for work from home tomorrow.
Many ‘Lords and Sirs’ are visiting tomorrow along with their entourages. Best do WFH. This type of thing is more of a ‘Visitation’ than a mere ‘Visit’.

Bengaluru roads shut tomorrow for PM visit, take back entry to airport: https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ersions-169797

PM Modi is expected to attend a slew of events including the inauguration of Terminal 2 of the Bengaluru airport, and flagging off the Vande Bharat train.

Movement of vehicles will be prohibited on the following roads from 8 am to 2 pm on Friday on these roads.

*CTO Junction (Majestic), Police Thimmaiah Junction, Raj Bhavan Road, Basaveshwara Circle, Palace Road, Race Course Road, Sankey Road, Queen’s Road, Ballari Road, International Airport Elevated Corridor, Sheshadri Road (from Maharani College Bridge to Railway Station), KG Road (Shanthala Junction to Mysuru Bank Circle), Vatal Nagaraj Road (Khoday underpass to PF) and roads surrounding the international airport. Entry of heavy vehicles into the city is prohibited from 7am to 3pm*
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:42   #20428
BHPian

The so called and many years in the making "signal free corridor" from CBD to Whitefield is still a work in progress.

But how do they plan to solve Maratahalli where starting from Yemalur signal , Doddanekundi road T-junction , right turn near Maratahalli Veg Market and another U-turn near the HP Petrol Bunk up ahead. Those have been eye sores and traffic choke points for a while without any solution. (these are 4 in number so I guess 4 years more by the existing rate of construction).

Any insights into how the innovative city planners (traffic planners) plan to deal with these four monstrosities of traffic choke ups ?
I was dreading that some genius might start construction of a flyover from Yemalur/Borewell over Maratahalli and land the flyover near the Maratahalli ORR underpass. But so far this does not seem to be a solution.
Old 10th November 2022, 16:52   #20429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
So there will be new lipstick on those Bangalore roads for the VIP visit. Lucky!!! I still remember the last time fiasco which 'tarnished' BBMPs reputation.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 18:00   #20430
BHPian

In the view of the visit of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India to Bengaluru on 11.11.2022, traffic is restricted on the below mentioned roads from Morning 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM Afternoon.

Source : Bangalore Traffic Police

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20221110_175856.jpg

Most Viewed