Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 10:33   #20506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Yes, the same setup of concrete blocks with rails on top of it, to move the crane.
Will that thing be made throughout the metro stretch or only at the place where there are stations? That is one heck of concrete blocks put up there. Will that be removed after crane work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
but I'm thinking of visiting some former colleagues for lunch one of these days.
Go ahead. I work right in the middle of this and travel to office almost daily. No major issues as such. Like someone mentioned in earlier post, past 2-3 days I am seeing some relief in the traffic all over, guess it is due to decongestion done by taking the trucks/heavy ones off the road. For a change, the situation is little better. Touch wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Awesome! It'll be great if that happens, but having seen the deadlines overshoot consistently, will still remain skeptical.
Unlike any other metro work, the ORR metro work is happening in full swing and super duper fast. Everyday there is a progress. At some places, like near rainbow hospital, they have even removed the barricades as the pillars are up. It’s 24/7 work that’s happening. I think they are up to something.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:52   #20507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Will that thing be made throughout the metro stretch or only at the place where there are stations? That is one heck of concrete blocks put up there. Will that be removed after crane work?
This are called a Goliath crane, it will only be set up at 1 spot (one each for AFCONS and SNC), with a limited 100 meters run length for moving a bit. UGirders from the casting yard (AFCONS casting yard is east of Gunjur, as big as 2+ football fields; Similarly SNC and NCC also have their casting yards somewhere) will be trucked on flatbeds using heavy duty TataPrima/Volvo puller trucks to the Goliath crane location, where they will be hoisted and fed to a "elevated-transporter-on-temp-rails (one rail on each existing UGirder)" that'll be set up shortly. The transporter will then travel atop the existing UGirders (ferrying the UGirder just hoisted) to the end where there'll be a LG (launch gantry) that'll install it in N=N+1 fashion. (Sounds chicken-and-egg problem? No, bcoz the few existing UGirders are installed by conventional crane method (think of it as pre-seeding a few UGirders). Why not do this all over then? Bcoz of the split flyovers on the ORR, especially more on the AFCONS stretch. This rules out crane method which needs sufficient space)

Very similar to whats happening by L&T on the bullet train project as we speak (except that there the elevated transporter is on wheels, not rails)

Last edited by vharihar : 30th November 2022 at 10:53.
vharihar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 10:53   #20508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
I am planning to book my next car by travelling to one of the showrooms in ORR or hoodi/graphite india junction by travelling in Metro.
Hoodi I'm quite sure you will be able to reach by Metro by 2024. ORR, no chance. Even if the pillar work is done by then and they do remove the barricades, track work, trial runs, certifying by Indian Railways all will take some more time.

For those who are keen on following the progress of the Bangalore Metro in detail (what the newspapers report is just copy paste from the Metro PRO office!), check out the 'Namma Metro' forum on the skyscrapercity website. I've found some very informed posts there.

Last edited by am1m : 30th November 2022 at 10:57.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:29   #20509
BHPian

I experienced easy traffic today again. From Hennur side on the ORR till OMR. Smooth flowing traffic with a little glitch in the Horamavu underpass, this at 10:30 am. I am not sure if what Sir MA Saleem is doing is helpful or what it is, but its very pleasant to see constantly moving traffic (of course idiots who drive in the opposite direction will make you fume)
A colleague of mine who comes from Sanjay Nagar said the same thing about flow of traffic. Hebbal to Manyata / Nagawara flyover done in 17 mins, he said.
Return was by 2:30 pm so I wont comment.
Old 30th November 2022, 16:42   #20510
BHPian

Traffic was surprisingly light today. Came from Seshadripuram to Bellandur in just 35 minutes after leaving at 10am. Was expecting a 90+ minute commute.
Old 30th November 2022, 18:08   #20511
BHPian

As per this traffic analysis by a company called TomTom, there is atleast a 15-20% drop in congestion in last 7 days compared to last 2 years average on each weekday.

Though these are early trends, but its visible on the roads as well, as shared by many on various platforms.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png

https://www.tomtom.com/traffic-index/bengaluru-traffic

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 30th November 2022 at 18:12.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:38   #20512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
This are called a Goliath crane, it will only be set up at 1 spot (one each for AFCONS and SNC), with a limited 100 meters..
That’s some good information that you provided and looks like you know quite a lot about this field.

Some pics, for those who wants to relate on how this crane is. This is near Akme, Bellandur.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-22a34549ff7c4224a1e9c0455a65d007.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-593f9bf6e4e14cae9e54ca8eb65f1dab.jpeg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ebcfa88125d64787b4c2077ba63fea9b.jpeg

And I guess this below one is what you mentioned as the type of girder that went up by conventional cranes:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-6fc103a5fd89489f9fe3c70c67c41df2.jpeg

Getting Off topic, but to good to see some interesting engineering stuffs while we rant and pass by under it.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th November 2022 at 22:41.
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 02:02   #20513
BHPian

Beggar menace is growing in Bangalore at Traffic signals. There's no one to stop them. It looks more organised. Do we complain to Traffic or Civil Police? Beggars have become bolder and abusive, if we ignore them.

A new trend has started. Beggar's, usually Women are carrying dirty windshield cleaner and spoiling the already clean windshields. They do it forcefully, even after warning not to do. Any solution to get rid of this menace? BBMP is already collecting Beggary Cess from every resident, but still allowing them openly. This menace is happening on M G Road, Anil Kumble Circle and Indian Express Circle in the heart of Bangalore and also near Police Commissioner's Office as well as Traffic Management Centre.

After paying so many taxes, this is an additional burden to bear. Each Signal is managed by different set of Beggar's.

Last edited by jaaz : 1st December 2022 at 02:04.
Old 1st December 2022, 15:30   #20514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Do we complain to Traffic or Civil Police? Beggars have become bolder and abusive, if we ignore them.
It would be the Law & Order Police who have to deal with this mess. I actually sympathise with the two wheeler riders as hijras are present pretty much at every junction, and they also gets a chance to physically harass the riders.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 15:35   #20515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
It would be the Law & Order Police who have to deal with this mess. I actually sympathise with the two wheeler riders as hijras are present pretty much at every junction, and they also gets a chance to physically harass the riders.
Atleast the ones here in Bangalore are not as aggressive as the ones in Mumbai, Delhi etc. (till now)

Beggars wiping windscreens is such an irritating thing, especially when you are on the way back home after getting your car washed and polished. Shouting at them not do do that tiny patch usually doesnt help either.
Old 1st December 2022, 16:26   #20516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
they will be hoisted and fed to a "elevated-transporter-on-temp-rails (one rail on each existing UGirder)" that'll be set up shortly. The transporter will then travel atop the existing UGirders (ferrying the UGirder just hoisted) to the end where there'll be a LG (launch gantry)
Can you explain the "one rail on each existing U girder" part?

I thought it will be a pair of rails on top of the existing U girder, which the new U girder will take to go to its final location.
Old 1st December 2022, 17:12   #20517
BHPian

The columns and the precast sections seem different compared to the earlier phases of metro. Before the columns were widely spaced and used multiple precast sections held with metal. Both rails used a single precast element.

Now it looks like the columns are different, closely spaced and using single pre cast sections. Different ones for both directions. They also look wider. This looks faster if they can bring up the columns in parallel faster. Hope they still use the power feeder line on the rail (3rd rail) and not overhead.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 1st December 2022 at 17:16.
Old 1st December 2022, 18:36   #20518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Can you explain the "one rail on each existing U girder" part?

I thought it will be a pair of rails on top of the existing U girder, which the new U girder will take to go to its final location.
See the pic in this post from SSC (it is 6 months old, but the pic illustration is still relevant) ...

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threa...post-178816732
Old 1st December 2022, 19:32   #20519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/95864729.cms

ORR service roads to be one-way only.
Traffic police were enforcing this on the ORR service roads around Marathalli this morning. Not sure if was a pilot run. I could see multiple instances of arguments between motorists and police which caused mini-jams on ORR.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st December 2022 at 19:34.
Old 1st December 2022, 19:41   #20520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
ORR service roads to be one-way only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Traffic police were enforcing this on the ORR service roads around Marathalli this morning. Not sure if was a pilot run. I could see multiple instances of arguments between motorists and police which caused mini-jams on ORR.
Oh how I wish this works but then the cynic in me thinks that it will go back to the original way in a few weeks if not days.

One of the major roads to our area is dug up for concreting and hence people have to travel further until the signal and make a u turn, a distance of 300-400 mts. But I have seen people instead cut across the median and travel in one way and join in to another arterial road. Alas, people do not want to respect/follow laws

Most Viewed