Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2023, 21:27   #21166
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

What a bad day! Left from my workplace at Brookefield at 6PM, and reached my home at HSR Layout at 8.45PM. 2 hours and 45 minutes to cover 15km. This, on a two-wheeler. I was mostly on first gear throughout the entire commute. This was the worst traffic that I've ever encountered on ORR so far.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 21:35   #21167
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
What a bad day! Left from my workplace at Brookefield at 6PM, and reached my home at HSR Layout at 8.45PM. 2 hours and 45 minutes to cover 15km. This, on a two-wheeler. I was mostly on first gear throughout the entire commute. This was the worst traffic that I've ever encountered on ORR so far.
My commute to Brookfield this morning from C V Raman Nagar via HAL, Old airport road, Marathahalli took 1 hour, with 20 minutes spent standstill near Gopalan Habitat/CMR for no visibly apparent reason started at 8:30 and reached office at 9:35.

Not wanting to take a chance with evening traffic, I started back at 3:15 and was home by 3:45 via KR Puram, Old Madras road.

Work from home is definitely most productive when compared to such days of horrible commutes.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 22:01   #21168
BHPian

Crazy traffic on ORR today. From tin factory to marathahalli it took 2.5 hrs, that too on a two wheeler.The traffic in the opposite direction is less.

Last edited by vinodvaddi : 27th September 2023 at 22:07.
Old 27th September 2023, 22:06   #21169
Distinguished - BHPian

I was a part of this mess today as I left Brookefield and had to take ORR to pick up a friend’s monitor in Ecospace and drop another friend to HSR. Google maps showed this issue very clearly but due to my commitments I had to take the worse route.

I left my work at 4PM and all was well till Marathahalli bridge. After that we were standing still for close to 30 mins on the down ramp. Literally didn’t move and it was unusual. I reached Ecospace after 2.5hr with a slow crawl.. At the Ecospace skywalk, I didn’t understand how the road was clear ahead while the service road was jammed away to glory. I believe the cars entering service road on either side had blocked the entire main carriageway on either side that led to a huge grid lock that went all the way to SAP labs in EPIP. Insanity.Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_9202.jpeg

I finally ended my commute in Forum Koramangla after 3:15 hrs which has been a record for my eight year stint commuting between Whitefield and Banashankari
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 22:20   #21170
Senior - BHPian

Received on WhatsApp: Life on ORR
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-lorr.jpg  

airbus is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 22:42   #21171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Received on WhatsApp: Life on ORR
During my brief evening walk, I saw at least 11 cab drivers who had abandoned their cabs in the traffic and were having snacks, smoke or attending nature's call. I barely had any space to walk as two wheelers were crawling on footpaths and some had even abandoned their two wheelers on the footpath to relax at food or tobacco shops. Saw two torn bumpers but the traffic was so tight that one of the drivers didn't have space to open his door and step out. He helplessly looked on.

Informed 2 ambulances about the jammed roads and 1 was able to turn back before it was too late.

Traffic is still standstill in some areas.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th September 2023 at 22:57.
ashis89 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 23:28   #21172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Ridiculously Red Ring Road at the moment. 2 hours for a 6km drive and still counting.
And that finally went on to take 3 hours for a commute of 6 Kms. Parked the car 500 meters before home and walked the remaining to avoid a U-Turn which obviously would have taken another 1 hour and not being able to resist a loo break. The walking took 5 mins and later on went and picked up the car once the chaos settled.

God, What was that today!! This evening would be written in the history as the worst traffic jam in the city ever.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 27th September 2023 at 23:30.
balenoed_ is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 00:11   #21173
BHPian

Had gone to pick up my mother from her workplace today. Plan was to go through Marathahalli Bridge, but as soon as I left the house I was greeted with a huge jam on both sides! Crawled all the way till ISRO, had already been 20 mins since I'd left the house. Decided to go through KR Puram after figuring out that I would not be able to take a U turn and reach on time in that mess, so tried going KR Puram -> Whitefield -> Hoodi -> Kundanahalli Gate. That may have been the biggest mistake that I made today, a costly one as well. Left at around 7 pm, was stuck near the Singayyana Palya metro and the Seetharam Palya metro, took around 45 mins to cover each metro stop. By then, my mother had already started walking home and reached way before me!

Crawled all the way through Brookfield, it was a bit better by the time I reached Kundanahalli Signal. Then, disaster struck.

A woman riding her scooter in a hurry cuts across her lane and right into my front bumper! I braked hard, got hit from the back as well, if I hadn't I would have made the woman fall. Worst part is, she did not even look back and fled from the spot immediately. I was really upset, and then decided to somehow reach home as soon as possible, safely. Finally reached home at around 10:15pm, surely was a long day full of dreadful surprises.

Damage to the front bumper :( -
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot-20230928-12.10.04-am.png
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 06:04   #21174
BHPian

What a story to tell to your kids / grand kids. Appears like a day with water logging & multiple breakdowns triggering such a havoc. There was a tweet last night from BTP saying issues have been sorted out & vehicles are moving freely.

Considering a long weekend with Karnataka Bandh tomorrow, expect the worst on the roads leading out of the city today. Plan your travel appropriately (really?) or better still, avoid traveling if possible to a peaceful day.
Old 28th September 2023, 08:15   #21175
Distinguished - BHPian

FB throws up a memory from long back - but that must have been a (mild) breeze compared to what folks saw yesterday.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-traffic.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Heard there is a truck breakdown near Kadubeesinahalli causing traffic pile up on ORR from Marathahalli towards Sarjapur road side.
One truck cant cause so much of a jam across the Eastern part of the city.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-traffic-27sept23.jpg

Fellow TBHP-ian Varun said that there was a school bus outside their office standing at the same place for 2 hours plus ! And @Audioholic's comment about standing on the down ramp for 30 min :(

I was wrong though, when I commented at around 9 pm yesterday that things look to have abated. Apparently the situation continued to around mid-night. All this without much rains. An apt picture was the one with the guy sitting, resting himself against the divider. And bikes riding in 1st gear .. well, I want to get out of here !

Last edited by condor : 28th September 2023 at 08:34.
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:34   #21176
Distinguished - BHPian

Seriously, how long is it going to take for these IT companies to realize that the commute in Bangalore really doesn't make sense anymore? For jobs that can be done remote and were being done for 2 years during covid.

Never, I guess.
am1m is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:51   #21177
BHPian

It was a mandatory WFO for me yesterday but due to some hard commitments at home, decided to WFH. Boy did I make the right choice.

Today, the office cab driver told me that he had a pickup at 6pm from my office (near Yeshwanthpur) to Marathahalli, somewhere in the Varthur road. The drop off happened at 10.30pm it seems.

Horrible.

Im on the way to office today (Sep 28) and things seem fine so far. Crossed KR Puram and it was smooth flow. Probably effect of Eid optional off, people taking off/WFH after yesterday’s fiasco and the long weekend of course.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 09:55   #21178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Fellow TBHP-ian Varun said that there was a school bus outside their office standing at the same place for 2 hours plus ! And @Audioholic's comment about standing on the down ramp for 30 min :(
Everything feels so wrong about this (East) part of the city. My friend's kid's bus started from 2.45 pm and reached home around 5.10 pm for a distance of 9 km. The bus attenders were kind enough to get down and purchase snacks and juices for the poor kids.

I had to take my son for a dentist's appointment in the afternoon and we were lucky to have come back in record time, just before all this madness hit.

I wonder how bad things are going to get in the next 5 years. For instance, near the Embassy tech park, they are in the process of constructing 2 more huge office buildings. There is one more, what looks like a mall, on the back road. And a huge green patch behind Embassy is going to occupy a large paying-guest complex, a premium Sobha project and yet another large tech park whose foundation has not yet been laid. The connectivity for all of this is a narrow 2 lane road that already caters to Embassy Tech park, Cessna, New horizon college and serves as a shortcut to ORR for Sarjapur residents. Hats off to the urban planning committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Seriously, how long is it going to take for these IT companies to realize that the commute in Bangalore really doesn't make sense anymore? For jobs that can be done remote and were being done for 2 years during covid.

Never, I guess.
Never is right. What is more, they aren't stopping with the construction. I think it makes little sense to purchase real estate and cars in this part of the city
capnemo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 10:04   #21179
BHPian

Makes sense doesn't it?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20230928_100258.jpg
FURY_44 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 10:07   #21180
Distinguished - BHPian

The issue is the government thinks only the taxi guys can strike. I think private employees should all get together enmasse and stage a frightening road roko along the entire outer ring road and bring these guys to their knees. And enforce a city wide bandh on going to work too. Bring all these guys to their knees!
Red Liner is offline   (54) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks