Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 13:26   #6166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That makes it accident no 4 this year alone. I missed it as I was working elsewhere
3 Trucks
1 Swift
3 Indicabs

Thats a lot more than 4, and I am more than sure of the numbers growing.
Old 19th June 2014, 14:11   #6167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
It is another matter that in spite of repeated accidents, there is no reflector installed on the sidewall of the flyover.
Well, in spite of the accidents civic authority find that putting up one more layer of concrete slabs on either side of the roads is more important (and may be more lucrative) than putting few reflectors on the medians.
Old 19th June 2014, 19:58   #6168
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This week has been a lot better on the Old Madras Road-Devasandra-Hoodi route.
Leaving at 7.45am everyday, I have been lucky not to experience mayhem and jams at the usual suspect junctions Tin Facotory, K R Puram-Devasandra signal and at Hoodi! In fact on wednesday morning it was almost empty on the Zuri-ITPL stretch which is a rarity! To add to this, the hanging bridge-Devasandra junction section has got new tarmac and the potholes on the ramps up and down the bridge have also been patched.
Let's see how long they hold up and how long the smooth flow on this entire stretch continues, keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited by NPV : 19th June 2014 at 20:00.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 07:45   #6169
BHPian

Saw an accident in the morning on the Sarjapur-Ring Road Junction flyover. The accident was between a truck and a JCB.

Not sure how this happened, JCB had crashed on the side wall of the flyover and some concrete pieces were on the road (going towards Sarjapur).

Most likely, I think the truck slammed the JCB from behind.

Don't think this will create too much of problem for the peak hour traffic flowing towards Agara from the Ring Road.

Regards
Old 20th June 2014, 11:41   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Well, in spite of the accidents civic authority find that putting up one more layer of concrete slabs on either side of the roads is more important (and may be more lucrative) than putting few reflectors on the medians.
Saw today that there is a reflector placed on the problem sidewall. It is a small one with red on white background and not the regular black and yellow striped one that we usually see elsewhere in ORR. Something is better than nothing.
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 12:00   #6171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Saw an accident in the morning on the Sarjapur-Ring Road Junction flyover. The accident was between a truck and a JCB.

Not sure how this happened, JCB had crashed on the side wall of the flyover and some concrete pieces were on the road (going towards Sarjapur).

Don't think this will create too much of problem for the peak hour traffic flowing towards Agara from the Ring Road.

Regards
OFF TOPIC- On the lighter side :

Your location says London; but you saw an accident on the Sarjapur-Ring Road Junction flyover. Advent of technology
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 12:06   #6172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post

Your location says London; but you saw an accident on the Sarjapur-Ring Road Junction flyover. Advent of technology
Clairvoyance at it's best.
Old 20th June 2014, 15:16   #6173
Senior - BHPian

So, I was becoming the latest victim of the Intel flyover today. Saved myself in the nick of time.
At 7:15 AM, as usual, I was coming down the Bellandur flyover on the right lane. As I was crossing Ecospace, a mini school bus came from the left lane to the right lane, in front of me. I slowed down and followed the school bus. Suddenly the bus moves to the left lane from infront of me. And there it was infront of me, the dreaded Intel Flyover ramp wall !! I stood on the brakes and made a split second decision - If all fails, I will swevre to the right lane under the bridge, because it would be suicidal to join ORR on the left lane.

Now, all thanks to some good soul who decided to put up the below board on the wall. I don't know what it meant, but all I could make out that the wall was starting there. The wall is well camouflaged with the environment, so difficult to suddenly notice.
Else, I would have been finally spotted and featured on the accidents thread with some rants.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg
Old 20th June 2014, 15:44   #6174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

Regards
The JCB is still stuck on the flyover. Will definitely create a jam in the evening.
Old 20th June 2014, 16:19   #6175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post

Haha, well spotted

Yes, I am in sweet old Bangalore. May be I still want to be in London looking at the traffic in bangalore these days.

Mission, change location this weekend

Regards
Old 22nd June 2014, 00:55   #6176
BHPian

I have learnt from a reliable source that a skywalk has been sanctioned in front of Ecospace on ORR and the construction will start soon. This is going to be a big relief to both pedestrians & vehicles and hopefully will reduce commute time.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 10:24   #6177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have learnt from a reliable source that a skywalk has been sanctioned in front of Ecospace on ORR and the construction will start soon. This is going to be a big relief to both pedestrians & vehicles and hopefully will reduce commute time.
We have to see to what extent the skywalks will be utilized. For instance we have an underpass near bommnahalli. I have used it many a times to cross the road. But still vast majority of the public prefer crossing the roads directly thereby putting their lives at stake.
Old 23rd June 2014, 07:56   #6178
Senior - BHPian

Those who drive from Kadubeesanahalli towards Marathahalli on Outer Ring Road beware. There is a man sitting in the rightmost lane, with his back against the median and feet stretched on the road. He is shirtless. He is either drunk or mentally challenged.

I have posted this on BTP's Facebook page. I hope they take necessary action soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
We have to see to what extent the skywalks will be utilized. For instance we have an underpass near bommnahalli. I have used it many a times to cross the road. But still vast majority of the public prefer crossing the roads directly thereby putting their lives at stake.
They should install a median high enough that no one can scale it and wide enough that no one can run around it. Utilise it for advertisements too. I don't remember exactly, but I think this is what they have done near Royal Orchid hotel in Murugeshpalya. No?

Last edited by rohanjf : 23rd June 2014 at 07:58.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:02   #6179
Senior - BHPian

Those heading towards Majestic, either do not venture out to that side of the town or leave sufficient times for traffic snarls due to some farmers protest, I believe it is with regards to the sugarcane pricing.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:49   #6180
Distinguished - BHPian

There's this motorbike ad I see on television these days. In it the rider steps out wearing boxers and tee and starts riding. He commences to put his pants and shirt on while riding, assuming various poses like controlling the handlebar with his legs and sitting on the handlebars itself and then does a wheelie to adjust the shoes. While he wears a helmet in the ad (sans other gear), in such precarious poses I would say the helmet is wearing him for protection. This is the last ad that this city dwellers need to see. I understand its just an ad but in an era where cars are being lambasted for inadequate safety & where seatbelt laws are getting stricter, it seems a bit wild to me. Just today morning I read of an accident case where a rider lost his life riding a BMW superbike at 2.30 a.m. The reason is said to be speed.

There's a reason why rants on B'lore traffic is more than 10 times voluminous than Mumbai or Delhi. The amount of 2 wheelers (highest in the country) variety of cars, congested roads, misbehaving auto's and buses have made life miserable for everyone. Just today morning I saw a bus driver and conductor shoving and slapping an SUV driver for some small incident (no visible damage, bus was behind the car). An accident is no pleasant situation but losing ones head and resorting to violence in today's era is nothing but barbarianism and this city is slowly entering the pinnacle of decadence, despite a few good changes.

I say this with no bias or partiality, I would not like to live in this city anymore. Even if the situation in the rest of India is no different I feel the way life used to be in this city has been subject to perversion and all we're left with is a shadow of the time as short as 5 years back. Honking, billowing smoke pollution and road rage to boot. Is it worth it to step outside at all? Team-BHP is a huge forum, I would like some of us to initiate a movement to prioritise safety and road sense. Anyone else feel the same?
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed