Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:11   #6226
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The new method to fill up a pothole? Put big granite blocks in them.
Venue - Service road joining ORR and Old Airport / Varthur Road. Going towards Varthur.
Idiots!
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:36   #6227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Venue - Service road joining ORR and Old Airport / Varthur Road. Going towards Varthur.
Idiots!
I have seen cases where apart from placing a stone, they also place branches of plant all around to caution the motorists and drivers.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:49   #6228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I have seen cases where apart from placing a stone, they also place branches of plant all around to caution the motorists and drivers.
I am pretty sure this is not a case to warn motorists. The pothole was so deep that they thought that they could fill it up with boulders.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:28   #6229
BHPian

This video by MAAC offers a different perspective about traffic cops. Posting it here from BTRC FB Page. Such a thankless job it is.

creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:36   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Re: The hardships caused by white tempo shuttle services

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
Please be careful of these IT shuttle service cabs and try to maintain a distance from them.
Did you manage to note down the vehicle registration number or at least the 'IT' company the cab belonged to? On weekends, these cabs are normally o their own and not ferrying any 'IT' folks, however the company is still responsible as they have their stickers on. If you have more information about the vehicle please provide here and someone may be able to do something.
Old 4th July 2014, 00:03   #6231

Hi, Yes I clicked couple of pics of the cab. It belonged to Prince tours and travels, KR Puram and they were providing service for IGATE company as I could see their sticker as well. I called them, but he replied exactly what you said above that they were on their own and apologize for the same. :( . At that time, I didnt quite feel like arguing with him and didnt proceed further.
Old 4th July 2014, 15:40   #6232
BHPian

I live in an apartment complex on Whitefield-Hoskote Road, near Kadugodi. Others who travel on this stretch towards Old Madras Road could have witnessed the state of the road for a few months now. It was dug up repeatedly by every government department I've known for some reason or the other. This creates a huge pile-up right till HP Petrol Bunk. Recently, they've filled up the road with gravel.

The funniest part is, almost everyday, I see groups of men and women using their brooms to clean the sides of the road. I've been seeing this for months now. Good that they clean, but when is the road coming up?
Old 4th July 2014, 16:46   #6233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I live in an apartment complex on Whitefield-Hoskote Road, near Kadugodi. Others who travel on this stretch towards Old Madras Road could have witnessed the state of the road for a few months now. It was dug up repeatedly by every government department I've known for some reason or the other. This creates a huge pile-up right till HP Petrol Bunk. Recently, they've filled up the road with gravel.

The funniest part is, almost everyday, I see groups of men and women using their brooms to clean the sides of the road. I've been seeing this for months now. Good that they clean, but when is the road coming up?
You can raise a complaint on below site,

http://www.ichangemycity.com/

One of my colleagues, raised complaint regarding street lights not working between Graphite India Signal to KTPO and he received followup calls from BBMP.

Appears like they have taken action and lights are fixed now.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 17:19   #6234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
This video by MAAC offers a different perspective about traffic cops. Posting it here from BTRC FB Page. Such a thankless job it is.
Saw the video (as it is also very popular in Facebook etc.) Off-course the video does "glorify" the Traffic Police a bit, even though there are many other people who sacrifice lot on their personal time. All said and done even the IT staff etc. also have to slog hard, but aspects like better pay brings a difference.

A big difference for the police force in general is that they don't have a fixed duty hours. Police agencies all across the world works 24/7, but what makes the difference is that they have a proper duty roster in place. Where as in many states in India, police men are expected to be available any time, and generally they get one day as weekly-off. This weekly-off itself is not guaranteed if an emergency strikes and they require more police men on the ground. The problem is very severe because of the number of police men is very less. Pilots, Train Drivers etc. also have to work in shifts, but they have strict labour rules which determine the mandatory hours of rest etc. Such a thing is not happening in Police forces. A few police force (like Kerala Police) is now introducing a proper duty system where police men have their weekly day offs, and mandatory rest period, including rest periods which allows them to have a proper night rest.

The video clearly highlights the health hazard which a traffic police man faces on a daily basis. Pollution, heat & dust all takes a toll on them. And the pay they get is pittance when compared to the physical & mental strain they undergo.

With the kind of drivers we have on the road, frustration levels are also going to be on the rise for them. As a friendly police man once said - many Indians do not allow the police to do their job. Policing is a field in which every one has an opinion. A patient (be it from IIT, IIM, B.Tech, BE etc. etc.) undergoing treatment does not challenge the doctor's words or question his capability. Where as the same chap would have 1001 opinions on what the police should do (or should NOT do).
Old 4th July 2014, 17:39   #6235
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:

Tell me about it! That road is in an appalling state.

I am at Golden Blossom by the way. We should meet up.
Old 5th July 2014, 05:06   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Tell me about it! That road is in an appalling state.

I am at Golden Blossom by the way. We should meet up.
Of-course we should .
I am at Purab Manor, and I don't enjoy the drive till there from the fly-over.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:28   #6237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Others who travel on this stretch towards Old Madras Road could have witnessed the state of the road for a few months now.
Been a daily user of this stretch for over two years now. I use it to go to Cox Town every day of the week. The part that I hate is the dust. Its too much. If you have a truck in front, then you can forget about it till you reach the canal bridge. It was once the other side of the road that was in tatters and now its this side. Terrible condition. In a way I am glad there is no rain. Can't imagine the mess otherwise.
Old 7th July 2014, 13:18   #6238
Senior - BHPian

A good start and hopefully they implement it like the no-tint rule,

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ights-get.html
Old 7th July 2014, 13:42   #6239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
A good start and hopefully they implement it like the no-tint rule,

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ights-get.html
The question on implementing it is a big one. How will they track people with high beams on? Surely, they would not be jumping into the middle of the road at night. How will they prove that vehicle was in high beam? There are too many question marks on the implementation of this one.

I would surely like for this to be enforced strictly, as I understand the pain of driving when the opposite party has the high beam on and doesn't even blink it.
Old 7th July 2014, 18:05   #6240
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Have you heard of speed breakers with Granite implants ?

Well, there's one on the Devasandra Road near Ayyappa Nagar, the granite stones reinforce the speed breaker build quality!

In other news, most of the broken sections on the Devasandra-Hoodi route have been patched up - they were filled with Gravel multiple times earlier and before it could be patched, they would get strewn all over with vehicular movement.
I don't have too much hope since the monsoon seems round the corner and most of the roads that were recently patched up have potholes resurfacing after couple of showers last week

Last edited by NPV : 7th July 2014 at 18:07.

Most Viewed