Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 20:41   #6976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I had a dreamy ride back from EPIP today.

A distance of 18km was covered in 45 minutes flat!

The miracle? I didn't have to stop at Kundanahalli Gate!

My overall journey comprising of Old Airport Road forced me to stop at a signal only 2 times overall.

I am elated! :P

Alas, the morning commute was a polar opposite. Took me 1 hour to reach EPIP from Kundanahalli Gate.

But as they say, all's well that ends well!
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 01:27   #6977
Senior - BHPian

Damn !! The concept of a Gap in Median needs to strictly go away from ORR.
The only points where vehicles should cross roads, or take U-Turns, should be under those crappy flyovers.
The rest of ORR should be stritcly Gap-In-Median Free.

I don't need to explain what goes on with those innumerable gaps and idiots sneaking into those gaps irrespective of who is coming on the fast lane or whatever.

Old 31st October 2014, 09:23   #6978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The concept of a Gap in Median needs to strictly go away from ORR.
Are you referring to an official gap created by the police/BBMP, or the unofficial one created by bikers, and expanded by autos/cabbies?

I feel the only way to avoid the latter is to have the cast-concrete medians, like what is available on Bannerghatta Road near Dairy Circle.
Old 31st October 2014, 09:33   #6979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Are you referring to an official gap created by the police/BBMP, or the unofficial one created by bikers, and expanded by autos/cabbies?

I feel the only way to avoid the latter is to have the cast-concrete medians, like what is available on Bannerghatta Road near Dairy Circle.
Officially they should go.
Sample this - The official gap in front of New Horizon College near Kadubisenahalli underpass is a classic jam creator. One one side upto the foot of Intel flyover, and upto JP Morgan and beyond on the other side. This needs to go. People should go to either on top of the underpass, or below Intel flyover to take their U-Turns.

I have nothing to say about unofficial ones created by bikers. They are on a suicide mission, and they can go to any extent like carrying the bike on shoulder and crossing the median. Hopeless souls.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 12:30   #6980
Team-BHP Support

The ORR should ideally be a median-free, signal free corridor with designated exits and U-turns via ramps (something similar to the Domlur-Koramangala interchange). May not work flawlessly, but will be much better than the chaos existing today.

Just last week, I came across a two wheeler rider removing a median block to make passage, while there's a U-turn up ahead barely 200 meters away. I gave him a piece of my mind, shameless fellow made indecent gestures and asked me to move on in abusive language.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:28   #6981
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

BTP's strategy to prevent parking in a "No-Parking" signaged zone. No one usually bothers, this stretch always has vehicles parked.
So what do they do when they really need to enforce it for some reason ?
Barricade the entire lane!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-no-lane.jpg
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:51   #6982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
BTP's strategy to prevent parking in a "No-Parking" signaged zone. No one usually bothers, this stretch always has vehicles parked.

Attachment 1304871
A foolish idea by BTP . I think this stretch is the road heading towards jakkasandra.
Old 2nd November 2014, 20:16   #6983
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1304871

I saw this as well today, it's opposite the multitude of Flipkart offices.

This made no sense to me, wouldn't barricading the lane just stop people from parking however still render the lane unusable? This would cause the same traffic snarls with or without it?! Another band aid on our traffic problems!
Old 3rd November 2014, 07:53   #6984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1304871
You should have read the fine line:

No Parking of Vehicles.
Parking OK for Barricades.
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:16   #6985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha, saw this. I mean what dunderhead thougt of this idea? That the barricades itself are blocking the lane? Instead of slapping fines on cars that are normally parked there, they resort to this. Spineless too.
Old 4th November 2014, 09:12   #6986
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Many schools are closed today but still took about the same time on the old madras-devasandra-hoodi-ITPL route this morning though I started at 7:40am.
Tin factory junction was full to the brim as usual, then Devasandra junction had a crazy 5 minute block with no vehicle being able to enter the road. Then traffic started moving magically - it was a traffic cop (inspector) who caused the jam!
Don't know what transpired, he got into an auto asked the driver to make a U-turn to head out of Devasandra Road onto Old Madras road, he was gesturing a lot sitting inside the auto with his walkie-talkie in hand
And again slow-mo traffic near Hoodi junction till the BP petrol pump and then smooth going.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:21   #6987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hahaha, saw this. I mean what dunderhead thougt of this idea? That the barricades itself are blocking the lane? Instead of slapping fines on cars that are normally parked there, they resort to this. Spineless too.

Discussed this with one of the inspectors on duty at Jakkasandra stop. Apparently, it was not just the problem with white board cars. A number of office cabs were getting parked here too in evenings and mornings and it was not easy dealing with them(for reasons we all know well). This is a temporary deterrent which (hopefully) should push the taxis and so-called educated class to look for proper parking spaces than using this spot as granted.
In a nutshell, BTP is counting on the fact that once we form a habit, its difficult to change it.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:24   #6988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
In a nutshell, BTP is counting on the fact that once we form a habit, its difficult to change it.
Oh well, they remove the barricades and trust me, they will start parking their vehicles again!
Old 4th November 2014, 13:32   #6989
BHPian

Quote:
Oh well, they remove the barricades and trust me, they will start parking their vehicles again!
If we are given the task of managing Bangalore's traffic, we will go nuts too. I too am anxious to see the result of this exercise. Will this idea "flip" the "kart"?
Old 4th November 2014, 14:36   #6990
BHPian

Quote:
If we are given the task of managing Bangalore's traffic, we will go nuts too. I too am anxious to see the result of this exercise. Will this idea "flip" the "kart"?
Quote:
Quote:

As a solution, they should introduce multi storeyed parking to complete eradicate such problem. This is never going to happen in BLR, considering the fact that these governing bodies are pretty quick to arrive a solution rather than deeply analyzing the problem in the first place.

There is hardly any space in koramangala I Block, where will one park their 2/4 wheelers? In the end, whatever be the solution, the public has to face such huge inconvenience.

Laying barricades looks like a tit for tat solution.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 4th November 2014 at 14:37. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks