Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 20:04   #6901
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Bengaluru is sinking with this crazy amount of traffic and the crazy behaviour of people.
Im not sure any more about this being the right place to live in, in the long term.
Totally agree!
Have been contemplating on the same for years.
Better luck in finding where the above phenomenon is not transpiring.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:13   #6902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Are there alternate routes to go to IPTL apart from Hoody and Graphite India.??

I don't think so
It was a warning for people leaving late for work like me. It took me a good 2 hours and 45 mins from Richmond to Graphite India. Plus you needed to avoid the stretch I mentioned. No idea about Hoodi or how that stretch was, but it could not have been half as bad as the Kundalahalli Road
Old 27th October 2014, 20:16   #6903
Distinguished - BHPian

• Easy access to cars - Yes, I want to drive to work
  • Longer travel times - Why not my own car than smell sweat for 2 hours
  • Unpredictable weather conditions - Oh shucks! I should buy a car now, It rains every day or its getting too hotter in summer these days
  • Largest of IT complex coming up in the busiest of areas (Infra doesn't grow along with it then) - Service roads are for Hawkers and cabbies to park
  • Trucks plying all round the city, round the clock - Planners need not visit London but just take a flight to any other city and see how entry of trucks is managed (No, lets not even talk about how the city has outgrown itself, It has happened to many cities too)
  • BMTC and Private buses swallowing the narrowest of roads - Yes, a stretched bus entering a narrow lane blocking the opposite traffic in peak hours only because its turning radius is less
  • Malls, Malls and more Malls - Yeah, and only at Major intersections
  • Futile attempts to ape the west on dense roads - Auto lanes, Cycle lanes
  • Magic Boxes to make junctions signal free - Toothpaste tube syndrome, anyone?
  • BMTC Buses need OBD ports with Intelligent warning system that it will break down in the next 20 minutes!
  • Haphazardly placed makeshift medians that dynamically keep widening or narrowing lanes as they wish (and these
    makeshift medians remain in the same condition for years!)
  • My personal favorite: MADIWALA - 3 lanes each side of which 2 lanes on one side is for Private Bus Parking and one lane on right side as well. Rest of the lanes if for the peak hour traffic to move in and out of the city - This on Bangalore's busiest road leading towards Hosur!!
Last but not the least: This very own thread discussing about the woes years after years and nothing seems to get right!

No amount of tech savvy instincts or social media fanfare is going to make things better before the basics are set right.

Look at the Jewel called Krishnarajapuram Bridge that only failed to make way into the wonders of India and commuters suffer every day since the past 7 years at least. And this is exactly the same time the Outer Ring road was being developed.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th October 2014 at 20:25.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 20:43   #6904
BHPian

For reaching office, I need to cross Tin factory and the KR Puram Railway station. For the past 1 year, I dumped my two wheeler and taking the public transport. I am trying to convince my office colleagues to take the public transport at least for a day or two in a week, but nothing is working out. Unless we individuals take such proactive steps, nothing solves the problem, no matter what the infrastructure is..
Old 27th October 2014, 20:59   #6905
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Look at the Jewel called Krishnarajapuram Bridge that only failed to make way into the wonders of India and commuters suffer every day since the past 7 years at least. And this is exactly the same time the Outer Ring road was being developed.
The best comment on that I heard ever, was when some said: One of the guys wanted to add to his resume, that he had built a hanging bridge.

What waste of space and infrastructure.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 21:04   #6906
Distinguished - BHPian

I think today's madness was partly due to the fact that due to the morning rains, people like me who normally commute to office by bike, were forced to take the car out resulting in a large increase in number of cars on the road.
Old 27th October 2014, 21:07   #6907
Senior - BHPian

I got into a bmtc Volvo at vydehi hospital by 7.30 pm and still half a km from silk board signal.

This is normal, eh?
Old 28th October 2014, 01:13   #6908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I got into a bmtc Volvo at vydehi hospital by 7.30 pm and still half a km from silk board signal.
This is normal, eh?
Lucky you I say !!
7:30 PM - 9:07 PM -> Just 1.5 Hrs !!
Last week, my wife travelled for 2:5 Hrs for the same distance.
Just like that, no rains or whatsoever.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:21   #6909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Im not sure any more about this being the right place to live in, in the long term.
+1 to this. These thoughts are lingering in my mind for the last four years, but some or other aspect of life gets a higher priority and any plans to move out goes down the laundry list. I think Bangalore is now pretty much unmanageable, and the traffic woes are just one amongst those unmanageable item. I would not blame the average/common man Kannadiga out there for this, it was a full all-India based effort. The city grew very rapidly, and it just could not cope up. I don't know if any city in India has grown in such a manner.

Leave alone traffic, water scarcity is now pretty much a common thing in the city (and suburbs). Look at the fees people pay for schools, and see the quality of education these folks provide. Two days back another "International School" reported an issue of child molestation. More over the school did not have the requisite licenses/approvals/certification to run classes above 5th standard. Real Estate is another big mess. To be very frank, I feel the city cannot afford any decent life style. People may be making more money (when compared to other parts of India), but that money goes the same way as it comes.

My target is to move out in another 4 years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
I think today's madness was partly due to the fact that due to the morning rains
It had also rained in the city yesterday late evening. Water logging reported in most of the main roads, and off course this leads to traffic becoming chaotic.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:23   #6910
Senior - BHPian

A single pothole created during last night's heavy downpour managed to create a queue of vehicles for 3-4 km at Varthur this morning. The depth of the pothole is >= 2 feet. Even truck drivers were reluctant to negotiate this pothole thinking that it may scrape the bottom of their trucks . The road inside the Varthur village looks like a post-apocalyptic zone depicted in PC games.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 28th October 2014 at 10:27.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:27   #6911
Senior - BHPian

Again a big traffic jam from marathahalli bridge onwards. Normally the ITPL bus that i board from Bommanahalli leaves at 7:45 AM and reaches ITPL between 8:45 - 9 AM. Yesterday it reached at 9:30 AM and today at 9:45 AM.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:57   #6912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
A single pothole created during last night's heavy downpour managed to create a queue of vehicles for 3-4 km at Varthur this morning. The depth of the pothole is >= 2 feet. Even truck drivers were reluctant to negotiate this pothole thinking that it may scrape the bottom of their trucks . The road inside the Varthur village looks like a post-apocalyptic zone depicted in PC games.
I saw this while coming back from Kerala on Sunday. Had taken the same route one week back and the road had deteriorated due to rains.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:09   #6913
BHPian

Apocalypse has happened on SuranjanDas Road which has probably never been laid and all attempts have been terminated by someone who does not want that road to be done.
Its sad to see no one and absolutely no one is making an attempt to repair this important link road. Is there an answer ?
Same case with so many roads ? Why is the administration does not nip the problem in the bud ? I sometimes feel ashamed to call this city the IT capital of India.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:11   #6914
Team-BHP Support

This is beginning to get highly repetitive and rather predictable as well. The roadworks are done during peak hours, inconveniencing all traffic, and then shoddy patchwork is dished out. Soon, we see the onset of rains, and the craters are back, causing further traffic jams all over again. And the cycle continues...

It amazes me that there is absolutely no effort being made by any of the authorities to control this menace. I do remember reading a few pages back about how roadworks were done even during pouring rains when the PM was visiting, and that too just in one direction! Who are they trying to fool?!
Old 28th October 2014, 11:26   #6915
BHPian

I remember seeing the interview of a person who was a road contractor. He was very proudly saying that if we do quality work then how will we get work again ? We need work from the BBMP.
One more road contractor was saying that due to payments getting delayed from the BBMP they often go slow on the road repair works. I think the problem is lack of political will rather than blame the contractor. Its the hand that controls the tool that is the problem and not the tool itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks