Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 13:24   #6946
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

What happened to the funds allocated? 1,550 Lakhs
The pic you attached has your answer too. No, I'm not kidding! Every single party mentioned there took their share of the loot while ground reality is clearly visible for you to see.
Old 29th October 2014, 13:28   #6947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found this on one of FB groups.

For people who use Graphite India signal. Has anyone noticed it?

Since I hardly travel this place, I cannot confirm on the authenticity of the picture. Someone can confirm ??

In case this is true. Not sure what happened to the project.

What happened to the funds allocated? 1,550 Lakhs
I think this board is still present in Graphite India signal.
Old 29th October 2014, 13:41   #6948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
We need to really check this part with old Bangaloreans - who have been in the city for ages now. Was the city like this always? Or is it the mad rush which started in late 1990s which kick started this mess?

Don't know if we need to start another thread, which talks about Bangalore of the yester-years. How the city was, when perhaps we put our first step into the city.
I have been in Bangalore for all my life from the early 80's and can vouch that this was not how the place used to be. It was for a reason that this place was called a pensioners paradise and that was not limited to the weather alone. People were friendly to each other and knew each other. Lesser vehicles meant lot of place for people to walk and especially the elder ones.
I do not say that the advent of the IT revolution has spoilt the city, but I am sure that it has CHANGED the city.
Old 29th October 2014, 14:03   #6949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I hardly travel this place, I cannot confirm on the authenticity of the picture. Someone can confirm ??
Yes it is still there and might complete 5 year anniversary for being there. Note that the plan was to create under pass from Kundanahalli towards Hoodi. But the 90% of traffic is from Kundanahalli towards EPIP. Most likely it would have ended as yet another poorly designed *infrastructure* of Bangalore.

The reason probably why it was shelved or delayed is might be they didn't get clearance from BMRCL. Metro line from Hoodi will turn left onto EPIP at Graphite signal. Underpass would have hindered the metro work.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 14:13   #6950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We need to really check this part with old Bangaloreans - who have been in the city for ages now. Was the city like this always? Or is it the mad rush which started in late 1990s which kick started this mess?

Don't know if we need to start another thread, which talks about Bangalore of the yester-years. How the city was, when perhaps we put our first step into the city.
Slightly OT: There is this lovely Facebook page where old timers post photos and experiences that go all the way back to the 50's and 60's. Lot of photos from the 70's and 80's also.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bygo...alore/?fref=nf

Since this is a thread related to traffic and roads. This video will be apt

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Good place to go unwind occasionally.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 29th October 2014 at 14:19. Reason: additional content
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 14:14   #6951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yes it is still there and might complete 5 year anniversary for being there. Note that the plan was to create under pass from Kundanahalli towards Hoodi. But the 90% of traffic is from Kundanahalli towards EPIP. Most likely it would have ended as yet another poorly designed *infrastructure* of Bangalore.

The reason probably why it was shelved or delayed is might be they didn't get clearance from BMRCL. Metro line from Hoodi will turn left onto EPIP at Graphite signal. Underpass would have hindered the metro work.
Thanks for clarifying and it makes sense.

Wish the funds are not misused.
Old 29th October 2014, 14:28   #6952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass
I have been in Bangalore for all my life from the early 80's and can vouch that this was not how the place used to be.
I have been here for nearly 15 years, and perhaps would have seen the city going from bad to worse. At that time:-
1. Majestic areas still had all those theatres including the one named "Majestic".
2. The road (KG Road??) leading from Hudson Circle to Majestic area was two way - and I felt it was really a very wide road.
3. No fly-over in any of the "circles" like Anand Rao Circle, Richmond Circle and Mekhri Circle.
4. The last point for private long distance buses to pick up passengers were Diary Circle (again no fly over). Over the years it moved to Madivala Check post, then Maruti Nagar and now I guess it is all the way till Bommanahalli.
5. St. John's Hospital Area was considered to be outside the city. The area where Forum Mall stands today was some kind of open ground with a few shanties/shacks out there.
6. Inner Ring Road was in planning stage only. The road opened some where in late 1990s only. Places like Iblur and Sarjapur Rd-ORR Jn. was barren, except for the ASC and CMP training camps and the Artillery Firing range. Sarjapura was a distant village/town and generally private buses (like "Lava Kusha" etc.) operated on this route. I remember seeing people riding on the bus roof top - some thing which I had never seen in Kerala .
7. HSR lay out was not in existance at all (in 1998-1999 time frame). The area started seeing growth in 2000, along with BTM lay out. At that time houses in HSR layout and BTM used to have strong grills as the area had minor dacoity problems.
8. Electronics City was just getting readied. I remember visiting the first Bangalore.COM exhibition. It was an empty barren ground, and today that area is Neeladri Nagar with flats and more flats. Electronics City was more of an Industrial Estate catering to electronics industry.
9. There used to be double-decker buses operated by BMTC. It plied on the Majestic->Indira Nagar 80 Ft Reed route.
10. Silk Board Jn. was just a normal road intersection, and kind of in the out-skirts of the city.

PS: When I wrote this down, I remember what friend of mine (who is much elder) told me. He studied in Bangalore in the mid 1980s. At that time, HAL Airport was really far away from the city centre. After Domlur and Indira Nagar the rest of the road was really empty. People used to avoid it in the nights. And only thing other than the airport was a College (Viswesarayya College?). Places like Marathahalli etc. may have been villages at that time .
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 14:33   #6953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying and it makes sense.

Wish the funds are not misused.
When the devas and asuras can fight against each other for drinking the nectar of immortality, do you think the various state parties would have been silent once the funds were allocated. These guys are mere mortals. The funds would have been devoured by now.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:41   #6954
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been here for nearly 15 years, and perhaps would have seen the city going from bad to worse. At that time:-
Back in the early to mid 80's we sometimes played cricket right across the street, yes on C M H Road

Hardly any traffic those days, there would just be the occasional bus.

And we had 2 very friendly neighbourhood stores right across the street - a general/provision store and an ice-cream parlour so enough reasons to dash across the street often to buy things
Old 29th October 2014, 16:16   #6955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
Back in the early to mid 80's we sometimes played cricket right across the street, yes on C M H Road
Back to nostalgia mode...
1. In 1999-2000 time frame, I remember riding down from Mathikere all the way to Madiwala Check post in around 25 minutes flat. This was on Sundays. All most all the roads were two-way, and considered pretty wide. Yeswantpur circle was a bit of a bother even then, but then roads near IISc, Raj Bhavan Road, Hosur Road were wide open (and did allow two way traffic). Richmond Road (with Richmond Circle) also allowed two way traffic.
2. Again in 1998 or 1999 Bangalore Police launched a massive scheme known as "Hoysala"; the police mobile patrols. The name was decided by a lottery scheme, with general public suggesting the names. Until then city was only patrolled by regular police station mobiles, which only came out on a need basis. The jeeps also had provisions to hold a .303 Lee Enfield (SMLE) rifle as well .
3. Marathahalli gained some importance during the 2002-2004 time frame, when textile mills started show rooms to sell their "seconds/rejected" clothing items.
4. Places like Gottikere (on Bannerghatta Road) was outside the city maps before 2004, for all practical purposes. I had friends (who worked for Shobha Constructions as carpenters) who were staying at Gottikere. A very tiny place, with age-old dilapidated houses. It was that typical village - a cluster of houses, shops etc. and open areas all around. The open areas may have been agricultural lands. After Jayadeva Circle, the road was empty especially in the night. Places like Hulimavu had a dubious reputation as some late night two wheeler riders got mugged. Meenakshi temple was not known to many, and it was just a very regular village/town temple.
5. Sarjapur Road was pretty much a close cousin of Bannerghatta Road. The good roads (from the city) usually ended at the point where the Sarjapur Road Fire station stands, after that it was a very poorly maintained road.

As a kid I had visited Bangalore and it should have been in mid-1980s. Only thing I remember was the huge open air movie theatre. It allowed people to come in their cars, sit in the car and watch the movies . There was also a restraunt, where you could order food and the waiters brought it to your car. Unfortunately I could not figure out where exactly that theatre would have been today.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:24   #6956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back to nostalgia mode...
1. In 1999-2000 time frame, I remember riding down from Mathikere all the way to Madiwala Check post in around 25 minutes flat. This was on Sundays. All most all the roads were two-way, and considered pretty wide. Yeswantpur circle was a bit of a bother even then, but then roads near IISc, Raj Bhavan Road, Hosur Road were wide open (and did allow two way traffic). Richmond Road (with Richmond Circle) also allowed two way traffic.
2. Again in 1998 or 1999 Bangalore Police launched a massive scheme known as "Hoysala"; the police mobile patrols. The name was decided by a lottery scheme, with general public suggesting the names. Until then city was only patrolled by regular police station mobiles, which only came out on a need basis. The jeeps also had provisions to hold a .303 Lee Enfield (SMLE) rifle as well .
3. Marathahalli gained some importance during the 2002-2004 time frame, when textile mills started show rooms to sell their "seconds/rejected" clothing items.
4. Places like Gottikere (on Bannerghatta Road) was outside the city maps before 2004, for all practical purposes. I had friends (who worked for Shobha Constructions as carpenters) who were staying at Gottikere. A very tiny place, with age-old dilapidated houses. It was that typical village - a cluster of houses, shops etc. and open areas all around. The open areas may have been agricultural lands. After Jayadeva Circle, the road was empty especially in the night. Places like Hulimavu had a dubious reputation as some late night two wheeler riders got mugged. Meenakshi temple was not known to many, and it was just a very regular village/town temple.
5. Sarjapur Road was pretty much a close cousin of Bannerghatta Road. The good roads (from the city) usually ended at the point where the Sarjapur Road Fire station stands, after that it was a very poorly maintained road.

As a kid I had visited Bangalore and it should have been in mid-1980s. Only thing I remember was the huge open air movie theatre. It allowed people to come in their cars, sit in the car and watch the movies . There was also a restraunt, where you could order food and the waiters brought it to your car. Unfortunately I could not figure out where exactly that theatre would have been today.
Gone are the days where one could cross the road blindfolded. Today even if you are waiting at the right spot to cross the road, you could be rebuked by the moronic two wheelers as to why we are blocking their way
Old 29th October 2014, 16:32   #6957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a kid I had visited Bangalore and it should have been in mid-1980s. Only thing I remember was the huge open air movie theatre. It allowed people to come in their cars, sit in the car and watch the movies .
Bangalore or Chennai? Prarthana on ECR I believe is still functioning. Been a while since I went there (too many moskies) but it was a good outing for the family. Go with pillows and duvets and watch a movie :-)
Old 29th October 2014, 19:09   #6958
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The open air theater is most likely the one on Bannerghatta road just before Dairy Circle. The place now has an office building I think its IBM.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 19:12   #6959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The open air theater is most likely the one on Bannerghatta road just before Dairy Circle. The place now has an office building I think its IBM.
Wasn't Opera also an open air theater?
Old 29th October 2014, 19:19   #6960

No, NPV is correct, IBM office on Bannerghatta Road was where we had "Drive In Theatre" earlier.
sunilnp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks