Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 11:01   #6796
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

This morning, around 10 AM, Sumos, Indicas were taking U-turn on Mahadevapura flyover towards Marathalli, and were coming down the wrong way, just because there was slow moving traffic up ahead !!!

Now I've seen everything.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:01   #6797
BHPian

Traffic update: Slow moving traffic from K.R.Puram to Mahadevpura due to a broken down/punctured lorry right after Phoenix market city..
Old 14th October 2014, 18:44   #6798
Senior - BHPian

The true cost of Bangalore’s traffic gridlock is staggering
Quote:
Bangalore had a total of 800,000 workers in the IT exports and the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) sectors in 2012.

Each employee, Quartz estimates after speaking to various industry members, spends at least 2 hours every day on an average for commuting. For a 235-day working year comprising of five-day weeks, that comes to a total of about 470 hours a year per employee spent on the road.

And there it is, the annual monetary cost of traffic to Bangalore’s IT & BPO industries: $6.50 billion (Rs39,6087.41 crore).
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 19:06   #6799
Senior - BHPian

Its really bad. But then they take what employee earns per hour and the hours they spend to come at the loss.

I think people still end up working for the required hours and its a loss of their personal life that is not counted. But still lot of productivity loss.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 19:18   #6800
Senior - BHPian

This morning, as i was approaching Electronic City signal from Hosa road, i could see a Tempo traveler coming in the opposite direction in the extreme left (with head lights on!).

I could see that there was traffic in the NICE road exit bridge. Then a swift did the same; he took a u-turn and followed the Tempo traveler.

I am wondering what will they do when they reach Hosa road junction. Usually, there will be 2-3 cops standing there.

As for myself, since i was in a scooter, i used the gap in the barricade and used the service road to scoot.
Old 14th October 2014, 19:25   #6801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

I think people still end up working for the required hours and its a loss of their personal life that is not counted. But still lot of productivity loss.
I quite agree to this. It is not the productivity that is lost, but the personal life. If my shift starts at 9am, I am expected to be in office by 9am, if I travel 2 hours to be in office by 9am, that is not of a concern as much as if I log in at 11am for a 9am shift citing traffic jam for 2 hours.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 21:01   #6802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
.......It is not the productivity that is lost, but the personal life........
We lose both actually. 'Present for the whole shift' doesn't always mean 'Productive for the whole shift'. The morning commute to office takes so much out of a commuter (physically and mentally), it's almost literally impossible to concentrate or be productive for a while. Slog for the shift, meet targets/deadlines, attend endless meetings, then finally commute back home in agony again. By the time one gets home, there's hardly any energy left to do anything. Repeat ad infinitum until one drops dead or no longer needs a job, whichever happens earlier.

Now, I believe one needs to work hard to get anywhere in life, but getting to one's workplace and back home should be exceptions to that norm.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th October 2014 at 21:02.
Old 14th October 2014, 22:37   #6803
Senior - BHPian

Today morning saw close to 10 school buses going in a convoy in gnanbharathi university campus . They were very rashly driven at almost a speed of 70kmph with no concern for fellow drivers on the road, thank god they were empty at that point of time. Probably they were on their way to fill diesel at one of the pumps on Mysore road. One guy was overtaking in a curve and almost banged a car coming from the opposite direction.

I still wonder how safe are the children in these school buses. IMO parents should drop their children safely to school and pick them back instead of relying on these maniacs and it should not matter to spend time for their children even if they are on busy schedule.
Old 15th October 2014, 08:35   #6804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Today morning saw close to 10 school buses going in a convoy in gnanbharathi university campus . They were very rashly driven at almost a speed of 70kmph with no concern for fellow drivers on the road, thank god they were empty at that point of time. Probably they were on their way to fill diesel at one of the pumps on Mysore road. One guy was overtaking in a curve and almost banged a car coming from the opposite direction.

I still wonder how safe are the children in these school buses. IMO parents should drop their children safely to school and pick them back instead of relying on these maniacs and it should not matter to spend time for their children even if they are on busy schedule.
You know which school they belonged to. We should have video recorders for these issues so that it can be shown to Police or general public.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 09:26   #6805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
In my case till such time we were a family of 3, i used to drop my son every morning in the school and my wife picked him up in the evening. With the birth of second child and having shifted to a new location, i had no other option other than relying on private van drivers as the school buses do not come close to where i reside. I too second your thoughts.
Infact i am waiting for some more time till my wife learns car driving so that she can drop my first son in school putting my second one in the car.
But looking at bangalore traffic and just in case she bangs into some one, her life will be miserable. I am trying to find out other options too. May be all members in this forum should come out with ideas so that our kids reach school / home safely.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 09:39   #6806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I quite agree to this. It is not the productivity that is lost, but the personal life. If my shift starts at 9am, I am expected to be in office by 9am,
I feel folks working in IT (especially) are perhaps making a bit more money than others, but with a huge cost of their own health and well being. It was this shift work which finally helped me on deciding to take my car out. For a log-in at 1200Hrs, cabs invariably land up at the door step by 1000 to 1030Hrs. The same enthusiasm was not shown when taking the employee back. Shift ended at 0930Hrs, but the cabs left the campus only by 2200 or 2215Hrs.

As for me I am actively looking out to a Tier II city closer to my home state. I really get scared when I understand the health conditions of many IT folks in the 35-42 years age group.
Old 15th October 2014, 09:42   #6807
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Infact i am waiting for some more time till my wife learns car driving so that she can drop my first son in school putting my second one in the car.
.. I am trying to find out other options too. May be all members in this forum should come out with ideas so that our kids reach school / home safely.
Consider buying an automatic car for her, makes lot of sense for the kind of traffic seen in Bangalore.
I think one solution may work but needs a strong community of like-minded people. Form a community/group of safe & good drivers and take turns to drop off/pick-up children to and from school. Can be done in small groups of 2 to 4 kids, kind of car-pooling initiative. But it needs commitment and logistics needs to be worked out.

Last edited by NPV : 15th October 2014 at 09:44.
Old 15th October 2014, 09:43   #6808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You know which school they belonged to. We should have video recorders for these issues so that it can be shown to Police or general public.
I am planning to get a Go-Pro very soon, so that I will be able to capture all these and contribute my part to get things in place. I suggest every member in this forum should contribute a small percentage of their time in getting our traffic situation to a better position, the impact would be very strong. And even BTP expect the same from citizens because it is difficult for them to be everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
May be all members in this forum should come out with ideas so that our kids reach school / home safely.
I think you should hire a driver who is well known to you or your friends from many years who holds a valid driver's license and good amount of experience in driving. IMO persons aged between 40-50 would be a best option.
Old 15th October 2014, 13:51   #6809
Senior - BHPian

Had a weird incident today on the way to work.

I work at Bagmane tech park in CV Raman Nagar. I was entering the park and my office entrance is beside the lake and not on the main road that goes into the tech park.
So I head straight instead of a left and just as I was crossing the intersection a two wheeler who stopped and saw me approaching decides to cut across at the last minute. He was coming from the main road. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop on time and hit his bike right at his engine. I was able to reduce speed to minimum, but the momentum carried on .
Next scene was quite funny. He was a plainclothes policeman riding a Splendor going to fill petrol in a bottle without a helmet and he was balancing his bike and almost falling .
This embarrassed him quite a bit since there is a auto stand right next to this spot and he started shouting asking me to move back, which is when I noticed his khaki pants and Police shoes.
Instantly I asked him where is his helmet and are you a police. He couldnt take it and kept blabbering something saying he was going to petrol bunk close by.
Finally some auto drivers came and asked me to move my bike so he can straighten up. Finally when he was trying to move on, I went to his side and made him stop, took a couple of pictures and asked him for his station and asked him to wear a helmet being a cop and he blabbered something and took off.
Luckily no damage to my bike, not sure of his, I am sure it's not even his bike.
Luckily it was slow speed incident or I am sure he would have fallen quite hard.
Old 15th October 2014, 18:17   #6810
BHPian

A colleague just reported: Huge traffic on ORR from Marathahlly Multiplex to eMC/Total Mall, due to an AC bus malfunction.

Last edited by Twiny : 15th October 2014 at 18:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks