Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:14   #6646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

In dreams, we see people/things and places mixed up.

And in Bangalore roads too. A schoolbag as a visual warning sign.

At Hosa road signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag0003.jpg  

ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:41   #6647
BHPian

Namo is scheduled to land at Hal Airport at around 5:40 PM today. As usual, there'll be high volume of BJP supporters (ToI pegs it at 15000). A section of Old Airport road might get blocked for VIP convoy movement. People travelling on that road , please take alternate routes if possible.

Quote:
Welcome at HAL

The BJP city unit will be out in full force to welcome the PM at HAL airport on Tuesday. A makeshift pandal has been erected at the airport.

Though only 3,000 security passes will be issued, Ashoka said around 15,000 people would be present when Modi is felicitated. However, an officer in charge of security maintained that 15,000 people cannot be handled at HAL airport.

Time capsule

Tuesday

* Departure from New Delhi - 3 pm

* Arrival at HAL airport - 5.40 pm

* Felicitation, address to party workers - 6 pm

Wednesday

* ISRO telemetry: 6.45am - 9.10am

* Siddaganga Mutt: 10.05am - 10.25am

* Function at Vasanthanarasapur: 11.10am - 12.10pm

* Lunch, departure from HAL airport: 1pm

Red alert

* 20,000 people, including Congress and BJP workers, expected at Vasanthanarasapur

* 3,000 security passes to be issued by BJP for Modi's felicitation at HAL airport

* 15,000 people expected at airport

* 16,000 cops will man roads

* PM's entourage of SPG team, private secretary Sanjeev Singla, OSDs put up at Leela Palace, Royal Orchid, Hotel Capitol and Raj Bhavan

* Bullet-proof cars to be used for PM

* BBMP officials hold meeting, inspect roads PM may take, to ensure cleanliness; to check streetlights
Source : TimesofIndia
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:18   #6648
Senior - BHPian

The traffic jam will cause chaos on ORR and IRR too!

Quote:
* BBMP officials hold meeting, inspect roads PM may take, to ensure cleanliness; to check streetlights
This is funny. These people are supposed to do this every single day, as this is their job!
rohanjf is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:53   #6649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Modi will be at HAL Airport tomorrow at 5:00PM. I suggest everyone take alternate routes in the evening.

Doesn't it seem oddly coincidental that only the roads that our PM might be using tomorrow appear to be tarred? Makes me sick to my stomach. I also saw the headlamps on Old Airport Road being fixed today. So for our roads to get better we need our PM to loiter around every single road. Sigh.
The worst part of this road is the stretch between HAL main gate and the HAL police station. And most of that stretch has not even been touched and continues to offer a bone shattering ride!
In the direction towards HAL airport from domlur, they have tarred just one lane and the other lane continues to resemble the moon surface in many places as of last night. It didn't look like they would tar the other lane.
Also the new layer is so thin that I would be surprised if it is not washed out after the first drizzle!

Quote:
Also, the whole of Old Airport Road is an absolute disaster. The whole stretch is littered with posters for Modi's arrival. The whole stretch is such an eyesore.
They have also cut down a lot of tree branches that were providing shade in the name of security!

Last edited by SR71-Blackbird : 23rd September 2014 at 10:56.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:31   #6650
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was caught in a massive traffic jam near Graphite India. The bus that leaves ITPL by 6 10 PM reached Bommanahalli BP bunk at around 8 30 PM. Infact right from Vydehi hospital onwards till Graphite India, it was chaos all the way.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:47   #6651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yesterday was caught in a massive traffic jam near Graphite India. The bus that leaves ITPL by 6 10 PM reached Bommanahalli BP bunk at around 8 30 PM. Infact right from Vydehi hospital onwards till Graphite India, it was chaos all the way.
That area in Whitefield and the KR Puram area seems to have huge traffic jams pretty much every day. I have my HAM friends who commute, and it is pretty much the same story every day. Vehicles moving at a snail's pace right from Graphite India, K R Puram and all the way to Kalyan Nagar area :(.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:39   #6652
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This evening the light was green at Hoodi junction for traffic going straight from Hoodi junction towards Mahadevapura but the cop manning the junction stopped traffic and allowed traffic from coming from the industrial area to turn right onto ITPL road He let traffic go straight after about 3 minutes.
Seemed to me at first there a VIP convoy may pass, but that was not the case, I think the lights had a problem so were always green couldn't think of another reason. He was also on the phone continuously talking while gesturing with his hands for traffic to stop on one side and pass on the other.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd September 2014 at 18:46.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:28   #6653
BHPian

New low today for me while returning from office. 6km from electronic city to singasandra took 40 minutes to cover. Traffic control in this stretch is becoming hopeless these days.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:48   #6654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
The worst part of this road is the stretch between HAL main gate and the HAL police station. And most of that stretch has not even been touched and continues to offer a bone shattering ride!
The stretch before Total Mall(erstwhile Kempfort) while coming from Marathahalli is so uneven it becomes irritating to ride!
I decided to get home through Byappanahalli and Ulsoor today. Didn't want to tackle Old Airport Road after reading numbers like 3,000 and 15,000 people.

Also, every day I wonder when people will learn to have the patience to wait for people to complete their U-Turns rather than butting in front and stalling traffic across both lanes. All it requires is for one to wait for around 10 seconds tops!

A small titbit. For those who come through Marathahalli Bridge and then turn left towards Whitefield, there is an alternate route that you can take. Once you get down the bridge, take the U Turn before the signal and then take the right turn after the Riviera apartments. You'll enter a road that runs parallel to train tracks. Take the first reasonably sized right turn you can find and if you keep following the road, you'll enter ITPL Main Road.

I took around 10 minutes from Marathahalli Bridge to ITPL Main Road today. And this is after being stuck behind a very slow moving Tempo.

Please note though, roads are quite narrow. Very much adequate for bikes, but cars can get to feel a little claustrophobic.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:06   #6655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
New low today for me while returning from office. 6km from electronic city to singasandra took 40 minutes to cover. Traffic control in this stretch is becoming hopeless these days.
Thanks in no small measure to the chaotic service road entry/exit points at Hosa road/ E city 1.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:09   #6656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The stretch before Total Mall(erstwhile Kempfort) while coming from Marathahalli is so uneven it becomes irritating to ride!
This stretch has got a facelift thanks to Mr. Modi's visit. I wish he visited more often and went through some interior roads of Bangalore :-(

Quote:
A small titbit. For those who come through Marathahalli Bridge and then turn left towards Whitefield, there is an alternate route that you can take. Once you get down the bridge, take the U Turn before the signal and then take the right turn after the Riviera apartments. You'll enter a road that runs parallel to train tracks. Take the first reasonably sized right turn you can find and if you keep following the road, you'll enter ITPL Main Road.
Careful with that axe. The railway gate at Chinnappanahalli, when closed, can cause a traffic build-up that can take hours to clear. One day I took this route after dropping a colleague at Purva Riviera to return home; took me 90 minutes to get to ORR. I did a quick count; that track sees about 30-35 trains each way daily.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:23   #6657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This stretch has got a facelift thanks to Mr. Modi's visit. I wish he visited more often and went through some interior roads of Bangalore :-(
Yes. How convenient for the BBMP. Also, the street lights were being fixed last evening.

By the way, does anyone have an update on how the traffic situation was on Old Airport Road today?

Quote:
Careful with that axe. The railway gate at Chinnappanahalli, when closed, can cause a traffic build-up that can take hours to clear. One day I took this route after dropping a colleague at Purva Riviera to return home; took me 90 minutes to get to ORR. I did a quick count; that track sees about 30-35 trains each way daily.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up! I've just started my professional career. Been travelling towards Whitefield for the past 3 weeks or so. So must've got carried away at making a seemingly rare discovery.

That said, I don't remember seeing any railway crossing enroute to ITPL Main Road. Sure, there were some bad roads, but I never did encounter a Railway Crossing anywhere. Am I missing something?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 23rd September 2014 at 21:25.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:32   #6658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, I don't remember seeing any railway crossing enroute to ITPL Main Road. Sure, there were some bad roads, but I never did encounter a Railway Crossing anywhere. Am I missing something?
This is the Bangalore-Salem via Hosur/Dharmapuri line. There is a railway crossing between the overpass at Karthik Nagar over ORR and the road overbridge at Marathahalli. This gate is accessible from the ORR service road almost bang opposite ISRO. I'm surprised you noticed the railway line parallel to the road you took but not the gate which is maybe 1 km from Purva Fountain Square.
Old 23rd September 2014, 21:40   #6659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm surprised you noticed the railway line parallel to the road you took but not the gate which is maybe 1 km from Purva Fountain Square.
After the right from Purva Riviera, I barely travel a few hundred meters before I turn right. I did notice a lot of vehicles heading straight ahead, I didn't really tail them to find out. Relatively fewer take the right that I usually take.

I shall keep my eyes peeled tomorrow and look for any railway crossings I might have missed.
Old 23rd September 2014, 23:16   #6660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, does anyone have an update on how the traffic situation was on Old Airport Road today?
From what I heard from a Traffic Warden friend today. It would have taken at least two hours for the traffic to fall back in place in Old Airport road today, after the VIP movement between 1730Hrs and 1830Hrs. With Narendra Modi coming in, the state Governor and the CM were also there to receive him. And that meant more cavalcades/convoys. But I guess the roads on both sides were blocked only when the PMs convoy was moving. PM has Z+ security, so the measures would be more stringent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks