Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 08:35   #6541
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Looks like the B-i-i-i-g Speed Breaker in front of Mantri, HSR Layout, has claimed its first victim !!
My Altis is scraping the speed breakers with just one passenger inside. I cannot imagine the lower cars.

Soumya, I put it up the BTP facebook page. Can you go and post a new message there. They said BBMP has to do it but it's clear it won't happen unless multiple people complain.
Old 8th September 2014, 08:58   #6542
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the B-i-i-i-g Speed Breaker in front of Mantri, HSR Layout, has claimed its first victim !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My Altis is scraping the speed breakers with just one passenger inside. I cannot imagine the lower cars.
On day one after the road was relaid, this speed breaker had actually mellowed down from its previous avatar. Was feeling so nice, since they had done the entire stretch at a single go; and it was doing a fine job of breaking the speed. Later the speed breaker was "attended to" with this disastrous result
Old 8th September 2014, 09:03   #6543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems like the guy in Swift failed to notice the speed breaker and jumped over it > landed badly > tried to panic brake > Front Left wheel broke off, and finally the car crashed into the service lane divider.
This is a typical mistake that people do, braking even before the car lands after jumping the speed/suspension/car breaker. The momentum tries to push the car forward, so the driver shouldn't brake. The tyres need to roll.

Some driving skills one can acquire in Bangalore, cannot be acquired even in much bigger cities! Another great thing that this city has taught me is, how to do off-roading on a front-wheel drive car (I do every day, twice).
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 09:20   #6544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
And the most irritating part is that the cops who would be doing their rounds would be so insensitive and if you complain they would talk to the complainant as if he/she did invite trouble !
Spineless cops. May be the cops have links to these gangs in terms of monthly payments apart from their salaries.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 09:31   #6545
BHPian

Quote:

Soumya, I put it up the BTP facebook page. Can you go and post a new message there. They said BBMP has to do it but it's clear it won't happen unless multiple people complain.
You can try the link: http://www.ichangemycity.com/

I have found this useful as there is always a response for the complaints posted here. You can also ensourage others from your neighbourhood or communies around your area to vote-up the complaint.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:39   #6546
BHPian

Quote:
That's bad and it was inevitable. Its so huge and the car would literally take off if hit at a speed.

And there is a new one at the end of the service road connecting Iblur to Agara (on the left while going towards Silkboard from Iblur). It is completely invisible in the dark and can prove nasty.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:50   #6547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
On day one after the road was relaid, this speed breaker had actually mellowed down from its previous avatar. Was feeling so nice, since they had done the entire stretch at a single go; and it was doing a fine job of breaking the speed. Later the speed breaker was "attended to" with this disastrous result
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
You can try the link: http://www.ichangemycity.com/
I have found this useful as there is always a response for the complaints posted here. You can also ensourage others from your neighbourhood or communies around your area to vote-up the complaint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
That's bad and it was inevitable. Its so huge and the car would literally take off if hit at a speed.
And there is a new one at the end of the service road connecting Iblur to Agara (on the left while going towards Silkboard from Iblur). It is completely invisible in the dark and can prove nasty.
Did my bit this morning:

Name:  Screenshot_20140908091709.png
Views: 792
Size:  94.3 KB
Name:  Screenshot_20140908091717.png
Views: 777
Size:  78.4 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
This is a typical mistake that people do, braking even before the car lands after jumping the speed/suspension/car breaker. The momentum tries to push the car forward, so the driver shouldn't brake. The tyres need to roll.
Some driving skills one can acquire in Bangalore, cannot be acquired even in much bigger cities! Another great thing that this city has taught me is, how to do off-roading on a front-wheel drive car (I do every day, twice).
Have been doing all the permutation and combinations to avoid this. But somehow due to a road rage or to avoid the bulky bus from jumping infront of me, I tend to accelerate at times and get it scraped.
Last week, even at 1st gear I scraped it. Today I literally stopped to pass it. There were cabbies behind me honking away to frustration. But can't help.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 8th September 2014 at 09:54.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 11:08   #6548
BHPian

Speeding over unmarked humps is very common in bangalore. Now a days what I observe is that the hump height is more and sharp than the usual ones or the specs, expecting them to mellow down once the vehicles pass over them. (Only the contractor knows the quality of the tarring and based on that the height of the hump increases to accommodate the target height). Till that time all the low GC vehicles can help to reduce the height only by scraping the body.

In case of surprises, what I usually follow is to brake hard to reduce the speed as much as possible till the vehicle hits the hump and I release the brake to let it jump. Braking will reduce the GC and on the hump it will reduce the GC a lot in most of the cases it scrapes the underbody. But nothing works for a low GC vehicle and damages the oil sump. Once I had also faced the same thing in one of the quick drives (on the way to Mulbagal CCD) and Duster jumped without any drama but a poor Optra following me got a crack in the oil sump and the total bill came close to ~20K.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 8th September 2014 at 11:10.
Old 8th September 2014, 14:05   #6549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did my bit this morning:

Attachment 1284405
Attachment 1284406

Have been doing all the permutation and combinations to avoid this. But somehow due to a road rage or to avoid the bulky bus from jumping infront of me, I tend to accelerate at times and get it scraped.
Last week, even at 1st gear I scraped it. Today I literally stopped to pass it. There were cabbies behind me honking away to frustration. But can't help.
And then BTP took 'strict action' with regards to my complaint.

Name:  Screenshot_20140908140034.png
Views: 586
Size:  87.8 KB
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:21   #6550
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I went that way (and returned) twice; and scraped the underbelly of my Civic three times. There is a speedbreaker each on both carriageways. I'm not sure of the exact location, but both these are terrible ones.

There was one TN-registered I20 - a bit loaded, with 5 adults and maybe 2-3 kids - that was stuck on the speedbreaker. The adults were trying to push it over.
Old 8th September 2014, 14:50   #6551
BHPian

Guys correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there supposed to be no stopping on the Koramangla/ Domlur inner ring road let alone parking!

There are loads of vendors on the side of the road from Ejipura junction till Domlur flyover, selling everything from Carpets, Helmets, water and now even mobile eateries! This reduces the 3 lanes to 2, technically speaking 1 cause you have your autos/buses and other extremely slow moving traffic hogging the far most right lane, meant for fast moving traffic.

If i recall correctly a few years back there were no stopping signs on both sides of the roads which have mysteriously disappeared! Why cant the BBMP stop these vendors or the cops not allow stopping/parking to facilitate free moving traffic??

They can actually go one step further by painting the traffic signs on the road, such as speed limit, no turn etc cause i'm very confident most of our Bangalore road users do not look at the signs on the side of the road or know where to look for them let alone understand what most of them mean!
KevinP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 14:59   #6552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
They can actually go one step further by painting the traffic signs on the road, such as speed limit, no turn etc cause i'm very confident most of our Bangalore road users do not look at the signs on the side of the road or know where to look for them let alone understand what most of them mean!
And you think our fellow commuters look at the road?
arunphilip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 15:07   #6553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Guys correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there supposed to be no stopping on the Koramangla/ Domlur inner ring road let alone parking!
+1

One is not supposed to park his/her vehicle on the flyovers which otherwise happens in Bangalore.
Old 8th September 2014, 15:10   #6554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
And you think our fellow commuters look at the road?
well my hope is that they do look on the road..how else will they spot the tarmac between the horrendous gaping potholes and dug up roads!
KevinP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 20:44   #6555
BHPian

Not sure if my driving style is getting worse or is it the number of educated morons on the roads increasing.
8am a KL32 i20 who was a full car length behind wanting to sqeeze his way through the left at Cauvery junction towards Sankey tank. He reacted only after I put on the left indicator. Guess indicators shouldn't be used. I let him pass.
7pm HOSMAT junction, a KA02 Brown Duster gives me a lecture on maintaining enough side gap, all of this because he couldn't maintain lane discipline and came close to shaving my left mirror. I seriously wanted to avoid this guy, he was honking, weaving and hard braking all the way from Brigade Road junction to HOSMAT. Unfortunately at the signal I landed right next to him and then as the traffic started to move he wanted to enter the right most lane, all this to take the left turn at the signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks