Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:05   #6451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
A classic example of a 2 lane carriage way converted to 1.5 lanes by digging the road shoulders and then another .5 is eaten up by illegal parking leaving the bikers/cars/buses/trucks/pesky 3 wheelers'/bicycles et all use the remaining 1 lane.

Heck I cant believe this is the same road leading to ITPL and a few other tech parks where some of the top companies in the world operate from .
I always wonder what do clients go through sitting in a swanky Merc, Audi, BMW and travelling from Hotel to Company Office !!

If i was the Client, I would have sent a strong notice to the company stating if the condition of the infrastructure (roads, approach roads, tea stalls) wasn't improvised, I would reject any contract with them.
But who cares, when someone is doing the job in India for 1/10th of what they would have to spend at US or Europe.

Feels sorry for Bangalore and its greedy corporators.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:22   #6452
Senior - BHPian

The FE conscious me always coast to the stop if i see a signal glowing red; at the same time i am puzzled with people accelerating and (madly) overtaking slow moving vehicles ahead and stop with a lot of suspension dramas. How much time are you really going to save?

PS: May not be confined to Bangalore city alone..
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:29   #6453
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday at around 5.15 pm, there was a big traffic jam on Outer Ring Road stretch from Doddanekkundi to Marathahalli.

When it started raining, all the bikers around that area parked their bikes in the leftmost and rightmost lanes under the railway bridge. That left only the centre lane for all the ORR vehicles!

Add to that, one of the most idiotic exits on ORR isn't far. Many private buses come from Doddanekkundi industrial area side and take a left U-turn to go towards Marathahalli. In that process, the whole ORR traffic is blocked.

Blame the authorities, blame the people, and live on. That's all we can do I guess!
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:43   #6454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
After all the rants, some token of appreciation:

God bless the soul who took the real time responsibility and tarred the Graphite India Junction !!
I used to feel like going through an earthquake !! Now it feels more like driving on earth.
Some meeting happened between residents, pressure groups and local MLA last week, this was one of the major grouses raised. Happy that this is done finally. This rough patch was responsible for heavy congestion at GI junction.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Major roads.pdf (34.6 KB, 2386 views)

Last edited by poloman : 22nd August 2014 at 12:48.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:43   #6455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A classic example of a 2 lane carriage way converted to 1.5 lanes by digging the road shoulders and then another .5 is eaten up by illegal parking leaving the bikers/cars/buses/trucks/pesky 3 wheelers'/bicycles et all use the remaining 1 lane.

Heck I cant believe this is the same road leading to ITPL and a few other tech parks where some of the top companies in the world operate from .
So true. I'm forced to use this route these days and its a nightmare traversing the stretch from in front of zuri to the hoodi junction. Every single part of my brio has started rattling of late.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:27   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To add fuel to the already existing fire, we have the menace of the container lorries.
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:36   #6457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I always wonder what do clients go through sitting in a swanky Merc, Audi, BMW and travelling from Hotel to Company Office !!

If i was the Client, I would have sent a strong notice to the company stating if the condition of the infrastructure (roads, approach roads, tea stalls) wasn't improvised, I would reject any contract with them.
But who cares, when someone is doing the job in India for 1/10th of what they would have to spend at US or Europe.

Feels sorry for Bangalore and its greedy corporators.
Well said Mate. India is looked upon as a low cost center. At the end of the day what matters to the client is profit. It is the public who is put to hardship.
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:47   #6458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Well said Mate. India is looked upon as a low cost center. At the end of the day what matters to the client is profit. It is the public who is put to hardship.
We are falling behind on that count too, with low cost centers moving slowly but surely further east and India losing its advantage.

Sometimes it's just embarrassing taking traveling friends around Bangalore, even Indian ones. Some of the friends that know about the atrocious road tax in Karnataka (thanks no less to my constant rants about the fact) are completely shocked by the state of roads here. One of them said: "you pay nearly 16% to put up with this ****?". I was speechless and looked the other way, ashamed. Reactions of foreign visitors need not be mentioned.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd August 2014 at 15:49.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:06   #6459
BHPian

Yesterday I was joining the ORR from Agara village (Not HSR Sector 1- 27th Main road, but the adjacent road) to go towards Marathalli. There was a red signal and we did wait for a minute of so before the signal turned green with 20 second count down.
As I started moving to take a right turn at the junction, I see a long trail of vehicles coming from Jakkasandra. I had to some how make space for myself and join the mela and inched forward. A city bus driver nudged forward almost to the point of contact. I allowed him to pass and then gave him a piece of my mind.

I had a tit-a-tat with the bus driver and it was not a pleasant one.

Now the question to any drivers from that area. WIll the signal from Jakkasandra side at Agara junction stays green at the same time as when the signal from the Agara Village (HSR Layout ) side turns green?? If not I should have had the right of way as I had my signals green with 20 seconds to pass.
If both the signals are green at the same time, then I am sure every day lot of confrontations do happen at this junction between drivers coming from 2 sides at the same time.

I stay at Goa and I can vouch for the fact that Goan motorists are much much more patient, accommodating, calmer, drive slower with caution, give space to the opposite motorist and have a smile on their face. Here every one seems to be in a tearing hurry, horns blaring unnecessarily and in utterly hopeless situations (like a traffic jam), abusive, glaring and what not. The city has grown cosmopolitan with the very best available but many motorists seems to have really stooped low in attitude and behavior. Money or affluence or big cars does not necessarily maketh a man.

Last edited by ashkamath : 22nd August 2014 at 16:15.
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:10   #6460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Now the question to any drivers from that area. WIll the signal from Jakkasandra side at Agara junction stays green at the same time as when the signal from the Agara Village (HSR Layout ) side turns green?? If not I should have had the right of way as I had my signals green with 20 seconds to pass.
If both the signals are green at the same time, then I am sure every day lot of confrontations do happen at this junction between drivers coming from 2 sides at the same time.
Sorry mate. Yes and it's a genuine confusion. I use Jakkasandra road often and every time I reach this junction, I am confused to wait for main road users (The one in between bridge coming from silkboard side). And they are mostly city buses trying to stop one after another in the signal.

The signal is green probably for the Jakkasandra traffic to continue on to service lane towards Marthahalli (left side of the bridge). Actually one can continue on that service road till the end of the bridge if only the road was half decent

Bangalore has a bus stop after every signal.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:01   #6461
BHPian

What happened to the kundanahalli signal? Just passed it in one stop!! Usually it's mayhem at this time. It seems traffic free from all sides!!. Is it an ITPL holiday?!!

Last edited by luvurride : 22nd August 2014 at 19:02.
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:57   #6462
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday morning headed out with a clean, washed car and this is how it looks in the evening..

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-nooffroading.jpg

I did not get stuck in rain anywhere during my drive, did I go off-roading some place then ?
Heck no, I just drove to my work place in the (in)famous Hoodi-ITPL area and returned home in the evening. On my way back, the usual cops near Gopalan Signature Mall were staring at my car's front fender and I was wondering if something was wrong. When I got home I immediately looked at it and found it to be like this.

Speaks volumes about the kind of roads and generally the infrastructure we have in Bangalore and this in an area from where some of the top companies in the world operate from - shout out to @rjstyles, know the pain, feel the pain buddy, it's an every day ordeal!

Quote:

Last edited by NPV : 22nd August 2014 at 20:01.
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:44   #6463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On similar lines, I hope the govt relay the main road from Hoody to ITPL. It's a nightmare travelling on this stretch
Quote:
To add fuel to the already existing fire, we have the menace of the container lorries.
Ohhh boy, lemme start by shedding some tears for your pain, because I experienced it today, first hand.
I had just finished my earlier post of appreciation, and my wifey called me from ITPL. Being a Friday she was relatively free at work and wanted me to come down to ITPL to have lunch at Park Sqaure. Call it a "Business Date". So I happily went to her workplace @ ITPL from Vydehi Junction (I work nearby) > Big Bazaar > ITPL. Decent road, heavy traffic. Ok Fine.

Post lunch, I called up my team folks and said that I would go home directly and won't be coming back to work for the day. I think they cursed me to their heart's content. I took the route from ITPL > Hoodi > Graphite India >.... ORR > BTM.
B-I-I-I-G Mistake. Should have taken ITPL > Big Bazaar > Vydehi > Nallurahalli > Varthur Road > K.Halli > ORR > BTM.
I was on the right lane while crossing Big Bazaar signal, so couldn't take a left. Costed me my car, money, patience, sweat, knee pain.

Got the nasty taste of ITPL > Hoodi. Where are the roads there ? I mean left lane, right lane, no lane, everywhere there were potholes !! Scraped my baby Beat a thousand times on those b-i-i-i-g potholes, even at 1km/hr !! Half of the bolts in my car fell off probably !!

And in all this melee, saw two IT Joes' in a fist fight in front of ITPL entrance. Errr, I would say Collar-Fight.
Decent looking late 30s' folks with IT Badges, holding each other's collar and fighting. Saw a parked Swift and a Duster. Must be clash of egos, or may be an actual kiss of cars, not sure.

Took me around 45 mins from ITPL to Kundanahalli at 2:30 PM. Was stuck behind massive container trucks.
This happens when you shift a city to an Industrial area. Whitefield is absolutely hopeless. I was contemplating of buying a so called dream home there, but now have rejected it. Sarjapur is probably better with no water. I feel Electronics City is much better in sense of traffic conditions, not to mention bad roads after Wipro gate. Atleast there aren't super narrow roads with container trucks, dumpers, general trucks and huge Volvo buses. BETL is another problem best left to the regular commuters to disagree.

Phew, rant over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We are falling behind on that count too, with low cost centers moving slowly but surely further east and India losing its advantage.
Sometimes it's just embarrassing taking traveling friends around Bangalore, even Indian ones.
Philipines and Malaysia have superb Infrastructure !!! If I were a client I would have chosen those countries over India.
Here, I just imagine sitting in a swnaky car from a swanky KIAL and seeing the streets till a swanky Hotel in Whitefield. Views would be changing so fast with each Km travelled. And for sure they would be requiring a cool 2 hrs to reach their swanky hotels, because a Merc, Audi, BMW cannot sqeeze like an Indicab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yesterday morning headed out with a clean, washed car and this is how it looks in the evening..
C'mon see the positive side. You can brag that your Dzire can offroad too
I do so. The moment it becomes dirty, I say to my wifey and friends that I offroaded and how the suspension is super and how it can balance on 2/3 wheels without any 4x4 feature. LOL
Old 24th August 2014, 06:56   #6464
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw the Autocar Duster 4*4 video review on the other thread and realized that some of us Bangaloreans do it daily on our commute!
Old 26th August 2014, 07:23   #6465
Senior - BHPian

Traffic Alert:

Jam 1:
School Bus knocked down Biker, 2nd break in the median before Cosmos mall, towards CMRIT. Lots of onlookers piling on, jam build up.

Jam 2:
Graphite India junction, just after one takes turn towards SAP - Vydehi stretch. Massive fist fight between Volvo (335T) and White Etios Cab.
May be a result of brushed ego or vehicles.
Long jam build up till CMRIT on one side, the other side may be till Shell bunk or further.
No one is able to cross the fighting drivers.

Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks