Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 13:27   #6361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Here is the Bandh Advisory from my company.
Ah, if it is Pro-Kannada organisations, better to take an off or work from home - if you have that option. No offense to anyone there. You all know what I meant.

For us, we are always asked to work from home so no difference on days like this. Just hope that the power doesn't go off!!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 13:44   #6362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ah, if it is Pro-Kannada organisations, better to take an off or work from home - if you have that option. No offense to anyone there. You all know what I meant.

For us, we are always asked to work from home so no difference on days like this. Just hope that the power doesn't go off!!
Definitely that statement scared me.
I remember the bandh during Dr. Rajkumar's death. Things were scary.

I am wondering what areas to expect protests.
One of my colleagues was saying that Marathalli area would be sensitive and can see some protests. This is because the school is near Kundanahalli where the scary incident took place.
Plus, this being the IT Coridoor, elements can target this area.

I work from 6:30 - 3:30. Tommorrow, will have to stay back till 5:30 atleast for things to cool down.
I work for a banking client in my current organization (joined 7 months back) and they have not provided us laptops or WFH facilities. For the last decade in my previous organizations, I have worked for Oil and Gas Clients and have used laptop for WFH option during similar situations.

All said and done, I am in absolute support for the primary cause (crime against women) for which this bandh is being called for. Hope the Govt. wakes up and hope that my children and the society lives in a better environment.
Old 30th July 2014, 14:20   #6363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

All said and done, I am in absolute support for the primary cause (crime against women) for which this bandh is being called for. Hope the Govt. wakes up and hope that my children and the society lives in a better environment.
Well, I for one am very, very skeptical about bandhs - in this day and age. Especially if you are non-voluntarily asked to take part in it.

But this is severely OT and I will stop here.
Old 30th July 2014, 15:12   #6364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What went wrong on Old Airport Road today? I took me about an hour to reach Marathalli Junction from HAL post. Was some minister visiting us today? Truck conked off? Who else was stuck in this traffic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
As per BTP, there was some BWSSB work near Kundanahalli gate, not sure if that is what caused the traffic backup on airport road too.
Yes, Kundanahalli gate has become a mess in last couple of days. BWSSB work is slow. Lot of water at that junction & the road looks like it survived a heavy downpour. Lot of craters.

This has caused pileup upto Marathahalli junction. Than in turn had piled up way past HAL police station. For me it took 40mins in bus from Marathahalli junction to Kundanahalli gate. < 2kms in 40mins. Great going
Old 30th July 2014, 15:38   #6365
Senior - BHPian

My company has not made announcements yet. How ever my pals in the security team says that the bandh may not be success considering that no major politcal party supports Vattal Nagaraj & Co. And the police also would be out in full strength.

I do feel that Marathahalli and vicinity of Vibgyor may see some ruckus on the road. Another possibility would be to focus on IT dominated areas (so that the bandh gets some attention too). My strategy is wait and watch. Will check up all channels to see if any incidents are reported.

PS: Looks like Sri. Vattal Nagaraj lost his deposit during the last elections. Also a close aide of his at Bangalore commited suicide around 10 months back. Considering all this the bandh may be just lukewarm.
Old 30th July 2014, 15:56   #6366
BHPian

Just now got Official announcement from Office that tomorrow is a holiday
Will need to comp off sometime later, which should be ok.

I like this week. More mid week breaks like these
Old 31st July 2014, 07:25   #6367
Senior - BHPian

Autos, cars, lorries and two wheelers running here in Electronics city. How is the situation at other places?
Old 31st July 2014, 07:35   #6368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Autos, cars, lorries and two wheelers running here in Electronics city. How is the situation at other places?
I left home early and reached office at Whitefield now. Everything looks normal here as of now.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 07:53   #6369
Senior - BHPian

Drove from BTM to Whitefield.
Started at 6:45 AM; Reached at 7:15 AM
Traffic as usual. Lots of BMTC Buses choked Silk Board as usual.
Autos, Taxis are plying all along the ORR.

BMTC will take a call depending on the situation later during the day. IIRC, last time they had partially withdrawn bus services.

Kundanahalli Junction is screwed to the core. There is a pipeline that has been layed yesterday. The almost Mars Terrain has become completely Mars terrain.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:37   #6370
Senior - BHPian

As per the information I have. City is pretty much functioning normally. Around 40% of the shops/establishments remain open. And the road traffic is varying from 60% in central business district to around 30-40% in suburbs. BMTC buses were plying - including Volvo buses. So that means no much violence is expected. A couple of bike rallies are happening in various parts of the city, but looks like the police would arrange good bandobust.

From what I heard on the streets. Lots of preventive arrests had been made, so most of the hooligans would be inside the police lock ups now. Police out in full strength. Schools in city seems to have closed. Looks like the Bandh call by Shri. Vattal Nagaraj is a damp squib.

PS: We need to wait for the mid-afternoon to see if some thing really cooks up. The alertness of the police may come down.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 11:12   #6371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
BMTC buses were plying - including Volvo buses.
Does that include Vayu Vajra as well? I have someone arriving from Kochi at 12:15 PM; would like to know if they'll be stranded or not.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:17   #6372
Distinguished - BHPian

Traffic is very light, even better than a looong weekend. A few busses on the road - about 1/3 BMTC I guess.

Just back, after doing a JP Nagar - Jayanagar - Basavanagudi - Shankarpuram - NT pet - Sirsi Circle - Magadi Road & back.

No problems seen. But do avoid Town Hall / JC road area. Possibly Freedom park (city) also.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:32   #6373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have someone arriving from Kochi at 12:15 PM; would like to know if they'll be stranded or not.
I did not explicitly check for Vayu Vajra. But Volvos included pretty much any route number plying between Majestic as far as to the state border at Attibele. Tamil Nadu buses are all off road. And I did see cabs as well. So I don't think your friend would be stranded. But all the best to him .

Came back to say. There are some planned protest marches going towards the CM's official residence. So expect some ruckus or traffic blocks there.

Last edited by sachinpk : 31st July 2014 at 11:34. Reason: Route march to CMs home.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:42   #6374
BHPian

Have seen Vayu Vajra plying in the morning, shouldn't be an issue I guess
Old 31st July 2014, 11:47   #6375
Senior - BHPian

Ah, decided to go to office after all. Starting off now from Koramangala to EC. Will keep you guys posted on the situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks