Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Found this in BTP Facebook Page.

Attachment 1309821
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Back to experimentation time again for our traffic cops. The gap in the median in front of Prestige Shantiniketan gate 2 was blocked around 4pm so saw folks turning right at next signal towards EPIP and then making a U turn to head back in opposite direction to go towards Hoodi.

Every day is different and has surprises for White fielders
So this was the reason the traffic pile up at Big Bazaar signal last evening. The line of vehicles extended all the way till Vydehi Hospital at 5:45 PM.
Old 18th November 2014, 10:29   #7112
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the auto rickshaw drivers have finally smelt the coffee.
For auto users, cabs seem fare and lovely
These crooks & thugs of the auto rickshaw and taxi cab associations had tried to threaten (by strikes etc.) the Traffic Commissioner asking him to take action against big cab companies. The news reports "But their threats backfired on Wednesday when the transport department categorically stated it "cannot dictate terms to taxi operators as long as the public are benefitting." .

It is time the famous thugs & crooks gang of Bengaluru who have been having a gala time for last 20 odd years are now taught a lesson, they will never forget in life. I hope their attitude would improve dramatically when they find it tough to feed their families.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:35   #7113
Senior - BHPian

A broken down tipper in front of Dhaba/Shogun/Malgudi restaurants is blocking traffic in Marathahalli to Doddanekkundi direction. The tipper, as one can expect, is in the rightmost lane (since it is illegal for them to be driven in any other lane).

To make matters worse at around 10 AM, a first-generation Swift and a Liva were parked in the leftmost lane, and their drivers were in some kind of argument. The Swift's driver was pointing at an almost invisible scratch, probably created by the Liva. Honestly, that car must be at least 7-8 years old. Did he really manage to keep his car from scratches all these years?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 12:01   #7114
BHPian

Quote:
Time to rejoice fellas !!
I am wondering what can be done about the rogue water tankers ?
They are a neccessity, yet a menace on roads.
Stricter policing on the Tata 407 water tankers is needed too.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45103474.cms?

Quote from the news article.
Is this rule already in place? I have been seeing fewer lorries for the last couple of days in the stretch between Hebbal and KR Puram. I am not complaining though.

On the hindsight, the ORR was probably constructed for the lorries and we have now taken over that from them.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:11   #7115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Is this rule already in place? I have been seeing fewer lorries for the last couple of days in the stretch between Hebbal and KR Puram. I am not complaining though.

On the hindsight, the ORR was probably constructed for the lorries and we have now taken over that from them.
Most peripheral roads were constructed for trucks and with the such roads becoming part of the city they are used by all vehicles. Hopefully, they will build a super ring road that is to be used only for vehicles bypassing the city or trucks. Or atleast have dedicated lanes (among 10 lanes each side )
Old 18th November 2014, 12:13   #7116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering what can be done about the rogue water tankers ?
I believe its not just trucks but these vehicles also that should be banned:
  1. Tractors
  2. JCB family
  3. Any vehicle towing construction equipment (e.g. the old-fashioned tar mixer)

All these result in slower traffic in the lane, and the resultant confusion as people try to overtake them.

The article does call out an interesting point, however:
Quote:
That this could lead to a totally parallel chaos -- of the noise of trucks tipping material in the sleeping and wee hours -- is lost for the time being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Yeah, I can sympathize with these lorry guys, they're trying to drive from one city to another and a fair number would like to just bypass Bangalore, but instead get surrounded with a variety of 2/4 wheelers from the various IT parks
Old 18th November 2014, 13:56   #7117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Hopefully, they will build a super ring road that is to be used only for vehicles bypassing the city or trucks. Or atleast have dedicated lanes (among 10 lanes each side )
Still on paper after many many years :-(

Bangalore's Peripheral Ring Road (PRR)
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/43169798.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th November 2014 at 13:59. Reason: Brevity
Old 18th November 2014, 15:06   #7118
BHPian

Alert - Saw a BMTC Volvo broken down on ORR. Its after the Doddankundi (Samsung) signal towards Marthahalli just before the flyover.
Old 18th November 2014, 15:30   #7119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Alert - Saw a BMTC Volvo broken down on ORR. Its after the Doddankundi (Samsung) signal towards Marthahalli just before the flyover.
I think the Volvo's are coming to their end of life

Last tuesday, 2 volvo's broke down between Victoria road and Comand Hospital
Yesterday - one Volvo stranded at Residency Road
Old 18th November 2014, 15:41   #7120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I think the Volvo's are coming to their end of life

Last tuesday, 2 volvo's broke down between Victoria road and Comand Hospital
Yesterday - one Volvo stranded at Residency Road
I don't think the volvo buses are nearing the end of their lives. It is just that the BMTC is not maintaining them properly. Look at the way they handle their fleet of Ashok leyland / Tata buses. These buses are able to sustain despite poor maintenance from BMTC courtesy their rigid and robust design which is not so in the case of Volvo buses.
Volvo buses require periodic maintenance which IMO BMTC is not carrying out.
Old 18th November 2014, 16:22   #7121
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just received a message from my office staff that "that there will be work starting on the median at KR Puram Hanging bridge starting 22nd Nov 2014. Due to this there are traffic changes near Graphite India, Hoodi junction, Vydehi hospital etc...".

Here are the details of traffic diversions and alternative roads..
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-update.jpg  

Old 18th November 2014, 17:18   #7122
Senior - BHPian

^^^ BTP had invited for comments and suggestions from civilians in their facebook page. I hope many of the regular Team-BHP-ians who ply this route would have given their suggestions as well.

For one thing (which kinds of bugs me) is that for any such initiatives by BTP, the comments put up by people would be on totally different issues. It kinds of defeats the purpose. BTP proposes a new one way, a smart comment would be to penalise auto rickshaw drivers, make them cry and run away. BTP warns about possible road blocks due to VIP movements, comments would be on why BTP should do that, and even BTP should refuse to make the bandobust. Folks don't even know how an organisation like the police works, and what are their powers and limitations.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:37   #7123
BHPian

One reason for the proposed median closing at KRPuram, is constructing an underpass to replace the tunnel nearby (used by two-wheelers). The underpass construction is a welcome move and will ease congestion and travel time, in reaching ORR, for people living in KRPuram. But I do emphatize with return traffic put to misery!
Old 18th November 2014, 17:51   #7124
Senior - BHPian

Urban commuters

Starting by about 7.30 pm from kodigehalli ( near Hebbal) to reach Bommanahalli.

Should I take ORR or the city roads(mekhri circle, MG road, brigade road) ?
Old 18th November 2014, 17:58   #7125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Just received a message from my office staff that "that there will be work starting on the median at KR Puram Hanging bridge starting 22nd Nov 2014. Due to this there are traffic changes near Graphite India, Hoodi junction, Vydehi hospital etc...".
Are you sure some work will be carried out near KR Puram bridge/Railway station? From the image it looks like median in front of Bhoruka Tech Park is to be closed. Only reference to KR Puram is the road going towards KR Puram bridge in the illustration.

Most Viewed