Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 19:25   #6961
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Wasn't Opera also an open air theater?
Nope that's a heritage building hiusing a regular movie theater but wasn't an open air theater.

Last edited by NPV : 29th October 2014 at 19:26.
Old 29th October 2014, 20:21   #6962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The open air theater is most likely the one on Bannerghatta road just before Dairy Circle. The place now has an office building I think its IBM.
Yes, the place where Subramanya Arcade is was drive-in theatre. I still remember the giant concrete screen being demolished in early 90s.
Back then there was no car. Now there is no theatre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
2. The road (KG Road??) leading from Hudson Circle to Majestic area was two way - and I felt it was really a very wide road.
All most all roads were 2-ways then. BTS (now BMTC) buses followed the exact roads for to & fro journeys.

Last edited by msdivy : 29th October 2014 at 20:24.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 20:59   #6963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Bellandur flyover strikes again. Indica(b) climbed side railing. Same spot as previous accidents. Both front and back wheels are beyond the start of the railing suggesting the speed it travelled. Traffic piling up and many onlookers were taking pictures.
Vroom...
DmC.
One more count today. Same spot, same story.
But this time, its a hatch. Both front and back wheels are beyond the start of the railing. Saw this at 7pm today evening.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:04   #6964
BHPian

I guess users of Kanakapura Road - especially the stretch from JP Nagar Ring Road Signal - till Metro - would already been feeling about being in Mars. Full of craters, pot holes, diggings, etc. To top it all, yesterday evening they have dug up exactly at the junction of JP Nagar Ring Road - and what a chaos it was. This, for the road being called among the "Big 10" in Bangalore !! Sad !
Old 30th October 2014, 08:26   #6965
BHPian

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=794320650635610Came across this video on FB of a divider at Banerghatta road,apparetnly this is a known spot of these issues the culprit is lack of indication of the start of a divider
Old 30th October 2014, 09:53   #6966
BHPian

A BMTC Marco Polo bus has broken down just a few meters before Iblur junction on East bound Sarjapur/ORR road at around 8:35 PM. Expect traffic backups at least till HSR Layout during this morning rush hour as a result of this.

-- Wind
Old 30th October 2014, 10:01   #6967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masin4 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=794320650635610Came across this video on FB of a divider at Banerghatta road,apparetnly this is a known spot of these issues the culprit is lack of indication of the start of a divider
Few observations from the video,
1. Badly lit road.
2. No proper marking at the start of the divider. I do see some reflectors on top of divider.
3. Looks like both were not wearing seat belts and hence they hit their head to front windscreen.
4. People driving in high-beam. At least they can lower the beam when there is oncoming vehicle.

Yes, the first two are the problems of concerned department. And which is out of our reach. No number of complaints will solve the problem.

They could have atleast buckled-up. They would have been saved from head injuries.

Thought: Why we cannot have all the street lights of solar powered ?
Old 30th October 2014, 10:17   #6968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Thought: Why we cannot have all the street lights of solar powered ?
The first problem that comes to mind is theft of solar panels. :-)
Old 30th October 2014, 10:58   #6969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
A BMTC Marco Polo bus has broken down just a few meters before Iblur junction on East bound Sarjapur/ORR road at around 8:35 PM.
There has not been a day when a BMTC bus has not broken down in the Eastern or South Eastern part of Bangalore . Looks like maintenance of the buses are way too poor. And once again it is the Traffic Police Constable on the road who needs to flash a message to the control room indicating the break down, and control room officials put pressure on the BMTC folks to send in the repair van or tow truck. BMTC (and its staff) seems to be only too happy to see their buses breaking down. After all traffic blocks etc. are some one else's head ache.
Old 30th October 2014, 10:59   #6970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The first problem that comes to mind is theft of solar panels. :-)
In that case, even the street light itself can get robbed in India.

Edit:
Found this article published on October 2011

Not making light of energy conservation
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle2539875.ece

Not sure if there is any further update on it.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 30th October 2014 at 11:03.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:14   #6971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masin4 View Post
Unfortunately, this is a widespread occurrence. I saw a new Tata Nano, fresh with all ribbons and works, run astride an unmarked median on Kamaraj Road (from MG Road towards Commercial Street). The unfortunate owner saw multiple tires blow out and probably also had extensive suspension repair damage to deal with.

Similar instances in front of the Frazer Town police station. With friendly vendors occupying all the pavements and interested shoppers parking haphazardly, crowding out most of a small lane, I've seen unsuspecting vehicles repeatedly climb the median.

The markers for such medians, if they're ever replaced, are immediately stolen or "taken out" by an errant vehicle.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:24   #6972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
A BMTC Marco Polo bus has broken down just a few meters before Iblur junction on East bound Sarjapur/ORR road at around 8:35 PM. Expect traffic backups at least till HSR Layout during this morning rush hour as a result of this.

-- Wind
Massive Jams till about 10.30 AM all way up to HSR/ Mantri Sarovar Apartments
-- Sunil
Old 30th October 2014, 12:43   #6973
BHPian

I'm surprised nobody has spoken about BTP's new Rickshaw Lane concept. In short, it's a foolish idea that has been executed in an even more foolish manner resulting in wastage of road space and can prove to be potentially dangerous too!

I'm cruising on Anand Rao circle flyover and overtaking a BMTC bus hogging the middle lane and bent 20 degrees to the left. All of a sudden, bang in front of me in a barricade with a board "Auto Lane". Standing right next to it is a cop fiddling with his cellphone and he doesn't even notice that him and his barricades placed on the fast lane surprised me! I slow down, let the BMTC bus go and maneuver to my left slowly. These barricades have been placed all the way up to KR Circle. The same is noticed in Kasturba road too, in front of Kanteerava stadium. What's funny is all the autos are in the normal non-auto lane along with the rest of us and our cops are busy fiddling on their phones!

God save this city!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 12:54   #6974
Senior - BHPian

Today was a surprisingly smooth travel from me to office from Doddanekundi to Manyata. Was able to cover this distance in about 25 minutes flat and did not see too many vehicles on the road, however saw a lot of buses and some of them were empty and racing with each other to pick up passengers. I wonder why this sudden reduction in traffic for the day?
Old 30th October 2014, 13:09   #6975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I'm surprised nobody has spoken about BTP's new Rickshaw Lane concept. In short, it's a foolish idea that has been executed in an even more foolish manner resulting in wastage of road space and can prove to be potentially dangerous too!
It is an idea that was tested & tried when Sangliana was Police commissioner. The next police commissioner promptly removed all these lanes.

In a 6 lane divided road, 2 lanes are reserved for autos. Does auto traffic warrant a dedicated lane? Sometimes an auto without passenger enters this lane and is slow looking out at potential customers. So rest of the autos avoid this lane, else they will be stuck behind this also auto. The whole purpose is defeated and 2 lanes is rendered useless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks