Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2015, 07:48   #8461
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I keep driving on this stretch at least once a month as we have another office here and we colleagues refer to this as Niagara Falls of Bangalore when the lake is in full glory and flowing!
Good one - Niagara Falls!
Years ago I remember there was one more example of waste water with foam (probably part of the erstwhile Vrishabhavati river that became a storm water drain ?) on Mysore Road somewhere near Kengeri, it was visible from the road and we used to call it "RV Falls" as it was close to RV College
What's the status of that one, still around or worse ?
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 08:08   #8462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Years ago I remember there was one more example of waste water with foam (probably part of the erstwhile Vrishabhavati river that became a storm water drain ?) on Mysore Road somewhere near Kengeri, it was visible from the road and we used to call it "RV Falls" as it was close to RV College
Myself being an ex RVCE graduate (Anil Kumble was my senior, I Joined in 1992 while he passed out in 1991), we used to call it vrishbavathi falls or RV falls.
I cannot recall countless accidents that have taken place on that stretch wherein people even fell into the falls.
Old 26th June 2015, 08:13   #8463
BHPian

Quote:
It is still around and is not as smelly as before.
The first 10 years my life was spent in Guddadahalli on Mysore Road. I used to think its a clean river and have played 100s of time in Vrishabhavati River (drainage)
I used to wonder why my Teacher, Mom, Dad used to beat me up when ever they came to know I played in Vrishabhavati. Have to admit though, I started learning swimming in there.

Regards
Old 26th June 2015, 08:55   #8464
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Why road widening is useless in Bangalore ?
Yesterday I noticed that the widened portions on Old Madras Road between the Suranjan Das Road signal and the Benniganahalli Railway underbridge have finally been asphalted. For the last few months they were just 'metalled' with stones and being rough and uneven there weren't too many takers for parking on them but now once the work has completed, the stretch opposite Big Bazaar, Gopalan Mall (in front of RMZ infinity) has become a complete illegal parking zone. I even saw some cars double parked There are quite a few "No Parking" sign boards but they are just not adhered to.
Old 26th June 2015, 09:18   #8465
BHPian

Quote:
Why road widening is useless in Bangalore ?
One more example is the HSR layout 27th main. The road was a 2 lane road with unpaved shoulders where the vehicles were parked. When it was 2 lane, people used to park in such a way that the vehicles did not block the traffic in the paved road. Then sometime last year the entire stretch was asphalted and converted into a 4 lane road. Now people have use the paved portion to park their cars. That in itself is not a big deal but people started parking diagonally instead of parallel parking along the curb. Now the parked vehicles have started eating into the main carriageway space as a result of which there is hardly enough width for 2 vehicles to pass in some stretches.
There is absolutely no civic sense in any class of people. All everyone cares about is about themselves and their convenience. Other people's convenience be damned.
I have come to realize that nothing will change even if the entire population becomes educated and become aware. So roll with it I guess should be the motto.
The funny thing is that there is a police station on the same road and still nobody cares.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 10:04   #8466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
One more example is the HSR layout 27th main. The road was a 2 lane road with unpaved shoulders where the vehicles were parked. When it was 2 lane, people used to park in such a way that the vehicles did not block the traffic in the paved road. Then sometime last year the entire stretch was asphalted and converted into a 4 lane road. Now people have use the paved portion to park their cars. That in itself is not a big deal but people started parking diagonally instead of parallel parking along the curb. Now the parked vehicles have started eating into the main carriageway space as a result of which there is hardly enough width for 2 vehicles to pass in some stretches.
There is absolutely no civic sense in any class of people. All everyone cares about is about themselves and their convenience. Other people's convenience be damned.
I have come to realize that nothing will change even if the entire population becomes educated and become aware. So roll with it I guess should be the motto.
The funny thing is that there is a police station on the same road and still nobody cares.
I too have observed the same. The problem worsens especially when a sedan or SUV is parked diagonally. This is pure common sense which people should possess.
As far as cops are concerned, nobody here gives a damn thought about them leave alone respect them.
Old 26th June 2015, 10:24   #8467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Myself being an ex RVCE graduate (Anil Kumble was my senior, I Joined in 1992 while he passed out in 1991), we used to call it vrishbavathi falls or RV falls.
I cannot recall countless accidents that have taken place on that stretch wherein people even fell into the falls.
Let us put it this way. The local people have a much more disgusting name for it that they usually abbreviate to "SKT". This is from a 2011 fb post by my good friend (who has been teaching for a long time in a local college and is a prominent local quizzer / quizmaster) -

"One of my students comes from the village of Kambipura, off Mysore Road. The Vrishabhavathi flows through the village marking its fields with the black kiss of sewage. When it rains like mad, as it did yesterday, the river brings bolts of fabric, crates of biscuits, bicycles, and the occasional dead body. The younger villagers, being dudes, don't refer to the river by its mouthful of a name. They simply call it SKT."

SKT stands for "sarva k***i theertha" where k***i is the hindi word for a door latch, and "sarva" and "theertha" have much the same meanings as in hindi / sanskrit - "everybody" and "water". k***i of course has a more disgusting meaning in kannada. Commonly associated with "what villagers and slum dwellers generally do along a river bank in the early mornings .."

If you played in that water I am not at all surprised your teachers / parents beat you

Last edited by hserus : 26th June 2015 at 10:36.
Old 26th June 2015, 13:32   #8468
Senior - BHPian

Can you guys upvote the complaint that I have raised on IChangeMyCity - http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...adiwala-market

This is asking to tarmac the Madiwala market road - what with more traffic flowing through it, it is a pain to traverse the craters on that road.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 13:44   #8469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Can you guys upvote the complaint that I have raised on IChangeMyCity - http://www.ichangemycity.com/bangalo...adiwala-market

This is asking to tarmac the Madiwala market road - what with more traffic flowing through it, it is a pain to traverse the craters on that road.
Hey thanks for that link. It would also be helpful to ask the vendors to face inwards or something. There are lots of "drive in" kind of shoppers. They don't get down from their car , block the traffic and do their shopping without getting down. The ironical thing is that there are lots of cops around but no one is paying attention to this problem. I have already given this point on the link you have given , maybe others using this road can also ask this.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 13:51   #8470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hey thanks for that link. It would also be helpful to ask the vendors to face inwards or something. There are lots of "drive in" kind of shoppers. They don't get down from their car , block the traffic and do their shopping without getting down. The ironical thing is that there are lots of cops around but no one is paying attention to this problem. I have already given this point on the link you have given , maybe others using this road can also ask this.
Yeah good point. Too many cars even parked near the center median! All gone for shopping - though I think that has reduced now. Another problem is the bus-stop.
Old 27th June 2015, 10:12   #8471
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove from Indiranagar to Rajajinagar 19th Main (near Navarang Theatre) last evening, a distance of 17Km and it took 1hr 45 minutes
Got stuck near Indian Express, Cunningham Road for more than 30 minutes, extremely slow moving traffic - only reason was the ongoing road works with the right side of the road dug up for quite a distance
After that, the usual slowness near Mantri Mall, Malleswaram to Rajajinagar via Harishchandra ghat was bumper to bumper ultra slow!
On the return leg, it took just about 30 minutes started at 9.30pm and reached home by 10pm.
Old 27th June 2015, 11:19   #8472
BHPian

Morons parking in bus-bay at st. Marks road. Picture taken today morning. During peak hours its bound to create traffic jam. No amount of awareness can enlighten few brainless souls.Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1435384146.820902.jpg
Old 27th June 2015, 13:38   #8473
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone here who travels from Kadubeesinahalli to Gunjur? Have to go to gunjur to meet a friend and was planning to get there via panatur but remember reading somewhere that the road condition was bad. Any inputs?
Old 27th June 2015, 15:02   #8474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Anyone here who travels from Kadubeesinahalli to Gunjur? Have to go to gunjur to meet a friend and was planning to get there via panatur but remember reading somewhere that the road condition was bad. Any inputs?
There are a 2 options you can take :

1. A little longer route ; road condition is good :

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-3.jpg

2. Shorter route ; some section (where you take right turn after crossing railway line of bellandur station) is not tarred :

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-4.jpg

hope this helps.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 27th June 2015 at 15:08.
Old 27th June 2015, 15:33   #8475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

2. Shorter route ; some section (where you take right turn after crossing railway line of bellandur station) is not tarred
Planning to take the shorter route as marathalli - varthur can be hell during weekend evenings. How bad is the not tarred section? Crater like potholes or gravel mud and stones?

Most Viewed