Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 08:42   #8566
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I posted a link to that post with the Hoysala jeep driving on the wrong side of the road to the btp Facebook page

They're usually quite responsive on that, let's see
Old 13th July 2015, 08:49   #8567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Tweet that to the traffic police twitter ids. Maybe something might come out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I posted a link to that post with the Hoysala jeep driving on the wrong side of the road to the btp Facebook page
BTP would reply saying provide Vehicle Reg No. so that they can raise violation. The picture should capture the vehicle registration number.

Just the Hoysala Vehicle No. won't suffice their interests to raise a violation against their own.
Old 13th July 2015, 10:26   #8568
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

I hope you were not driving when taking the picture Or you had a dashcam if you were driving. If not, remember that this just gives them another reason to put you at fault too.
Old 13th July 2015, 11:18   #8569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I hope you were not driving when taking the picture Or you had a dashcam if you were driving. If not, remember that this just gives them another reason to put you at fault too.
I wasn't driving, of course. This junction is manned by two or three cops in the peak hours. I was waiting for their signal.
Old 14th July 2015, 07:50   #8570
Senior - BHPian

Huge dumper truck broken down on the fast lane between Kadubeesanahalli Underpass and approaching Marathalli EZone (Carriageway towards Marathalli > KR Puram side).
Many vehicles getting caught by surprise, including me ! I was following a Volvo and it suddenly moved to the left, leaving me surprised to see the dumper of me in front. Caused a panic brake situation.

Be very careful. Stick to middle / left lane after crossing Kadu-underpass.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 09:20   #8571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Huge dumper truck broken down on the fast lane between Kadubeesanahalli Underpass and approaching Marathalli EZone (Carriageway towards Marathalli > KR Puram side).
Many vehicles getting caught by surprise, including me ! I was following a Volvo and it suddenly moved to the left, leaving me surprised to see the dumper of me in front. Caused a panic brake situation.

Be very careful. Stick to middle / left lane after crossing Kadu-underpass.
Thanks for this heads up. Stuck to the extreme left and was able to avoid a last minute lane change. truck was still there at 8.30 AM and has started to cause a mini jam.
Old 14th July 2015, 09:51   #8572
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A new development in the last 2 weeks on the Hoodi road from Hoodi junction towards ATM junction/IFB factory:
after the Whitefield traffic plan was effected several months ago, almost all the breaks in the median/divider were blocked by using concrete blocks and cementing them. Now at least 4 of them have been broken and removed quite cleanly so don't suspect any foul play by locals.
This allows for more places to criss-cross on the 4 lane one way Probably due to presence of several industrial sheds that have long trucks moving in and out to load/unload materials. Earlier many of these trucks would go on the wrong side to reach their destinations, hope this stops now with more options for them to turn.

Last edited by NPV : 14th July 2015 at 09:53.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:55   #8573
BHPian

Guys, be careful where you are parking. Punishment is not limited to paying for parking violation. Today's ToI article:

Quote:
Parked on footpath? Face FIR, visit court

Wrong parking? You can't get away by coughing up a fine of Rs 100 anymore. Cops have come with a new plan to deter violators: Invoke Section 283 of the Indian Penal Code which talks about punishment for causing danger or obstruction in public way or line of navigation.
If your vehicle is found parked on the footpath or anywhere else obstructing traffic, you will be fined Rs 100 and vehicle handed over to the law and order police. As Section 283 is cognizable, it'll require cops to file an FIR and send you to court. Over the past 12 days, 536 people have been booked under this section. The drive will especially concentrate on the newly constructed TenderSURE roads. That the fine amount under this section is limited to Rs 200 doesn't worry cops. As any case booked will be a cognizable offence, the defaulter can get back his vehicle only after showing up in court.

In our city , time has more value than money . There fore, fining someone with time is a better deterrent,“ said a traffic police officer.

MA Saleem, additional commissioner of police (traffic), said TenderSURE roads will be under close watch to track parking violations.“Since these roads have been inaugurated, many cases of wrong parking have been noticed. We want some deterrence among drivers who park on footpaths,“ he said.

COGNIZABLE OFFENCE

It means a police officer has the authority to make an arrest without a warrant; also, an investigation can be initiated with or without court's permission. Police can file a First Information Report (FIR) only in cases of cognizable offences.

SECTION 283

Danger or obstruction in public way or line of navigation -Whoever, by doing any act, or by omitting to take order with any property in his possession or under his charge, causes danger, obstruction or injury to any person in any public way or public line of navigation, shall be punished with fine which may extend to 200 rupees.

source: ToI
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:55   #8574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, be careful where you are parking. Punishment is not limited to paying for parking violation. Today's ToI article
Thanks for sharing this!

Quote:
Wrong parking? You can't get away by coughing up a fine of Rs 100 anymore. Cops have come with a new plan to deter violators: Invoke Section 283 of the Indian Penal Code which talks about punishment for causing danger or obstruction in public way or line of navigation.
This made me swear out loud. In the office no less. Can we please get these clowns to also extend this to:
  1. People who store construction material (sand, bricks, etc.) on the road and pavements, simply because they're shoe-horning some large structure into a tiny and inaccessible?
  2. Pushcart vendors and pavement vendors who occupy driving and walking space on roads and pavements?
  3. Vehicles (often autos and taxis) who block bus bays? And same vehicles double-parking while loitering for fares.
  4. This is not in the city, but is a perennial highway terror - lorries pulled over on the side of a highway with a little green twig to serve as warning.

To the police, I say: Grow a pair. Don't target only the car and bike crowd simply because they're more likely to pay up and move on, instead of kicking up a ruckus.

Last edited by arunphilip : 14th July 2015 at 13:05.
arunphilip is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 13:05   #8575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thanks for sharing this!

This made me swear out loud. In the office no less. Can we please get these clowns to also extend this to:
This is not in the city, but is a perennial highway terror - lorries pulled over on the side of a highway with a little green twig to serve as warning.
Grow a pair. Don't target only the car crowd simply because they're more likely to pay up and move on, instead of kicking up a ruckus.
I would like to add one more:
  1. Some clowns stopping traffic and creating huge blocks on a national highway everyday. I have a clip somewhere on my dashcam, but I doubt any good will come of it. More FIRs need to be filed against the cops themselves, but in a related story: FIR kiosk gets mostly petty complaints
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 14:27   #8576
BHPian

Few situations related to traffic that I find slightly strange -

1. Some junctions are easy to navigate through when there are no traffic cops at the junction.
2. Some junctions that don't have signals / cops, someone from the public starts to manage the traffic. While I can appreciate their efforts, I find that strange, plus doubt if that's the right way.
Old 15th July 2015, 10:00   #8577
Senior - BHPian

I was driving behind a tipper lorry loaded with sand today morning. It was driving down Sarjapur road in a stiff breeze - with no tarpaulin covering the sand load in the back. So the sand was being blown about by the wind, a lot.

My car is all sandy now - and I thank god I wasn't on a two wheeler and had my car windows closed. If some of that sand had got in my eyes when driving I'd have crashed for sure.
Old 15th July 2015, 11:38   #8578
Senior - BHPian

Horrible, horrible jam at Marathahalli today.

Was perfectly stationary on Marathahalli Bridge for a good 20 minutes. Reason was shabby and horrible work by BWSSB on the road leading to Nallurahalli. Leaving barely about 8ft of motorable road at one point of the road. This bottleneck affected traffic all the way upto Marathahalli Bridge junction.
Old 15th July 2015, 13:56   #8579
Distinguished - BHPian

We should give away awards to the people behind the road laying work in Bommasandra Industrial area.
Work is underway on a 750mtr stretch and the road is completely closed from Monday evening.
As my workplace is on this road, I was seeing the progress.

Monday evening:
They cleaned the road by blowing dust. I thought the road will be done by the time we come back the next day

Tuesday Morning: The road was blocked just below the Flyover near D-Mart. Early in the morning around 8, they were allowing vehicles but after 9AM they stopped that too This created a huge pileup of close to half a kilometre.
All our company employee vehicles were parked in any place that was available in and around and people walked to office from there
By afternoon, the road had one layer of tarmac and While leaving office in the evening, we thought that the work will be done and traffic would be restored by today.

Today, Wednesday Morning: Yesterday's story repeated and when we were walking we saw that there was no progress on the work compared to the last evening.

Now whoever is the mastermind behind this roadwork should be given awards for planning it so well and laying roads when there is the highest people movement.
for a 750mtr road, hey have taken 3 days and I don't know if they will complete it today also or not.
Old 15th July 2015, 16:56   #8580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
Few situations related to traffic that I find slightly strange -

1. Some junctions are easy to navigate through when there are no traffic cops at the junction.
2. Some junctions that don't have signals / cops, someone from the public starts to manage the traffic. While I can appreciate their efforts, I find that strange, plus doubt if that's the right way.
One more , someone from a corporate bus / school bus / truck gets down and manages the traffic such that his / her / their vehicle is out of the block and they just leave with their freed vehicle.
My daily ride home takes me through Bellandur junction and the cop(s) who manage that junction will become a patient soon. Its completely mental with traffic going in all possible directions. I pity those who manage traffic. They should be awarded for just standing there and trying.

Most Viewed