Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2015, 07:22   #8581
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Most of the Notorious potholes between the Graphite India Junction and IGate/Dell Junction (front of SAP Labs) was covered up this morning I believe.

Most for these potholes where on the extreme left (between SAP & KPTO) for years now and were never covered.

The potholes now have gone from a ditch to a mountain thanks to the workmanship of BBMP

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 07:43   #8582
Senior - BHPian

They must have thought vehicles are overspeeding a lot on that stretch and so created a lot of instant new speedbreakers.

Is there an award for road design we can nominate BBMP for?

At least the loose stones at the bottom of the potholes won't scratch my car underbody and bash my wheel rim / covers every time I go over them

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Most of the Notorious potholes between the Graphite India Junction and IGate/Dell Junction (front of SAP Labs) was covered up this morning I believe.

Most for these potholes where on the extreme left (between SAP & KPTO) for years now and were never covered.

The potholes now have gone from a ditch to a mountain thanks to the workmanship of BBMP

Regards
Old 16th July 2015, 08:10   #8583
Senior - BHPian

Folks
One can expect a major traffic jam at the sarjapur junction leading to marathahalli as one side of the road has been blocked for laying pipes.
Old 16th July 2015, 09:12   #8584
BHPian

Koramangala: Traffic is slightly blocked because of a truck break down. It is right in between Oasis mall and Sony signal (just before Sapphire)
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1437017970722.jpg
Old 16th July 2015, 13:19   #8585
Senior - BHPian

Not a rant on traffic but an update which I saw in the papers today. Seems like govt has woken up and is trying to implement signal free corridors. Dont know when these will be completed though.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-govt.jpg  

Old 16th July 2015, 13:33   #8586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Not a rant on traffic but an update which I saw in the papers today. Seems like govt has woken up and is trying to implement signal free corridors. Dont know when these will be completed though.
They planned this few months back, no idea what is the progress or timeline.

Meanwhile, BBMP Proposes 45 More TenderSURE Roads to Government.
Quote:
“There was a complaint about wider footpaths and narrower roads. We have decreased the width of footpaths on Richmond Road and other roads,” Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy said.

He, however, was defensive on the need for wider footpaths. “In the city, close to 50 lakh people commute in BMTC buses, which means they are all pedestrians. We need to think of them and footpaths cannot be narrowed to a larger extent,” he said.

As per the list available with Express, BBMP has identified 45 roads which extend up to around 78.35 km.

The names include Queen’s Road, Infantry Road, Rajaram Mohan Roy Road, Magrath Road, Banaswadi Main Road, Avenue Road, Gandhinagar First Main Road, Indiranagar 100 Feet Road, Ali Askar Road, K H Road, Kumarakrupa Road, Palace Road, Cubbon Road, all roads connecting N R Square, N R Road and Raj Bhavan Road.
Graphic on pedestrian experience on roads.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_b2mye9sciaaayz1.jpg

Last edited by msdivy : 16th July 2015 at 13:34.
Old 16th July 2015, 14:15   #8587
Distinguished - BHPian

^ I would have been more happy to see metro rail proposal instead of signal free corridor for the above mentioned areas. Even after signal free corridors come in to place, the same roads with more traffic will have to be used. Metro could have taken off some traffic from the road instead.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 16th July 2015 at 14:16.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 15:11   #8588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Did not understand which is that signal free corridor no:2 , Old Madras road, starting from Mekhri circle to NH 648. Does anybody have any clue which road they are referring to?
Old 16th July 2015, 15:48   #8589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^ I would have been more happy to see metro rail proposal instead of signal free corridor for the above mentioned areas. Even after signal free corridors come in to place, the same roads with more traffic will have to be used. Metro could have taken off some traffic from the road instead.
Absolutely agree with this. Why are we trying to contain the problem when we can fix it? I have recently started to take the Metro from Bypanahalli to MG Road whenever I am late in office and my God, it is such a welcome change.

Takes me dot 15 mins to reach MG Road and 15 mins more to my home. I really hope and pray that the highly educated planners devote more time on trying to connect all of Bangalore as early as possible. Helps everyone, except maybe the Auto Companies.
Old 16th July 2015, 15:52   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, makes sense to add in more public transport routes or methods. How blind are we?
Old 16th July 2015, 16:20   #8591
Team-BHP Support

There will never be enough roads no matter how wide or narrow, so why bother fixing an 'unfixable'? Mass Transit is the way to go, and they should really divert all attention and resources to finishing and expanding the Metro.

Won't happen anytime soon, but one can still hope.
Old 16th July 2015, 16:24   #8592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Silk Board to Hebbal metro is planned and that is in Phase 3. It might be another 15 years to travel this metro line. Till the the road infrastructure must support the traffic. Anyway road is required as a complementary to metro infrastructure.
Old 16th July 2015, 16:26   #8593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Did not understand which is that signal free corridor no:2 , Old Madras road, starting from Mekhri circle to NH 648. Does anybody have any clue which road they are referring to?
  • NH648 has 3 digits. Which means it is a branch of a highway. in this case it is the 6th branch of NH48
  • NH48 is an even number which means it is a longitudinal highway (North-South Highway)
  • 48 is relatively a big number which means it is on the western half of the country as North-south highways increase numbers from East to West.
  • AFAIK, there is only one longitudinal highway in Karnataka, which is the Pune-Bangalore Highway. So this is NH48 (Old number NH7)

That's about decoding. Coming to this article, Looking at the areas discussed, NH648 must be the road which connects The International Airport (Hyderabad road) to Nelamangala( Pune-Bengaluru Road)

Edit: Looking at Google Maps I realise that NH648 is the new number for NH207

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 16th July 2015 at 16:30.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 17:20   #8594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Beats me. I do not have a clue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
They planned this few months back, no idea what is the progress or timeline.
As per the report they are laying the foundation stone to it. So we might see some work being started

Quote:
+1 to this. Infact they should have connected all the IT corridors in the first phase itself as it would have definitely improved the traffic! I still cant understand how they approved to build the so called elevated highway to EC instead of a metro! Either there was no planning at all or it may have been something else.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 16th July 2015 at 17:28.
Old 17th July 2015, 09:11   #8595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
[list]

Looking at the areas discussed, NH648 must be the road which connects The International Airport (Hyderabad road) to Nelamangala( Pune-Bengaluru Road)

Edit: Looking at Google Maps I realise that NH648 is the new number for NH207
The thirumalshetty halli they mentioned comes somewhere near Whitefield, on NH207 (NH648) as per google maps. So where is this connection between Mehkri circle and Thirumalshetty, that too in 15.8 kms!

Most Viewed