Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2015, 17:06   #8536
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Doddenakundi total mall junction also becoming like this, with almost 9 entry and exit points .
One should be extremely careful not to get hit/scratched/rear ended and what not.
At least there is a signal and cops around most of the times , at least on working days. The beauty of Bellandur is that although there are 3 cops and two ORRCA volunteers its just organised chaos at its best.
Old 6th July 2015, 22:34   #8537
Senior - BHPian

Today morning was chaos on sarjapur road - just past the wipro campus (just before the berries restobar) a bbmp blue and white had broken down and stood in the middle of the road - festooned with branches the way local bus drivers and truckers do to mark a broken down vehicle. That's in addition to the normal school time rush on that road :(
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 17:17   #8538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
a bbmp blue and white had broken down and stood in the middle of the road - festooned with branches the way local bus drivers
Did you mean BMTC instead of bbmp?
Hopefully, bbmp doesn't get to run the public transport in Bangalore any time soon!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 22:31   #8539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Hopefully, bbmp doesn't get to run the public transport in Bangalore any time soon!
Good catch. I actually spent 10 min thinking on what a bbmp blue and white was . Then let it go thinking that it must be some new fancy thing BBMP has wasted money on (Like the Automatic Pot hole filling machine they purchased)
Old 8th July 2015, 06:32   #8540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
yes yes I did. Hopefully bmtc learns from their big brother ksrtc but currently at least ..
Old 8th July 2015, 21:20   #8541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///////M7 View Post
My recent visit to bangalore, was apalling to say the least.
==========
With the increase of the number of people coming from cities/towns/villages from all parts of india with different cultures an way of driving, the situation has only become worse! In my humble opinion, the following should be done:
1) make fines steeper and punish people for negligence.
2) make it mandatory fr all drivers from different states to attend a mandatory RTO test before they are given permission to drive on roads here. This can help us catch people who would obtain licenses by bribing and not by merit!
3. Police should educate public about how offenses impact safety of citizens and the driver himself/herself (for eg: driving on footpaths impacts pedestrians' safety, the fine for the offence is ₹ X, along with imprisonment)
4. Right hiring of policemen to ensure law an order is maintained. Most people can get away with anything by bribing the traffic cop
Old 9th July 2015, 07:16   #8542
Senior - BHPian

I see all those and more on the blr roads though. I do wish the cops would start a fine collection drive, especially the indicab / tempo traveler crowd would be enough for a substantial sum all by themselves.
Old 9th July 2015, 07:35   #8543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I see all those and more on the blr roads though. I do wish the cops would start a fine collection drive, especially the indicab / tempo traveler crowd would be enough for a substantial sum all by themselves.
First of all do we get to see traffic cops at all major bottlenecks. NO. The locals don the role of traffic cops to regulate traffic. I have seen this on a number of occasions.
Assuming we have enough cops to handle the situation, i would recommend the following
There is no use of displaying signboards showing the fine details. This will not work with cabbies, auto drivers etc. They are basically rogues. The proverb says TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORNS. Many a times we find vehicles parked in NO PARKING ZONE, blocking the roads etc. I would advise the cops to simply deflate the tyres. Every time the vehicles are parked in such restricted zones, deflate the tyres.
See the result for yourself. People will dare to park their vehicles next time.

For other violations like not wearing seat belts, rash driving etc. simply seize the vehicles and ask the owners to come to court to collect the same after paying fine.

If you can think of any other such means, jot them down. Sometimes we have to resort to such tactics to instill discipline among st road users.
Old 9th July 2015, 07:49   #8544
Senior - BHPian

The cops already have that bad habit of deflating tyres - even puncturing the sidewall. There have been enough rants about that - and that is a 4k or more damage to the tyre, disproportionate for an illegal parking offense. Though this has been done more than once (where a local corporator / residents assoc chased the police and asked them to get it done to a bunch of TTs parked in a park the residents wanted to use).

There ARE periodic fine collection drives but these seem to be end of the month affairs when their quotas (or their pockets, for umm.. "unofficial" collections) are running short and need to be made up.
Old 9th July 2015, 08:14   #8545
BHPian

BWSSB has again dug up the road on the Sarjapur Road Ring Road Junction. The left turn towards Ring Road from Iblur was completely closed when passed through at 6:15 AM. I had to go on the other side of the median (towards Sarjapur) and then take a left turn to the Ring Road.

The way road condition was, I was not confident that it will be opened before rush hour.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 08:47   #8546
Senior - BHPian

Looks like BWSSB is hell bent on creating mayhem and chaos in the IT corridors.
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/47965440.cms

These guys think that they own the roads. There are stringent laws against destruction of public property. I wonder why cops are desisting in taking action against this moronic agency for destroying almost all the main and cross roads in and around ITPL and Whitefield. Their quality of work is so pathetic that the most manholes in the newly laid drainage pipes in and around ITPL main road are popping up more than half a feet. No standards, no supervision, just let some unskilled untrained labourers run riot digging well paved roads and pavements and scooting.

Last edited by poloman : 9th July 2015 at 08:49.
Old 9th July 2015, 08:48   #8547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
BWSSB has again dug up the road on the Sarjapur Road Ring Road Junction. The left turn towards Ring Road from Iblur was completely closed when passed through at 6:15 AM. I had to go on the other side of the median (towards Sarjapur) and then take a left turn to the Ring Road.

The way road condition was, I was not confident that it will be opened before rush hour.

Regards
It seemed that they had dug it up at night, from prying eyes.
They were fixing it up in the morning using - Rubble and Mud.

Will be super dusty and slippery and dangerous as the rush hour traffic builds up.
Old 9th July 2015, 08:58   #8548
BHPian

They're absolute nincompoops aren't they?
This road was dug up a while back, patched up badly, then the road sunk in, and then it was patched up better, and now these idiots come and dig it up again!
Old 9th July 2015, 09:12   #8549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
They're absolute nincompoops aren't they?
This road was dug up a while back, patched up badly, then the road sunk in, and then it was patched up better, and now these idiots come and dig it up again!
That's the circle of life which drives our economy and generates employment. Times of India had an ad which showed how this is a regular feature of our life.
Old 9th July 2015, 09:26   #8550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
That's the circle of life which drives our economy and generates employment. Times of India had an ad which showed how this is a regular feature of our life.
It's really sad. I had been to Germany recently, and saw the quality of roads, and the road etiquette there. The road signs everywhere, the clear demarcation of lanes, white lines for stopping, the speed guns, cameras etc. Our country is far lacking in all these necessary details.

Most Viewed