Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 21:18   #8476
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Planning to take the shorter route as marathalli - varthur can be hell during weekend evenings. How bad is the not tarred section? Crater like potholes or gravel mud and stones?
The longer & better route is through Panathur main road which connects to Varthur near Varthur Police Station. ; you do not need to take Marathalli - Varthur road.

The shorter route is basically untarred with the upper surface is made up of stones of small sizes.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 22:30   #8477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Irrespective to the direction you are travelling, this is a total IT corridor and jams are bound to happen at 5:30PM. 2 hours is on a positive side.
Soumyajit, I did this route yesterday, and unbelievably, it took only 1 hour and 15 minutes! Started at 5.30 sharp from Banshankari, crossed silk board by 6.05 and then on was smooth sailing except at an underpass near JP Morgan and in front of innovative multiplex, Marathahalli. Reached Thubarahalli by 6.45. Even Kundalahalli gate signal was cleared much faster than I expected.
May be it was a one off day and I was plain lucky. Could see heavy traffic on the opposite side though.
Old 28th June 2015, 18:08   #8478
BHPian

Guys, next week(Monday to Friday) I need to travel to IBC knowledge park on BG road from my home near JP Morgan/Kadubisenahalli. Start time will be around 7-30 AM from my home. In the return leg, I'll start from my office at 5-30 PM. Please suggest optimum route considering morning and evening traffic.
Old 28th June 2015, 19:34   #8479
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Guys, next week(Monday to Friday) I need to travel to IBC knowledge park on BG road from my home near JP Morgan/Kadubisenahalli. Start time will be around 7-30 AM from my home. In the return leg, I'll start from my office at 5-30 PM. Please suggest optimum route considering morning and evening traffic.
I think IBC Knowledge park is on Bannerghatta road somewhere near Oracle and the Fire station, close to Christ College. Hence NICE Road is not an option, just too much detour. You will have to bite the bullet and take the roads that will probably be clogged in the evening hours.
From Kadubeesanahalli on Outer Ring Road, proceed towards Silk Board and turn right below the flyover (that goes perpendicular), onto Hosur Road, this will take you towards Forum Mall. At the signal before Forum, take the left fork towards Christ College (also the road on which the Forum has another entrance/exit). Just after Christ college, turn left onto Bannerghatta road and somewhere close by is your destination on the left.

Other option is to proceed straight at Silk Board towards BTM Layout and at the Jayadeva signal turn right onto Bannerghatta Road. Now your destination is on the right side after SPAR supermarket, but you may find it difficult to make a U-turn, not too sure.

Last edited by NPV : 28th June 2015 at 20:02.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 20:41   #8480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been doing this route every day from the past 2 years. My personal recommendation is:

Do not touch Silk Board under any circumstances. After Iblur, get to Jakkasandra on Sarjapur road, and proceed to Forum on Hosur road. Christ College is a bottleneck, so you could try going on to Adugodi, take left and hit Bannerghatta road at MICO factory.

The U-turn in front of Spar is kinda do-able, it is easier peak time when cops man the break in the median.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 22:03   #8481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ankan, morning no problem. Evening make sure you get out of IBCKP at or before 1730 else you will wish you were not born!
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 23:03   #8482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I have been doing this route every day from the past 2 years. My personal recommendation is:

Do not touch Silk Board under any circumstances. After Iblur, get to Jakkasandra on Sarjapur road, and proceed to Forum on Hosur road. Christ College is a bottleneck, so you could try going on to Adugodi, take left and hit Bannerghatta road at MICO factory.

The U-turn in front of Spar is kinda do-able, it is easier peak time when cops man the break in the median.
G-maps is showing this route , is this the one you mentioned? From what I see in the map, Sarjapur Road from St. John's hospital to Jakkasandra is one-way?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Ankan, morning no problem. Evening make sure you get out of IBCKP at or before 1730 else you will wish you were not born!
Thanks for the tip. Is it as bad as Ecospace in Bellandur?
Old 29th June 2015, 06:37   #8483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
G-maps is showing this route , is this the one you mentioned? From what I see in the map, Sarjapur Road from St. John's hospital to Jakkasandra is one-way?
Yes, this stretch is one way now. This is the route to take and will be better than going through silk board. One variation I typically use is to go further on orr and turn right under the hsr flyover towards Jakkasandra. This will help escape any mess under the agara flyover
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 10:52   #8484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
The foam at the Bellandur end of Bellandur lake....spoke about this in one my earlier posts
Well a couple of days back there was an incident on that very narrow bridge. A truck was trying to cross the bridge coming from the Yemalur direction. Since nobody was stopping for him to pass, the truck driver was trying to sneak in 1-2 feet at a time. Then suddenly a new red Polo came from the opposite direction and tried it's luck to squeeze into whatever space was left. What ensued was a deadlock.
The truck driver was urging the Polo driver to go ahead as he thought that there was some space. The Polo driver now got a bit doubtful at the turn. People who have been there will realize that around the edges of the bridge there are some potholes which gives you a feeling that the tires might go off the bridge/road but usually it is not the case. So probably this confused the Polo's driver and he suddenly wanted to back off from the turn. But while doing so he turned his steering slightly too much causing his bumper to get stuck into the truck's tires and as he was reversing, the bumper came out in one big piece and dislodged from the polo. What ensued was a blame game for 5 odd minutes. When the cabs behind them had seen enough they came out and started abusing both of them. The poor polo driver did not go any further but reversed his car back all the way. Seeing an opening our biker gang attacked from the both sides and in the ensuing chaos a lady braked suddenly when she saw a biker cutting across my standing car. Unfortunately she slipped and fell down with her bike just besides me. I rolled my windows down and asked her if she was okay. She said she is okay and started blaming the biker who cut across in front of her. I said no problems , just calm down your nerves first and if possible take a break for a couple of minutes. But she was in some hurry and just drove away.

Last edited by CapnCook : 29th June 2015 at 10:54.
CapnCook is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 11:41   #8485
BHPian

So on saturday I was walking along sarjapur road near big bazaar express with my kid. I was walking on the unpaved shoulder holding my kid's hand and as usual the entire stretch from iblur signal to bellandur gate was jammed (when it is not right!!). Now bikers and small vehicles and sometimes even cars start driving on the unpaved shoulder even after seeing that the shoulder has blocks upfront (utility poles, drainage manholes etc etc.). All they manage is to get few feet ahead of the standstill traffic and then create another mini jam when they have nowhere to go.
Anyway, since I was walking with my kid I decided that I am going to stand my ground (remember I was walking on the unpaved part of the road and not anywhere near the paved part). A SUV tried to bully me but then decided it was not worth it and moved back into the paved portion of the road. A bullet biker behind me honked for some time but seeing no response from me asked me to move. Now the new avatar of "me" has decided that getting into fights or trying to imbibe traffic sense int our drivers is a waste of time and energy. So my new approach is to act surprised and look down at the road and then sideways on the paved road as if I am blind. I turned to the bike guy and said "I thought I was going blind for a minute". Not sure what that guy understood but he said "it does not matter" and made his way into the paved portion of the road.
etrast75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 11:48   #8486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
So on saturday I was walking along sarjapur road near big bazaar express with my kid. I was walking on the unpaved shoulder holding my kid's hand and as usual the entire stretch from iblur signal to bellandur gate was jammed (when it is not right!!). Now bikers and small vehicles and sometimes even cars start driving on the unpaved shoulder even after seeing that the shoulder has blocks upfront (utility poles, drainage manholes etc etc.). All they manage is to get few feet ahead of the standstill traffic and then create another mini jam when they have nowhere to go.
Anyway, since I was walking with my kid I decided that I am going to stand my ground (remember I was walking on the unpaved part of the road and not anywhere near the paved part). A SUV tried to bully me but then decided it was not worth it and moved back into the paved portion of the road. A bullet biker behind me honked for some time but seeing no response from me asked me to move. Now the new avatar of "me" has decided that getting into fights or trying to imbibe traffic sense int our drivers is a waste of time and energy. So my new approach is to act surprised and look down at the road and then sideways on the paved road as if I am blind. I turned to the bike guy and said "I thought I was going blind for a minute". Not sure what that guy understood but he said "it does not matter" and made his way into the paved portion of the road.
Now I understand how ahimsa helped Mahatma Gandhi win Independence for India against the British Rule.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:24   #8487
BHPian

This can't be off topic but I am just on the verge of a mental breakdown at the traffic that one has to confront with at a level cross bang in the middle of Horamavu main road. All thanks to the traffic that is completely unorganized out there. Or wait a minute, the roads are organized, it is the people who are on them who aren't is the right way to go about it probably. Once the gates are down for the trains to pass, people just go mad, impatient, uncivilized, barbaric and I think I have run of words to describe, but I am sure you get the idea. It is a 2 lane road where people going onwards drive on the left or assume to be driving on the left. But what happens is when the gate's closed, people tend to skip the idea of driving on the left and wait for the gates to open on the wrong side of the road!! I just can't relate what goes through the minds of these mindless folks (yes it is the F word I meant) when the gate opens up, because you have the same amount of people on the wrong side of the road on the other side too, the traffic comes to a dead halt. If everybody were to plonk their vehicles on the correct lanes and follow some discipline here, there is no way the traffic in this area could go out of control every time the gate opens and closes. I beg if there is anybody on this forum who goes through that road reading this, for the love of god please follow the lane discipline, save your time as well as the precious time of others too.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:28   #8488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
This can't be off topic but I am just on the verge of a mental breakdown at the traffic that one has to confront with at a level cross bang in the middle of Horamavu main road. All thanks to the traffic that is completely unorganized out there. Or wait a minute, the roads are organized, it is the people who are on them who aren't is the right way to go about it probably. Once the gates are down for the trains to pass, people just go mad, impatient, uncivilized, barbaric and I think I have run of words to describe, but I am sure you get the idea. It is a 2 lane road where people going onwards drive on the left or assume to be driving on the left. But what happens is when the gate's closed, people tend to skip the idea of driving on the left and wait for the gates to open on the wrong side of the road!! I just can't relate what goes through the minds of these mindless folks (yes it is the F word I meant) when the gate opens up, because you have the same amount of people on the wrong side of the road on the other side too, the traffic comes to a dead halt. If everybody were to plonk their vehicles on the correct lanes and follow some discipline here, there is no way the traffic in this area could go out of control every time the gate opens and closes. I beg if there is anybody on this forum who goes through that road reading this, for the love of god please follow the lane discipline, save your time as well as the precious time of others too.
This is the same perennial problem at all level crossings. People do not have time at their disposal as they are very busy.So they stop in front of the gates so as to squeeze their way out.
I have experienced the same at Panathur level crossing at around 10 PM
Old 29th June 2015, 16:01   #8489
Team-BHP Support

This isn't just a level-crossing issue, it's everywhere.

Give anyone on our streets a choice between hanging back a few car lengths and being delayed for a few mins in 'moving' traffic OR barging ahead in a hurry and causing a gridlock that takes forever to clear, no prizes for guessing what most people would do.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th June 2015 at 16:03.
Old 29th June 2015, 18:15   #8490
BHPian

Potholes have been patched up from bellandur bridge(from prestige tech park) towards kempapura road. Its not filled till the dead end but only half way till that ittina apts(hope I got apt name right). Feels better to drive now. No offroading now

Most Viewed