Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 18:48   #8611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Thankfully saw some work going on at the road today. Hopefully it will be complete before the evening. But it rained the past 2 days and might rain again today. Wonder how the tarmac will hold up
My son while returning from St Francis school koramangala this afternoon said he saw machines laying tar on the madiwala market road.
I too confirmed the same while coming on that road later in the evening.
Trust me , it is only a matter of time before the patchwork comes off, courtesy the rains in bangalore and the quality of patchwork.
Old 21st July 2015, 19:08   #8612
Distinguished - BHPian

Do anyone here agree that honking during a traffic hold-up or during heavy rains is absolutely needless? Why do people panic when rains start, I'm sure their cars won't melt in the water. If everyone drove with a certain co-ordination and at medium speeds without criss-crossing, honking or headlight flashing I'm sure even in rains we'd all get home as usual.

The fear of rains causing vehicle backlogs and flooding drives people to insanity. This isn't Mumbai, cant people handle an hours worth of downpour? I simply don't get it, every whit of logic & common-sense flies out the window the minute the average driver shuts the door of the car. Why cant things just get better? Rules are there for a reason, so are windshield wipers, headlights, indicators etc, we must all go back to the way driving began without taking all of these features for granted.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 19:31   #8613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If everyone drove with a certain co-ordination and at medium speeds without criss-crossing, honking or headlight flashing I'm sure even in rains we'd all get home as usual.
Mate You have quoted a wonderful point. But it will not work out in this city. First of all people are aware of the pathetic state of affairs of the road. Say if it rains, you do not know how deep a pothole is. The last thing you want is to get stranded on the road after landing into a pothole.
The second point is everyone wants to reach home first. Now this is next to impossible. Unfortunately the grey matter of the commuters seem to lack this basic common sense.
The combo of the above points I mentioned is what we are seeing in bangalore everyday. Incessant honking, cris crossing and flashing headlights.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 22:34   #8614
BHPian

Quote:
This isn't Mumbai, cant people handle an hours worth of downpour?
I beg to differ a bit. During my long stint at Mumbai, getting wet in the rains was one of the things that everyone was prepared for and took in their strides. Wrapping mobile phones and laptops in polythene before starting walk back or riding was a necessary ritual.

Getting back to Bangalore, here's a hypothetical conversation I see happening:

Student: What to do if the legal way is too long?
Sri Chaitanya Techno Schools​: Just do whatever you want, after all laws are not compulsory. Just guidelines to be followed if convenient...

I may have reservations about Phase 1 traffic restrictions at Whitefield in terms of unnecessarily long diversions at places, no place for pedestrians to cross safely and the dreaded life threatening scissor shape traffic crossings across dividers/lanes.

However not sure what kind of education is being imparted here, by school buses no less, being driven wrong side across the road near Sri Chaitanya Techno School at ITPL Main Road at Hoodi. By no means I am ignoring the fact that the added travel time would be a hardship to young students, but who would assume responsibility if one of these vehicles was hit by one of the numerous tanker trailers plying on this road at all times, and there was an injury or casualty?

Have raised BTP Public Eye violations no. 23180 and 181 for the 2 buses clearly seen here.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-chaitanya.jpg  

NowNew7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:25   #8615
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
Have raised BTP Public Eye violations no. 23180 and 181 for the 2 buses clearly seen here.
Have seen this many times but never been in a position to take a picture, thanks for reporting this!
I just hope they take some action and do not revert with reasons like violation not clear, location not clear, vehicle registration # not clear, etc as I've heard that from several people who have reported such incidents in the past.

Specifically, due to the location of this school, if they have to take the correct way it would mean they go past Hoodi signal, left on Hoodi road all the way to ATM junction, make a right U turn towards Graphite road and then get back to ITPL Main road via ABB junction and Hoodi signal again, hence they use this very convenient shortcut

Last edited by NPV : 22nd July 2015 at 10:28.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:44   #8616
BHPian

Terrible jam from banaswadi junction (not sure how far it is backed up in hebbal direction), all the way till KR pura railway station. Again more than usual jam from mahadevpura till doddenakundi signal in ORR.
sbalagru6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:57   #8617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Have seen this many times but never been in a position to take a picture, thanks for reporting this!
I just hope they take some action and do not revert with reasons like violation not clear, location not clear, vehicle registration # not clear, etc as I've heard that from several people who have reported such incidents in the past.

Specifically, due to the location of this school, if they have to take the correct way it would mean they go past Hoodi signal, left on Hoodi road all the way to ATM junction, make a right U turn towards Graphite road and then get back to ITPL Main road via ABB junction and Hoodi signal again, hence they use this very convenient shortcut
Residing in Hoodi and commuting to EPIP, we were mute victims of this mess from day one, the one-way traffic was implemented.
The one way did not consider the people residing in Hoodi, especially in the Basavanna Nagar Road (Gopalan International School).

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...cfe99c5c3af848

There are multiple apartments in that stretch, leave alone individual houses.
The residents of the road have both the sides blocked with one-way (near the Graphite India signal and Hoodi signal) and getting to the main road, meaning they have to circle around 4-5 kms and they decide to take that shortcut.
I am not justifying the stand here, but just highlighting the apathy of the residents and poor planning of the authorities. Similar to Whitefield Rising FB group, there was a Hoodi Rising group in FB, which was trying to highlight this issue to the authorities, but didn't see any action coming.

Nevertheless, the School Bus coming in a wrong way is definitely not justified.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:42   #8618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I just hope they take some action and do novert with reasons like violation not clear, location not clear, vehicle registration # not clear, etc as I've heard that from several people who have reported such incidents in the past.
I see both complaints have been booked by BTP. Thanks for raising the complaint.

Has anyone here raised a public eye complaint for "Violating lane discipline"? I've tried multiple times for the numerous queue jumpers who purposefully block on-coming traffic. These "smart ones" are cleared first by the traffic cops manning the junctions, as their first priority is to ease the traffic flow. In all of my reports, I have captured the vehicles in the wrong lane, and also instances which show vehicles from the opposite direction having to go off-roading (literally!) to avoid these bad drivers. In all such instances, my public eye complaints have been rejected with a reason saying "Violation not found in the image"!!

Has anyone successfully had a "Lane violation" complaint booked via public eye portal?

For reference, here is one example of what I've explained above.

Submitted image:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20150710_101213.jpg

BTP's response:
Name:  dd.png
Views: 818
Size:  10.2 KB
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:59   #8619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I simply don't get it, every whit of logic & common-sense flies out the window the minute the average driver shuts the door of the car.
Have observed the following in BLR now for past 9 years and having stayed at Kolkata and Mumbai earlier. No offence meant to anyone!

Four wheelers:
1. Headlights (and every other driving lights) on with some on high-beam, even during a mid-day shower
2. Flashers on
3. Rear fogs on (supremely irritating in bumper-to-bumper traffic for the following vehicle)
4. Driving at 5 km/hr (even mighty SUVs like the Fortuner) bang in the middle of the road
5. Queuing up for miles beforehand to avoid 6 inches of water (very common)
6. Interiors totally misted up, absolutely NO idea on HVAC options resulting in a rolling danger-zone
7. Stopping haphazardly wherever they can to wait out the rain causing untold dangers to other traffic
8. Driving totally irrationally and tailgating vehicles on extremely wet roads (having sudden pools of water, tremendous scope for sudden aquaplaning) AFTER the rain to reach somewhere!

Two wheelers:
1. Headlights on with some on high-beam, even during a mid-day shower (maybe justified, not the high beam)
2. Driving at 60+ km/hr and swerving like mad in wet. misty and totally unsuitable conditions
3. Driving at 60+ km/hr BEFORE impending rain to reach somewhere (heaven/hell I think)
4. Queuing up for miles beforehand to avoid 6 inches of water (very common, maybe justified, jury's out)
5. Bunching up at every covered area like flyovers, underpasses etc. to wait out the rain
6. Squeezing into any gap possible in stationary traffic to escape rain (maybe justified, jury's out)
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:01   #8620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
I see both complaints have been booked by BTP. Thanks for raising the complaint.

Has anyone here raised a public eye complaint for "Violating lane discipline"? I've tried multiple times for the numerous queue jumpers who purposefully block on-coming traffic. These "smart ones" are cleared first by the traffic cops manning the junctions, as their first priority is to ease the traffic flow. In all of my reports, I have captured the vehicles in the wrong lane, and also instances which show vehicles from the opposite direction having to go off-roading (literally!) to avoid these bad drivers. In all such instances, my public eye complaints have been rejected with a reason saying "Violation not found in the image"!!
In the absence of proper lane markings, proving that these vehicles aren't in the correct lane is not easy on our part. BTP in its infinite wisdom chooses to take the easy way out and reject the violation.
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:48   #8621
BHPian

Not a rant, rather a compliment for usually abused drivers in Bangalore -
Place - U turn at Veeranpalya flyover for Manyata Tech park
For last few weeks, I see car drivers forming a proper lane to make a U turn under the flyover, during peak time this lane extends to more than a KM, still everyone follow the queue and join it from it's tail.
Usually there is a traffic warden just before the start of flyover and almost all drivers wait patiently, showing a behavior which is hard to find in India. kudos
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:21   #8622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
My son while returning from St Francis school koramangala this afternoon said he saw machines laying tar on the madiwala market road.
I too confirmed the same while coming on that road later in the evening.
Trust me , it is only a matter of time before the patchwork comes off, courtesy the rains in bangalore and the quality of patchwork.
Sadly, they have only patched up some of the worse sections of the road. Back to square one!!
Old 22nd July 2015, 23:40   #8623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Terrible jam from banaswadi junction (not sure how far it is backed up in hebbal direction), all the way till KR pura railway station. Again more than usual jam from mahadevpura till doddenakundi signal in ORR.
Should we avoid this route tomorrow? Was trapped for an hour.

Last edited by proton : 22nd July 2015 at 23:41.
Old 23rd July 2015, 08:47   #8624
BHPian

Saw this news on TOI. Hope this method instigates little sense in ths minds of the offenders.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/48181188.cms
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:47   #8625
Senior - BHPian

Saw this news clipping in TOI Bangalore edition. Couple were locked inside a BMTC bus as the husband did not have the ID card. He had the soft copy in the mobile which was not accepted by the conductor and driver.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...aign=TOI_AShow

Last edited by suresh_gs : 23rd July 2015 at 09:48.

Most Viewed